"le Bistrot" Chiang Mai

PostmanPat

Thanks for sharing all your wisdom on American cuisine. whistling.gif

But I dont know any important chef from the US. They only eat burgers and fast food.

More like sharing his "ignorance." I know thats what you really wanted to say.

• Like 1

re

After overcoming my initial shock looking at the sidewalk menu, which was around 260 baht for a simple chicken dish, we went inside and were greeted by the owner, a very large, personable fellow

dave2

5 years from now we will all have these, instantly translating the menu AND whatever French dudes are saying in real time. wink.png

Google_glass2.jpg

Great idea, but they will have to have even more emotions than Thaivisa to get the attitude across bah.giflaugh.pngsad.png

Nowadays, Pierre white doesnt cook anymore, but for me is the second chef of history after Ferran Adria.

All the michelin restaurants "cook in bags" for example the N1 of the list "celler de can roca", the lamb is slow cooked in bags.

America didnt do anything for the modern cuisine and the UK a lot.

England did not begin cooking in bags (yes they sell hamburgers in Thailand too). I have had a good meal in London, as I have in Paris, NY and many other lesser know places in the world. Have you personally eaten Ferrab Adria's food? Have you studied food history? I have the latter and eaten Thomas Keller's (and was hired by him to cook for him and his staff). I'm not comparing the two as I wouldn't compare my two beautiful (in their own ways) girlfriends to each other but I just enjoy the bounty of all their fruits and labors.

Nowadays, Pierre white doesnt cook anymore, but for me is the second chef of history after Ferran Adria.

All the michelin restaurants "cook in bags" for example the N1 of the list "celler de can roca", the lamb is slow cooked in bags.

America didnt do anything for the modern cuisine and the UK a lot.

England did not begin cooking in bags (yes they sell hamburgers in Thailand too). I have had a good meal in London, as I have in Paris, NY and many other lesser know places in the world. Have you personally eaten Ferrab Adria's food? Have you studied food history? I have the latter and eaten Thomas Keller's (and was hired by him to cook for him and his staff). I'm not comparing the two as I wouldn't compare my two beautiful (in their own ways) girlfriends to each other but I just enjoy the bounty of all their fruits and labors.

Oh yeah, please don't tell my wife about my two girlfriends

• Like 1

One of my friends with whom I dinned at Billy's on Wednesday tried the "le Bistrot" on Thursday and he was impressed.

New owner is friend of Gibus and sets high standard, I am told.

john

My comrade was told that Gibus still in Switzerland, has shed 120 Kilos, thats one hundred and twenty Kilogrames.

• 3 weeks later...

Jungle chef, respected chefs are better in England than in the US, consequently, restaurants too.

Horse manure.

The list of the world's top restaurants that makes up the world's best 50 is out - and predictably controversial: it is dominated by the US, with only three from the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/apr/30/world-50-best-restaurants-list

Dominate by US? The restaurant eleven in Madison park the real chef is from Denmark I think, Daniel Hum.

Blumental is a very famous chef and has done important things, marco pierre as well. But I dont know any important chef from the US. They only eat burgers and fast food. Thats why americans are so fat.

Im not from the UK, I just say the reality.

Hmmm, I guess you don't get out much. Ever heard of Thomas Keller (Per Se-NYC)? Or, how about Emeril Lagasse (Nola- New Orleans), Wolfgang Puck, or Mario Batali? All Americans. All chefs par excellence.

Regarding the USA holding the #1 fat spot - it's true. But its a big country (no pun intended) and its over-waist size centers in the corn-fed Midwest. Now, guess what European country is referred to as the ‘fat caterpillar" and has consistently held that #1 fat spot?

http://www.businessinsider.com/fattest-countries-in-europe-obesity2011-9?op=1

Jungle chef, respected chefs are better in England than in the US, consequently, restaurants too.

Horse manure.

