Lions Tour

Rugby is such a team game, and the big clubs are so packed with international talent, that the best club in England is probably better than the England squad - partly through their international talent and partly because they play together more than 30 times a year. Similarly the Australian Super XV sides. And that is why the Barbarians struggle - they don't have the experience playing together

SC

So is this going to be the way of the series.....understrength sides with no hope of winning/getting close being fielded against the lions? Whats the point in watching a match where one side has no hope of getting within forty points because they are effectively a 2nd team? Its a tour not just a three test series.

If this continues then the Australian tour should be cancelled and an extra tour awarded alternating with NZ and RSA. Its one of the great traditions of rugby and should be treated accordingly or not done at all.

Its rare that i agree with clive Woodwood but on this one he's spot on.

If the Lions ... the best players that England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland played a Club, side say Harlequins ... what do you think the score would be?

If a local Australian side seriously troubled the Lions ... I'd be really worried.

It was a warm-up game, better then a training run. A good chance to acclimatise to Australian conditions.

What were you complaining about again?

No need for complaints really ... rolleyes.gif
  • Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ... the logic from your above statement is that the best players in the world of Rugby are non-English ... whistling.gif

I'm saying that for example a team like Toulon has more international players in their squad than there are international players in the England (or France) squad. And because the Toulon squad is not restricted to one nationality, they may have more better players available than the french coach can call upon. I choose Toulon as probably the most extreme example of a club side with international talent.

SC

• Like 1

So is this going to be the way of the series.....understrength sides with no hope of winning/getting close being fielded against the lions? Whats the point in watching a match where one side has no hope of getting within forty points because they are effectively a 2nd team? Its a tour not just a three test series.

If this continues then the Australian tour should be cancelled and an extra tour awarded alternating with NZ and RSA. Its one of the great traditions of rugby and should be treated accordingly or not done at all.

If the Lions ... the best players that England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland played a Club, side say Harlequins ... what do you think the score would be?

If a local Australian side seriously troubled the Lions ... I'd be really worried.

It was a warm-up game, better then a training run. A good chance to acclimatise to Australian conditions.

And you clearly have little understanding about what a Lions tour represents. In your usual childish manner all you've done is take my comments as a slur against your nation which ofcourse its not.

Aside of that, you obciously don't have a clue what you are talking about so lets leave it at that

So ... the logic from your above statement is that the best players in the world of Rugby are non-English ... whistling.gif

I'm saying that for example a team like Toulon has more international players in their squad than there are international players in the England (or France) squad. And because the Toulon squad is not restricted to one nationality, they may have more better players available than the french coach can call upon. I choose Toulon as probably the most extreme example of a club side with international talent.

SC

You're wasting your time with his logicwink.png He's already started on the "you don't like us aussies" bandwagon. Sadcoffee1.gif

In 2007 the All-Blacks whinged about Scotland resting some of their top players in their world cup pool game, but Scotland were quite right to do so, as even if they had beaten the All-Blacks, a loss against Italy would have seen them out of the competition. So instead they focussed on the italy game, and just as well that they did, because they only just squeezed past them into the Quarter-Finals.

Perhaps the Provinces are treating the Lions tour as less critical than their Super XV games. As I understand, the touring sides do the same thing, by the way, fielding their many of their Possibles as well as some of their Probables, in order to see how the Possibles fit into the team, prior to making selection decisions for the Tests.

SC

• Like 1

And you clearly have little understanding about what a Lions tour represents. In your usual childish manner all you've done is take my comments as a slur against your nation which ofcourse its not.

Aside of that, you obciously don't have a clue what you are talking about so lets leave it at that

I love it when we exchange ideas carmine ... giggle.gif

OK ... here's your big opportunity ... in the words of carmine ... just "what a Lions tour represents"?

As for 'all you've done is take my comments as a slur against your nation which of course its not' ... actually no. No slur against my nation. You've (again) made the wrong assumption ... rolleyes.gif

So, here's your soapbox ... please regale us all with what you know about Rugby ... coffee1.gif

BTW ... apologies to the OP for this wee bit of sparring before the whistle ... wai.gif

* I put the big spaces in there so that you could easily identify your opportunity.

I love it when we exchange ideas carmine ... giggle.gif

OK ... here's your big opportunity ... in the words of carmine ... just "what a Lions tour represents"?

As for 'all you've done is take my comments as a slur against your nation which of course its not' ... actually no. No slur against my nation. You've (again) made the wrong assumption ... rolleyes.gif

So, here's your soapbox ... please regale us all with what you know about Rugby ... coffee1.gif

BTW ... apologies to the OP for this wee bit of sparring before the whistle ... wai.gif

* I put the big spaces in there so that you could easily identify your opportunity.

Get a hobby

I suppose David will be glad there's just three Scots on the tour...

Our trip to South Africa starts with Samoa this evening, just as soon as I get back from the Malaysia - Singapore game.

SC

I suppose David will be glad there's just three Scots on the tour...

