Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Leaving all "tribalries" aside, can anyone else see anything other than Manu, while not exactly romping away with the EPL title, but will take some catching, with the squad they have built, leaving the other "big three" and A N Other (possibly Spurs) to fight over the lesser spoils, down to 5th place?

This is probably Fergies "swansong" squad, and could even have been built with a view to a last serious assault on the Champions League.

One thing's for sure, if i were a Utd fan, i would be looking foreward to the start of the season this year, next year and for a few years to come. Chomping at the bit, in fact

Penkoprod

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Pen (man I can't make your name out at all, and I'm Thai!), I think that last year Utd had everything going for them. Not to take anything from their wins no matter how much I want to but all the elements fit perfectly. They won games they should have won, and they even won games they should have lost or drew. The difference between Liverpool and Utd was that statistically and their forwards score more than ours.

However, another big difference between us and them is that their midfield gave them goals...A LOT OF GOALS. And this is not counting the contribution from the backline. And it was a fine season for Gerrard to struggle. Hopefully he'd bounce back this season.

I think you're giving in too early. The other clubs have improved and will keep on improving until the start of the season so I don't know if you can write them off yet. I think it'd be a lot closer than last season to be honest. They bought Anderson and Nani, and there's no way for us to know if they'd be any good in the PL yet. We've had our fair shares of duds in transfer, and I reckon it's their turn.

8 million pounds for Benayoun in order to get Bellamy on the cheap. Surely you must be joking.

I'd pay that to keep Bellamy away :o

Despite nothing being clear on this one. I'd be suprised if some deal wasn't already made regarding Benayoun and Bellamy after all the rumours about Yossi not signing the new contract, etc.

Haha, come now you know you're vying for strikers.

For the record though, I think Benayoun is a nice tidy player that would be a good squaddie for us, but I'm just imagining him costing 8 million pounds, and that he'd be a backup to the mighty Jermain Pennant actually does my head in.

Haha, come now you know you're vying for strikers.

Not us guv, 'onest :o

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/pr...icle2742792.ece

Benayoun wrangle slows up Bellamy's move

By Jason Burt

Published: 07 July 2007

West Ham United were last night hoping to complete the £8m signing of Craig Bellamy from Liverpool. The Welsh international had a medical and agreed personal terms with the east London club on a £70,000-a-week contract.

The final details of the agreement were still being thrashed out by the two clubs, although negotiations were complicated by the fact that Yossi Benayoun is bound for Anfield; for some reason West Ham are reluctant to include the Israeli midfielder in the package.

They would prefer to have swapped Benayoun, who they rate at £6m, with Djibril Cissé, although Marseilles last night announced they had agreed a deal "in principle" to sign the French international permanently after his season-long loan.

Liverpool have offered £4m for Benayoun, who has infuriated officials at West Ham with his behaviour once he was made aware of Rafael Benitez's interest. Benayoun shook hands on a new five-year contract to stay at Upton Park - doubling his wages to £50,000 a week - but then stalled on signing the deal, saying he needed a holiday and wanted to wait until his wife had given birth.

He then returned and insisted he wanted a clause inserted in his new contract that he could leave if Liverpool bid £5m for him. West Ham reacted by withdrawing the contract offer, while Benayoun has apparently now responded by saying he will never play for the club again.

The solution would appear to be his sale to Liverpool but West Ham would prefer to complete a straight cash deal for Bellamy first. He emerged as their number one target following the collapse of the £17m transfer of Darren Bent, who has since joined Tottenham Hotspur.

Liverpool had initially hoped to receive £12m for Bellamy even though they only acquired him last summer for £6m after exploiting a buy-out clause in his contract at Blackburn Rovers. At first West Ham offered Benayoun and cash, then a straight £7m and as negotiations have progressed Liverpool have lowered their demands. They were still hoping to hold out for £9m for the 27-year-old, who has been told he has no future at Liverpool, but appear set to compromise on £8m which will, nevertheless, be a West Ham club record.

