Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who do you reckon will partner Torres up front against chelski ....? Voronin , Kuyt or Crouch ?????

I think it will be Kuyt, but I'd like to see Torres and Veronin have a full game together.

Rumours are Voronin is better all round on the training pitch than Kuyt :o , I would also like to see him be given a run along side Torres :D .

Steven Gerrard has a hairline fracture on his foot but still will play on sunday against chelski !!! :o:D:D .

This proves both just how determined we are to make a title challenge this season and how much Gerrard wants to lead the way :D .

McClaren has got no chance of picking Gerrard for the game against the Germans.

The report on Gerrard :o :

Gerrard passed fit for Liverpool _44061338_gerrard203.jpg Gerrard was given a tough time by ToulouseLiverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has a hairline fracture of his toe but will be fit to face Chelsea on Sunday.

However, manager Rafael Benitez said the midfielder is unlikely to be available for England's friendly against Germany on Wednesday.

"I think he'll be available for Sunday, but if we push him for that he will have to rest afterwards," said Benitez. Gerrard, 27, took a painful crack on his right foot during the Champions League tie with Toulouse.

He was substituted after 61 minutes.

Benitez said: "It's not serious but we have to be careful. It's not a big risk but we can push him and then he needs rest.

"He will need an injection but then he can play without pain against Chelsea. "I now have to talk to [England coach] Steve McClaren, but he has to understand playing Steven for England will be a big risk for his future."

Steven Gerrard has a hairline fracture on his foot but still will play on sunday against chelski !!! :o:D:D .

This proves both just how determined we are to make a title challenge this season and how much Gerrard wants to lead the way :D .

Fancy your chances then do ya son? I reckon it will be a close game and we will nick it 1-2 :D

Fancy your chances then do ya son? I reckon it will be a close game and we will nick it 1-2 :D

I've heard Carvallho is not going to play on sunday and with John Terry not in the best of nick I'm getting memories of last season when we beat you 2-0 , and I'll go. for the same result this time :bah::bah:

I've heard Carvallho is not going to play on sunday and with John Terry not in the best of nick I'm getting memories of last season when we beat you 2-0 , and I'll go. for the same result this time :bah::bah:

That was Cech's 1st game back and our back 4 were a mish mash, this year Cech is match fit again and our defense is much stronger than last year, Ben Haim has done well, you won't even get past our midfield let alone scoring 2 goals!! :o

Fancy your chances then do ya son? I reckon it will be a close game and we will nick it 1-2 :bah:

I've heard Carvallho is not going to play on sunday and with John Terry not in the best of nick I'm getting memories of last season when we beat you 2-0 , and I'll go. for the same result this time :bah::o

That was Cech's 1st game back and our back 4 were a mish mash, this year Cech is match fit again and our defense is much stronger than last year, Ben Haim has done well, you won't even get past our midfield let alone scoring 2 goals!! ;)

It looks like your defence is going to be another mish mash this time round :D , and if there is no Essien in midfield then Gerrard and Alonso will just stroll by :D .

Fancy your chances then do ya son? I reckon it will be a close game and we will nick it 1-2 :bah:

I've heard Carvallho is not going to play on sunday and with John Terry not in the best of nick I'm getting memories of last season when we beat you 2-0 , and I'll go. for the same result this time :bah::o

That was Cech's 1st game back and our back 4 were a mish mash, this year Cech is match fit again and our defense is much stronger than last year, Ben Haim has done well, you won't even get past our midfield let alone scoring 2 goals!! ;)

It looks like your defence is going to be another mish mash this time round :D , and if there is no Essien in midfield then Gerrard and Alonso will just stroll by :D .

im rooting for chelsea but my head says a score draw hope its a good game

3-1 to Liverpool.

My thoughts exactly JJ

3-1 first game at anfield Torres 2 Stevie 1..........we will give the blues an own goal (Header by JC)...one can dream

Im sure it will be a great match with both sides going all out. Hope Terry is a bit rusty.

YNWA

Rafa can't help but blast Jose back

Rafael Benitez insists he 'does not enjoy' his war of words with Jose Mourinho but the Liverpool boss could not resist responding to his Chelsea counterpart's jibes ahead of the first major showdown of the season.

The pair resume their fierce rivalry on Sunday when Mourinho brings his team to Anfield.

The colourful Portuguese did not even wait for the season to start before declaring the pressure was really on Benitez to deliver following the Spaniards' £40million summer spending spree.

But the Reds' boss retorted: 'I thought Jose had said he wouldn't be talking about other clubs this season. Maybe he's already forgotten that.'

Benitez insists one summer of increased activity has not changed a thing.

He said: 'You only have to look at who are the clubs who have spent most over the last five seasons, and there are two, Chelsea and Manchester United, and they have won most of the trophies.

'If you analyse who finished top of the table last season, who have spent more money in those years, it is clear and simple there are two teams ahead of the others in terms of money, spending and also titles won.

