Lions Tour

Yes ... that did make the news last night ... giggle.gif

Actually, what is impressive is just how much this first game is being anticipated in both Brisbane where the game is being played, and the Nation at large.

It's on the TV news and the ABC (same BBC) radio spoke about nothing else for an hour this morning.

Plus they plan their lead -in commentary to start tonight ... 3 hours before kick-off.

Sadly, without a genuine lead-in game for the Wallabies, I think that, while we will be competitive, maynot come out ahead, come the final whistle.

Here's hoping fro a smashing game tonight.

Updated weather report ... crystal clear blue skies, so rain will not be an issue.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right that's breakfast done !

2 toast, egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans, hash brown, oh and a black coffee. wink.png

jealous ? good !

now down the pub for a light appetizer of a couple or 3,4,5.............. pints of the black stuff while i watch our Lions give the wimpish Wallabies a massive lesson in how to play Rugby. (coached by a Kiwi for good measure) biggrin.png

WOW!!

That was one of the best games I've seen in years!

well dai once again i got to see f--- all,kctv showed badmington.you might ask why i dont go down the pub? i have chest problems so anywhere that has smokers is a no go area for me,was it exciting.

Good win but rather fortuitous. Can't say i agreed with the refs ruling on the breakdowns. how many penalties did we concede? 13 or 14?

Next week will be tougher and we'll have to play better all round, but Tommy Bowe and Tuilagi are both fit again so we'll be stronger come the second test.

What a player Israel Felao is! He's going to be a right handful this series!

• Like 1

Can't see the Lions winning another game from here on.

Especially if the Aussies find someone who can kick straight and not miss shots at goal. Which proves that the Lions are not so far in front as many think.

Edited by oldsailor35

Especially if the Aussies find someone who can kick straight and not miss shots at goal. Which proves that the Lions are not so far in front as many think.

thats true enough but unfortunately the key player in the first test was the referee. Awarded 13 penalties against the lions and crucified us at the breakdowns. Surely the coaches and captains agreed with him before on how he was viewing things so why did one side not get it? very strange and i hope there's no repeat of this on saturday as we all want to see a flowing game

I'm also pleased to see the aussie captain back for the 2nd test because we want a competitive game but how for the life of me did he escape a ban for what was apparently such a blatent stamping offense?

the second test will be a nail biter. Lets not forget the aussies have who i think could be the best scum half in the world, the awesome Israel Felao and i doubt our friend will have his slippery kicking boots on for the 2nd test. lions have lost O'Connell which is a huge blow but have a strengthened back line especially with Tommy Bowe back

Its too close to call.

Lets be clear, Pollock is known for his referreing at the break down, so play the southern hemisphere game and Pollock in particular, O'Driscoll was right in the N.H game but wrong in Pollocks mind, someone should have done the homework.

However, brilliant game, Lions did their best to lose it, but did not exploit the loose areas.

Including Youngs at 9 is good, but I think he should have brought in O'Brien, but perhaps Lydiatte to try and shore up the break down, O'Brien may go on a misadventured charge, when defense would be better may have taken the lead role.

But if he comes on during broken play, maybe after 60mins chaos could ensue.

The decision to have H'penny kicking ( despite his brilliance ) leaving Sexton to concentrate on game playing, is brilliant.

Prediction:

Falou to score one, Bowe to score one, O'Connor and HP to trade penalties, The Lions scrum to turn the match, O'Driscoll to score the winning points in a tight match.

I can dream...................

• Like 1

So, an update from Down Under for the 2nd Test.

_68434002_samwarburton_getty_171101205.j

They know they dodged a bullet in Brisbane, as much a victim of their own tactical substitutions and poor game management as Kurtley Beale's choice of boots.

They cannot hope to ride their luck to the same extent again, against a Wallabies side who will be, as Gatland acknowledged, "absolutely desperate" and will "throw the kitchen sink at us".

This tour still has the potential to go pear-shaped at the business end but there is every indication the Lions feel they won't need such fortune this time.

BBC Sports

By IAN RANSOM AND ANDREW BALDOCK
Published on 29/06/2013 00:08

GEORGE North’s try in the first Test against Australia was the crowning moment of a memorable Lions debut, but as the winger prepares for today’s second instalment he revealed team manager Andy Irvine left him embarrassed about the triumphant finger he wagged in Will Genia’s face.

