Briton And Malaysian Die In Separate Phuket Big Bike Smashes

webfact

The accidents I have had in Phuket have always been due to the fine sand and grit and dirt that layer the roads so they are slick and dangerous. The quality of the roads is very dangerous. People unaccustomed to driving here can't see the potholes and layers of dirt in the roads and it's very easy to crash when you are driving at night, having had some alcohol or no alcohol. The lighting is bad in most areas. As for a better helmet, it's possible this man broke his neck, in that case a better helmet would not have safeguarded him from that type of deadly injury.

Absolute piffle.

Yes the roads here are dangerous...but roads don't kill people....people kill themselves and, alas, they often kill others as well.

The chap riding the big bike drunk, at night, in shorts, didn't have an ACCIDENT. He committed SUICIDE.

• Like 2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These rides are a tourist attraction for sure, BUT, we read here all the time about guys and gals being wiped out. Nobody wants to stop fun but really these high HP rides should not be rented to tourists that have come to see the ''scenery''. sad.png

• Like 1

I was coming out of a small sub soi in Pattaya a few months ago and and a Englishman with shorts, no helmet and a wifebeater nearly ran me and the girlfriend over, and about 4 mototaxi riders. He yelled"Get out of my <deleted> way, I have a real bike". It was a 350cc. It didn't look that flash seconds later as it sped passed a few startled clothes sellers and banged into a 15 inch high wall hidden in the the grass. As he lay in agony all I heard was Som Nom nar and not one of his terrorised Thais went to help him. A bar girl called an ambulance but his holiday would have been cactus and I dare say his bike hire place would want a piece of the action. There is no need to hire a bike in Soi Bukhao Pattaya either.

• Like 1

People have choices, and regrettably he made some bad ones.

It is not the responsibility of the authorities to make choices for tourists, or their own citizens.

Riding a bike, inexperienced, not adequately clothed, and drunk is only going to end one way, if not this time, then next. Sad, but true.

• Like 1

As to protective clothing well yes it is way too hot here for the full gear you would wear in most of Europe and North America. If you do not believe me then just try it, no way as you just end up a sweaty uncomfortable mess and as such less able to concentrate on good safe riding.

After learning the lesson of not riding big bikes in shorts with a few leg scars to show for it (mainly burns) I now always wear at least strong Denim jeans for some minimal protection, especially against burns as had no more of those since I started doing just this. I also wear strong shoes / boots too and NEVER ride without even a basic Thai helmet, never have and never will as that is totally idiotic. I have currently a cheapo Index Thai made helmet, which is immeasurably better than not wearing one at all, but I have seen enough to now go and get myself a properly DoT rated REAL helmet when I have the spare cash. REAL are apparently the only Thai made properly rated safe helmets available and after looking at several models they are IMHO excellently made and comfortable. I love Shark helmets too of course, but they are so expensive and I feel really offer no more safety than the REAL equivalents from what I can see. It is just a difference in fashion (though REAL do also make very classy looking helmets too) and maybe in some cases comfort for your particular head shape and size. As they say "up to you".

It is surely also time that the Thai authorities seriously attacked the problem of potholes on the roads which are clearly responsible for countless deaths and injuries. This would be helped if the Government here held local authorities fully responsible for deaths and injuries caused by their inadequate and way too slow road repairs and the daily if needed clearing of sand and dirt too, with high compensation awards given against them if they fail in this basic and necessary duty, (as long as crash helmets are sensibly worn of course). This is what happens in most other civilised countries and no reason why it should not happen here too if our Government really care about it's people, and put their safety above self benefiting monetary concerns for a change. EVERY person's life is priceless and irreplaceable, wherever in the world you live, so let us all never forget that.

Anyway, back fully on topic. Nobody deserves to die even for stupidity of riding only in shorts and at speed, so RIP to both those poor guys and condolences to their families.

Edited by rayw

Midnight - only wearing shorts. No helmet, drinking, and first time on big bike (from other news accounts). I shake my head. RIP.

Thankfully he merely removed himself from the human gene pool rather than inflicting suffering on others.

Darwinism in evidence in Phuket.

To ride a 1000cc bike at high speed and at night you will need several years of experience on 250-650cc bikes...

I often hear friends saying they wanna buy a 1000cc bike while they are still riding a 110cc scooter or an automatic car smile.png I just shake my head. LOL

you need not only a good helmet, but good clothing protection as well, a nice shoes, jacket, elbow and shoulder pads, gloves, and ideally back mount pad.

besides that Thai roads are so unpredictable, you can hit a pot and jackpot! you're dead.