'And I always say that (Chelsea owner Roman) Abramovich has done a really a good job, that is the key!'

Benitez is expected to field skipper Steven Gerrard tomorrow, despite his talismanic captain suffering a hairline fracture of the big toe on his right foot.

And the Liverpool manager feels under no more pressure now than before he spent big this summer.

He said: 'I do not feel more pressure because I have bought players, and I would rather it was not about me and Jose all the time, I would prefer it to be about Gerrard, (Chelsea captain John) Terry and the other players - they are more important than us.

'I do not really enjoy the exchanges that have gone on between me and Jose, I would prefer there to be none. He has a fine squad with great players, and I think we will be okay together this season.

'We are both professionals and we have our responsibilities. But it is better if we do not talk too much about each other.

'I really don't enjoy it and want to concentrate on my team, I do not like talking about other managers every day.'

What Benitez does want is a level of consistency this season, rather than the occasional stunning performance against big opponents.

Last term Liverpool beat Chelsea in the league and the Champions League semi-finals, but were 15 points behind them and 21 behind champions Manchester United.

Benitez said: 'If we show the same quality against every side in the league as I believe we will against Chelsea, at the end of the season we will be up there.

'Chelsea may be an important game now, but next week's game against Sunderland will be just as important.

'Every three points we play for will mean something at the end of the season, so all the players must be ready every week.

'I want each game in the Premier League to be seen in the same way rather than hear people talking about how a game like Chelsea may be more important than others.'

He added: 'We know when you are playing against a top side you must do well if you want to be a contender, but to be ready against all the teams is the only way to compete in the Premier League.

'I know against the top sides how much everyone wants to play and show their quality and I know they can do it.'

It looks like Jermain Pennant will get a start :o and although I'm not a fan of Pennant I am supertstitious and I do remember he scored a screamer in the corresponding game last season :D .

It will probably be Kuyt to partner Torres up front and Gerrard is defo going to start and he has also pulled out of the England squad for the friendly against Germany on wednesday to give him time to recover.

It's good to see Rafa is really going for the premiership this time round , it has been 17 years for <deleted>'s sake :D .

dot_629.gifLiverpool v Chelsea _44052490_liv_che_0506.gif

Anfield

Sunday, 19 August

Kick-off: 1600 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is expected to have a pain-killing injection in order to play, after fracturing his toe.

Rafael Benitez is set to rotate his squad with Jermaine Pennant, Dirk Kuyt Xabi Alonso and Daniel Agger returning.

Captain John Terry returns to the Chelsea squad for the trip to Anfield after knee ligament trouble.

Ricardo Carvalho misses out with a thigh problem and Arjen Robben, Michael Ballack and Wayne Bridge are all out.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Arbeloa, Pennant, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel, Benayoun, Hyypia, Crouch, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Itandje.

Chelsea: Cech, Cudicini, Ferreira, Diarra, Terry, Ben Haim, Johnson, A Cole, J Cole, Makelele, Lampard, Essien, Obi, Shevchenko, Kalou, Sidwell, Pizarro, Drogba, Wright-Phillips, Sinclair.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Two of the so-called "big four" clash for the first time this season, and something must give. Both clubs have 100% records in the Premier League.

Liverpool opened with a 1-2 win at Aston Villa, and then were involved in a Champions League qualifier midweek; beating Toulouse 0-1 in the first leg in France.

Chelsea have six points out of six, with a 3-2 home victory over Birmingham, and 1-2 win at Reading.

The former double Premier League champions are on the longest current unbeaten run in this league of 16 matches, and have not lost on their league travels since last season's trip to Anfield.

Liverpool have only won their first two league matches of a season once since the Premier League was reduced to 20 clubs; Aston Villa (a) and Southampton (h) were defeated in August 2002.

The Merseysiders have won their opening HOME fixture in the last three Premier League seasons, and have not lost their initial league game at Anfield since 17 August 2003, when Chelsea won 1-2.

These clubs have met 15 times in three seasons. Chelsea have won five of their six league games against Liverpool under Jose Mourinho.

CLUB FORM

LIVERPOOL

Club stats Fixtures

1. The Champions League runners-up secured third place in the Premier League for the second successive season with a 2-2 draw, home to relegated Charlton on the last day.

2. Been crowned champions of England an unmatched 18 times, although Manchester United are catching up fast (16 titles).

3. Yet to win the Premier League trophy. Their most recent title was 1989-90, under Kenny Dalglish.

4. One of 10 founder members of the Premier League competing this season.

5. Experiencing the third longest unbroken stint of top flight football of 46 seasons from 1962-63; beaten only by Arsenal (82 seasons) and Everton (54).

6. The only club whose players were not shown one red card in Premier League competition last season.

7. Won their opening HOME fixture in each of the last three Premier League seasons; against Manchester City, Sunderland and West Ham.

