Boy Mauled By Stray Dogs At Rayong Beach

webfact

There is a problem, they do need to get on top of it and euthanise these dogs if only because of the rabies epidemic. I mean seriously! Rabies? In one of the biggest cities in the world? A disease that if left untreated leads to death... and can be contracted from even being licked, let alone bitten? How many kids do you know that are liable to tell you they were licked by a soi dog while out playing? Insane. But just because there is a huge problem with over 100,000 strays doesnt mean that im not going to treat any one of those individual dogs with some degree of humanity. Its not an all or nothing.

Rabies transmitted by licking? Only where saliva is deposited on broken skin. How many cases of human or dag rabies are there in Thailand? In my almost 30 years here I've not heard of one human case and only seen what might have been one dog victim in the back of the dog catchers van. Anybody know the figures?

From memory the latest stats for Thailand (2011), cannot locate the report, was 12 deaths from dogs infected with rabies. More historical details at Source http://www.mat.or.th/journal/files/Vol91_No.3_433_2563.pdf

Table 2. Human deaths from rabies, 1997-2006(6)

Year Bangkok*/Thailand

1997 7/58

1998 4/57

1999 7/68

2000 6/50

2001 8/37

2002 0/30

2003 3/21

2004 0/19

2005 3/20

2006 2/26

* Bitten by dogs located in Bangkok

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a problem, they do need to get on top of it and euthanise these dogs if only because of the rabies epidemic. I mean seriously! Rabies? In one of the biggest cities in the world? A disease that if left untreated leads to death... and can be contracted from even being licked, let alone bitten? How many kids do you know that are liable to tell you they were licked by a soi dog while out playing? Insane. But just because there is a huge problem with over 100,000 strays doesnt mean that im not going to treat any one of those individual dogs with some degree of humanity. Its not an all or nothing.

Rabies transmitted by licking? Only where saliva is deposited on broken skin. How many cases of human or dag rabies are there in Thailand? In my almost 30 years here I've not heard of one human case and only seen what might have been one dog victim in the back of the dog catchers van. Anybody know the figures?

From memory the latest stats for Thailand (2011), cannot locate the report, was 12 deaths from dogs infected with rabies. More historical details at Source http://www.mat.or.th/journal/files/Vol91_No.3_433_2563.pdf

Year Bangkok*/Thailand

1997 7/58

1998 4/57

1999 7/68

2000 6/50

2001 8/37

2002 0/30

2003 3/21

2004 0/19

2005 3/20

2006 2/26

Thank you. Good to see that in the long term (a few years of anomalous figures) stats are well down. Rounding up or at least vaccinating strays would hopefully bring it close to zero.

Year Bangkok*/Thailand

1997 7/58

1998 4/57

1999 7/68

2000 6/50

2001 8/37

2002 0/30

2003 3/21

2004 0/19

2005 3/20

2006 2/26

Thank you. Good to see that in the long term (a few years of anomalous figures) stats are well down. Rounding up or at least vaccinating strays would hopefully bring it close to zero.

A more interesting stat might be on the number of dogs in bangkok assumed to have rabies. Ive seen numbers bandied from 5% of the population to 10%. I admit i found those numbers after getting a scratch from a soi dog and deciding I wasnt going to roll the dice on it. The numbers were alarming. That may have been the precise object of the numbers being alarming, but nevertheless its not worth the risk. Other things to watch out for are of course the increase of abandoned dogs after the introduction of the regulations in 2007/08. Those dogs were abandoned of course BECAUSE the owners decided not to pay for sterilisation and registration. Finally, dogs need shots every three years. And thats assuming they arent interacting with rabid animals. Genuinely, i find it rather unlikely that the dogs roaming the streets will be getting a three year booster let alone the 1 year booster recommended by vets for areas with a prevalence for rabies, let alone the immediate booster shot after getting in a rumble with any of the other soi dogs.

In truth, i would love to argue that rabies is negligible, and maybe it is... then again maybe people have more awareness on the causes of rabies and the danger of the disease and seek treatment or actively avoid contact with soi dogs based on the numbers of dogs at risk of carrying the disease. Hard to say. Ive no agenda in this. Just stating though that since its terminal without treatment, its a bit silly playing the odds games on it. And if i was a parent, i could definitely understand why i wouldnt want any of those dogs near my kids. Not just for rabies of course, but rabies would be one of my considerations. smile.png

ETA: I did see this though on a world rabies day blog which gives some idea on the numbers up to 2011 to flesh out the details a bit.

Although it is a vaccine-preventable disease, rabies still poses a significant public

health problem in many countries in Asia and Africa

where 95% of human deaths occur even though safe, effective vaccines for both

human and veterinary use exist (a rate of one person every ten minutes).

