Phuket Tourist Shooting Aussies Get Bail

webfact

Phuket tourist shooting Aussies get bail
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1366781169_1.jpg
In handcuffs, John Cohen is questioned after his arrest. Photo Golf Thairath

PHUKET: -- The two Australians arrested on January 24 after one fired a pistol in Soi Sansabai, hitting two tourists, have been released on bail, The Phuket News has learned.

John Edward Cohen, 33, and Adam Lewis Shea, 26, were denied bail by Kathu police after their arrest, but with the case now in the court process, they were freed about 15 days ago after the Phuket Provincial Court accepted guarantees totalling B5 million for the two men.

It is alleged that the two were trying to kill a Danish man who had ripped them off on a deal involving a motorcycle. Seeing the Dane riding by, Cohen opened fire, missed and hit the tourists instead.

Cohen is to be tried for attempted murder and Shea for conspiracy.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-shooting-aussies-get-bail-38911.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-24

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, ive gotta say - and I know most of you will scorn me for this - I think fair play to the bloke. If some idiot borrowed 380K from me and didnt pay it back, whilst continuing to live the good life in paradise, I would be happy to take simmilar action.

Of course I wouldnt because I am not that stupid and I dont have the balls anyway. But putting a couple of slugs in a blokes legs for taking you for a mug... why not?

Its obviously a shame that the the two tourists got hit though.

Just my opinion. Please just leave me alone for saying so, ok?

Before anyone goes into the business of lending dosh the lender must accept risks. Thats business, if the guy was collecting then you think the use of firearms in a crowded place is OK and part of this particular business. rolleyes.gif .

• Like 1

I know it's selfish to lump it on others but I wish more of these d1ckheads types would leave Australian shores only to wind up in a shithole prison.

Well that, plus the fact that it would be nice to see a few present day stories in the Banged Up Abroad episodes.

• Like 2

Sorry - these two do deserve what they get - I am as shocked as anyone that they were even allowed bail, as they are naturally a flight risk I would have thought, and also "attempted murder" (and I would have thought a GBH charge as well) is not exactly minor.

I would also doubt that they have the required permits to carry a gun - although that is a much less serious issue, but still one that indicates their state of mind - surely it is illegal for foreigners to carry guns, no matter what?

These guys are definitely coming across as scumbags - I am ashamed that they are Australian - I hope REAL justice is actually applied, and not the pathetic weak-kneed version that infests the western countries either!

Edited by Greer
  • Like 1

Look, ive gotta say - and I know most of you will scorn me for this - I think fair play to the bloke. If some idiot borrowed 380K from me and didnt pay it back, whilst continuing to live the good life in paradise, I would be happy to take simmilar action.

Of course I wouldnt because I am not that stupid and I dont have the balls anyway. But putting a couple of slugs in a blokes legs for taking you for a mug... why not?

He didn't put any "slugs" in anyone except the tourists.

• Like 1

There are times when the use of a weapon is necessary but this was not one of them.

• Like 1

There are times when the use of a weapon is necessary but this was not one of them.

Have you seen the size of these guys the weapon's on the ends of there arms would have done the trick.

He did say they should not have used a weapon.

These two guys are complete idiots, however how much has the Red Bull kid have to pay for killing a ranking police office with his car??? Oh that's right he's still in his mansion never spending one day in jail or hasn't paid any fine outside of tr compensation to the family. Can you say double standard for foreigners?? How much of that 5million went into the pockets of polices pockets is a good question probably all of it.

It's not double standard for foreigners... it is impunity for extremely wealthy well-connected Thais... a normal Thai schmo wouldn't even get bail - and these a**holes shouldn't have either.

• Like 1

These two guys are complete idiots, however how much has the Red Bull kid have to pay for killing a ranking police office with his car??? Oh that's right he's still in his mansion never spending one day in jail or hasn't paid any fine outside of tr compensation to the family. Can you say double standard for foreigners?? How much of that 5million went into the pockets of polices pockets is a good question probably all of it.

Court bail does not go into the pockets of police.

Any money going into the pockets do not get declared publicly and not called bail.

So how would killing him give you back the money?

I guess that is why there are money collectors who make money and money collectors who loose and end up in jail

• Like 1

Come on mate...please...we don't run around shooting people in Australia over what...12 grand?? If someone did he should be locked up for a very long time. We don't do it here and we shouldn't export that thinking anywhere else regardless of the local customs of shooting first and asking for the money later. there are many better civilised ways of settling debts...a broken leg usually does the trick.

Come on mate...please...we don't run around shooting people in Australia over what...12 grand?? If someone did he should be locked up for a very long time. We don't do it here and we shouldn't export that thinking anywhere else regardless of the local customs of shooting first and asking for the money later. there are many better civilised ways of settling debts...a broken leg usually does the trick.

I guess you do not come from the main cityrolleyes.gif

I guess they knew they were not getting their cash back or even the bike, so probably the next best thing was a bit of SATISFACTION and a bit of RETRIBUTION! - It all depends upon your outlook. Not saying it right or wrong, but in a way, I can understand the motive. However, the fact that the two retards managed to shoot totally innocent retards, then the police should lock them up with something like attempted manslaughter or willful endangerment of life ( Charges that could be brought against most Thais driving on any road on any given day)

its so easy to sit back and condemn people you dont know , John Cohen was a customer of mine and in my opinion could only be described as a nice , polite guy, always laid back and had time for everyone .... now before u get excited and crucify the guy because he has Tatts and looks a little rough ... i urge anyone who has a bad word about him to speak up !!... what happened was a set of events that should never have happened , he admits that things got out of control , he is extremely remorseful ... he is not Australian scum , far from it in fact ... it shows you how quickly your life can change when the wrong decision is made in the heat of the moment .... let him pay for his poor judgement and then get on with his life ....

• Like 2

I guess you do not come from the main cityrolleyes.gif

Not sure what you mean by the main City...but you're right I don't ...thankfullywink.png