D S I Turns To Facebook To Catch Illegal Foreigners In Phuket

webfact

DSI turns to Facebook to catch illegal foreigners in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

fb.jpg
DSI Deputy Director-general Yanapol Yungyuen is considering using Facebook to catch foreigners working illegally in Thailand. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is considering launching a Facebook page so that people can report foreigners working illegally in Thailand by uploading photos directly onto the Internet.

The news came after DSI Deputy Director-general Yanapol Yungyuen heard a slew of complaints from Phuket business owners at a meeting in Cherng Talay yesterday.

“I will open an official email address to specifically receive complaints, and we can also start a Facebook page, which might be easier for users to upload photos and tag them,” Pol Col Yanapol said.

“If anyone sees a foreigner working without a work permit or working in an occupation reserved for Thais, please take a photo of them and send it to us,” he urged.

After making it clear that foreign guides were still operating seemingly unhindered in Phuket, Supachai Wattanaparinton, Vice-President of the Phuket Professional Guide Association (PGA), went on to bring up the issue of Thai nominees.

“Foreigners use Thai people to register companies, but only give them a little money in return. I saw a woman who was the ‘owner’ of a tourist company riding an old motorbike and living in a tiny rental room,” Mr Supachai said to illustrate his point.

“I hear that tourism can generate a great deal of income for Thailand, but in fact, very little of that money from tourism goes to Thais. The money paid upfront in countries abroad never enters Thailand,” he told those at the meeting.

“Thais can generate a little money through transportation and shopping, but now foreigners also are coming to 'steal' that income from us,” he added.

Samart Duwao, a taxi driver, brought the DSI’s attention to the fact that it is easy for foreigners to operate black plate taxis to and from the airport.

“A foreigner can just rent a car and pick up passengers at the airport. It’s too hard for law enforcement agencies to check because they can just claim they are picking up a friend,” Mr Samart explained.

“I want government officers to look into this problem,” he said.

Kitti Panmai, a restaurant owner who attended the meeting, expressed his concern not that foreigners were operating restaurants, but was worried that restaurant reviews were written on the wrong criteria.

“Please do not slander a restaurant because those working their can’t speak your native tongue. Restaurants should be compared based on the quality and taste of their food,” he told those present.

Col Yanapol set to address the many concerns expressed at the meeting as it drew to a close.

“About the taxi situation, I would suggest using meters to provide transparency and show passengers that you are giving them a fair price so they trust the services of local taxis. As for the restaurants, I don’t see this as a critical situation,” Col Yanapol explained.

“Government officers need the cooperation of every department, as well as villagers, in tackling these problems,” he said. “I’m afraid we will affect the tourism image of Thailand, but this will not affect the income of Thais too much, because tourists pay for tour packages in their home country.”

“Every service that a company uses should be reasonably taxed, because it will provide revenue for Thailand – Thailand must receive full benefits from the tourism industry,” Col Yanapol said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/DSI-turns-to-Facebook-to-catch-illegal-foreigners-in-Phuket-20886.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-26

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘Help us target illegal foreign firms in Phuket’ – DSI
Nattha Thepbamrung

1366944759_1.jpg
The Deputy Director of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Pol Lt Col Yannapon Yangyeun.

PHUKET: -- The Deputy Director of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has called on the people of Phuket to submit pictures and videos of illegal foreign businesses in action.

At a meeting with local authorities and local businesses, including taxi drivers, restaurant owners and tour guides in Cherng Talay yesterday (April 25) the Deputy Director, Pol Lt Col Yannapon Yangyeun, said, “Local people are the best option for keeping an eye out for illegal businesses.

“If you see foreigners working illegally, take pictures and send them to us. We will deal with it.”

Panompon Thammachatniyom, President of Phuket Tour Guide Association, said in the meeting that he wants more serious action from all departments involved to stop foreigners working illegally as tour guides.

“There have been many attempts but all have failed, yet there are many foreigners as guides in plain daylight all over the island.

Jaifu Saelee, a Chinese-speaking Thai tour guide complained, “I speak Chinese as my mother tongue but I cannot compete with the illegal Chinese guides imported from China, who say bad things about Thailand and damage Thailand’s image.”

He said that the illegal Chinese tour guides “have no standard of service” and do not know much about Thailand but “always talk about Phuket and Thailand in a bad way”.

He added that Chinese-speaking tour guides will visit Provincial Hall on Monday (April 29) to present a letter of protest to the Governor.

Mr Panompon complained, “The illegal foreign businesses always say they bring large amounts of money to Thailand but after I checked, I found that their monthly accounts show a loss. Thailand might get around 10 per cent of that ‘large amount of money’; the rest goes back to their home country.

“It’s not fair because Thai people pay the taxes that are used to build the infrastructure that the foreign companies use.”

Labour Development Office Chief, Nimit Kangkajit, revealed in the meeting that there are 3,366 businesses in Phuket with legal foreign shareholdings of less than 50 per cent – 1,748 in Muang District, 544 in Thalang and 1,074 in Kathu.

“We have adapted the regulations to the situation. Now companies with foreign shareholders must send the report of their income to us,” said Mr Nimit.

A multiplicity of complaints were aired in the meeting. Taxi representatives complained once again that illegal Russian taxi services are still available in the area. Some of them use normal saloon cars so that no one can figure out the if the people in the car are tourists with a driver or just a group of friends.