Nearly half of those bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15

years of age.

In Thailand,rabies is still a public health problem. The number of people exposed to

animal bites varies from 300,000 – 400,000 per year and from 2004-2011, there

were approximately 14-32 (DLD, 2011) rabies-related deaths each year. WHO has

set a goal to eliminate rabies by 2020.

Edited by weecree

Year Bangkok*/Thailand

1997 7/58

1998 4/57

1999 7/68

2000 6/50

2001 8/37

2002 0/30

2003 3/21

2004 0/19

2005 3/20

2006 2/26

A more interesting stat might be on the number of dogs in bangkok assumed to have rabies. Ive seen numbers bandied from 5% of the population to 10%. I admit i found those numbers after getting a scratch from a soi dog and deciding I wasnt going to roll the dice on it. The numbers were alarming. That may have been the precise object of the numbers being alarming, but nevertheless its not worth the risk. Other things to watch out for are of course the increase of abandoned dogs after the introduction of the regulations in 2007/08. Those dogs were abandoned of course BECAUSE the owners decided not to pay for sterilisation and registration. Finally, dogs need shots every three years. And thats assuming they arent interacting with rabid animals. Genuinely, i find it rather unlikely that the dogs roaming the streets will be getting a three year booster let alone the 1 year booster recommended by vets for areas with a prevalence for rabies, let alone the immediate booster shot after getting in a rumble with any of the other soi dogs.

In truth, i would love to argue that rabies is negligible, and maybe it is... then again maybe people have more awareness on the causes of rabies and the danger of the disease and seek treatment or actively avoid contact with soi dogs based on the numbers of dogs at risk of carrying the disease. Hard to say. Ive no agenda in this. Just stating though that since its terminal without treatment, its a bit silly playing the odds games on it. And if i was a parent, i could definitely understand why i wouldnt want any of those dogs near my kids. Not just for rabies of course, but rabies would be one of my considerations. smile.png

ETA: I did see this though on a world rabies day blog which gives some idea on the numbers up to 2011 to flesh out the details a bit.

Although it is a vaccine-preventable disease, rabies still poses a significant public

health problem in many countries in Asia and Africa

where 95% of human deaths occur even though safe, effective vaccines for both

human and veterinary use exist (a rate of one person every ten minutes).

Nearly half of those bitten by suspect rabid animals are children under 15

years of age.

In Thailand,rabies is still a public health problem. The number of people exposed to

animal bites varies from 300,000 – 400,000 per year and from 2004-2011, there

were approximately 14-32 (DLD, 2011) rabies-related deaths each year. WHO has

set a goal to eliminate rabies by 2020.

"Those dogs were abandoned of course BECAUSE the owners decided not to pay for sterilisation and registration."

Was sterilisation part of the 2007/2008 regs? I don't remember that. By registration I'm assuming you mean chipping. From memory wasn't there a period when the BMA would do that for free? To be honest here I find it hard to believe that any dog owner would not chip their dog (so it can be returned to them if lost then found), not sterilize their dog (unless they are breeders), and not vaccinate their dog (do they want it to get sick and die) unless of course they are totally irresponsible people who have a dog only to guard their precious inanimate possessions and for no other reason.

"Finally, dogs need shots every three years." My vet says yearly rabies, parvovirus, etc shots. MIne get that plus kennelcough and bi-monthly heart worm.

"love to argue that rabies is negligible." It will never be negligible until it is zero. Same goes for human diseases. 1 death or injury to a human caused by a stray dog is 1 too many especially if it is a child.

"i could definitely understand why i wouldnt want any of those dogs near my kids" Agree. Thai kids play on the streets and beaches all the time. All that time in and around, what are mostly filthy, mangy, diseased, stray dogs and the excrement they produce. The Thai parents do not see this as a problem subjecting their offspring to all this danger and disease. If they did see it as a problem they would by now have forced authorities to do something about the strays.

"In Thailand...animal bites varies from 300,000 – 400,000 per year." Staggering. 1,000 people a day, 42 per hour, almost one a minute. Most of which are done by strays I'd imagine. And yet they still do nothing.

"WHO has set a goal to eliminate rabies by 2020." Can't see how they can achieve that unless the remove all the strays. You can try and vaccinate them but they breed so quickly I doubt that you'd be able to keep up. Look what happened in Sri Lanka.

If forced registration/chipping/vaccination/sterilization, whatever, is good enough for Bangkok why is it not good enough for other urban areas like Pattaya and the 70+ province cities? All of which have high population densities.

