Good American Style Bacon In Thailand

Now that the boyfriend's back and he's cooking breakfasts for me, we grabbed the first packet of bacon off the shelf and tried to cook and eat it. Thick, tough, too much fat, and it fries up like red cardboard. Does Thailand have a brand or type of bacon like what I remember from America? Thin slices, not very much fat, and it curls up nice and crispy and dry, crunching easily in the mouth? I'd enjoy a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, or a bacon cheeseburger, with bacon like that.

The butcher section a Foodland has some decent bacon. Similar to what you get in the US. Still a little more fat than I care for but much closer than most others have to offer.

When I lived in Japan I actually found a store that shipped bacon in frozen from the US to cater to this specific need – who says $10 bucks is too much for a pound of bacon.

Well, I don't know about thin slices; I've always liked my bacon sliced thick.

Anyway, at the new Food Hall at Central Chitlom, at the deli meats counter, they have good bacon. It does not come in prewrapped packages; you tell the person behind the counter how much you want from the slab in the display. Not too fat, enough to give it some flavor, though. And, as I said I like, fairly thick slices. Fries up nice an crispy and does not curl but will lie flat on the plate.

Look for the yellow and red packages made by " Thai/german meats " I found it to be the best .

DO check to make sure it's fresh . Usually not fresh when you see liquid running around the inside of the package .

Thanks for your replies so far. We went to Tesco and found a brand called Bangkok bacon, which was almost thin enough for this American, and it fried up fairly crispy. I don't travel all the way to BKK for bacon, and we don't have a Foodland.

I think we'll eat BLT sandwiches tomorrow with mayonnaise.

Thanks for your replies so far. We went to Tesco and found a brand called Bangkok bacon, which was almost thin enough for this American, and it fried up fairly crispy. I don't travel all the way to BKK for bacon, and we don't have a Foodland.

I think we'll eat BLT sandwiches tomorrow with mayonnaise.

I have to say that while I find the Suphanbri tescos deficient in many areas the bacon appears to be OK. It becomes a bit sweaty after opening but this does not prevent it from turning into an acceptable BLT. Sometimes decent lettuce is hard to find though...

Ah...the BLT...just like my Grandma used to make for me when I was a kid in her kitchen on Paris Avenue in Nashville Tennessee back in the 1950s...

there never was a more sentimentally evocative food item IMHO...I useta eat lots when unemployed in Suphan...

Don't knw where you located, so I will punt, if anywhere around Udon or Nongkia, there is a lady there maried to an American who smokes bacon just like they do in the states. I assume she would cut the way you want if you ask. If it will help you I will give your her phone number. :o

Sometimes decent lettuce is hard to find though...

Never had a problem with lettuce, the tomatoes here don't have much flavor however. :o

where we live I usually get the tomatoes down the local market...grown locally, small and somewhat deformed they are quite fresh and very tasty...gots to go to tesco to get lettuce. It's usually been on display for a week and the outer leaves are brown. When they are removed there ain't much lettuce left, maybe enough for 3-4 BLTs...

if you shred the lettuce rather than using whole leaves the head goes farther...

Look for the yellow and red packages made by " Thai/german meats " I found it to be the best .

I'll second that. I've had the best success frying this type crisp versus other brands and I always make my bacon crisp, almost burnt.I've seen the full gamut of Oscar Mayer products at Villa; quite pricey though.

And a tip for anyone who likes bacon--make sure to try "moo dat dio" at Thai restaurants. It's a very common dish found about anywhere, excellent and very bacon like in taste. Hot strips of dried, salted pork kind of like jerky.