Boy Mauled By Stray Dogs At Rayong Beach

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common knowledge is to pretend to pick up a rock and cock that arm as if to launch a haymaker. Soi dogs and country dogs are unpredictable and dominance and anger need to be shown by the human. I personally carry some dried pork knuckles when i am in danger dog country. I keep a zapper on hand too, when the weather is dry. Don't show fear, get pissed off.

where are all the : i like soi dogs lovers now ?

they should all be caught, all over thailand and put down or exported for meat, some people up north love them, to eat

Sorry but where was the father? Tourist helped while father was too busy getting drunk?

Read the article and you'd know there was a tourist who helped the father chase off the dogs with sticks, as quoted by the father.

they should all be caught, all over thailand and put down or exported for meat, some people up north love them, to eat

Sorry but where was the father? Tourist helped while father was too busy getting drunk?

Read the article and you'd know there was a tourist who helped the father chase off the dogs with sticks, as quoted by the father.

Read again, father was not there. Tourist helped the boy, not the father

As said, The Cambodian father of the boy Mr, Mag said that his son named Dee went to play in the sea, but 10 dogs came and bit the boy leaving him bloody and scarred crying in pain lying on the beach, not chasing dogs. However there was a tourist who helped him(ie. mr Mag) to chase the dogs away with a stick. You read the article again.

• Like 1

an 8 year old cambodian is like an 14year old westener. they are not that stupid in their estimation.

kopfpatsch.gif

Can you prove that nonsense somehow? Until than, its nonsense for me!

you need a prove,okay: you have never seen local young boys working on the beach,selling sunglasses aso?? they are more adult in their poor life. they have to struggle with many daily problems,ALONE. they are used to stay alone. okay and then compare it with an guarded westener on holiday with his ipod, ipad,iphone knowing nothing of real life and waiting for mom for the next icecream.sleepy.gif

• Like 1

The -dog lovers- shall be put down? blink.png

Only those who allow their dogs to roam freely on public property. Together with those that feed the strays and soi dogs.

Death for people who feed strays. twisted.gif

A bad joke! galgen.gifnono.gif

an 8 year old cambodian is like an 14year old westener. they are not that stupid in their estimation.

kopfpatsch.gif

you need a prove,okay: you have never seen local young boys working on the beach,selling sunglasses aso?? they are more adult in their poor life. they have to struggle with many daily problems,ALONE. they are used to stay alone. okay and then compare it with an guarded westener on holiday with his ipod, ipad,iphone knowing nothing of real life and waiting for mom for the next icecream.sleepy.gif

And who got "mauled'? whistling.gif

The group of children you quote is not the norm and they are only few in comparison to the youngsters population!

I have 3 Thai-Caucasian Mix sons, 6, 9, 11 years young and know their Thai "friends" who did, do not grow up in Sin City places.

Only very few do so!

These friends, are helpless people, regarding life and problems and how to deal with them,

for sure in comparison to a 6 year older Western boy!

The Tablets and smart phones are already widespread and used, even between them, Beforehand Play station 2 Copies had been widely used!

I lived, all together also a year in Cambodia-Sihanoukville, not different there.

From dogs they know also nothing and than these unfortunate incidents happen, even more likely!

Edited by ALFREDO

The -dog lovers- shall be put down? blink.png

Only those who allow their dogs to roam freely on public property. Together with those that feed the strays and soi dogs.

Death for people who feed strays. twisted.gif

A bad joke! galgen.gifnono.gif

A joke maybe but it is no joke that a young boy was seriously mauled by a stray dog that probably would have been dead or not born had it, and/or its parents, not been kept alive by being fed. Those who fed it are responsible for this tragedy. Those who feed strays are responsible as they perpetuate the stray dog problem. Those in positions of power and authority along with the relevant NGOs are responsible as they do little or nothing to solve this stray dog problem. And yes it is a problem. Just how many dog attacks have we seen in Thailand recently. Almost all of them on public property where irresponsible dog owners allow their pets to wander or where strays patrol.

If you do not see stray dogs attacking a young boy as a problem then it is you who are the joke.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

kopfpatsch.gif

And who got "mauled'? whistling.gif

The group of children you quote is not the norm and they are only few in comparison to the youngsters population!

I have 3 Thai-Caucasian Mix sons, 6, 9, 11 years young and know their Thai "friends" who did, do not grow up in Sin City places.

Only very few do so!