You call herb59's post nonsense. Well I'll call yours the same. I have absolutely no idea what it is you're trying to say. Is there anybody out there that can make any sense of it?

So you are one of the UNREASONABLE party rolleyes.gif

-herb- wrote, "an 8 year old cambodian is like an 14year old westener"

I doubt that and having children myself in Thailand and meet their "friends" I have the opinion, that that is a complete stupid statement and not true!

-herb- also mentioned, "compare it with an guarded westener on holiday with his ipod, ipad,iphone knowing nothing of real life"

Smart phones and Tablets, ect are now also widely used from Thai children and not restricted to Falang children.

The -dog lovers- shall be put down? blink.png

Only those who allow their dogs to roam freely on public property. Together with those that feed the strays and soi dogs.

Death for people who feed strays. twisted.gif

A bad joke! galgen.gifnono.gif

A joke maybe but it is no joke that a young boy was seriously mauled by a stray dog that probably would have been dead or not born had it, and/or its parents, not been kept alive by being fed. Those who fed it are responsible for this tragedy. Those who feed strays are responsible as they perpetuate the stray dog problem. Those in positions of power and authority along with the relevant NGOs are responsible as they do little or nothing to solve this stray dog problem. And yes it is a problem. Just how many dog attacks have we seen in Thailand recently. Almost all of them on public property where irresponsible dog owners allow their pets to wander or where strays patrol.

If you do not see stray dogs attacking a young boy as a problem then it is you who are the joke.

You have very, very far fetched, IFS, blink.png

I can say than,

IF the dogs had been better fed and always got a regular feeding from people and children, they would not have mauled that boy! whistling.gif

You mentioned, -If I do not see stray dogs attacking as a problem!- Where did I write that!?

On the end your BAD JOKE stays, "DEATH SENTENCE FOR PEOPLE WHO FEED STRAY DOGS!" bah.gifsick.gif

if i cant roam free in my surrounding, i'll kill them like the thais do.

if you love dogs and eat chicken, pigs and calves, then think it over.....

There are much more dog and cat lovers around who eat meat than vegetarians!

You have to explain your opinion and doctrine to a lot of people. tongue.png

Heres some details on the sterilisation part. It seems there was a complete package required for legal registration including the implant, but also rabies inoculation (if under 1 year old) and that nasty little last bit. The chips themeselves were free to the first 50,000 people volunteering, thereafter they had to be paid for. Have unfotunately no idea about the cost of sterilisation, but it adds a little more to the discussion.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/25/headlines/headlines_30050084.php

Manoj said that dog owners could also get their animals implanted with a microchip at certified private clinics at a cost of Bt300 to Bt500. After the implant, they would need to register their dog at their respective district office.

When contacting the district office for dog registration, dog owners must present a microchip-implant certificate, a copy of their identification card and household registration, a rabies-vaccination certificate for dogs less than one year old, and a dog sterilisation certificate.

I also found the huffington post article alluded to in the wiki entry on soi dogs here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/08/buddhists-perpetuate-bang_n_149314.html

and heres the national geographic one: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090608-thailand-straydogs-video-ap.html

The original paper (linked with the numbers of rabies deaths) is also deeply pessimistic stuff. If you read the article it very much states that these measures wont have the effect the government hope and soon enough itll spiral out of control. Id say its being borne out just from a casual 10-15 minute walk to my nearest 7/11 or the mrt. Which is a bit of a shame because it means that the only realistic option on the table WILL be euthanasia because these numbers are only going to increase year in.

Maybe there was a surge to tackle the problem in 2007, but that momentum doesnt appear to currently exist from what ive personally observed (i havent seen much in the way of media reports either since most of the info ive gleaned from web searches on the issue consistently date back to pre 2010 and more often refer only to the existence of the programme and not to its assessment). The political will doesnt appear to be there, which means these dogs will be breeding and their population will be increasing which will result in greater demand to deal with the issue and the only financially viable option being destruction. Its something i wouldnt want to see, but its also something thats increasing in likelihood with every new litter. As the numbers go up, the threat posed to the public increases and so does the financial cost of a humane solution.

Edited by weecree

A joke maybe but it is no joke that a young boy was seriously mauled by a stray dog that probably would have been dead or not born had it, and/or its parents, not been kept alive by being fed. Those who fed it are responsible for this tragedy. Those who feed strays are responsible as they perpetuate the stray dog problem. Those in positions of power and authority along with the relevant NGOs are responsible as they do little or nothing to solve this stray dog problem. And yes it is a problem. Just how many dog attacks have we seen in Thailand recently. Almost all of them on public property where irresponsible dog owners allow their pets to wander or where strays patrol.