Losing out on Cissé will come as a blow to West Ham especially as they were confident that their offer far out-weighed the £2.5m initially proposed by Marseilles, who have also signed former Liverpool midfielder Bolo Zenden. However Cissé, who cost Liverpool £14m, insisted that he wanted to return to France despite also attracting interest from Portsmouth.

Really Really do not need Yossi.....can anybody see the sense in this move, he will ne a squad player at that?

All talk about competing the top 2 and he's still after mediocor sh!te, get your hands in your pockets and get some decent wingers.

Rafa are you reading :o

Really Really do not need Yossi.....can anybody see the sense in this move, he will ne a squad player at that?

All talk about competing the top 2 and he's still after mediocor sh!te, get your hands in your pockets and get some decent wingers.

Benayoun being mediocre is not the first word that comes to mind for anyone whose seen much of him play. And I assume that you cannot have. He's a very creative mid-fielder. And certainly worth more than the peanuts West Ham seem prepared to accept for him. HTH :D

Benayoun being mediocre is not the first word that comes to mind for anyone whose seen much of him play. And I assume that you cannot have. He's a very creative mid-fielder. And certainly worth more than the peanuts West Ham seem prepared to accept for him. HTH :D

I have only seen him a few times...granted, as you can guess I do not follow West Ham :bah: What I have seen of him tells me enough that we do not need him, there is no way I can see him breaking into our midfield, and with the "reported" financies we are supposed to have I am surprised Rafa is thinking of him.

If he was as good as you are saying I am so surprised that you struggled so much last term :D

Anyway, if we do get him, I may eat my own words this coming season :D

Has Bellendamy gone yet :D

Yes Ace, Bellers has moved on.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has revealed Craig Bellamy has left to join West Ham.

The Reds have decided to let Bellamy move on after just one season at Anfield.

The record signing of Fernando Torres pushed Bellamy further down the pecking order at Liverpool and West Ham have moved quickly to offer him a way out of Anfield.

West Ham have been keen to bolster their attack and they have been frustrated in their attempts to sign Darren Bent, Mark Viduka and Djibril Cisse already this summer.

Alan Curbishley is actively scouring the market for reinforcements and Bellamy's move could help pave the way for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United.

Benitez speaking after Liverpool's 3-2 friendly win over Wrexham, confirmed Bellamy had agreed to move to Upton Park.

"He's signed for West Ham, it's done," Benitez told Sky Sports News.

"He knew what I thought and I think it's a good move for him."

When asked if Djibril Cisse had sealed his expected move to Marseille, Benitez said: "Yep, it's done also."

Liverpool have been linked with a move for West Ham's Yossi Benayoun and Benitez confirmed talks are ongoing regarding a deal for the Israeli international.

"I don't know. (If he's coming) It's clear he'd like to come," continued Benitez

"We've made an offer and now we need to wait.

"He's a player I like. We've made an offer, now they said no.

"Now we need to wait because he's a good player for me. "

YNWA you golf club swinging maniac.

Good ridance :D:D , no wooly back can slap Riise and get away with it :o:D .

And a nice bit of profit on the sale made by Liverpool for a change !!.

Bellamy completes West Ham move _42471410_benitezbellamy203.jpg Benitez was keen to offload BellamyLiverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Craig Bellamy has completed a move to West Ham.

The Hammers are reported to have paid £8m for the Wales international on a four-year deal on £75,000 a week.

Benitez also confirmed that they have made an offer to sign West Ham's Yossi Benayoun which has been turned down.

"And any move for Benayoun to join us from West Ham will not be linked with the Bellamy sale. We have made an offer which has been rejected," Benitez said.

The Spaniard is however confident of landing the Israel midfielder next week.

He added: "He is a player I like and would want to sign, and I believe he wants to join us, but that deal will be separate now. We will have to wait and see what happens now next week."

West Ham had attempted to use Benayoun as a straight swap for Bellamy, but Liverpool consider him to be worth around £3.5m, and that offer has been rejected by the Hammers.

