Briton And Malaysian Die In Separate Phuket Big Bike Smashes

webfact

Two foreigners dead in Phuket big bike smashes

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1366607004_1.jpg
Mr Loh's Kawasaki lies at the side of the road after the smash. Photo: Golf Thairath

PHUKET: -- A 33-year-old Briton wearing only a pair of blue shorts died just after midnight this morning (April 22) when he overshot the bend near Wat Tai on Chao Fa East Rd and smashed into the guard rail.

The man, who has not been named pending relatives being informed, was found lying on the ground surrounded by blood. Nearby was the 1,000cc Yamaha R1 superbike he had rented from a motorbike shop in Patong.

Police blamed speed for the accident; they said the man was seen by officers just before crash, driving very fast through a checkpoint.

Chalong Police Station Superintendent Pol Col Kitipas Dejintrasorn told The Phuket News, “Right now we are checking how it happened, and collecting CCTV footage from the accident site, along with witness accounts.”

The Briton’s death was the second in two days involving a big bike. On Saturday, Malaysian Loh Zhi Wei, 29 crashed and died just north of the notorious Baan Kor Ane bend in the north of the island.

At about 9.15am on Saturday Mr Loh was riding with friends from Malaysia, making their way home after Phuket Bike Week. Police believe he lost control then hit with roadside, falling and banging his head on the tarmac.

Despite wearing a helmet, he died. His body was sent to Haad Yai on the Thai-Malaysia border for repatriation today.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-foreigners-dead-in-phuket-big-bike-smashes-38836.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-22

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride in peace

I've seen so many inexperienced biker Deaths

It's time they made it compulsory to have a bike licence here

I've been riding 40 years

And even I get caught out now and again

God Bless

"It's time they made it compulsory to have a bike licence here" - it's probably time they had proper pubilc transport here so people wouldn't have to hire them and ride, particularly whilst intoxicated.

• Like 1

Ride in peace

God Bless

Great point but I think something more than this is required but I very much doubt anything will change especially in our lifetime.

Despite wearing a helmet, he died.

No kidding. Unless you buy your own helmet from an actual bike shop here you may as well be wearing a baseball cap.

Yes, most of the helmets you can buy here aren't approved. I bought my helmet in Sweden.

Ride in peace

God Bless

As far as I am aware if you reside in Thailand for more than 3 months you need a Thai drivers licence for bike or car I have both, however the test is so simple it is almost a joke R.I.P to the two deceased persons although I fail to understand why someone would ride a 1000cc at midnight in just shorts I never go on my bike without my helmet

Ride in peace

God Bless

Great point but I think something more than this is required but I very much doubt anything will change especially in our lifetime.

an international bike licence should be a must for foriegners riding over here, but riding without a helmet, riding fast etc I know one should not do it, but that is also the fun of riding over here , People like the challange and risk. Shouldnt do it definately, should not recommend it, but people will always want to do it anyway; on their heads be it. I have always enjoyed taking those crazy risks; not so much now I'm a little older. as long as you can ride ok and ride within your capability its only a little more chance of dying than climbing a tall ladder drunk,kite suffing nr rocks. or.driving a car blind folded.What never done that??? ps I did see a mention about drink driving where did that come from ? quite probable but a big assumtion he might just have nipped out for some condoms.,

Ride in peace

God Bless

As far as I am aware if you reside in Thailand for more than 3 months you need a Thai drivers licence for bike or car I have both, however the test is so simple it is almost a joke R.I.P to the two deceased persons although I fail to understand why someone would ride a 1000cc at midnight in just shorts I never go on my bike without my helmet

Ride in peace

God Bless

ah yes, a motorcycle licence.

"what colour this red dot? this yellow dot? this green dot?......ok!

press brake pedal when red light come on.........ok!

look at 2 sticks inside this box...........ok!

now you go pay over there....you got big bike licence".

"why thank you mr testing man, i will of course ride it sensibily".

RIP

What a tragedy for them and their families.