If you do not see stray dogs attacking a young boy as a problem then it is you who are the joke.

I can say than,

IF the dogs had been better fed and always got a regular feeding from people and children, they would not have mauled that boy! whistling.gif

You mentioned, -If I do not see stray dogs attacking as a problem!- Where did I write that!?

On the end your BAD JOKE stays, "DEATH SENTENCE FOR PEOPLE WHO FEED STRAY DOGS!" bah.gifsick.gif

So you are going to regularly feed ALL the strays all over the country? I won't and I doubt that many of Thailand's population will either. Some do it but in your own admission it's insufficient. So insufficient in fact that it caused them to maul the boy according to you. Growl...feed me or I bite you... growl. Duh!

I never said that you said "If I do not see stray dogs attacking as a problem" ... it was a question still unanswered. So far your only solution to avoiding young boys being mauled by stray dogs is to FEED THEM REGULARLY WITH BETTER FOOD. Just how do you expect that to happen?

Heres some details on the sterilisation part. It seems there was a complete package required for legal registration including the implant, but also rabies inoculation (if under 1 year old) and that nasty little last bit. The chips themeselves were free to the first 50,000 people volunteering, thereafter they had to be paid for. Have unfotunately no idea about the cost of sterilisation, but it adds a little more to the discussion.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/25/headlines/headlines_30050084.php

Manoj said that dog owners could also get their animals implanted with a microchip at certified private clinics at a cost of Bt300 to Bt500. After the implant, they would need to register their dog at their respective district office.

When contacting the district office for dog registration, dog owners must present a microchip-implant certificate, a copy of their identification card and household registration, a rabies-vaccination certificate for dogs less than one year old, and a dog sterilisation certificate.

I also found the huffington post article alluded to in the wiki entry on soi dogs here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/08/buddhists-perpetuate-bang_n_149314.html

and heres the national geographic one: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090608-thailand-straydogs-video-ap.html

The original paper (linked with the numbers of rabies deaths) is also deeply pessimistic stuff. If you read the article it very much states that these measures wont have the effect the government hope and soon enough itll spiral out of control. Id say its being borne out just from a casual 10-15 minute walk to my nearest 7/11 or the mrt. Which is a bit of a shame because it means that the only realistic option on the table WILL be euthanasia because these numbers are only going to increase year in.

Maybe there was a surge to tackle the problem in 2007, but that momentum doesnt appear to currently exist from what ive personally observed (i havent seen much in the way of media reports either since most of the info ive gleaned from web searches on the issue consistently date back to pre 2010 and more often refer only to the existence of the programme and not to its assessment). The political will doesnt appear to be there, which means these dogs will be breeding and their population will be increasing which will result in greater demand to deal with the issue and the only financially viable option being destruction. Its something i wouldnt want to see, but its also something thats increasing in likelihood with every new litter. As the numbers go up, the threat posed to the public increases and so does the financial cost of a humane solution.

Well the nation article certainly mentions sterilization. New to me but I can't disagree with it. Cost of sterilization ranges from free to a few thousand. Free because I've seen it being done for free by Pattaya administration. A few thousand because 3,500 is what I paid for a 7 month old Golden bitch to be spayed in a private clinic.

"it'll spiral out of control" ... "only realistic option on the table WILL be euthanasia" ... "that's increasing in likelihood with every new litter. As the numbers go up, the threat posed to the public increases" ... "to deal with the issue and the only ... viable option being destruction." My sentiments exactly.

Of course the BMA could always enact a law saying that every Bangkok resident MUST feed at least one stray dog a day with decent food. See post # 88.

I know lots of people who like dogs and/or cats. Some say 'cute', some say 'cuddly', some say 'yummy'. Edited by Keesters

I can say than,

So you are going to regularly feed ALL the strays all over the country? I won't and I doubt that many of Thailand's population will either. Some do it but in your own admission it's insufficient. So insufficient in fact that it caused them to maul the boy according to you. Growl...feed me or I bite you... growl. Duh!

I never said that you said "If I do not see stray dogs attacking as a problem" ... it was a question still unanswered. So far your only solution to avoiding young boys being mauled by stray dogs is to FEED THEM REGULARLY WITH BETTER FOOD. Just how do you expect that to happen?

Where do I write, -that I am feeding ALL the strays all over the country-?

When you write in one of your Postings? "If you do not see stray dogs attacking a young boy as a problem then it is you who are the joke."

it sounds same I do not see it as a problem! You come completely wrongfully to that conclusion!

