Bangkok Metropolitan Police Deputy Chief Post Photos Of Drunk Drivers On Facebook

webfact

Are all these people convicted already? Guess not.. Wonder how many of them will be convicted, even the police admitted a few months ago that the breathalyzer wasn't accurate and lack of maintenance. Is it against the law posting these photos? If not, how about a Facebook page with photos of corrupt police officers.

• Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So can we now post on FB pictures of corrupt cops?

Although I am against drunken drivers I don't think this is the right thing to do.

Guess which page would have more photos? But it WOULD be close. Both pages would overload.

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

This is wrong on so many levels...boy...where do I start.

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

c) so....suddenly it is okay to "name and shame"???

d) since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?

...I could continue, but I feel so...tired....bah.gif

''start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving.''

Perhaps this is how Thailand does its education..

''since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?''

Right now.

Remember this is Thailand. Perhaps creating a ''losing face'' situation is how they think it might be more effective....

thanks for this post - you beat me to it!

For Thai's FACE is EVERYTHING.

Aptly named eh? Facebook?

Let's hope this campaign goes viral, then the message will get through.

Share it to all you can. Why not and it might help at that.

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

This is wrong on so many levels...boy...where do I start.

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

c) so....suddenly it is okay to "name and shame"???

d) since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?

...I could continue, but I feel so...tired....bah.gif

Yes its ok to name and shame its worked well in america and after all being arrested IS public record

I suspect it is intended to be like posting pictures

of Johns busted for attempting to buy prostitutes,

who are really undercover vice cops.

Can you imagine them trying this here!

Saturday night outside of Posiedon,

perp walk all the phuyais and post that

on the Police General's web site... HA!

He'd get transferred to an inactive post

In Nakkorn Nowhere within the month.

Seem most are scooterists, probably dont have jobs....

Rateesud likes them all....

Nice pics of scooters n cycles...seems more personal page, with a few mug shots posted... more funny then serious... obviously the only pretty girl had a few shots, makes you wonder if they promised her to be a star like Nat....

Seem most are scooterists, probably dont have jobs....

Rateesud likes them all....

Nice pics of scooters n cycles...seems more personal page, with a few mug shots posted... more funny then serious... obviously the only pretty girl had a few shots, makes you wonder if they promised her to be a star like Nat....

I like some of the pictures.... keep 'em coming. If they blew in my thing, I would let them go.

Yet again we see what a farce the 'justice system' is here.

I very much disagree with the many posts on this topic. I think that posting photos, of offenders against the law, is a good thing which can now be done through social networking sites.

At the end of the day the police are public servents who are employed by the public, through the government, to protect the populus. Why should the people not be aware of offenders against the public good? not everybody goes to court to hear about prosecutions or read any govenment information.

For me this is a fantasitc development - well done Thailand for being the first to do so.

OK well here is a better Idea-why not post the photos of all their OFFICERS who are drunk on Duty and driving,everyday..They may not have enough space-even on Facebook.

I am sure this will come. When the govt of thailand pay a salary to police such that they have no need to take "tea money" to put their children through school

Who looks at Farce Book anyway these days?

Im an old chap now but what i see is that many of the younger people use FB a lot. They are propably the persons who are best targeted - dont you think?

Not sure I agree with this but interesting to see people who often scream the loudest about lack of consequences for drunk drives being so against a consequence that has been used in numerous places ... though not sure if it helps but assume the more consequences will equal a reduction in those who choose to drink and drive.

So let me get this straight...

Some of you are okay with this?

So...just imagine for one moment,it is the old country, you had a weak moment...had one or two to many and got in the car.

An officer stops you, you have your license taken away...you are in high- up position in your company...your boss sees you picture on facebook and tells you, you just lost your job, because your company can not afford to have someone "like you" in a position like this...

Yeah...putting people on Facebook...great idea!

So what do you want:

- Drunk driver hits your car and kills your kids. But I guess your going to say 'never mind', because in a weak moment he/she had one or two too many, let's just forget it.

So what do you want?

So...just imagine for one moment,it is the old country, you had a weak moment...had one or two to many and got in the car.

An officer stops you, you have your license taken away...you are in high- up position in your company...your boss sees you picture on facebook and tells you, you just lost your job, because your company can not afford to have someone "like you" in a position like this...

That's where thinking before doing comes into play . . . actions have consequences . . . if you don't drink and drive, you won't have a problem. If you choose to break the law, and then get caught, you face the consequences, same as with everything here in the LoS.

Apart from the questionable legality of this which will probably be ignored it seems to be just another stunt by an official wanting to see his name in the media which adds to the question why does an individual cop need a Facebook account covering his official status ?

Drunk Driving will never be reduced until the whole system is overhauled completely and that's never going to happen. Let's start with the very basics of the BIB making good money allowing drunks to continue after a " fine " has been agreed not that any of the cash goes into the government coffers. There's little chance of a court appearance, licence suspended and driving while disqualified resulting in jail time for what is a contempt of court. As I understand it there's no central register of disqualified drivers and even if there was I doubt it would be checked much.

The system as it stands makes it easy for the BIB to make quick cash without any effort or any pretence of doing their job properly

• Like 1

So what do you want:

- Drunk driver hits your car and kills your kids. But I guess your going to say 'never mind', because in a weak moment he/she had one or two too many, let's just forget it.

So what do you want?

What about "enforcing existing laws"?

That's where thinking before doing comes into play . . . actions have consequences . . . if you don't drink and drive, you won't have a problem. If you choose to break the law, and then get caught, you face the consequences, same as with everything here in the LoS.

Right, you face the consequences. That would be, having your license taken away, pay a hefty fine, go to jail...so where exactly does Facebook come in here?

• Like 1

Right, you face the consequences. That would be, having your license taken away, pay a hefty fine, go to jail...so where exactly does Facebook come in here?

It would seem that Facebook now enters into the equation as a "name and shame" consequence of the drunk drivers actions.

I understand that a lot of what Thais do is meaningless and not beneficial to the collective good; however I begin to become skeptical when the police take the law into their own hands and profile people and make public information about those people that cannot be verified by those who could use this as a means to stigmatize and hence discriminate.

Methinks it will not be long before this man finds himself in a courtroom with a defense attorney at his side.

• Like 1

I am not sure how reporting the arrest of somebody in the media (Facebook) could be illegal. Also not sure why it matter that it is posted on Facebook as opposed to a Newspaper or Twitter or other form of mass communication. In some more modern countries you lose your license if you get arrested for Drunk Driving even before you are convicted and in many places get your car impounded ... this would seem illegal as your being punished without conviction but reporting on an arrest doesn't really seem illegal regardless of where the news is being published. The have TV shows such as cops showing people getting arrested and various internet sites showing mug shots of non-convicted people.

As for being an effective tool to discourage drunk driving, I'm guessing it must help but just not sure it is appropriate but I have never had a family member killed or crippled by a drunk driver and bet most who have would think this an appropriate deterrent.