Our trip to South Africa starts with Samoa this evening, just as soon as I get back from the Malaysia - Singapore game.

SC

Will any of them play against the Aussies though? I have my doubts....

Dear oh dear carmine....it seems you have found the wrong sport, never mind the wrong code.

Rugby fans don't beat each other up before the match....but a bit of gloating afterwards is always a pleasure. biggrin.png

this is about respecting the traditions of a Lions tour. Simple as that. Then you have silly people not knowing the sport, not knowing what the Lions tour is about, not knowing the strengths of league teams these days, not understanding jack sh1t of what they are talking.

Tell me, do you want to watch six roll over games this tour because understrength sides have been fielded? No i doubt you would. So i say fine, if things don't change, give the once every twelve years aussie tour to the others. They clearly don'r believe in entering into the spirit of things so let the Lions tour where they do.

Right sport and obviously right code(didn't understand that one i'm afraid)

• Like 1

Dear oh dear carmine....it seems you have found the wrong sport, never mind the wrong code.

Rugby fans don't beat each other up before the match....but a bit of gloating afterwards is always a pleasure. biggrin.png

this is about respecting the traditions of a Lions tour. Simple as that. Then you have silly people not knowing the sport, not knowing what the Lions tour is about, not knowing the strengths of league teams these days, not understanding jack sh1t of what they are talking.

Tell me, do you want to watch six roll over games this tour because understrength sides have been fielded? No i doubt you would. So i say fine, if things don't change, give the once every twelve years aussie tour to the others. They clearly don'r believe in entering into the spirit of things so let the Lions tour where they do.

I agree the Lions Tour should be a bit special....full strength sides and going for it tooth and nail. It seems the other sides have forgotten this.....but I doubt the Aussies will.

I agree the Lions Tour should be a bit special....full strength sides and going for it tooth and nail. It seems the other sides have forgotten this.....but I doubt the Aussies will.

No, thats the point. Its the australian rugby union that are at fault. They are resting the top players for the state of origin and the wallaby tests. The Lions want to be tested in every game and can be beaten. But the point is they need tough matches as done any team in order to get better. They are a scratch side and getting beat does happen contrary to posters that don't do their homework seem to think.

No, thats the point. Its the australian rugby union that are at fault. They are resting the top players for the state of origin and the wallaby tests. The Lions want to be tested in every game and can be beaten. But the point is they need tough matches as done any team in order to get better. They are a scratch side and getting beat does happen contrary to posters that don't do their homework seem to think.

I doubt that the Union will be that bothered about resting the players for State of Origin; I doubt there's many players involved in any case, what with it being a League comp.

I thought it was normal practice that players were made unavailable for club matches immediately before tests

SC

• Like 2

Some interesting discussions above ... a regular fusion of Union and League.

So ... who will be watching the QLD Reds vs the Lions game on Sat night?

Sadly, it won't be on free to air in Australia.

I doubt it. Not when it clashes with Malaysia Singapore. To be honest, my eyes will be worn out by the end of the day. I'm recording Widnes Wigan tonight, then off for Qatar v the Mighty Guam followed by a peninsular derby between Singapore, famous for its remarkable similarity to the Isle of Wight, and Malaysia, and then in the evening Scotland Samoa from South Africa. I'll probably not bother with South Africa Italy, or Russia Romania, or Argentina England, or even Canada Tonga

SC

• Like 1

I doubt it. Not when it clashes with Malaysia Singapore. To be honest, my eyes will be worn out by the end of the day. I'm recording Widnes Wigan tonight, then off for Qatar v the Mighty Guam followed by a peninsular derby between Singapore, famous for its remarkable similarity to the Isle of Wight, and Malaysia, and then in the evening Scotland Samoa from South Africa. I'll probably not bother with South Africa Italy, or Russia Romania, or Argentina England, or even Canada Tonga

SC

SC ... you have the endurance of a Marathon Man ... thumbsup.gif

Does it have anything to do with the consumption of Irn Bru ?

I t would appear that Smokie believes you have drifted in to the Oval ball magic instead of the round ball nonsense, as for codes, state of origin is 13 man Rugby league the Lions are Union with 15.

I will be watching the match, but i do not the Reds team, although I see Quade Cooper is captain, he has a rather strange stance when he kicks and this also appears when he tries a line break, which makes the dummy pass and charge easier to read.

Western Force were without quite a few key players for varying reasons, including an important match coming up, but I think they disrespected the Lions, but also disrespected their own players, who on Earth would not want a Lions game on your CV?

Back on topic ... the Lions will be playing the QLD Reds tonight, maybe in in 30 mins or an hour and it's almost a sell-out crowd. so expect 40-45,000 at the game.

It's a cool night as it's what we call Winter down under and it has been drizzling this afternoon.

I hope that it's a good match.

Enjoy ...

Back on topic ...

What a good idea thumbsup.gif

A tough old game for the Lions, Quade Cooper was his usual sublime to the rediculous self.

I don't think there was a stand out player for the Lions, good running breaks by North and Bowe, Warburtons first game back was not impressive, I know he will start the Test, but I firmly believe he is behind Tipurich.