You quote me also wrong! I did not write, -FEED THEM REGULARLY WITH BETTER FOOD-, I wrote,

"IF the dogs had been better fed and always got a regular feeding from people and children"
And that "IF" came only as an answer to your far fetched "IF, ........" and is also the answer to your last question.
DEATH SENTENCE TO ALL DOG FEEDERS IN THAILAND, blink.png that is your opinion and says a lot already!
Tim Ward quote,
"People are always quick to point out that i can not save every stray animal in Pattaya.. That is true.. But i have had both these two neutered, and i feed them every single day.. I aint ever going to be able to change the world.. But i sure did make the world a better place for these two :) "
524629_4884632955179_1827342856_n.jpg
Edited by ALFREDO

I LOVE dogs but some of them in Thailand make me very wary

I remember on Koh Chang, before they did all the big developing in the middle bit there was a bit of 'no mans land' of near half kilometre with little in the way of light where you'd run the gauntlet of ropey dogs

They'd start off with a mild growl and do that thing where they're getting closer and you're not sure if they will go for you or not

I used to pick up a couple of rocks 'just in case'

i said: think it over! not everything you dont understand is nonsense......

I remember on Koh Chang, before they did all the big developing in the middle bit there was a bit of 'no mans land' of near half kilometre with little in the way of light where you'd run the gauntlet of ropey dogs

They'd start off with a mild growl and do that thing where they're getting closer and you're not sure if they will go for you or not

People come always first. When people get hurt by dogs then something needs to be done about the dogs.

For strays its the responsibility of the local authorities.

of course , you can have private a dog, as long as you take over your responsibility.

dog control is not a western thing: look at singapore, hongkong, taipei! its possible. even in malaysia i didnt see plenty of dogs roaming. in vietnam they are eaten like beef.

only some brain and respect is necessary. respect in thailand is only between people? give yourself the answers.

• Like 1

I can say than,

Where do I write, -that I am feeding ALL the strays all over the country-?

When you write in one of your Postings? "If you do not see stray dogs attacking a young boy as a problem then it is you who are the joke."

it sounds same I do not see it as a problem! You come completely wrongfully to that conclusion!

You quote me also wrong! I did not write, -FEED THEM REGULARLY WITH BETTER FOOD-, I wrote,

"IF the dogs had been better fed and always got a regular feeding from people and children"

And that "IF" came only as an answer to your far fetched "IF, ........" and is also the answer to your last question.

DEATH SENTENCE TO ALL DOG FEEDERS IN THAILAND, blink.png that is your opinion and says a lot already!

Tim Ward quote,

"People are always quick to point out that i can not save every stray animal in Pattaya.. That is true.. But i have had both these two neutered, and i feed them every single day.. I aint ever going to be able to change the world.. But i sure did make the world a better place for these two smile.png "[/size]

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4884632955179&set=a.1558214236790.2076171.1278283072&type=1&theater

524629_4884632955179_1827342856_n.jpg

"So you are going to regularly feed ALL the strays all over the country?" was a question not a quote. See the ? Do you know what it means?

So now you don't think that the stray dogs should be regularly feed with better food and that that would have stopped the attack on the boy? Please make up your mind as I'm very confused. And if that isn't the solution to avoiding mauling then what is? Or is it that you don't have one?

You seem to have plenty to say but at the same time say nothing. Just what is it that you think should be done? Nothing, feed the strays, don't feed the strays, WHAT?

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

I've lived at many places in Thailand. First thing when I move to a new place the population of soi dogs gets down rapidly in my surroundings. I don't understand this. whistling.gif Someone out there who could solve this riddle???

Are you confessing to being a dog-eliminator ? ;-) Methods used pls ?

I feed them.... One time only... Style: Last Supper. ;)

Edited by KhunMichael

I've lived at many places in Thailand. First thing when I move to a new place the population of soi dogs gets down rapidly in my surroundings. I don't understand this. whistling.gif Someone out there who could solve this riddle???

Are you confessing to being a dog-eliminator ? ;-) Methods used pls ?
I feed them.... One time only... Style: Last Supper. wink.png
Do any of them return 3 days later?

People come always first. When people get hurt by dogs then something needs to be done about the dogs.

For strays its the responsibility of the local authorities.

of course , you can have private a dog, as long as you take over your responsibility.

dog control is not a western thing: look at singapore, hongkong, taipei! its possible. even in malaysia i didnt see plenty of dogs roaming. in vietnam they are eaten like beef.

only some brain and respect is necessary. respect in thailand is only between people? give yourself the answers.

I think the lack of dogs in Malaysia is a Muslim thing, they're not into dogs. You do see a fair amount of stray cats about in Malaysia.

Same here in Dubai, you do get family dogs with expats but they're not a favoured pet in (most of) the Muslim world (dirty) but we also have plenty of stray cats here