"the Dodo Bird" Live Theatre In Chiang Rai - 7.30Pm On May 11 At The Legend

Paul Hancock

Some of you may remember the Gate Theater Group of Chiang Mai brought live drama to Chiang Rai last year with their production of "Driving Miss Daisy" and over 100 people attended the performance.

On May 11th, the Gate Theater Group are back at the Legend Hotel for a performance of "The Dodo Bird" by Emanuel Fried, and we hope all expats will consider supporting this event. The event starts at 7.00pm, and there will be a cash bar open from 6pm.

The price is 550 baht per person, which includes wine or beer and finger food following the performance. Students pay 250 baht, which excludes alcoholic beverages. (For directions on how to get to the Legend, see www.thelegend-chiangrai.com.) Tickets are available now at the Legend Reception desk.

A summary of the play follows below. There is some adult language.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with Paul Hancock on [email protected].

Here is some information about the play:

From New York To Chicago, Chiang Mai & Now Chiang Rai

'The DODO BIRD'

A Thrilling, Heartfelt Stage Drama, By American Playwright Emanuel Fried, Comes To Chiang Rai.

First produced in 1967, “The Dodo Bird,” is an intense one act drama which explores what it means to live on the fringe of society, to be a man who failed to achieve the universal dream of being able to sustain himself and his family and ceased to live by the culture’s standards. The Dodo Bird represents those we often choose not to see; the guy with glazed eyes walking down the street talking to himself, carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag, maybe asking for change. All these Dodo Birds came from someplace, had parents once, maybe their own family, maybe a job.

In this play, set in a nondescript western industrial town, the Dodo Bird is fortunate to work as a millwright’s helper, due to the kindness of millwright Russ Nowark, who keeps him on despite frequent hospital visits for the d.t.’s; the job is just enough to get by on. The story of how this particular human being reached this point of desperation and isolation is revealed in one evening in a bar across the street from the foundry, where the Dodo Bird is sober, washed, and waiting for a visit from his estranged daughter.

The author, Emanuel Fried, (March 1, 1913 - February 25, 2011) has been a teacher of creative writing at State University College at Buffalo, New York and served as a consultant to the officers of the area’s AFL-CIO Council in carrying out an arts program for labor. He has been a factory worker, a union organizer, a candidate for the U.S. Congress, a writer of fiction and non-fiction in addition to his play-writing, an insurance broker and an actor on Broadway. His first play “Mark of Success”, written in 1939, was not staged until more than 20 years later at Catawba College in Salisbury, North Carolina, as that year’s winner of their New American playwrights Contest.

“The Dodo Bird” first appeared in the winter of 1972-73, issue of Drama and Theater, magazine published by State University College, Fredonia, New York. It was last staged at AUA Language School here in Chiang Mai 6 years ago by The Gate Theater Group.

Emanuel Fried’s The Dodo Bird is a surprisingly interesting piece of a kind

of brutal, gutsy realism we seldom see today.”
-The Virginia Pilot

“There is tension here and a highly amusing bit when nice guy outwits brutal guy. There is also some very true language.”
-New York Post

The Dodo Bird tells a highly suspenseful story and makes some highly relevant points. Mr. Fried is showing us how important job security is to maintenance of personal dignity. He is noting the predicament that faces every worker when he becomes obsolescent along with his job.”
-
Nathan Cohen, Toronto Daily Star

• Like 1

I am thinking this can be a great trip for those Chiang Mai folks that got out of town before they got wet from Songkran. The drive is a good one with plenty of places to stop and check out the views. There's also several wonderful coffee 'huts' and restaurants that are worth the stopping. Once in CR, you can relax in your room or at the Legend's pool where you will quickly relax from your mini journey from CM.

The reward for your drive will be the moving performances by Stephan Turner, as Dodo, Joel Johnson as Bull, Jim Matchett as Mick, and Jeff Lynn as Russ. After each of the April shows, I overheard that many of the audience wanted to get up and do something to stop Bull from yelling at Dodo. They clearly connected with the actors and their performances. For myself, I wanted Russ to refuse to be pushed into Bull's rant while I wanted Mick to throw them all out. I found myself close to tears as I listened to Dodo's life story.....

So if you missed the show here in Chiang Mai, why not plan a weekend to enjoy Chiang Rai and a fab show full of emotion and action?

• Like 1

This is really a good opportunity for the English speaking community of Chiang Rai to see a quality stage production. The Gate Theater Group have really been a positive addition to the entertainment scene in Chiang Mai.

I have been following them for the last few years and their work is always top notch. For where we are in the world, it's truly a pleasure to be able to see live theater done in a professional manner. There's nothing else like this being done anywhere in Northern Thailand. I would even go so far as to say that no place else in Thailand can you go and see a play like "The dodo Bird".

People of Chiang Rai, If you enjoy live theater, go to see this show. You won't regret it!

• Like 1

I stayed at The Legend last year. It is in a lovely area by the River, very serene with the nicest people around you.. I am glad that the Gate Theater here in Chiang Mai is sharing culture with Chiang Rai. Keep us the good work and may love, peace and harmony surround us.

• Like 1

My husband and I stayed several days at the Legend. We had an excellent time from our comfortable room, quiet surroundings full of beautiful trees, flowers, and ponds, good meals (excellent breakfast buffet) to hanging out with friends at the pool. In fact we left and headed up to the Opium Museum and other sights. When we finally turned around to head home we realized how late it was. Back to The Legend where they greeted us with smiles and found us a room for the evening.

Had there been a show like The Dodo Bird playing, we would have been in 'heaven!'

This is really a good opportunity for the English speaking community of Chiang Rai to see a quality stage production. The Gate Theater Group have really been a positive addition to the entertainment scene in Chiang Mai.

I have been following them for the last few years and their work is always top notch. For where we are in the world, it's truly a pleasure to be able to see live theater done in a professional manner. There's nothing else like this being done anywhere in Northern Thailand. I would even go so far as to say that no place else in Thailand can you go and see a play like "The dodo Bird".

People of Chiang Rai, If you enjoy live theater, go to see this show. You won't regret it!

I have booked a room next to the pool!

I am just a 'groupie'.....besides where as can you see really good live theater for so little? Chiang Rai's evening performance includes extras and I am hoping during the after show party there will be some time to talk with the actors.