Bellamy has fallen down the pecking order at Anfield following boss Rafael Benitez's summer signings of Fernando Torres and Andriy Voronin.

The Wales captain joined Liverpool from Blackburn for £6m in June 2006.

After starting his career with Norwich City, he has also had stints with Coventry City, Newcastle United, plus a loan spell at Celtic.

Bellamy scored nine goals in 42 appearances for the Reds. But the addition of £20m signing Torres this week means Liverpool have five senior strikers on their books - with Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt and fellow new-boy Voronin making up the total

And good riddance again !!!!!.

Cisse completes Marseille switch _42417892_cisse203.jpg Cisse has broken his leg twice in the last three yearsLiverpool manager Rafael Benitez has confirmed French striker Djibril Cisse has joined Marseille on a permanent basis for a fee of around £6m.

The 25-year-old spent last season on loan at the Stade Velodrome.

West Ham, Bolton and Portsmouth had also been chasing Cisse, who cost Liverpool £14m in July 2004. Cisse will link up with former team-mate Boudewijn Zenden in the south of France after the Dutchman moved there on a two-year deal last week.

So now that Rafa has gotten rid of some dead wood ( bellamy and cisse ) he should have a lot more money to play with in the transfer market.

IMO , he needs a right back and cover for centre defence. In midfield we are set to go , no new faces needed there.

The strikers do concern me a bit though. We've just signed Torres , we'll have to wait to see how he does but we already know he is not a prolific scorer as he's shown at Athletico , Dirk Kuyt is a work horse and always gives 100 % but is not a lead striker , Peter Crouch we all know about and then there is the new boy Voronin who is unproven.

I'm hoping that maybe Rafa will buy another striker but if he does then he will probably have to sell Crouch which might not be a bad thing but because he is a Rafa signing I reckon he'll stay .

We'll fid out soon enough :o:D:D:D .

I'm finding it hard keeping up with all this :o

On a busy Saturday, Rafael Benitez confirmed to Sky Sports news after Liverpool’s 3-2 win at Wrexham that Craig Bellamy had completed his move from Liverpool to West Ham.

He also confirmed that Liverpool latest bid to prise Yossi Benayoun away from Upton Park had been rejected by West Ham.

Controversial striker Bellamy has had his fair share of scrapes with his past managers, players and the Police and has turned into somewhat of a nomadic striker in the past few seasons.

The Norwich City trainee earned his first big money move back in 2000 when Coventry paid £6.5m to take him to the midlands. He scored just 8 goals that season but it was enough for Newcastle to pay £6m to take him to Tyneside the following summer.

It’s fair to say that his time at St James Park with mixed and a fall out with manager Souness and a high profile bust up with Alan Shearer saw the Toon fans turn against him and on the eve of the January transfer window escaped on loan for Celtic where he had a successful spell in Scotland scoring 9 goals in just 15 games.

Ex Wales manager Mark Hughes then paid £5m in the summer of 2005 for the Welsh International striker and he enjoyed his most successful spell of his career scoring 17 times and that was enough to see Benitez take the risk in signing him from Ewood Park last summer.

His spell at Liverpool wasn’t a disaster but Bentitz rotation policy, the falling out with team mates and the arrival of Torres had seen him become surplus to requirements at Anfield.

The winner of the PFA young player of the year award in 2002 has recently been made the Welsh captain and it’s hoped that that honour and the influence of team-mates Danny Gabbidon and James Collins will keep the firery Welsh Man in check.

I'm finding it hard keeping up with all this :o

On a busy Saturday, Rafael Benitez confirmed to Sky Sports news after Liverpool's 3-2 win at Wrexham that Craig Bellamy had completed his move from Liverpool to West Ham.

He also confirmed that Liverpool latest bid to prise Yossi Benayoun away from Upton Park had been rejected by West Ham.

Controversial striker Bellamy has had his fair share of scrapes with his past managers, players and the Police and has turned into somewhat of a nomadic striker in the past few seasons.

