Wages For The New School Year

At the end of last term, two native English teachers ( married couple) decided to move back to their country. Last term, we were short 2 native teachers and this coming term it will be 4 teachers. It appears

that the other schools in my small city are also having problems finding teaching candidates.

I've told the school, if you want candidates you'll have to offer more than 30,000 baht a month. I was told

that the other government schools in town were only paying 30,000 and they wanted to hold to that position.

The school sent out 5 job offers, but only 1 has been accepted. They said they are still waiting to hear from the other candidates. I've told them, they probably have other employment offers and they will

choose the best job.

Now, I'm hearing that my school is willing to improve the compensation because they said other schools are now offing more money.

I was wondering if those teachers that are looking for jobs this coming term from government schools are being offered 30,000 or above this level.

I normally live in Phuket with my family, but have been teaching in Myanmar because the salaries on offer to teachers in Phuket are 'laughable'.

A government school offers 30,000 baht, Kaj EP offers about 40,000 baht. Of course, this is before tax, WP fees etc. I am on almost 3 times that amount in Myanmar, tax-free.

I'd love to get back to Phuket to work as a teacher again, and would take a large pay decrease to achieve that. But after living expenses, tax etc are factored in, the 30k salary is reduced to virtually zero.

It looks like I need to stay outside Thailand :)

Simon

My daughter was offered her old job back at a government school last week - she left last year when she got pregnant. They have offered her 28,000 baht and said they can't go to 30,000 because they don't have enough money!

Looking back, I notice my former schools hiring Philippinos and folks from Africa. The latter accept 15,000 and the schools don't bother with a B-Visa, a WP or a teachers' license. A T-Visa and some basic English with a rough accent and limited vocab will do nicely, when the teacher is young and smiles a lot. More and more schools seem to use agencies -

it's a weird situation and I predict frantic ads in 6 weeks when there are the usual "no call, no show" or other teachers getting themselves fired within weeks. An agency asks for almost 50 k when it pays out the usual 30 k. And the WP paperwork isn't so tough and the schools could contract that out. But hey, they know best!