I have both car and bike licence and it was very easy to buy but only because I had full UK driving licence.

If they made having a licence compulsory BEFORE a bike is allowed to be hired that may help.

If a tourist has no "home" licence he should not get a local one without a full test and then be restricted to a less powerful machine.

Even then the test is somewhat of a joke but it would waste at least a day of the holiday and that may be enough to put someone off hiring.

Yes, most of the helmets you can buy here aren't approved. I bought my helmet in Sweden.

Quite right! I bring my BMW helmet out with me each time I come. Plus my armoured jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. Won't stop me getting killed in a head-on crash with a truck but might help in a more minor accident. As for riding in shorts (or a t-shirt), quite crazy. Just fall off at low speed and you can get serious skin injuries.

To ride a 1000cc bike at high speed and at night you will need several years of experience on 250-650cc bikes...

I often hear friends saying they wanna buy a 1000cc bike while they are still riding a 110cc scooter or an automatic car smile.png I just shake my head. LOL

you need not only a good helmet, but good clothing protection as well, a nice shoes, jacket, elbow and shoulder pads, gloves, and ideally back mount pad.

besides that Thai roads are so unpredictable, you can hit a pot and jackpot! you're dead.

When riding in the UK I always used the full gear clothing wise.

However, when travelling through France to Switzerland and Germany, it was so hot that the gloves filled with sweat. Once you got em off, and that was not easy, it was near impossible to put em back on. Same with the jacket, trousers and boots.

I would hate to try fully armoured clothing in this climate.

Ride in peace

God Bless

It is compulsory to have a bike licence here.

They need to fine bike rental shops that rent them without one.

Usual RIP before any comment regarding motor accidents in Thailand, before we jump on our bikes or get in our cars we know the state of the Thai roads and the standard of Thai driving so by driving in Thailand we have to accept responsibility for our own actions.

Despite wearing a helmet, he died.

No kidding. Unless you buy your own helmet from an actual bike shop here you may as well be wearing a baseball cap.

I wouldn't buy a helmet in Thailand. Most of them are just for decoration unless you buy from a proper bike gear shop in BKK. I buy my helmet in New Zealand and at least know that it has been certified and should do its job (no intention to test this theory though.....)

The accidents I have had in Phuket have always been due to the fine sand and grit and dirt that layer the roads so they are slick and dangerous. The quality of the roads is very dangerous. People unaccustomed to driving here can't see the potholes and layers of dirt in the roads and it's very easy to crash when you are driving at night, having had some alcohol or no alcohol. The lighting is bad in most areas. As for a better helmet, it's possible this man broke his neck, in that case a better helmet would not have safeguarded him from that type of deadly injury.

Edited by me313

Ride in peace

God Bless

ah yes, a motorcycle licence.

"what colour this red dot? this yellow dot? this green dot?......ok!

press brake pedal when red light come on.........ok!

look at 2 sticks inside this box...........ok!

now you go pay over there....you got big bike licence".

"why thank you mr testing man, i will of course ride it sensibily".

Thats not quite my experience of the bike test in Phuket. Rules of the road video has to be watched (suffered) followed by multiple choice interactive exam, followed by bike practical. All up, it is of course a load of <deleted>, but if either test was failed, no license was issued....

Midnight - only wearing shorts. No helmet, drinking, and first time on big bike (from other news accounts). I shake my head. RIP.

My only surprise is that there aren't more such amongst tourists stupid enough to ride without any gear, despite not having any riding experience.

When riding in the UK I always used the full gear clothing wise.

However, when travelling through France to Switzerland and Germany, it was so hot that the gloves filled with sweat. Once you got em off, and that was not easy, it was near impossible to put em back on. Same with the jacket, trousers and boots.

I would hate to try fully armoured clothing in this climate.

Ah, but my BMW gear is "Airflow", everything - jacket, trousers, gloves and even my boots. (Other manufacturers do them too I believe) They have excellent ventilation but still maintain strength and abrasion resistance. Hopeless in the wet of course, but I never ride in the rain if I can help it!