The Norwich City trainee earned his first big money move back in 2000 when Coventry paid £6.5m to take him to the midlands. He scored just 8 goals that season but it was enough for Newcastle to pay £6m to take him to Tyneside the following summer.

It's fair to say that his time at St James Park with mixed and a fall out with manager Souness and a high profile bust up with Alan Shearer saw the Toon fans turn against him and on the eve of the January transfer window escaped on loan for Celtic where he had a successful spell in Scotland scoring 9 goals in just 15 games.

Ex Wales manager Mark Hughes then paid £5m in the summer of 2005 for the Welsh International striker and he enjoyed his most successful spell of his career scoring 17 times and that was enough to see Benitez take the risk in signing him from Ewood Park last summer.

His spell at Liverpool wasn't a disaster but Bentitz rotation policy, the falling out with team mates and the arrival of Torres had seen him become surplus to requirements at Anfield.

The winner of the PFA young player of the year award in 2002 has recently been made the Welsh captain and it's hoped that that honour and the influence of team-mates Danny Gabbidon and James Collins will keep the firery Welsh Man in check.

There's new information regarding his personal fees with Liverpool not having been resolved yet. He'd clear it up this coming Monday and the transfer will ensue soon after.

He's not that bad. He'd score a nice 10 goals for you and chase after his teammate with a golf club. :D

So now that Rafa has gotten rid of some dead wood ( bellamy and cisse ) he should have a lot more money to play with in the transfer market.

IMO , he needs a right back and cover for centre defence. In midfield we are set to go , no new faces needed there.

The strikers do concern me a bit though. We've just signed Torres , we'll have to wait to see how he does but we already know he is not a prolific scorer as he's shown at Athletico , Dirk Kuyt is a work horse and always gives 100 % but is not a lead striker , Peter Crouch we all know about and then there is the new boy Voronin who is unproven.

I'm hoping that maybe Rafa will buy another striker but if he does then he will probably have to sell Crouch which might not be a bad thing but because he is a Rafa signing I reckon he'll stay .

We'll fid out soon enough :D:D:D:D .

I think our priority should be a winger. I'm not sure why we need a new RB though, since Finnan is doing well there. If anything, I'd think it'd be an LB that needs looking into, and it's still early for that I reckon.

Anoter news is that we're looking into signing Ryan Babel, a player that Arsenal seems set to sign.

If we sold Crouch, where'd we get headeds goal from....oh... :o

------------------ www.myliverpool.tk ------------------

JOIN us at MyLiverpool, a Liverpool FC Fans Forum!

GREAT Discussions, GREAT People, GREAT Staff!!

LIVE Streams, MATCH Highlights, MATCH Goals!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

You Have Just Found A Complete LFC FANS FORUM

+++++SO DON'T WAIT & JUST JOIN US AT+++++

========== www.myliverpool.tk ==========

REGISTER HERE - DIRECT LINK

http://z6.invisionfree.com/MyLiverpool/ind...act=Reg&CODE=00

youtube link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rqo7_qZZ__s

A liverpool forum for like minded people, who are always up for a good debate on anything at all.

Feel free to join my friends :o

------------------ www.myliverpool.tk ------------------

JOIN us at MyLiverpool, a Liverpool FC Fans Forum!

GREAT Discussions, GREAT People, GREAT Staff!!

LIVE Streams, MATCH Highlights, MATCH Goals!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

You Have Just Found A Complete LFC FANS FORUM

+++++SO DON'T WAIT & JUST JOIN US AT+++++

========== www.myliverpool.tk ==========

REGISTER HERE - DIRECT LINK

http://z6.invisionfree.com/MyLiverpool/ind...act=Reg&CODE=00

youtube link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rqo7_qZZ__s

A liverpool forum for like minded people, who are always up for a good debate on anything at all.