These friends, are helpless people, regarding life and problems and how to deal with them,

for sure in comparison to a 6 year older Western boy!

The Tablets and smart phones are already widespread and used, even between them, Beforehand Play station 2 Copies had been widely used!

I lived, all together also a year in Cambodia-Sihanoukville, not different there.

From dogs they know also nothing and than these unfortunate incidents happen, even more likely!

You call herb59's post nonsense. Well I'll call yours the same. I have absolutely no idea what it is you're trying to say. Is there anybody out there that can make any sense of it?

Wrong..read again

The Cambodian father of the boy, Mr. Mag, age 28, said that his son, named Dee, took off his clothes to go to play in the sea. But there were about 10 dogs that came along to bite the boy. However, there was a tourist who helped him to chase the dogs away with a stick, and the dogs scattered.

Father and tourist both chased the dogs away......

The following is how the Sri Lanka government has responded to the dog problem that got out of control after culling was suspended due to lobbying from animal rights activists.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/sri-lanka-targets-three-million-dogs-for-cull/story-e6freuz9-1226238955192

A dog that attacks for no reason; anywhere, with no collar with its owners information on it should be rounded up and put down. It is that simple as that! Thailand has too many stray dogs because they are too cheap charlie to go to the vet and have them sterilized. When there are too many, they throw them out of the house or take them to temples and let them go. No sense of responsibility! If I have a dog, it becomes part of my family which also means I take care of it and if it F%^ks up, I have to deal with it; but here in LOS it is all mai bpen rai as you have to escape a neighbours dog who thinks you are free game to attack. Thai people have no idea how to raise a dog properly and this can be seen also with the new generation of children; on that note the kids just need to be loved and spanked when they are bad........not put down, like a dog.

Perhaps you don't remember but about 10 years ago they rounded up all the strays in bkk to implant chips in them; 90% died later of infection

Euthanization is a no no but making them die slowly by negligence is apparently ok....

The dogs are a problem. But theyre also animals that we have a certain degree of affinity to. This isnt a one or the other. Im living in khlong toei, and walk around a lot in bangkok, Every street pretty much has a pack that owns that street. You know they own that street because they stop following you the second you turn a corner (though theyll peek around and watch you) . For me as an adult capable of dealing with dogs and knowing what to do to prevent an escalation with all but the worst of dogs its not a problem. The dogs are for the most part placid and nervous. But for a kid or just someone incapable of dealing with dogs (or just someone trying to walk their dog or cycle somewhere) theyre a problem. I can see that. But it doesnt mean i should be advocating cruelty to them. They have a shitty life as is. Why would i advocate starving these poor things or worse, taking a brick to them and bludgeoning them to death? This isnt an either/or. There are multiple issues, multiple problems, and thousands of potential solutions. You can at one and the same time recognise that the stray problem is out of control and that these dogs will need to be euthanised at some point to contain it (unless of course someone has a spare bazillion baht for a sanctuary capable of feeding millions of dogs until old age), whilst simultaneously recognising that theyre just dogs doing dog things, and for the most part keeping to themselves and utterly terrified of people, noise and traffic.

Dont get me wrong. Kids dont stand a chance unless theyve been taught to handle dogs. Im pretty sure thai kids brought up in bangkok know how to handle strays, but a kid from cambodia where strays arent prevalent will have issues. Just as a person who has never owned a dog and lived in a culture where dogs are on leads and in firm control will have no idea how to handle a stray. But dogs are simple for the most part. And i should stress the words for the most part. Just like anywhere else in the world whether stray or domesticated, dog attacks happen. And here in Thailand you also have rabies into the mix.

First thing is to understand how the pack works. Theres 1 or 2 sentries, a mish mash of others and the leader. The Sentries will be at the top of the street and likely be the only dogs even remotely awake during the day time. Why is this important? Well it means one thing: the first dog youre going to encounter in a pack is the sentry. A sentry will not engage you on its own unless for defence. Its not how it works (unless its rabid - though itll have already had a pop at the other dogs by this time and will have been ripped apart or fled the pack), its job is to signal the rest of the pack and/or to keep you out of its territory (though this is more for other packs than humans - most soi dogs arent aggressive with humans). What will then happen is that youll find three or so other dogs cautiously trot over. The situation has now escalated. Once the pack leader is involved the other dogs are looking to him for moving in. If he starts moving in, the others will start moving to surround you. At this point youre in serious trouble. Once they start circling you, theyre going to attack.