8. Manchester United were the only club to leave Anfield with maximum points last season.

9. Not lost in any competition at home since Barcelona defeated them 0-1 on 6 March in the Champions League. Since then they've won five and drawn one at Anfield, of which three wins and one draw were in the Premier League.

10. Picked up just four points from their opening four games last season, which included a 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

CHELSEA

Club stats Fixtures

1. Won eight and lost just one of their first 10 league games last season.

2. Won just one league game from a losing position last season, but already doubled that this term, having conceded the opening goal in both their fixtures.

3. Won 11 and drawn five Premier League games since losing 0-2 to Liverpool in last season's corresponding fixture on 20 January.

4. Not beaten in eight away league games. Won six and drawn two on the road, since the reverse at Anfield. One of only three away league defeats last term; the others were at Middlesbrough and Tottenham.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

LIVERPOOL

Ins and Outs

Steven GERRARD has scored Liverpool's only Premier League goal so far. The only other Reds' player to net is Andriy VORONIN in Champions League qualifying.

Peter CROUCH was Liverpool's leading scorer last season with 18.

Jermaine PENNANT made most appearances for the Reds (51). His only goal for Liverpool was scored in this corresponding fixture last season.

If he plays:-

Dirk KUYT will be making his 50th appearance in a Liverpool shirt.

CHELSEA

Ins and Outs

Chelsea's five goals in the Premier League have been scored by five different players.

If he plays:-

Michael ESSIEN will be making his 100th appearance in a Chelsea shirt.

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea lost last season's Premier League visit to Liverpool 2-0, but won their three previous trips to Anfield.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Liverpool 58 wins, Chelsea 44, Draws 26

Prem: Liverpool 11 wins, Chelsea 14, Draws 5

at Liverpool only

League (inc PL): Liverpool 43 wins, Chelsea 8, Draws 13

Prem: Liverpool 10 wins, Chelsea 3, Draws 2

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea

20 January 2007 - Ref: Rob Styles

Liverpool scorers: Kuyt 4, Pennant 18

It looks like Jermain Pennant will get a start :o and although I'm not a fan of Pennant I am supertstitious and I do remember he scored a screamer in the corresponding game last season :D .

It will probably be Kuyt to partner Torres up front and Gerrard is defo going to start and he has also pulled out of the England squad for the friendly against Germany on wednesday to give him time to recover.

It's good to see Rafa is really going for the premiership this time round , it has been 17 years for <deleted>'s sake :D .

I think Pennant has improved alot, but doesn't always deliver the right ball-something I'm pretty sure he's working on.

Should be a good game tonight.

No way should Styles be allowed to ref in the prem again F@#king joke

i thought he was quite entertaining though i suppose the penalty wasnt a good joke not often you see pens at anfield for opposing side

You can not be serious and agree with the pen :o I would have no complaints if it was genuine. What was he playing at with the yellow cards??? Essien or Ben Hiem should have walked, time for a 4th official to have some clout I reckon. Some of the refs this weekend have been a shambles :D

no doubt the scousers are going to bang on about the penalty decision which was as wrong as the free kick wrongly awarded at villa last week, which gerrard scored from. gerrard cheated last week so som nam na. what goes around comes around.

Benitez furious with ref Styles _44067641_ben_mou203.jpg Benitez and Mourinho exchanged brief pleasantries before the matchLiverpool boss Rafael Benitez was left incensed by Rob Styles' decision to award Chelsea a penalty that denied the Reds victory at Anfield.

Styles adjudged that Steve Finnan fouled Florent Malouda, although replays showed there was no contact.

"It's difficult to explain such a decision - maybe the referee was under a bit of pressure," said Benitez.

"I think he will watch the video of the match and admit that his penalty decision was a mistake."

o.gif

The penalty came in the second half after summer signing Fernando Torres gave Liverpool the lead and scored his first goal for the club in the opening period.

Regarding the game, Benitez believed Liverpool had the upper hand in a hotly contested match that ended in the awarding of eight yellow cards.

"I think we played OK and created a few chances and controlled the majority of the game," stated Benitez.

"We had some problems at the start of the second half but came good at the end.

o.gif

He added: "It was important for Torres to score at Anfield - it will prove beneficial for him in the future."

Meanwhile, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho opted to stay out of the penalty debate.

"This season I'm not here to make a comment on other managers' opinions," he insisted.

"I haven't seen the replay of the incident and it was difficult to make out what was happening at the time.

"Rafa has his opinion and I have mine. I judged the game to be a good and a fair one."

Mourinho said he was not surprised by the 1-1 result at Anfield.

"It's nearly always ended in draws between the clubs during the time I've been here," he said.

"Today, they were strong in the first half and we were strong at the start of the second half.

However, he revealed: "I'm not happy with the amount of goals we've conceded this season but I'm happy with the number we've scored. People should praise our attacking style.

"It's a new Chelsea in one way but an old Chelsea too because of the way we still fight to get results."

Archived