Feel free to join my friends :D

I'll stick with

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

if you don't mind. Oh hang on this is a LFC thread :o

KUMB means Knees Up Muvver Brown don't you know :D

Glad to see were not locked any more :o . I'm not to happy with the first rumour , but the second one sounds good.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez says he would be happy with his squad - if West Ham midfielder Yossi Benayoun becomes his final signing of the summer. (Daily Star) Though Benitez has actually made a bid of about £6.75m for highly-rated Dutch Under-21 international winger Ryal Babel . (The Independent)

Glad to see were not locked any more :D . I'm not to happy with the first rumour , but the second one sounds good.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez says he would be happy with his squad - if West Ham midfielder Yossi Benayoun becomes his final signing of the summer. (Daily Star) Though Benitez has actually made a bid of about £6.75m for highly-rated Dutch Under-21 international winger Ryal Babel . (The Independent)

But we're not happy with the peanuts offered. Why is it that Liverpool always try and get players on the cheap? Not like you're skint or anything.

Benitez has come in and unsettled the player, exposed his lack of comittment to West Ham and left us with someone who doesnt wan't to play for us and may well have to go to Liverpool, or somewhere, for less than his market value. :o

If it was up to me I'd tell Benitez to stick it - in fact West Ham already have in so many words - and sell him on elsewhere. :D

Glad to see were not locked any more :D . I'm not to happy with the first rumour , but the second one sounds good.

But we're not happy with the peanuts offered. Why is it that Liverpool always try and get players on the cheap? Not like you're skint or anything.

Benitez has come in and unsettled the player, exposed his lack of comittment to West Ham and left us with someone who doesnt wan't to play for us and may well have to go to Liverpool, or somewhere, for less than his market value. :o

If it was up to me I'd tell Benitez to stick it - in fact West Ham already have in so many words - and sell him on elsewhere. :D

Oh, I am hoping so that one of the two signins would be Quaresma.

And hey, we gave you Bellamy on the cheap. :D

Glad to see were not locked any more :bah: . I'm not to happy with the first rumour , but the second one sounds good.

Benitez has come in and unsettled the player, exposed his lack of comittment to West Ham and left us with someone who doesnt wan't to play for us and may well have to go to Liverpool, or somewhere, for less than his market value. :D

And that's another thing, you always sell us <deleted> players. :D:o

Glad to see were not locked any more :bah: . I'm not to happy with the first rumour , but the second one sounds good.

Benitez has come in and unsettled the player, exposed his lack of comittment to West Ham and left us with someone who doesnt wan't to play for us and may well have to go to Liverpool, or somewhere, for less than his market value. :D

And that's another thing, you always sell us <deleted> players. :D:o

If your soft enough to take them then why not :bah::o;) .

I watched the under 21 euro semi final England v Holland ( we lost 84-83 on pens :o ) and this boy had a screamer.

Babel will cost Liverpool £13.5m _42481682_babel203.jpg Babel impressed for Holland in the European Under-21 ChampionshipLiverpool will have to pay £13.5m for 20-year-old Ajax winger Ryan Babel.

Ajax technical director Martin van Geel says talks have taken place between the two clubs, but no fee has been agreed.

"Liverpool are willing to pay a huge sum for Ryan," he said. "We have told them what we want, and that's 20m euros (£13.5m). That is our price."

Reports have suggested that Liverpool have made an improved bid after an initial £10m offer was rejected by the famed Dutch club.

"We would like to see Babel play here next season, it's not for nothing that we have extended his contract until June 2010," added Van Geel.

"But if these kind of clubs want to pay us these figures it says something.

"We will see if we can reach a deal in the coming days."

o.gif606: DEBATE I'm surprised he's coming to us, I thought he would go to Arsenal

CO

Babel helped Holland win the European Under-21 Championship this summer and had been linked with a move to Arsenal.

But the Reds appear to have stolen a march over their Premiership rivals and Babel said: "I had heard that there were some stories on the internet but that happens quite often.

"Liverpool's interest is serious news to me.

"I haven't thought about a transfer for a minute, I will do that soon though. That such a big club is interested is of course very nice."