So immediately you can see three steps where youre capable of defusing it and getting away safely. Step 4, youre going to probably get bitten, its just a case of how badly.

Step 1: Sentry spots you and starts barking.

Step 2: Others approach. Pack leader sizes you up.

Step 3: Pack begins to circle you.

Step 4: Dogs attack.

Really then you want to shut the whole thing down at step 1. If you can make the sentry back down instantly the rest will back off immediately and this you need a bit of aggression to carry out unfortunately. Remember that sentrys will very rarely fight without their pack. They are VERY easy to intimidate one on one. Its only when the rest of the pack turns up that theyll have a go. So all you honestly have to do is to stamp forward and tell it to shut up in a nice commanding voice ( go for my most growly angry voice to be honest). If that doesnt work, do the whole pick up a rock trick. If that doesnt work, actually pick up a rock and throw it at it. And if that doesnt work, get anything you have and run at it. I have yet to meet a sentry that hasnt fled at the haymaker gesture. If the sentry flees the rest wont come. They might have a wee bark, but theyll keep their distance. If theyre still semi aggressive they might start skulking towards you when youre no longer facing them, just keep them in view and dont put your ipod back on until theyre a nice safe distance from you.

The same techniques work at every step, its just that theyre less likely to be intimidated. You're going to probably be needing a nice stick the minute the leader gets involved. Never let them encroach your space, and under no account let them start circling you. If you see that happening youre likely in a fight. Seriously, keep your space, quickly intimidate the sentry and you should have no problems AS AN ADULT. As a kid on the other hand... i dunno. Youll be needing a stick and some friends probably.

As i say though, ive only one semi-aggressive pack around my area, and the leader is a pretty big dog compared to the other soi dogs in the area, (i never let that bugger get close to me) but they live in an abandoned hotel and not directly on the street. I reckon this is another key attribute to watch out for. Dogs on side streets tend to be looked after by the dudes on those streets (either the vendors, security guards or people walking home with a few scraps of food), dogs in abandoned sites probably have less interactions with people and are going to be more territorial. Just a generalisation though from walking about, not a hard and fast rule. Its just something else to watch out for.

There is a problem, they do need to get on top of it and euthanise these dogs if only because of the rabies epidemic. I mean seriously! Rabies? In one of the biggest cities in the world? A disease that if left untreated leads to death... and can be contracted from even being licked, let alone bitten? How many kids do you know that are liable to tell you they were licked by a soi dog while out playing? Insane. But just because there is a huge problem with over 100,000 strays doesnt mean that im not going to treat any one of those individual dogs with some degree of humanity. Its not an all or nothing.

Edited by weecree

A dog that attacks for no reason; anywhere, with no collar with its owners information on it should be rounded up and put down. It is that simple as that! Thailand has too many stray dogs because they are too cheap charlie to go to the vet and have them sterilized. When there are too many, they throw them out of the house or take them to temples and let them go. No sense of responsibility! If I have a dog, it becomes part of my family which also means I take care of it and if it F%^ks up, I have to deal with it; but here in LOS it is all mai bpen rai as you have to escape a neighbours dog who thinks you are free game to attack. Thai people have no idea how to raise a dog properly and this can be seen also with the new generation of children; on that note the kids just need to be loved and spanked when they are bad........not put down, like a dog.

Perhaps you don't remember but about 10 years ago they rounded up all the strays in bkk to implant chips in them; 90% died later of infection

Euthanization is a no no but making them die slowly by negligence is apparently ok....

As I recall it owned dogs were required to be chipped. Strays were not chipped so that dog catchers could identify them as un-owned and round them up to be shipped off ????. Chipped dogs found on public property were also rounded up but returned to owners after payment of fine.

I've had 2 dogs chipped and both are healthy. The chipping process was quick and painless. No after care of any kind was necessary.

Edited by Keesters

As I recall it owned dogs were required to be chipped. Strays were not chipped so that dog catchers could identify them as un-owned and round them up to be shipped off ????. Chipped dogs found on public property were also rounded up but returned to owners after payment of fine.

I've had 2 dogs chipped and both are healthy. The chipping process was quick and painless. No after care of any kind was necessary.

Can you please post a link to a law where dogs require to be chipped in Thailand and then post a link to Vets who have the microchips and then also a link to what other organizations have the scanners to check the chip

I guess your Vet failed to tell you that the microchip can move around the body, otherwise RSPCA's around the world would not be full of dogs on daily basis

Edited by lemoncake

The following is how the Sri Lanka government has responded to the dog problem that got out of control after culling was suspended due to lobbying from animal rights activists.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/sri-lanka-targets-three-million-dogs-for-cull/story-e6freuz9-1226238955192

Interesting article.

