D S I Turns To Facebook To Catch Illegal Foreigners In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Thais are working in occupations "Reserved for Thais" in Thailand but in foreign countries. Example, working as an engineer in Australia (I met a Thai doing this). Tell me Thailand is it fair and equitable that your citizens can work in positions "Reserved for Thais" in foreign countries but foreigners cant work in those same occupations in Thailand (at least on a permanent basis anyway).

If you were not so xenophobic, you may all have a better standard of living instead of the generally poor infrastructure you have today by "Reserving for Thais" most sought after occupations. You need to follow Singapore and be more open. Its only the filthy rich at the top in Thailand that want to keep up this regime so they can continue to keep the largest slice of the cake and brainwash the rest that this is in their best interests. WAKE UP!!

People around the world, but especially here, think they have somehow gone up in status by having a FB page...yet social media is just advertising yourself for everyone to see and for sure the long arm of the law, your exgirlfriends, ex-wives, tax collectors ect are looking through before they leave the office. We are just blindly making the people who want to find us, or know about us, all that much more easier...people in Thailand, and probably around the world think they are so smart because they are posted for all to see and comment on. I just don't get it-why?

When people ask me, do you have a FB page, which lately has been more often than I care to count; I say why would I want to be posted on a stupid site, how does it benefit me?

I think facebook is great, I only put things on there that I want people to see. It's also a great tool for sending out mis-information when necessary :). People who are stupid enough to put private information on there have no business whining when it comes back & bites them on the arse.

Everywhere I look there is foreign investment here. From Tesco Lotus to Honda/Toyota to all the hotels that have foreign investment, to all the electronics factories in Bangkok.. the list is endless. These companies employ hundreds of thousands of Thais. Without the foreign investment these people would most likely be back in the villages with their one bowl of rice a day..Yet they treat foreigners like s**t. Like most expats here I have invested millions of baht here and yet I sometimes feel like I am just not wanted...especially when I read such crap as this... Maybe the time is coming just to say goodbye and go somewhere where they appreciate foreigners.

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea! haha

Let's help them with this project.

SNAP PHOTOS OF ALL the Burmese workers at street stalls in Phuket (prohibited work for anyone but Thais). All the rental income these shops make go to Thai Landlords. See them backpeddle when Thai landowners are affected.

Without Burmese staff, Thai business owners will be forced to pay decent wages to Thais. This will also hurt the Thai business owners.

Let's help them, following their own press releases. The results will burden the Thai land and business owners.

They did provide an e-mail address.

Anyone having photographs or videos can send them to Pol Lt Col Somboon Sarasit, email [email protected]

I'm sure many of us have sth interesting to submit.

Talking about taxis - It's more affordable for me to rent a car for a day than take a taxi to Tesco and back. And I do collect friends from the airport with a rental car - when will I see my photo in the "wanted" scetion of Facebook?

• Like 1

If they think they have a problem now, wait until ASEAN 2015.

From the AEC Blueprint...

A2. Free flow of services
20. Free flow of trade in services is one of the important elements in realising ASEAN Economic Community, where there will be substantially no restriction to ASEAN services suppliers in providing services and in establishing companies across national borders within the region, subject to domestic regulations. Liberalisation of services has been carried out through rounds of negotiation mainly under the Coordinating Committee on Services. Negotiation of some specific services sectors such as financial services and air transport are carried out by their respective Ministerial bodies. In liberalising services, there should be no back-loading of commitments, and pre-agreed flexibility shall be accorded to all ASEAN Member Countries.
21. In facilitating the free flow of services by 2015, ASEAN is also working towards recognition of professional qualifications with a view to facilitate their movement within the region.
Actions:
i.Remove substantially all restrictions on trade in services for 4 priority services sectors, air transport, e-ASEAN, healthcare and tourism, by 2010 and the fifth priority services sector, logistics services, by 2013;
ii. Remove substantially all restrictions on trade in services for all other services sectors by
2015;
iii. Undertake liberalisation through consecutive rounds of every two years until 2015, i.e.
2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015;
iv. Target to schedule minimum numbers of new sub-sectors for each round: 10 sub-sectors in 2008, 15 in 2010, 20 in 2012, 20 in 2014 and 7 in 2015, based on GATS W/120 universe of classification;
v. Schedule packages of commitments for every round according to the following parameters:
  • No restrictions for Modes 1 and 2, with exceptions due to bona fide regulatory reasons (such as public safety) which are subject to agreement by all Member Countries on a case-by-case basis;
  • Allow for foreign (ASEAN) equity participation of not less than 51% by 2008, and70% by 2010 for the 4 priority services sectors; not less than 49% by 2008, 51% by 2010, and 70% by 2013 for logistics services; and not less than 49% by 2008, 51% by 2010, and 70% by 2015 for other services sectors; and
  • Progressively remove other Mode 3 market access limitations by 2015;
vi. Set the parameters of liberalisation for national treatment limitations, Mode 4 and limitations in the horizontal commitments for each round by 2009;
vii. Schedule commitments according to agreed parameters for national treatment limitations, Mode 4 and limitations in the horizontal commitments set in 2009;
viii. Complete the compilation of an inventory of barriers to services by August 2008;
ix. Allow for overall flexibilities2, which cover the sub-sectors totally excluded from liberalisation and the sub-sectors in which not all the agreed parameters of liberalisation of the modes of supply are met, in scheduling liberalisation commitments. The scheduling of liberalisation commitments in each round shall be accorded with the following flexibilities:
  • • Possibility of catching up in the next round if a Member Country is not able to meet the parameters of commitments set for the previous round;
  • • Allowing for substituting sub-sectors that have been agreed to be liberalised in a round but for which a Member Country is not able to make commitments with sub- sectors outside the agreed sub-sectors; and
  • • Liberalisation through the ASEAN Minus X formula.
x. Complete mutual recognition arrangements (MRAs) currently under negotiation, i.e. architectural services, accountancy services, surveying qualifications, medical practitioners by 2008, and dental practitioners by 2009;
xi. Implement the MRAs expeditiously according to the provisions of each respective MRA;
xii. Identify and develop MRAs for other professional services by 2012, to be completed by
2015; and
xiii. Strengthen human resource development and capacity building in the area of services.
For the financial services sector
  • The 15% figure for overall flexibility will be reviewed upon the completion of the inventory of limitations in
  • All measures for the financial services sector will be subject to prudential measures and balance of payment safeguards as provided for under the WTO General Agreement on Trade in Services.
22. Liberalisation measures of the financial services sector should allow members to ensure orderly financial sector development and maintenance of financial and socio-economic stability.
Member Countries would be guided by the following principles in pacing their liberalisation measures:
(a) Liberalisation through ASEAN Minus X formula where countries that are ready to liberalise can proceed first and be joined by others later; and
(B) The process of liberalisation should take place with due respect for national policy objectives and the level of economic and financial sector development of the individual members.
Actions:
i.Progressively liberalise restrictions in sub-sectors or modes as identified by each member country by 2015; and
ii. Progressively liberalise restrictions in the remaining sub-sectors or modes, which are not identified under “pre-agreed flexibilities”, by 2020.