BBC Five Live Sport football correspondent Jonathan Legard has been told a deal could go through on Wednesday after Craig Bellamy's £7.5m switch from the Reds to West Ham was confirmed.

o.gifIt must not be that Ryan needs to fight with eight strikers for two positions - We must also look at the development of Ryan

Ryan Babel's agent Winnie Haatrecht

He revealed: "Babel was strongly linked to Arsenal but Liverpool have made their move and it seems they will use the money from Craig Bellamy's move to West Ham to bring in one of Europe's finest young talents."

Liverpool boss Benitez signed striker Fernando Torres from Atletico Madrid last week and admitted he was looking to sign wide players to help supply his new acquisition.

Babel made 27 Eredivisie appearances for Ajax last season, scoring five goals. But Babel's agent Winnie Haatrecht has issued a note of caution as he considered any possible impact a move may have on the winger's career. "The route is very clear," said Haatrecht. "First Liverpool and Ajax need to get an agreement about a transfer, that's step one.

Actually HH, we're still after your boy. I'd rather have Quaresma over Benayoun though.

Liverpool close in on Babel and Benayoun

Jul 10 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL hope to tie up their double swoop for Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun within the next 24 hours.

Negotiations for the pair have entered a key stage, with the Reds increasingly confident of reaching agreement with Ajax and West Ham.

The arrival of 20-year-old attacker Babel appears more of a formality, with the player determined to complete the switch to Anfield for a fee likely to be around £10m.

Benayoun has also informed his club he’s made up his mind to join the Reds, but talks with West Ham have proceeded delicately from the outset with the valuation of the player a sticking piont.

Progress was made during another day of tough negotiations yesterday, and it’s hoped the deadlock will be broken today.

West Ham want £6m for the Israeli international.

Meanwhile, Rafa Benitez says Jamie Carragher’s decision on his international future should be respected by the whole country.

Carragher will speak to Steve McClaren again before the next international with Germany on August 22.

“In any situation like this we need to think about what’s best for the player, the club and the country,” said Benitez, who today completed the £7.5 million sale of Craig Bellamy to West Ham.

“If the player is physically and mentally fit to play in every game, it’s naturally better for his career and the country or club he’s playing for.

“That’s what Carra is thinking about because I know he is someone who never gives less than 100 per cent.

“Everyone knows he is a fantastic professional who wants to perform at the very best level possible in every game he plays.

“We must all respect any decision he makes, because it is certain he is thinking about what’s good for everyone.”

Actually HH, we're still after your boy. I'd rather have Quaresma over Benayoun though.

Just wondered as Babel and Benayoun seem like very similar players.

Still , cough up the £10 million and he's yours :o

This made me laugh, from a BBC websiite:

It is now becoming clear that West Ham will get away with the one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in sporting history. Maradona's hand of god has nothing on this tawdry and stomach churning business.

Now that the discredited Premier League have allowed those crooks from Upton Park to get away with ripping up the rule book and enjoying a £50m windfall for just a £5.5m fine I think that the ordinary fan should show West Ham and the premier league just how much they disaprove of this disgraceful situation by taking collective action.

I would suggest that opposing fans at every West Ham match should stand up and turn their back on the West Ham team as they run out and during the warm up and until the game starts. During the time they have their backs turned they should boo/hiss as loud as they can to show the West Ham Criminals that football will not accept their deception.

This is my suggestion but please comment on what you believe would be an appropriate show of anger and i will collate the best and rally the fans into action.

Please get behind this football needs to show that decency prevails through this murky seedy business underworld that is affecting our game right now. As a postcript to the article I am not a Sheffield United Fan

I follow the mighty Reds of Liverpool a club that has always conducted themselves with honour in sometimes difficult circumstances and my suggestion is to show that all real football fans deserve and demand fair play off the pitch as well as on.

:D Well stop tapping-up our players then :D

As a postcript to the article I am not a Sheffield United Fan

Liar!!

Oh and one more thing to spoil your night/evening.