The restaurant representatives said that staff of a Russian restaurant at Bang Tao beach frequently tell Russian customers to avoid local restaurants because they are unhygienic and provide poor service.

“We don’t mind foreign businesses provided they are legal, but let’s compete fairly,” one of the restaurant representatives said.

After the meeting, Col Yannapon promised that the DSI would do its best to investigate and suppress the foreign wrongdoers.

“We take action seriously in every case. It is not fair for Thailand to have this kind of business,” he said.

And he warned, “Nominee shareholders who help foreigners set up illegal businesses in return for a little money should realise that they will be in trouble when the foreigners run away from Thailand. It’s not worth it.

“Phuket, Samui, Pattaya and Chiang Mai all have the same kind of problems, which seem to be increasing.”

He said that the DSI team have checked and will continue to check many aspects of suspected business including taxes paid, their business licenses or work permits. However, cooperation from local people is the most important thing.

Anyone having photographs or videos can send them to Pol Lt Col Somboon Sarasit, email [email protected], tel 085 660 0845.

The DSI is also considering launching an official Facebook page to which pictures and videos of suspected illegal foreign businesses or workers in action can be uploaded.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/%E2%80%98help-us-target-illegal-foreign-firms-in-phuket%E2%80%99-dsi-38966.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-26

“Foreigners use Thai people to register companies, but only give them a little money in return. I saw a woman who was the ‘owner’ of a tourist company riding an old motorbike and living in a tiny rental room,” Mr Supachai said to illustrate his point.

“I hear that tourism can generate a great deal of income for Thailand, but in fact, very little of that money from tourism goes to Thais. The money paid upfront in countries abroad never enters Thailand,” he told those at the meeting.

I want it all I want it all I want it all and I want it now ( courtesy of Freddy Mercury )

• Like 1

When do western countries apply same laws to Thais moving to the west?

Thais who come to Germany through marriage for example can open a business/start to work right away "stealing income and work from germans" (what a bullshit, I know. Not much brain around in Thailand but even high ranked officials suck...)

Western countries are unusual in this regard (and I'm sure so-called Western countries vary in their policies too). Here where I live in Singapore, it's not so easy for a spouse to start working. Also, Thais can only be hired to do certain kinds of work. They cannot be maids here, for instance (that's reserved for Filipinas, Indonesians, and Sri Lankans). I don't think anyone would accuse Singapore of 'lacking brains', but that's how it works here...

• Like 2

“Phuket, Samui, Pattaya and Chiang Mai all have the same kind of problems, which seem to be increasing.”

Dunno about the other places, but on Samui according to both local Thai business/hotel owners and their customers, the only problem is the Thai taxi mafia. This small group are behind the vast majority of complaints from the tourists, behind a large proportion of the crimes and scams committed, behind most traffic jams, and none of them have ever paid any taxes. Yet they are always the ones complaining about everyone else.

I urge the authorities to make a survey on Samui, amongst registered voters only, and ask what they think is a bigger problem? The Thai taxis on Samui, or the problems mentioned in the OP?

• Like 1

Thais who come to Germany through marriage for example can open a business/start to work right away "stealing income and work from germans" (what a bullshit, I know. Not much brain around in Thailand but even high ranked officials suck...)

Western countries are unusual in this regard (and I'm sure so-called Western countries vary in their policies too). Here where I live in Singapore, it's not so easy for a spouse to start working. Also, Thais can only be hired to do certain kinds of work. They cannot be maids here, for instance (that's reserved for Filipinas, Indonesians, and Sri Lankans). I don't think anyone would accuse Singapore of 'lacking brains', but that's how it works here...

So Singapore is backwards also

So Singapore is backwards also

Nope. Compared to Germany they ain't tend to live in a dreamworld where all people are good and law-abiding citizens and hence got the appropriate laws. So has Thailand. rolleyes.gif

"Mr Panompon complained, “The illegal foreign businesses always say they bring large amounts of money to Thailand but after I checked, I found that their monthly accounts show a loss. Thailand might get around 10 per cent of that ‘large amount of money’; the rest goes back to their home country."

1. I was managing director for a Thai company, owned by a Thai national, who happened to be half Thai but born here before the laws changed. He is 100% Thai, ID, votes, everything. But he looks like a foreigner, although speaks Thai fluently cause he was raised here. He was lucky to have a father who believed in his start up and they plowed money into it for many years, employing hundreds of Thais, and when it came time to claim back the withheld tax while the tax loss carryforward was in effect, the revenue dept said No. I took a lawyer and pointed out this was illegal. The Thais said there is no way a Foreigner or any person would logically put this much money in a business to make it run a profit. And if we took them to court they would examine every return to find a penny out of place and fine us the maximum amount. I pointed out again and again that he was not a foreigner. The owner was Thai. The Revenue Dept officer smiled. It is still in the courts.

2. This representative of tourist agency thinks all the money stays abroad. Well, that may be true but its between his companies and the international agencies they do business with not the Tourists here or the local operators.

3. Again, I think if it really does start to happen, we should send them pictures of friends who live back home and give addresses and fake info and FILL THAT MAIL INBOX with leads for them to look through until they drown. It would be fun to see my mates posted on their facebook page. Many would get a laugh.

Thai government and Thai people really do not like foreigners. Its an interesting dynamic.

• Like 2