Mekong River Fishing

STRETTIG

Hi, a good friend of mine is a passionate angler and wants to visit me in Thailand towards end of the year, so plenty of time to prepare. Problem: I have no idea of fishing, I just eat them. my friends idea is to do a kind of adventure fishing in the Mekong river; he has no intention to go to one of the angling bordello style lakes filled with fish just to pull out. So he is looking for a more natural approach. Can anyone advise me of nice locations at the Thai Mekong river where it is reasonably possible (for a Farang) to catch fish ? Or any other specific recommendation on that secret place where fish just jumps into your basket (you see I'm definitely an ignorant in that field). Any help appreciated, I want to organize a nice stay for that guy. Thanks in advance

I have never been wild fishing but I have heard the chances of catching anything is not good, big fish like the Mekong catfish are virtually impossible to catch in the wild, you might catch small stuff!! Fishing parks are the way to go here, BSR being one of the best!

...and can you imagine if you hooked a 200 kilo wild one biggrin.png

Good luck but I think you'll struggle. All of the mekong is fished heavily. You may get a few sawaii but then I'm not sure what bait you'd use for a wild mekong catfish. They don't tend to take lam as readily as the park kind.

Re-introduced fish are brought up on trout pellets and lam.

thanks guys. My wife talked to some lopcal People from Ubon Rathathani area; the say the get decent fish there, but of corse not as much and as big as in the farms. anyhow, we will try our luck in the moon river-Mekong area east of Ubon. will Keep you posted on the results

• 6 months later...

hi all, thanks for your comments. based on this and other Information I gathered we skipped the Mekong river fishing and decided to go to the Kao Laem Dam Area. anyone has experience with fishing in that place ? all comments welcome.

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
...and can you imagine if you hooked a 200 kilo wild one biggrin.png

Good luck but I think you'll struggle. All of the mekong is fished heavily. You may get a few sawaii but then I'm not sure what bait you'd use for a wild mekong catfish. They don't tend to take lam as readily as the park kind.

Re-introduced fish are brought up on trout pellets and lam.

Being filter feeders they would be impossible to catch with rod and line in the wild, some monsters are caught in fisherman's nets from time to time?