Reds agree Benayoun transfer fee

Benayoun has been at West Ham for two seasons

Liverpool have agreed a fee with West Ham for Yossi Benayoun, according to the Israeli international's agent.

BBC Sport understands a £4m transfer will be finalised for the 25-year-old West Ham midfielder on Wednesday.

Agent Ronen Katzav said: "Everybody would be happy to play for Liverpool. West Ham will always be in his heart but he is looking to move up a level."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez said: "It's clear he'd like to come and he's a player I like."

Benayoun, Israel's national captain, moved to Upton Park from Racing Santander in a £2.5m deal in 2005.

He has played 72 games for the Hammers and scored eight goals.

The clubs have already done business this summer with striker Craig Bellamy moving to the capital from Merseyside in a £7.5m deal.

4 million. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me . :o

Now get us Quaresma you!

Our midfield is now more packed than a Thai bus :D:D:bah: . With the arrival of Babel imminent and Benayoun already here , what are the odds on Rafa picking the same 11 ever again :o:D:D .

Babel poised for Liverpool talks _42481682_babel203.jpg Liverpool have been given permission to open talks with Ajax's £13.5m-rated forward Ryan Babel.

Ajax have not yet agreed a fee with Liverpool, but are so confident a deal will be done that they have allowed Babel, 20, to fly to Liverpool.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said: "We're not quite there with Ryan yet, but we've now been given permission to talk to the player. "We hope to reach an agreement with Ajax very shortly."

STEVE FINNAN is set to become the latest player to commit his long-term future to Liverpool – with the Anfield club expected to tie up their £17million double swoop for Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel today.

Highly-rated 20-year-old forward Babel was on Merseyside yesterday to agree terms on a five-year deal and pass a medical.

Although Liverpool and Ajax have yet to decide on a fee for the versatile attacker – who can play up front or on either wing – agreement is expected to be reached today on a price of around £12m.

Liverpool have already negotiated a package understood to be worth £5m for Benayoun, who travelled north last night and will have a medical today.

No problems are anticipated with either transfer, and Liverpool are hopeful of unveiling the pair before the end of the week.

Rafael Benitez believes Israeli midfielder Benayoun can prove a ready-made replacement for the recently departed Luis Garcia.

“They are similar,” said the Liverpool manager. “Maybe Luis is a player who scores more goals and Benayoun tends to make more assists.

“Like Luis, he is a very technical, clever player with a lot of game intelligence. He can also play in many positions, giving us a different option for the team.

“He was offered a big new contract at West Ham and received offers from a lot of other clubs offering him more money. But Yossi’s message was always the same. He said he was desperate to only join Liverpool because this was his dream.”

Liverpool’s other major summer recruit, Fernando Torres, is nursing a minor ankle injury, although he took part in training yesterday.

Finnan, meanwhile, is poised to follow the example of Pepe Reina, Momo Sissoko, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Xabi Alonso by signing a new contract.

The 31-year-old Republic of Ireland international has been offered a two-year deal with the option of an extra 12 months.

Elsewhere, Benitez has added to his backroom staff at Melwood with the appointment of Angel Vales as a reserve team coach and head of technical analysis.

The 40-year-old Spaniard has previously been part of the management team in youth development at clubs in Spain and Portugal, and is a doctor of sports science.

Benitez also continues to bolster Liverpool ’s youth set-up with Millwall striker David Amoo the latest to arrive at the Academy yesterday, the Anfield outfit beating a number of leading clubs to the signature of the 17-year-old.

The Academy’s Head of Recruitment Malcolm Elias said: “He’s an exciting young talent with fantastic physical prowess. He’s a natural athlete who possesses great pace and has represented London as a sprinter at the English Schools National Track and Field Championships.”

Liverpool youngsters Martin Hansen and Michael Collins have both signed two-year professional contracts after turning 17.

Goalkeeper Hansen, a part of the club’s Youth Cup winning side last year and a regular for Denmark under-17s, will train at Melwood while Collins, a striker with the Republic of Ireland U17s, is posted at the Academy.

Come on Quaresma!

Archived