Because of Warburton, Gatland will go for a Welsh back row, Lydiate, Falateau & Warburton.

Anyhow now to pick my team and the one I think will play.

3 games gone and this is my pick for the first test:

15:Halfpenny

14:North

13:O'Driscoll

12:Roberts

11:Bowe Cuthbert

10:Sexton

9:Phillips

I think the backs are going to be heavily influenced by Gatlands Welsh bias:

8: Faletao

7:Warburton

6:Lydiate

5:AW Jones

4:Gray

3:Vunipola

2:Hibbard

1:A Jones

3 games gone and this is my pick for the first test:

I think the backs are going to be heavily influenced by Gatlands Welsh bias:

8: Faletao

7:Warburton

5:AW Jones

2:Hibbard

However this would be my pick:

8: Heaslip

7:Tipurich

5:O'Connell

2:Best

20130609003057660519-600x400.jpg

Acknowledgement

Did anyone watch the game?

The score-line seemed to indicate that it was a solid encounter for the Lions.

Should make a few members here happy ... biggrin.png

Our news from the game on the injury front for the Lion is ...

Ireland winger Tommy Bowe would be forced out of the tour after
breaking his hand during the Lions' 22-12 win against the Reds in
Brisbane.

Bowe is the third player the Lions have lost to injury in two days.

Prop Gethin Jenkins flies home on Sunday after a calf tear
did not heal in time and Cian Healy has been ruled out with ligament
damage in his left ankle.

Alex Corbisiero and Ryan Grant, from England and Scotland respectively,

have been flown in as replacements.

20130609003057660519-600x400.jpg

Acknowledgement

Did anyone watch the game?

The score-line seemed to indicate that it was a solid encounter for the Lions.

Should make a few members here happy ... biggrin.png

Our news from the game on the injury front for the Lion is ...

Ireland winger Tommy Bowe would be forced out of the tour after

breaking his hand during the Lions' 22-12 win against the Reds in

Brisbane.

Bowe is the third player the Lions have lost to injury in two days.

Prop Gethin Jenkins flies home on Sunday after a calf tear

did not heal in time and Cian Healy has been ruled out with ligament

damage in his left ankle.

Alex Corbisiero and Ryan Grant, from England and Scotland respectively,

have been flown in as replacements.

what a feast nz.vs france score was a bit flattering for france if dan carter had been kicking there would have been more pionts on the board.

lions were unlucky not to have scored 3 more tries,it was only good defensive work by the reds that kept them out but all in all a good work out for the boys.who's goner stop george north mighty impresive and owen farrell.

scotland lost to samoa who were tooooooooooo strong,england stuffed the pumas who only came for some argy bargy.

Wales did well to beat Japan with so many players on Lions duty, but the most impressive result surely was Emerging Ireland's win in Georgia, while their senior side beat the USA in Houston.

Scotland's loss to Samoa was disappointing, but not too surprising

In the serious games, though, Canada beat Tonga to top the Pacific Nations Cup table, and you can read about the Asian Division Two and Three competitions on the International Rugby thread

SC

The Lions team of '71 might be in their sixties now but could hane easily beaten that pub team last tuesday.

Roll on saturday to a waratahs b team. biggrin.png Such a shame

Anyway dave, since you'll doubtless be reading this, is, in your esteemed opinion, Warner the biggest d*ckhead in aussie cricket? Do you think he should be sent home or should a slap on the wrist suffice? he is one of your better players after all.

Anyway dave, since you'll doubtless be reading this, is, in your esteemed opinion, Warner the biggest d*ckhead in aussie cricket? Do you think he should be sent home or should a slap on the wrist suffice? he is one of your better players after all.

I'm confused ... is this the Rugby or the Cricket Thread?

Oh ... that's right ... it's the Rugby Thread ... biggrin.png

Actually, no-one, to date has started a Ashes Cricketing Thread and given your light work-load of 6 OP's since joining (despite almost 10,000 posts) there is your opportunity.

Go forth and post young man ... the opportunity beckons you ... rolleyes.gif

Shhhhh shush-smiley-emoticon.gif Just between you and me carmine ... I feel nothing but embarrassment (as a person, as an Australian, as a sports fan) in relation to that player ... dry.png

A huge talent that appears to be wasted due to the lack of humility.

After his string of indiscretions? I say ... smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emot ... enough!

Seriously, strike up the Cricketing Thread and we can continue our discussions there ... thumbsup.gif

The Lions team of '71 might be in their sixties now but could hane easily beaten that pub team last tuesday.

Roll on saturday to a waratahs b team. biggrin.png Such a shame

Yes ... a great result for the Lions Team.

Not much better then a training run and while I didn't get to see the actual game, I did catch the highlight reels and the Lions silky backline movements were great to watch.

When the time of the First Test match comes, I'm sure the combined might of the Lions Team will go in (quite rightly) as favourites.

I hope that the home crowd can lift the Wallabies to play at a higher level.