Building A House In Prachon Chai

Oystein

My vife and i have a ground in Prachon Chai and we are planning to build a house there this year. Does somebody know good places to by building/construction material in this area ? Am also planning to build a swimming pool, anybody knows where i can find somebody to do this job.

Am also interested if somebody have an idea about prices on construction material in this area or not to far away.

All possible information will be helpfull, Thanks

My vife and i have a ground in Prachon Chai and we are planning to build a house there this year. Does somebody know good places to by building/construction material in this area ? Am also planning to build a swimming pool, anybody knows where i can find somebody to do this job.

Am also interested if somebody have an idea about prices on construction material in this area or not to far away.

if you are interested, a mate of mine makes interlocking bricks, a lot better quality than the thai bricks, they would be about 9 inches x 5 inches, also about 6 inches width, all colours available, they are superb, grade A material, i am thinking of building a garage out of these, they interlock then you can pour concrete through the middle of them, a Thai Doctor in Prasat has built a house out of these, superb.

When building a property make sure you use a damm good builder and use grade A materiels, there are a lot of cowboys in Thailand. i built my property in 2000, i was lucky got family as builders, it is situated in Buriram. heres a pic.

post-9688-1142595994_thumb.jpg

if you are interested, a mate of mine makes interlocking bricks, a lot better quality than the thai bricks, they would be about 9 inches x 5 inches, also about 6 inches width, all colours available, they are superb, grade A material, i am thinking of building a garage out of these, they interlock then you can pour concrete through the middle of them, a Thai Doctor in Prasat has built a house out of these, superb.

When building a property make sure you use a damm good builder and use grade A materiels, there are a lot of cowboys in Thailand. i built my property in 2000, i was lucky got family as builders, it is situated in Buriram. heres a pic.

Thanks Thaicoon

I like to know more about the bricks from your mate, where is he located, do you know the price for these bricks ?

Am planning to go down to Thailand in April to look for and choose material and find somebody to do the job. Hopefully i will start the project in July.

Not sure if this will help but here is my two satang worth.

cost47_eng.pdf

Hi Oystein,

I have a house just outside Prachon Chai (15K's) towards Prasat. I built in 2000. I too have family in construction. I travel there once a month and shall be there from 1st-17th April. I have used various builders merchants in PC...and now have settled on one.

Give me a call when you are there . Hope I can help. +661-8244953 Re: swimming pool,....there I saw a thread relevant to this somewhere on this board.

I too am interested in the bricks mentioned by Thaicoon. Cheers, Off road

• 1 month later...
Hi Oystein,

I have a house just outside Prachon Chai (15K's) towards Prasat. I built in 2000.

Re: swimming pool,....there I saw a thread relevant to this somewhere on this board.

Hi Off Road,

I live in closely the same vicinity as you describe above and I have sent you an e-mail accordingly. On the subject of swimming pools, if you find anyone locally who has the skills to build one, I am interested.

If any of the guys out there on this forum have had a pool built in the Buriram/Surin area, I would be interested in talking with you if you have anyone to recommend.

Cheers.............RayBan

There are lots of tales of woe about farangs building houses in Isaan (but a lot of successes, too.)

We had a long-running thread on it, on General Topics a couple of years ago, and a suggestion that it was worth its own Forum, but I don't think anything came of that.

The best thing to do is to take PROFESSIONAL advice.

Try the Architecture Faculty at your nearest Regional University (maybe Khorat?; if not, Khon Kaen) for a 'steer' towards an appropriate architect, from whom you can choose a suitable house plan and then get a sound, honest Project Manager to oversee everything for you.

(You might strike lucky and get a youngish man who will do both the architect role and the Project Management role. If so, he will do a top-rate job, as he will want to build his reputation, and can't put the blame for anything wrong on anyone else.)

Get a recommended lawyer to look over the contract.

And then keep well away. (Don't be like a Yank that I know of. Kept interfering, with that bit of knowledge that is a dangerous thing. The 'grapevine' tells me that the building team quietly 'got their own back', and there are several nasty surprises built in to his house to gradually appear in years to come. Just what US or Brit builders would have done. Mercilessly.)

The good thing about building in Isaan is that there are excellent-quality locally-trained (so not expensive) professionals to serve you, and they can find top-notch craftsmen to work in the dry building season.

So many men from here went to work for years on five-star hotel construction, and so forth, that the tiling and plumbing skills, and so forth, are there to be found by the local professional. And those craftesmen are really happy to exercise their skills again, once their rice harvest is safely in.

I learnt all the above from a Thai lady who runs her fair-sized travel agency in Germany, where her husband is a senior eye surgeon. They have had their 'holidays now-retirement later' house built in a village near us and I was amazed at the quality and how little they had paid altogether.

Another approach is to act as your own architect, project manager, hirer-and-firer, materials-buyer and craft supervisor.

That will probably cost you more, and lots of things will go wrong, but you have the satisfaction of having had the experience.

A friend of mine in Chiang Mai, who did that, can entertain his visitors for hours, showing them things that are wrong with his house and explaining how they happened.

Hi

I too live in the same area - but I am just 13km from Prakhonchai.

We constructed our swimming pool 3 years ago; so if you are looking for info etc just drop me a messgage or call in if your passing.

We have the internet shop in Ban Posai.

Hi Oystein,

I have a house just outside Prachon Chai (15K's) towards Prasat. I built in 2000.

Re: swimming pool,....there I saw a thread relevant to this somewhere on this board.

Hi Off Road,

I live in closely the same vicinity as you describe above and I have sent you an e-mail accordingly. On the subject of swimming pools, if you find anyone locally who has the skills to build one, I am interested.

If any of the guys out there on this forum have had a pool built in the Buriram/Surin area, I would be interested in talking with you if you have anyone to recommend.

Cheers.............RayBan

Hi

I too live in the same area - but I am just 13km from Prakhonchai.

We constructed our swimming pool 3 years ago; so if you are looking for info etc just drop me a messgage or call in if your passing.

We have the internet shop in Ban Posai.

Hi Croftrobin,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated, I have just pm'd you.

Cheers.....RayBan