When riding in the UK I always used the full gear clothing wise.

However, when travelling through France to Switzerland and Germany, it was so hot that the gloves filled with sweat. Once you got em off, and that was not easy, it was near impossible to put em back on. Same with the jacket, trousers and boots.

I would hate to try fully armoured clothing in this climate.

I have ridden a BMWK1100RTt from UK around Europe, through Italy twice and have always worn full leathers etc even though sometimes you would stop & have sweat dripping from your arms. Never thought about doing other, even though I didn't have proper registration.

It did not matter on the continent as long as you had UK plates. Never had the UK sticker plate though. (Why should an Aussie pay for UK reg when you were not riding in the UK? Only had one close scrape on a roandabout looking the wrong way.

Don't do that though if you are not willing to walk away from your bike in the case of an accident though!

I have ridden a BMWK1100RTt from UK around Europe, through Italy twice and have always worn full leathers etc even though sometimes you would stop & have sweat dripping from your arms. Never thought about doing other, even though I didn't have proper registration.

It did not matter on the continent as long as you had UK plates. Never had the UK sticker plate though. (Why should an Aussie pay for UK reg when you were not riding in the UK? Only had one close scrape on a roandabout looking the wrong way.

Don't do that though if you are not willing to walk away from your bike in the case of an accident though!

So I assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) you also had no valid insurance. That's fine if you write your bike off and injure yourself. But irresponsible if you kill or injure a third party or damage property when you crash.

People have choices, and regrettably he made some bad ones.

It is not the responsibility of the authorities to make choices for tourists, or their own citizens.

Riding a bike, inexperienced, not adequately clothed, and drunk is only going to end one way, if not this time, then next. Sad, but true.

It's the responsibilities of the authorities to ensure a cartel does not monopolise the transport industry, an essential service, in one of Thailand's biggest tourist destinations, to the detriment of the tourist industry itself.

It's also the responsibility of the authorities to ensure tourist have transport choices and alternate transport options to hiring a motorbike.

Not everyone who has died on Phuket from drink driving/riding may have caught a baht bus or metered taxi home, however, many would have, and they would still be alive today, if the option, or choice, existed. It doesn't.

You post about what is not the responsibility of authorities - I post about what is the reponsibilities of authorities and, sadly, their corrupt behaviour has cost the lives of many on the roads here, many of them being innocent motorist.

You make it sound like Phuket runs the risk of becoming a "Nanny State."

Phuket NEEDS a proper public transport system if they are going to promote the island as a "world class tourist destination."

• Like 2

Midnight - only wearing shorts. No helmet, drinking, and first time on big bike (from other news accounts). I shake my head. RIP.

And yet you still say RIP

From all the evidence thus far he was the only person at fault.

He died .... maybe his own fault but we can have some compassion for him and respect for his family and friends

• Like 2

To ride a 1000cc bike at high speed and at night you will need several years of experience on 250-650cc bikes...

I often hear friends saying they wanna buy a 1000cc bike while they are still riding a 110cc scooter or an automatic car smile.png I just shake my head. LOL

you need not only a good helmet, but good clothing protection as well, a nice shoes, jacket, elbow and shoulder pads, gloves, and ideally back mount pad.

besides that Thai roads are so unpredictable, you can hit a pot and jackpot! you're dead.

That, and of course it all looks more cool and hi-so.

However, when travelling through France to Switzerland and Germany, it was so hot that the gloves filled with sweat. Once you got em off, and that was not easy, it was near impossible to put em back on. Same with the jacket, trousers and boots.

actually not a problem wear all of the time on rides outside of Chiang Mai,as long as your moving its ok

No shoes(boots) no real clothing drunk & speeding = NO BRAINS........sorry mate you had it coming...RIP

• Like 1

this is Thailand ,the land of the free.

Not to much rules, drink and drive .....almost no control !

freedom ......no big brother

If u act stupid ...you will feel it !

I u act verry stupid.......you probably die........

up to you

so why talk about it all the time ?

You can not change it !

This is a country where noboddy will prevent you from killing yourself (and sometimes some innocents ,sad but

that's life here !) Parents send a 6 y old to the liquershop on a Honda 125cc......this is normal here !

You are not used to it ,but noboddy asks your opinion,mind your own business !

If you can not adapt,go back to your safe country,this is the wild west and i love it !beatdeadhorse.gif

I appreciate your post. That is part of the attraction of Thailand for me. Not being a nanny country I have to be accountable for my own life If I get a motor bike I know that it is not if it is when I get in an accident. Just look at the number of experienced riders who say they have had their little accidents.