“I hear that tourism can generate a great deal of income for Thailand, but in fact, very little of that money from tourism goes to Thais. The money paid upfront in countries abroad never enters Thailand,” he told those at the meeting.

Well I am shocked. I always thought that if you booked and paid a holiday company say in the UK for 2 weeks in Thailand they in turn paid the hotel for your two weeks stay and for the airport transport also for the food if you booked breakfast, full or half board. I did not realise that the the company kept all the money and the Thai hotels provided free accommodation and food. Very generous. I am considering returning to my homeland and setting up as a travel agent. cheesy.gif

How have some of this travel agents gone bust when they have no expenses except a few staff?

Perhaps the owners of the hotels, must be Thai, have bank accounts outside of Thailand and keep the money there to avoid Thai Tax but then with no income how can the hotel exist?whistling.gif Too complicated for me as I am not the sharpest tool in the boxcrazy.gif

Edited by Billmont
  • Like 1

As a westerner not having a work permit you should not use this page as taking a picture and subsequently posting it on the internet is considered working (investing journalism) and you will be deported. wink.png

Only if you receive money from it.

... and 'volunteer' workers still receive an 'allowance' ... so don't use them as an argument.

Edited by Fullstop

This guy is totally deranged. It is appalling that someone in his position could come out with such garbage. All this does is continue to indicate how inept and ignorant senior member of the RTP are. The blind leading the blind.

“About the taxi situation, I would suggest using meters to provide transparency and show passengers that you are giving them a fair price so they trust the services of local taxis. As for the restaurants, I don’t see this as a critical situation,” Col Yanapol explained.

Loved the bit about taxi meters...I'm sure they'll take notice of that whistling.gif

People around the world, but especially here, think they have somehow gone up in status by having a FB page...yet social media is just advertising yourself for everyone to see and for sure the long arm of the law, your exgirlfriends, ex-wives, tax collectors ect are looking through before they leave the office. We are just blindly making the people who want to find us, or know about us, all that much more easier...people in Thailand, and probably around the world think they are so smart because they are posted for all to see and comment on. I just don't get it-why?

When people ask me, do you have a FB page, which lately has been more often than I care to count; I say why would I want to be posted on a stupid site, how does it benefit me?

Yes and people back in 1875 said the same thing about telephones...why would I want one, how does it benefit me? Or how about a pc or email, or text messaging or the internet or tripadvisor or lonelyplanet. But in part you are right as facebook will soon be obsolete so you will not have to concern yourself with it.

Gotta love their sense of humour, these Thais! It's a good idea, set up a facebook too for reporting foreigners who; bribe officials, cheat their tax, buy votes, inside trade on the stock market, drive their cars recklessly, make 'hit and runs', employ illegal immigrants and underpay them...

Lot of love for facebook from the thai police lately. It is almost as if somebody is trying to generate some justification for everybody in the office being logged in all day.

As a law abiding citizen (who isn't on facebook), I am looking forward to the future amusement coming my way from all the misuses and abuses of this almost ground breakingly innovative scheme......

Edited by Paul888

If they really want to play this game a Facebook page could be set up for reporting corrupt officials here in LOS. Any, and I mean ANY suggestion of corruption should then result in the perpetrator's mugshot appearing on the FB page, together with the circumstances in which the corrupt practice took place. I read with interest and support about the Brit journalist who posted the photo of a corrupt tax official on his Twitter page. They want to play rough ... gloves off! Everyone who has been here for a while knows just how much graft occurs behind the scenes of this corrupt society. Most turn a blind eye, and few judge them for it. But if they want to play the racist card maybe we should all become a little more interested in their shenanigans.

My take ... this is just another local official feeling the pressure from the Phuket mafia. Rather than bending to their wishes and starting a witch hunt it's about time these weaklings asserted their rank and faced these people head on. I've never been to Phuket and never want to go. Sounds like a den of hoods that needs the sobering lesson of diminishing tourists due to bully tactics and corrupt and mealy mouthed officials.

DIG