The list of the world's top restaurants that makes up the world's best 50 is out - and predictably controversial: it is dominated by the US, with only three from the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/apr/30/world-50-best-restaurants-list

Dominate by US? The restaurant eleven in Madison park the real chef is from Denmark I think, Daniel Hum.

Blumental is a very famous chef and has done important things, marco pierre as well. But I dont know any important chef from the US. They only eat burgers and fast food. Thats why americans are so fat.

Hmmm, I guess you don't get out much. Ever heard of Thomas Keller (Per Se-NYC)? Or, how about Emeril Lagasse (Nola- New Orleans), Wolfgang Puck, or Mario Batali? All Americans. All chefs par excellence.

Regarding the USA holding the #1 fat spot - it's true. But its a big country (no pun intended) and its over-waist size centers in the corn-fed Midwest. Now, guess what European country is referred to as the ‘fat caterpillar" and has consistently held that #1 fat spot?

Wolfgang Puck is an American????? He is Austrian.

40 yrs in USA where he made his name and had his most successful business but is an internationally known Chef and food transcends borders. Japan has the most 3 star Michelen restaurants, Spain the world's best, NY is know as the city that has the best food all round etc. etc. I had a pretty good lunch right here in CM today!!

My gf and I had dinner at Le Bistrot a couple of weeks ago because our favorite little Italian place around the corner was closed for Songkran. I warned my GF that French food is expensive anywhere in the world, especially outside of France. And to make matters worse, this place was actually called Le Bistrot, bistrot to me means a specialty dining shop that usually has the owner as cook, andextra high prices. After overcoming my initial shock looking at the sidewalk menu, which was around 260 baht for a simple chicken dish, we went inside and were greeted by the owner, a very large, personable fellow. His staff was off for the holiday, so he served us himself. Yes the menu was in French, but it made me feel like I was dining at a bistro on the Champs Elysee. My French was rusty, so I asked him to cook me something with chicken, vegetables, and some wine mixed in. My GF ordered a pork dish, and the chef added some mashed potatoes. He gave us a complimentary side dish of a mixed seafood salad which was wonderful while we waited for our entrees. My GF complained that the French breast crust was too thick, but I thought it was just right.

The main dishes came out with quite a presentation, They were beautiful, and smelled great. One taste of my chicken dish and thats all I needed. It was marvelous. My GF got her dish and gave me a taste of the pork sausage. Simply the most delicious I have ever had. Taste exploded in after one bite.

The chef came over and asked what we thought and I told him C'est merveilleux!! Its marvelous. He told me he grew the veggies in his garden and he raised the chickens himself. Ok maybe that was a stretch of his imagination, but it made it more special. For dessert he brought some cream puffs, they were a little bit frozen but great anyway.

The bill came to 660 baht, yes insane price for a local restaurant, but it was worth it. I loved the food. If the OP is right and the food is all pre-cooked someplace else, its ok with me. It was delicious no matter where it came from.

P1010536.jpg

P1010535.jpg

P1010534.jpg

P1010533cropped.jpg

Is it just me? But I do not think this looks like typical food I'd expect to get served in a French restaurant.

Can't say anything about the taste but they could improve on the presentation....

• Like 2

40 yrs in USA where he made his name and had his most successful business but is an internationally known Chef and food transcends borders. Japan has the most 3 star Michelen restaurants, Spain the world's best, NY is know as the city that has the best food all round etc. etc. I had a pretty good lunch right here in CM today!!

I guess he may have a U.S. passport, who knows...but I think most people consider him an International chef.

It doesn't surprise me that Spain has "the world's best". I lived in Spain for 6 months and every day the food I had was the best of anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

Wolfgang Puck is Austrian by birth and an American; most of us Americans have roots elsewhere - 1, 2, 3 generations. half of here life

R
egarding the USA holding the #1 fat spot - it's true. But its a big country (no pun intended) and its over-waist size centers in the corn-fed Midwest. Now, guess what European country is referred to as the ‘fat caterpillar" and has consistently held that #1 fat spot?

Horse manure.

Wolfgang Puck is an American????? He is Austrian.