In brief

Culling was allowed and stray dog population was under control.

Presidential order after animal rights activists lobbying banned culling and replacing it with sterilization and vaccination of strays.

Alleged corruption and mismanagement is blamed for stray dog population rising to 1 in every 7 people.

2000 people hospitalized everyday from dog bites.

Authorities are spending $13 million annually to deal with the problem.

Can you please post a link to a law where dogs require to be chipped in Thailand and then post a link to Vets who have the microchips and then also a link to what other organizations have the scanners to check the chip

I guess your Vet failed to tell you that the microchip can move around the body, otherwise RSPCA's around the world would not be full of dogs on daily basis

Can you post a link showing 90% of the chipped dogs died? I believe only in Bangkok did it become local law. It is certainly not the case in Pattaya where I live. My dogs were chipped in Pattaya by a large veterinary clinics to be found on Sukhumvit road just down from Tesco. Dogs are checked every two months which includes checking the chips which are in the same places they were inserted 4 years ago.

Edit...please give links showing RSPCA's (which is a British thing - e.g. Americans call it something else as they don't have a ROYAL anything) around the globe that are full of dogs on daily basis because they cannot identify the owner of the dog because the chip has moved so far from its inserted position. It has to be countries with mandatory chipping.

We can all play the link game.

Edited by Keesters

Interesting article.

In brief

Presidential order after animal rights activists lobbying banned culling and replacing it with sterilization and vaccination of strays.

Alleged corruption and mismanagement is blamed for stray dog population rising to 1 in every 7 people.

So you blaming the dogs? nothing to do with corruption and mismanagement by public health officials.?

There are packs of strays on a beachside route I take with a toddler on a pushbike seat.

Members of the packs always surround us yapping and barking. I am always furious, (had a tooth broken plus painful dental treatment on another occasion elsewhere).

Whilst we have not been bitten.....yet!, the boy has learnt some more English "f****ng dogs!"

I for sure will feed them as a previous poster if/when I feel the danger escalate.

Wonder about informing the "authorities", but........????

Edited by corkythecat
  • Like 2

Interesting article.

In brief

So you blaming the dogs? nothing to do with corruption and mismanagement by public health officials.?
No, I never made a comment. Just laid out the main points as stated in the article. I suggest you read it again. Or maybe read it for the first time instead of jumping to conclusions that aren't there. This is the second time in this thread that I've found you not reading what has been written properly. Do you need new glasses? Edited by Keesters

Keesters, on 02 May 2013 - 13:25, said:

lemoncake, on 02 May 2013 - 13:11, said:

Keesters, on 02 May 2013 - 13:05, said:

Can you post a link showing 90% of the chipped dogs died? I believe only in Bangkok did it become local law. It is certainly not the case in Pattaya where I live. My dogs were chipped in Pattaya by a large veterinary clinics to be found on Sukhumvit road just down from Tesco. Dogs are checked every two months which includes checking the chips which are in the same places they were inserted 4 years ago.

Edit...please give links showing RSPCA's (which is a British thing - e.g. Americans call it something else as they don't have a ROYAL anything) around the globe that are full of dogs on daily basis because they cannot identify the owner of the dog because the chip has moved so far from its inserted position. It has to be countries with mandatory chipping.

We can all play the link game.

This is a continuation of my previous post.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/05/08/national/national_30072594.php

(BKK} authority's regulation that all dogs in the capital must be embedded with a microchip.

Promulgated last July (2007), the regulation will take effect on July 5 (2008). Dog owners must register their pooches and pay for the microchip while those regularly feeding strays must do the same. Failure to do so is punishable by a maximum fine of Bt5,000.

Plus I just visited Pattaya City vet. He doesn't chip and has no scanners. Not surprising really as it is NOT a requirement in Pattaya. Bangkok administration vets should have scanners as they require chipping, but TIT so anything could be the case. Best to ask someone up there.

Just waiting now for lemoncake to give her links to substantiate all her claims.

Interesting article.

In brief

No, I never made a comment. Just laid out the main points as stated in the article. I suggest you read it again. Or maybe read it for the first time instead of jumping to conclusions that aren't there. This is the second time in this thread that I've found you not reading what has been written properly. Do you need new glasses?