I choose not to take the risk as I am aware that I no longer have the alertness required in Thailand.

I have no idea as to what the RIP means. Is there an opposite to it?

I hope the family is able to eventually find peace with it. I know from personal experience that it is not a quick fix. After 23 years I still occasionally think about what life would be like if my 18 year old had not drowned. It took a long time for the pain to go away.

My condolences go out to them.

A person is crazy to ride a bike here in Thailand, riding in a car is dangerous enough. Few people know the rules of the road, fewer obey them, it is a circus. Bumper cars are more organised. I've been riding bikes 40 years and I wont drive a bike past the corner store here. If the road holes don't get you, the poorly engineered roads, the lack of signs, the trucks, new car driver, other motorcyclists will. Who wants to spend their retirement with one leg, nursing wounds, or mainmed. I love bikes, but not eoungh to risk maiming myself here. I got two friends mained here on bikes, they hobble around, one with no leg and the other with a twisted arm and bad limp. Both healthy hasppy goys when they arrived a few years back..

I pulled up alongside some white trash aussie idiot at the lights at Kamala last week. He was on a rented duc. He had thongs, a wife basher, fake billabongs shorts and lots of tatts. He saw my bike and put on a big fist full of revs and took off before the change to green...the duc hit the sand that often lies there on that stretch and he fish tailed out of control and barely missed an oncoming pick up by inches. I followed him on to the sharp right hander up past Fantasea and there he did a sharp right hand u Turn in front of me with no blinker. He almost dropped the bike just trying to complete a low speed u turn.

I screamed "GO HOME YOU F-----G IMBECILE"...

Just one example....don't start me on the packs North African idiots plying that section of the road on the big rented scooters...

Aussie?? Pull ya head in goody goody boy.

• Like 1

I pulled up alongside some white trash aussie idiot at the lights at Kamala last week. He was on a rented duc. He had thongs, a wife basher, fake billabongs shorts and lots of tatts. He saw my bike and put on a big fist full of revs and took off before the change to green...the duc hit the sand that often lies there on that stretch and he fish tailed out of control and barely missed an oncoming pick up by inches. I followed him on to the sharp right hander up past Fantasea and there he did a sharp right hand u Turn in front of me with no blinker. He almost dropped the bike just trying to complete a low speed u turn.

I screamed "GO HOME YOU F-----G IMBECILE"...

Just one example....don't start me on the packs North African idiots plying that section of the road on the big rented scooters...

A white trash Aussie idiot? As opposed to what - some other sort of idiot? But you're right, those white trash aussies can always be identified by their fake Billabongs. Just got to love your stereotyping holier than thou attitude, added to your bravery in telling him to F Off - no doubt he was on the next Qantas flight home and another idiot expat in Thailand has been saved from death - I salute you!

• Like 2

All this advice about training and a biker license is such a crock and divorced from reality, this is Thailand. no law enforcement no traffic police and money is the only God, forgret organised religion.

• Like 1

Ah, but my BMW gear is "Airflow", everything - jacket, trousers, gloves and even my boots. (Other manufacturers do them too I believe) They have excellent ventilation but still maintain strength and abrasion resistance. Hopeless in the wet of course, but I never ride in the rain if I can help it!

Ah, I was an all weather rider, going from north London to central London every day for work.

On top of the leathers I also had a totally waterproof coverall.

actually not a problem wear all of the time on rides outside of Chiang Mai,as long as your moving its ok

I agree, the air keeps you reasonably cool but I wouldn't want to go touring here.

The driving standards plus poor road surface scare me silly these days.

(My Avatar is a true likeness of me LOL).

I only plod about locally on a small scooter and wouldn't dream of using anything with high HP unless it had really, really soft tyres. Too much fine grit and dust= no adhesion= a crash at some time for sure.

I remember buying a second hand Kwaka GT750 in the 80's, it had Bridgestone tyres that were as hard as hell, I changed them pdq, it was like riding on ice.

Agreed. I can go from 50cc, to 110 CI cruiser, or 1300cc, 4 cyl, turbocharged cafe racer,

because I have over 4 decades riding. But I still got caught out last year going 30 kph.

A 900cc cruiser is more than enough for me , comfort and getting there intact mean much more.

But these newbies arrive here, realize they can rent a bike they never can at home,

and think one day around the area is enough experience when go for a few rounds at the bars.

It is not, it never is.

RIP

Edited by animatic