Lions Tour

The Squad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22344539

Interesting mix, not surprising excess of welsh players considering the manager, possibly deserved.

Not surprised by the Captain, again because of the manager, but in my opinion a gamble, not only because of three time tourist and the Grand Master O'Driscoll being on board, possibly not a shoe in for selection, but the Munster ' Big fellah' O'Connell, possibly withheld because of his injury concerns.

However, Warburton isn't even the best '7' in Wales, Tipurich undoubtly is, so the team will be at a disadvantage to start with, working alongside the welsh having a habit of losing against the Wallabies, one of the Irish should have been selected as Captain, one small gripe,

However the team looks good and balanced, I think they probably needed wilkinson, but he knows his body better than anybody else.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wallabies Squad named ...

Former rugby league international Israel Folau has been included in the preliminary Wallabies squad for the British and Irish Lions series, but Quade Cooper has missed out.

Folau, enjoying his debut season in professional rugby union, is one of three uncapped players named in the 25-man squad, which will be added to in the coming weeks.

It could be argued Cooper's omission is not surprising in light of his criticism of the Wallabies' set-up under coach Robbie Deans last year.

But his form in the past month for Queensland and his established halves partnership with Will Genia suggested he would be named.

He is not out of contention for the first Test against the Lions in Brisbane on June 22, as Deans will add six players to his squad on June 11.

YouTube report and the initial squad here

Good evening, gentlemen. Sorry I can't make it for the England Barbarians game this evening. I'm having dinner with Mad King Ludwig in the Gashaus. Let me know how Rowan Varty gets on...

I decided against going to HK for the Lions game on grounds of cost, though as my friend said of the World Cup game in Paris "sure, it's expensive, but it's probably the last time you'll be able to afford it..."

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

is it on Astro?

should be on australia network[hope so] as korat cable havent renewed their contract yet

bloody pissed off,missing the super 15,the euro cup final and the champions cup final.

• Like 1

I don't think it's on Eurpsport, but I am hoping Sentana will be showing it; I couldn't get the Astro timetable to load properly for the Sentana channels.

I don't think Fiji - Japan is being shown in the Pacific Nations Cup, but it's a working Saturday anyway

SC

Yes David a Kiwi, but with a strong Irish back ground, out manouvered by O'Sullivan in the Irish job, but a sound coach, his recent history with Wales has, in my opinion clouded his judgement. The captaincy is a joke, Warburton turned down the Welsh job, only to be given the Lions job.

He needed allies and that is the only reason, Warburton is not even the best 7 in Wales.

it is on setanta so I assume Astro will

Confirmed.

I read on the BBC Web site that Rowan Varty has not been included in the Barbarians team for the HK match, which is a shame.

SC

Eh? I thought I posted this before...

According to the South China Morning Post Rowan Varty's more than likely to be on the bench for the game in Hong Kong, with Mike Tindall reporting a possible injury

SC

I don't think it's on Eurpsport, but I am hoping Sentana will be showing it; I couldn't get the Astro timetable to load properly for the Sentana channels.

I don't think Fiji - Japan is being shown in the Pacific Nations Cup, but it's a working Saturday anyway

SC

Fiji-Japan is on live, have already checked this one. Will actually be an interesting game of Rugby.

SC

Fiji-Japan is on live, have already checked this one. Will actually be an interesting game of Rugby.

I can't find it on Astro - what channel?

EDIT: At least the Lions game is on live on astro on Channel 817 Astro Supersports 4 (where they carry a lot of Sentana games)

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

My apologies - when I posted I didn't check afterwards, and the quotes are all to buggery in the post above.

I couldn't find the Fiji - Japan game on Astro, but it is on live on the IRB web site, with a good stream. Frustratingly, my cable internet is out on the piss, but my 3G is coping admirably. And I've got the Toulon - Toulouse semi-final ad nauseam repeat on Astro as well...

My apologies, by the way, for not standing for the anthems, nor putting on trousers. No disrespect intended to anyone from Fiji or Japan who may be reading this...

SC

barbarians vs lions 6pm thai time,havent seen any info on kctv.barstewads still have not renewed their contract.they are still repeating games played months ago,i should get the australia games on their network.

A strong initial performance, Phillips had a great game, O'Connell had a Captains performance, AW Jones came on and was solid, they will be fighting for the same position.

I thought Tipurich was very good, again enhancing my view the wrong Captain was chosen, Sexton showed why he is no:1, Farrell showed immaturity, if Sexton is injured, be sure Wilkinson will be on the next plane.

Be interesting to see the team picked for Wednesday.

barbarians vs lions 6pm thai time,havent seen any info on kctv.barstewads still have not renewed their contract.they are still repeating games played months ago,i should get the australia games on their network.

well switched on 2.30pm yesterday yippeeee blues vs highlanders great up till 10minutes before time picture unscambled,7pm.not 6pm[hong kong time] lions vs ba-ba's picture ok but this was before 7 and a repeat then came the game same same no <deleted> picture i shall be finding out what kctv are up to,not paying a years subscription in advance again.

although i did see the toulouse vs castres.euro-sport.

So is this going to be the way of the series.....understrength sides with no hope of winning/getting close being fielded against the lions? Whats the point in watching a match where one side has no hope of getting within forty points because they are effectively a 2nd team? Its a tour not just a three test series.

If this continues then the Australian tour should be cancelled and an extra tour awarded alternating with NZ and RSA. Its one of the great traditions of rugby and should be treated accordingly or not done at all.

Its rare that i agree with clive Woodwood but on this one he's spot on.

So is this going to be the way of the series.....understrength sides with no hope of winning/getting close being fielded against the lions? Whats the point in watching a match where one side has no hope of getting within forty points because they are effectively a 2nd team? Its a tour not just a three test series.

If this continues then the Australian tour should be cancelled and an extra tour awarded alternating with NZ and RSA. Its one of the great traditions of rugby and should be treated accordingly or not done at all.

Its rare that i agree with clive Woodwood but on this one he's spot on.

If the Lions ... the best players that England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland played a Club, side say Harlequins ... what do you think the score would be?

If a local Australian side seriously troubled the Lions ... I'd be really worried.

It was a warm-up game, better then a training run. A good chance to acclimatise to Australian conditions.

What were you complaining about again?

No need for complaints really ... rolleyes.gif