Indian Recommendations In Bangkok

Green

Ya know, I love the food there but 195++ for plain white rice even if its basmati rice is ridiculous.

I'm quite sure thats what the menu Smokie posted says. Never noticed that before, but then I tend to go to the Sunday brunch buffet and didnt have to order rice. It's more expensive than the beer!

Lol

Ya know, I love the food there but 195++ for plain white rice even if its basmati rice is ridiculous.

I'm quite sure thats what the menu Smokie posted says. Never noticed that before, but then I tend to go to the Sunday brunch buffet and didnt have to order rice. It's more expensive than the beer!

Lol

I agree that it is overpriced. Frankly one meal order is enough for two people anyway....that is how I order there.....with the exception of Sundays of course.

Edit: sp

Edited by smokie36

195++ for plain rice is more than just overpriced. I think it's a rip off!!

Next time I will eat the chicken tandoori without rice LOL

• Like 2

how much is the sunday brunch. i cant eat alot which usually makes a buffet a waste.

I think 895 Baht.....and its a lottery....sometimes very good indeed.....depends upon the dishes chosen that day. The lamb rogan josh is excellent....as is the kebab done to order.

My feeling is that the buffet is generally good value....but you takes your chances!

Lol

For that money you get a large platter of rice - probably enough for 4 people - so it's expensive, but not totally unreasonably.

I'd rather go for the buffet Sunday brunch

850 net.

The best I've had, and good value.

Appetizers of all sorts, my favorite is the potato chaat.

They also had fusion style pasta - SKIP THAT!!!

The kebabs in pita bread are not bad. But what you really want is the freshly made wraps - chicken or lamb cooked in spices and wrapped in the wrappy things :P

Curries - prawns are good. The lamb is absolutely mmmmm. Chicken is not bad. But if you go on the day they serve fish curry, I wouldn't touch that. Might appeal to some, but fish in Indian curry doesn't work for me

They also serve some South Indian dishes - sambal, idli and a couple other gravy and the thick yogurt.

Plus you can order hot rotis, including the dosa which is really yummy.

For dessert, they serve western and Indian. The western is ok I suppose, cakes and mousses, creame brulee and similar standard buffet dessert. However, I go for Indian food, so it's definitely Indian dessert. Three things come to mind, and I will list in order of yumminess

Ras Malai

Gulab jamun - ohhh so soft, nicely warm and makes me crave just thinking

But the best of the best, is the dry halwa. Mmmmmm. Mind you, not for the health conscious. It's cooked in a fair bit of oil and is quite sweet. But mmmmm. I take a small three spoons, but always have to go back for more

The buffet includes drinks - lassi, various fresh juices. And you can order tea, coffee etc at the end. I end mind on a masala chai. Perfect!

Ohhh oops Green, I got carried away :P my verdict - definitely worth going for the buffet even if you aren't a big eater. If you are planning to go to rangmahal, then buffet is the best value you get there. A la carte, if you order one curry, one roti and a drink... That's already close to 700 baht I suspect

• Like 2

Kinda off topic but somewhat related ive just tried the rang mahal frozen tikka masala and chicken korma from makro ,damn good both of them.So if your into making it at home i throughly recommend it .at 220 baht per 500 grams exellent valuethumbsup.gif

Re the question about the Indian place below Nana BTS, I haven't tried them, but they're called Aryaa's Indian Restaurant.

The main restaurant is just a small single doorway entrance along the even-sois side of Suk Road, just below the Nana BTS station. Then they have a small shop upstairs inside the Nana BTS station on the Soi 8/11 side with a few seats and trays of food.

http://www.aryaas.net/

There's a lot of Indian places in that general area, including the main Mrs. Balbir's branch on the other side of Sukhumvit on Soi 11/1. There also a reasonable popular but hidden away Indian restaurant on a side soi just inside Soi 8 called called Namuskaar. No atmosphere, just food.

And there's also branches of Bawarchi on Suk Soi 4 and also Soi 11, and Bukhara's on Suk Road between Sois 5 and 7.

http://www.bawarchiindian.com/bawarchilocation.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Goto Silom soi 11

Walk down like 20 feet, there's an awesome Bangladesh place on your left great grub and dirt cheap!

Tamil Nadu, south indian in a little 3 story shop house, must be a mama-papa place - anyone else can vouch for it? Open 10-10pm

Edited by Green

Had an excellent Chicken Tandoori Masala, chapati, rice and popadums at the Crossbar Suk Soi 23 the other night.

280 Baht all in.

For the money, it isn't bad value i admit, but i find it a little disappointing that proper Indian pilau rice isn't used - think that is what they call it, the yellowish aromatic stuff - as i do feel Indian food is not the same without it. It comes served with ordinary Thai rice and not a particularly generous serving, which seems strange considering that is the cheapest component of the set.

• Like 1

I remember .ow.....I swapped the rice for chips.

Well I am Scottish after all. biggrin.png

Deary me mate.. did you also have those traditional, clay-oven baked chunks of succulent prime chicken, tenderly cooked to perfection after hours of marination, thrown into the deep fat fryer?

Goto Silom soi 11

Walk down like 20 feet, there's an awesome Bangladesh place on your left great grub and dirt cheap!

The veg thali was a veritable insult for 180.B, disgusting garbage. The lassi was ok for 40B though.

Goto Silom soi 11

The veg thali was a veritable insult for 180.B, disgusting garbage. The lassi was ok for 40B though.

Some might call it a vegitable insult.

Royal India the emporium 5th floor place has changed it menu, now 315B for veg thali, 482B with lassi, but i have to say its an improvement, quite excellent, only would say the paneer was a touch salty perhaps, they took away the raita yogurt which would have been perfect, and the desert orange colored cake in syrop could do with a change, but i do still like it. Unfortunately though 482B is overpriced IMO, wont be able to eat there so often, problem is the service charge and tax in the food area is an additional 60 or more baht.

There is a Royal India at Paragon, but doesn't appear to have the same menu. Ate there once long ago, terrible and over priced.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Indian friend recommended a couple of places on sukumvit soi 22, also said that the food here was better than in India!

Anyone tried dosa king on soi 11?

Dosa King is awesome. Pretty sure it is veg only. I go everytime I'm in BKK and either order Mangalore Masala or regular Masala. Have not found good Dosai or Sambar home in Chiang Mai.