Social Golf, Come Join!

beerlao

Hi Guys,

I played golf in University and ever since not. I liked it very much and wish to play again. Now there have been 2 courses named in the other golf thread, but as to my knowledge, there are many more courses in the vicinity of Chiang Mai. Can anyone suggest the best golf course for a beginner with no clubs and 'balls'? If something comes up I would be happy if other people would join in and maybe make a regular social event out of it? Beginners and/or advanced players, whatever the mix. So thanks for any suggestions and maybe see you on the green soon.

beerlao :o

For getting started the Gymkhana has to be the best, mainly because you wont be spending an aful lot of money getting your game up to a reasonable standard (or a rubbish standard-whatever)

I would certainly be keen on getting involved in a little "Thaivisa Rubbish Golfers" society

TP

Hi Pauly,

I actually never played on a golf course before, we were just practising on the driving range, so I am sure you will put up a good fight;). Ok, so here are the facts: I have no golf shoes, no clubs, no membership. What will a round of let's say 9 holes cost me? What are the prices for the driving range? Anytime next week will be fine, but I think I will have to get warmed up on the driving range first, or the little grass left will have to suffer :D .

In case you are not sure of the rules or want refreshing: Rules

A friend of mine working at Suan Dork Hospital has been trying to get me out to play. I have to find out where he is playing because his course fees are not very much. However, for some reason my lower back has been causing me problems off and on for two weeks. Until that is sorted out will have to wait to try and join in. Thaipauly - doubt you will be worse then me. I've only been on a driving range many years ago and never played a full game. And my skills on a put-put course are pretty sad. :o

I'm not sure about the shoes BL, everything else you can hire, maybee buy yoourself a pair.

There is a golf store on the second floor of Central Department Store,

Clubs are really cheap there as well, but I would try playing a few times before you buy anything as you may not get on with the game, (many people don't) Its a good idea to get down the driving range , I think they do lessons at the Gymkhana Club, maybee the guy who posted on the other thread can fill you in if you pm him, also he will obviously know what costs what and would be thrilled to hear from you, so just pm him.

Tywais I am sorry to hear about your back, lower back pain certainly rules you out of a game for now, but when you are right again it would be great to meet up with you and anyone else from the forum who fancies a knock

Cheers ... or should that be "Fore"??

TP

I have a couple of friends who golf every Tues am for about 350 baht for a round of 9. They play somewhere just off Hang Dong Road at a course that just opened. Apparently, there are a lot of cheap places around. There is a 9 hole course on Mae Joe Road (Called Sansai Golf and Driving Range). I believe that it is 250 a round.

My wife and I are planning to start up in May. Both of us haven't golfed in 5 years so if you don't have anyone to go with, give us a shout - we're probably at the same level as you.

By the way, I've been looking for left-handed clubs for some time. If anybody comes across any, let me know.

Hi Guys,

I played golf in University and ever since not. I liked it very much and wish to play again. Now there have been 2 courses named in the other golf thread, but as to my knowledge, there are many more courses in the vicinity of Chiang Mai. Can anyone suggest the best golf course for a beginner with no clubs and 'balls'? If something comes up I would be happy if other people would join in and maybe make a regular social event out of it? Beginners and/or advanced players, whatever the mix. So thanks for any suggestions and maybe see you on the green soon.

Cannot say how much I would reccomend beginning with an instructor/teacher. Go to Lanna GC. Nice driving range. Ask around for an instructor. There are 2-3 thai guys that are usually there. Try them all before you settle on one particular one. Take 4-5 lessons before you start off. Then go to one of the par 9's around town till you get the hang of things. Nothing more frustrating than going out, not playing well, that's when ppl give up on the game. :D

"There is a 9 hole course on Mae Joe Road (Called Sansai Golf and Driving Range). I believe that it is 250 a round."

I use this course quite regularly when I'm home, the last time was in December and the cost then was 150 Baht, for this you could play the 9 holes as many times as you wanted. Whether it has gone up to 250 Baht I will be able to tell you about the 5th April when I get back.

You should be able to get by playing in trainers rather than purchasing golf shoes, initially anyway.

The one piece of golfing parapanalia I suggest you purchase if you play at Sansai is one of this extending ball retrievers used to get balls out of water hazards.

You pay for your day ticket at the main entrance to the driving range, where you can purchase bags of golf balls fairly cheaply.

I hope this helps

Well it seems that a few of the TV members like to join for a round of social golf at Gymkhana. I would like to join, have been playing a couple of years bit still a high handicapper.

What about coming Wednesday or Friday morning ?

Joop

Hi Guys,

I would be ok with either wednesday or friday. But as I said, I think I need a bid of practice on the driving range first. For you guys this must be a rather boring option. If you guys wanna start first, no problem, I will be heading out once or twice before I join you, maybe next week I should be prepared to give it a shot on a real golf course. Maybe you guys, that are interested can PM me your mobile phone number, so I can get in touch with you.

Hi Guys,

I went to Gymkhana yesterday to practice on the driving range. Prices are cheap. You pay 30 Baht for one club, I rented 3, so it was 90 Baht for the clubs. A rack of balls is 25 Baht (I think 40 balls). If you wanna play on the course you will have to pay 200 Baht for 9 holes and 400 Baht for 18 holes. If you need to rent a bag of clubs (300 Baht) and shoes (50 Baht), they are available at the office. Hope this info helps you guys. Please report how it went on the course. My swing is still bad, but I think next week I should definetely be ready to give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

This got moved from the CM forum I take it?

I would love to play but I fell up my stairs during Songkran (yes I was pissed) and I have bruised/ sprained/broken ribs.. it hurts whatever it is.

but give me 6 weeks and I am up for a game at Gymkhanna

• 3 weeks later...
"There is a 9 hole course on Mae Joe Road (Called Sansai Golf and Driving Range). I believe that it is 250 a round."

I use this course quite regularly when I'm home, the last time was in December and the cost then was 150 Baht, for this you could play the 9 holes as many times as you wanted. Whether it has gone up to 250 Baht I will be able to tell you about the 5th April when I get back.

You should be able to get by playing in trainers rather than purchasing golf shoes, initially anyway.

The one piece of golfing parapanalia I suggest you purchase if you play at Sansai is one of this extending ball retrievers used to get balls out of water hazards.

You pay for your day ticket at the main entrance to the driving range, where you can purchase bags of golf balls fairly cheaply.

I hope this helps

How far is this from Thae Pae Gate (Montri Hotel) My wife & I were in Chiang Mai for a month last Nov/Dec never heard of this golf course. Played once a week at Lanna Golg (Too expensive for 2). Appreciate info' on this. Regards, Les. :o