So what point were you trying to make?

Interesting article.

In brief

No, I never made a comment. Just laid out the main points as stated in the article. I suggest you read it again. Or maybe read it for the first time instead of jumping to conclusions that aren't there. This is the second time in this thread that I've found you not reading what has been written properly. Do you need new glasses?

So what point were you trying to make?

Can't you read! What part of "I never made a comment" don't you understand.

So again and I hope this time it sinks in. I didn't make or try to make any point. I just laid out the main points of the article for easier reading and in case the outside link failed.

At the moment I have no comment other than interesting article. I am not required to make a comment any more than the person who posted the article did. Geez....

Edited by Keesters

There are packs of strays on a beachside route I take with a toddler on a pushbike seat.

Members of the packs always surround us yapping and barking. I am always furious, (had a tooth broken plus painful dental treatment on another occasion elsewhere).

Whilst we have not been bitten.....yet!, the boy has learnt some more English "f****ng dogs!"

I for sure will feed them as a previous poster if/when I feel the danger escalate.

Wonder about informing the "authorities", but........????

Take care corky and take special care of your toddler. While you would probably survive an attack your toddler may not be so lucky. Informing authorities..IMO..a waste of time. "Feed" them if you must just make sure it's something that goes down "quick".
  • Like 1

The dogs are a problem.

Dont get me wrong. Kids dont stand a chance unless theyve been taught to handle dogs. Im pretty sure thai kids brought up in bangkok know how to handle strays, but a kid from cambodia where strays arent prevalent will have issues. Just as a person who has never owned a dog and lived in a culture where dogs are on leads and in firm control will have no idea how to handle a stray. But dogs are simple for the most part. And i should stress the words for the most part. Just like anywhere else in the world whether stray or domesticated, dog attacks happen. And here in Thailand you also have rabies into the mix.

There is a problem, they do need to get on top of it and euthanise these dogs if only because of the rabies epidemic. I mean seriously! Rabies? In one of the biggest cities in the world? A disease that if left untreated leads to death... and can be contracted from even being licked, let alone bitten? How many kids do you know that are liable to tell you they were licked by a soi dog while out playing? Insane. But just because there is a huge problem with over 100,000 strays doesnt mean that im not going to treat any one of those individual dogs with some degree of humanity. Its not an all or nothing.

you have many good points of view, but in a country with no controls, you have to help yourself. this means first the humans, then the dogs. if i cant roam free in my surrounding, i'll kill them like the thais do. mostly attacked are first children and second women. i care for my beloved ones. a dog IS an unpredictable animal, therefore strict laws exist in many countries. even in those, sometimes the owners got bitten or children of them(on their private property).

if you love dogs and eat chicken, pigs and calves, then think it over.....

This is not something you can argue about. It is simply something you act on at the appropriate time, with the awareness that precludes preparedness. If I get caught up in realm of reason with people who place animals above the sanctity of innocent human beings then I will lose on their territory every time. So I will choose to keep my mouth shut about it and hope against hope that they are not unfortunate enough to mouth off at me or attempt to forestall me when I go to bludgeon the offending animal into pulp after it has bitten my child, or any one of my family, friends or loved ones..

I hate idealists for the most part. You will not find them in foxholes, but they will be waiting for you back home when you return from the good fight and the sweat and blood still drying on your hands. They will mock you and despise you and resort to terrorist tactics to harm you. I especially hate idealists because they have no couth in an article about a young boy who is in intensive care, and instead plead the case of animals over his limp body.

So go ahead and flame me, but be aware that I am aware of you, and I doubt I'll see you on that day; the day that you will rue if you mouth off over a wounded human being that was harmed by an animal for no legitimate reason. It is a no win situation for you. Be silent or mouth off; either way you are moral cowards.

To the boy, I wish the best in his full recovery.

cometh the hour cometh the man, kids get mauled and killed by dogs in all our home countries, but when it happens here usual OTT posts. what's with the aware of you bit??? bit off a threating post really. A kid got bitten it happens every where in the world. beware the men in white coats. respect the local culture where bludgeoning anything living is not permitted. So were you there to see the "unprovicated" attack, seems the father was not.

Rabies transmitted by licking? Only where saliva is deposited on broken skin. How many cases of human or dag rabies are there in Thailand? In my almost 30 years here I've not heard of one human case and only seen what might have been one dog victim in the back of the dog catchers van. Anybody know the figures?