Bangkok Metropolitan Police Deputy Chief Post Photos Of Drunk Drivers On Facebook

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how posting pictures of alleged drunk drivers by a government organisation (i.e. the RTPF) may conflict with the defamation law? Assuming DUI (driving under influence) will result in a charge to be ruled on by a judge, posting the picture AFTER found guilty shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

How about making them wear a 'Hello Kitty' armband as the police did to their officers who were not doing their jobs properly a few years back (2008?). Now that's what I call a proper punishment / deterrent for drunk drivers.

• Like 2

From the article:

Last week, a model posted a photo that she took with a police officer, boasting that she was not punished, despite a breathalyzer test that revealed she had consumed a large amount of alcohol.

Absolutely NO double standards.

I bet she was punished in a special kind of way.

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

This is wrong on so many levels...boy...where do I start.

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

c) so....suddenly it is okay to "name and shame"???

d) since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?

...I could continue, but I feel so...tired....bah.gif

You hit the nail right on the head. Posting pictures of reportedly drunk drivers is ludicrous at best. Interesting to note that from his 22,000 facebook fans only 90 fans liked. It is logical to assume that if they really feel that Drunk Driving constitutes a serious problem then in reciprosity the punishment should wholy reflect this concern. Posting pictures does not even come close.

This nation is to a large extent totally ambivilent to public shaming, however, a short jail term large fine and disqualification is more likely to get their attention. This level of retribution should also apply to those driving without a valid licence or those who have been disqualified. 22,000 fans out of a population of 70 + million is a drop in the ocean.

I'm not sure whether face book ethic's committee would like this, I noticed comments into this drunk driving problem , I would like to get a little more serious, so that they get the message , 1st offence vehicle confiscated also for 6 months, 2nd offence 12mths, 3rd forever and given to a charity if it is 1 to 5 years old and in good condition, hit em where it hurts.bah.gif

I wonder how posting pictures of alleged drunk drivers by a government organisation (i.e. the RTPF) may conflict with the defamation law? Assuming DUI (driving under influence) will result in a charge to be ruled on by a judge, posting the picture AFTER found guilty shouldn't be a problem.

AFTER found guilty, looking through the bars of a cell. That works for me.

Yes, I can see the law suit now: "But I wasn't drunk, it was my ear medicine!"

Bloody hell - every Songkran all we get is people bitching that there are drunk drivers, nobody does anything, double standards, blah blah blah.... - this guy has at the very least thought of trying something new and something that should, in a nation where face is important, help to dissuade people from drink driving, but that's STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE BUNCH OF WHINGERS on here.

If this move stops even one or two potential accidents and accidents that could cost a life or serious injury, then it has done its job.

You are not going to get a single solution to this, yes educate by all means, but that's a very long term process, and we do need something to happen right now - yes, enforce the regulations - so now he is adding a little more disincentive to being caught - public loss of face.

Good - at least he is trying...more than can be said of many.

here here

• Like 1

Bloody hell - every Songkran all we get is people bitching that there are drunk drivers, nobody does anything, double standards, blah blah blah.... - this guy has at the very least thought of trying something new and something that should, in a nation where face is important, help to dissuade people from drink driving, but that's STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE BUNCH OF WHINGERS on here.

If this move stops even one or two potential accidents and accidents that could cost a life or serious injury, then it has done its job.

You are not going to get a single solution to this, yes educate by all means, but that's a very long term process, and we do need something to happen right now - yes, enforce the regulations - so now he is adding a little more disincentive to being caught - public loss of face.

I was under the impression this was for the entire year,who gives a toss about songkran, there's more to the problem than this festival

What surprises me about this topic is not the banality of using Facebook but the fact that the Deputy Chief of the Metropolitan Police has 22,000 fans. Who are they, the entire pressganged-into-being-fans Bangkok police force? I can't imagine anyone wanting to browse his photos, never mind being a fan.

• Like 1

What drugs are you on?

P1$$1ng from a bridge into a river and laughing about it, is doing something, too...I guess!

There is a REAL problem here and this needs REAL solutions!

Not one guy going rouge and posting random pictures on Facebook!

On what base is he doing this?

Is there a law, that allows this?

No!

Are there many laws that regulate drunk driving?

I guess so!

Are they enforced?

No way!

And please: facebook?

seriously?

Can you please tell us how you are sure that it is against the law - I suppose wanted posters are as well?

Its clear you're one of the whingers too after reading your..whinging.

• Like 1

What drugs are you on?

P1$$1ng from a bridge into a river and laughing about it, is doing something, too...I guess!

There is a REAL problem here and this needs REAL solutions!

Not one guy going rouge and posting random pictures on Facebook!

On what base is he doing this?

Is there a law, that allows this?

No!

Are there many laws that regulate drunk driving?

I guess so!

Are they enforced?

No way!

And please: facebook?

seriously?

Can you please tell us how you are sure that it is against the law - I suppose wanted posters are as well?

How exactly does that work here? In my country, arrest warrants are issued by judges, majistrates, or states attorneys, not the police. Wanted posters are, therefore, vetted by the judiciary. Is that the case here? Are those whose photos are posted on facebook alleged drunk drivers or convicted? I would think accused drunk drivers could exercise the asian proclivity for defamation suits if their picture was posted but they were later acquitted.

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

The problem is not only drunk driving. It's also doing anything while driving other than driving. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather have the roads full of drunks as opposed to full of people not even looking at the road while texting. For some reason drunk driving is this horrible, disgusting, heinous, unforgivable crime, but texting or looking at your girlfriend's tits which requires you to look away from the road is somehow not as bad in the public's eye. Though I suppose it's more difficult to prove texting or staring at something other than the road.

Edited by happysanook

Not sure whether I agree or disagree with this.

I'm also not sure whether it's the weakness of the drink driving laws or lack of enforcement - probably both - that is insufficient deterrent.

If the former, then the guy is doing the right thing.

''start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving.''

Perhaps this is how Thailand does its education..

''since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?''

Right now.

Remember this is Thailand. Perhaps creating a ''losing face'' situation is how they think it might be more effective....

• Like 1