A Scottish Perspective

Rod Macqueen backs Wallabies
June 28, 2013
The Wallabies are perfectly positioned to defeat the British & Irish Lions in Melbourne on Saturday night to level the Tom Richards Cup series, former Australia coach Rod Macqueen says.
  • Like 1

^^

With the Bookies the Lions are firm favourites @ $1.63 (Australian based odds)
telstradome.jpg
Being played at the Telstra dome, Colonial Stadium, Docklands Stadium, sorry ... Etihad stadium
Weather ...
It's an overcast day in Melbourne, currently 12C, about 9C for kick-off.
No rain is expected however, this being Melbourne, famous for having four seasons in a day ..
220px-Telstra_Dome_Panoramic.jpg
... they can close the roof.
  • Like 1

• 6832ce54-023d-4547-af7c-3cad0648bf61.jpg

And the goal falls short. Wallabies win.

by Paul Newman 6:51 PM

6832ce54-023d-4547-af7c-3cad0648bf61.jpg

Leigh Halfpenny to kick for goal 50m out, about 15m in from touch to win the game.

by Paul Newman 6:50 PM

Lions win a penalty on the halfway line, after full-time.

by Paul Newman 6:49 PM

Lions earn a penalty, siren goes.

by Paul Newman 6:48 PM

Wallabies just need to keep the ball for 30 seconds.

by Paul Newman 6:48 PM

Wallabies lead 16-15 one minute to go.

by Paul Newman 6:47 PM

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0703/460253-lions/

Brian O'Driscoll has been dropped for the British and Irish Lions third and decisive test against Australia on Saturday.

It leaves Welsh lock Alun Wyn Jones to captain a powerful and much-changed side.

The team features six changes to the starting line-up from the side that lost 16-15 to the Wallabies in Melbourne last Saturday.

That levelled the three-match series following the Lions' 23-21 victory in the Brisbane opener.

Leinster and Ireland centre O'Driscoll was expected by many to take the captaincy after Sam Warburton suffered a tour-ending hamstring injury.

But he was left out of the matchday squad altogether, bringing a premature end to his 12-year career with the tourists.

The 34-year-old, who was on his fourth Lions tour but still searching for his first test series win, started both previous tests, but coach Warren Gatland said he thought Welshman Jamie Roberts offered "something more".

Read Keith Wood's reaction to Gatland decision

"Obviously he was pretty disappointed as anyone is disappointed, but he appreciated the fact that he was spoken to before the announcement," Gatland told a news conference in Noosa, Queensland.

"It's the first time any coach has ever had that decision with him in 15 years of rugby so it's not easy for that to be the first time.

"He's still going to be very important to us in the next 72 hours in terms of his experience and leadership."

In a tweet this morning, O'Driscoll said: "Obviously totally gutted at being left out for deciding Test but all efforts go into preparing the boys to see it through."

All-Black Dan Carter tweeted: "There must be some angry Irish out there waking up to see @BrianODriscoll not playing this weekend. #ShouldBeTheCaptain".

Donal Lenihan believes O'Driscoll's axing will hurt squad

Northern Ireland Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinnes described Gatland's call as "mind boggling".

Jamie Heaslip is also dropped from the squad, but Tommy Bowe, Jonathan Sexton and Sean O'Brien will start in Sydney.

Roberts, who missed the first two tests with a hamstring injury, and Jonathan Davies will instead start in the centre, two of ten Welshmen in the starting line-up.

Toby Faletau comes in at number eight for Heaslip and Mike Phillips, who played in the first test, but was rested for the second because of concerns about his knee, returns at scrum-half in place of England's Ben Youngs.

O'Brien replaces Warburton at openside flanker in the new-look back row, which suggests the Lions will again look to blow the Wallabies away up front rather than play too expansively.

Loosehead prop Alex Corbisiero returns in the front row after missing the second test with a calf problem, pushing his England team mate Mako Vunipola, who was heavily penalised at the scrum in Melbourne, back to the bench.

Welshman Richard Hibbard gets the nod over England's Tom Youngs at hooker for his first test start of the tour with his compatriot Adam Jones again providing the fulcrum at tighthead.

Gatland said choosing the team had been difficult and that the "head had ruled over the heart in many selection decisions".

"We've had a few players coming back from injury, and for quite a few positions as well, between the first and second tests, they were toss-up positions," he added.

"It was quite a lively meeting we had with the coaches last night in terms of making the final selection. It was tough, but we've come up with a side we think is good enough to do the job on Saturday."

The New Zealander said the team had been picked before Wyn Jones, who played in all three tests on the last Lions tour to South Africa four years ago, was chosen as the best candidate to captain the side.

"Hopefully, it was about the way I play and not about the way I lead. It's as simple as that," said the 27-year-old lock.

"I played first with an eye on getting in the test selection and to be in the position I am in for the final test is pretty special for me personally, but there's still a job to do."

With O'Driscoll failing even to make the bench, the power of England's Manu Tuilagi was preferred to cover the backline, while flanker Justin Tipuric and Scottish lock Richie Gray also get a first chance of tasting test action on the tour.

"It all comes down to Saturday," Gatland added. "Winner takes all. We know we can leave nothing in the tank and that only a complete performance will get us across the line."

Team: 15-Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), 14-Tommy Bowe (Ireland), 13-Jonathan Davies (Wales), 12-Jamie Roberts (Wales), 11-George North (Wales), 10-Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), 9-Mike Phillips (Wales), 8-Toby Faletau (Wales), 7-Sean O'Brien (Ireland), 6-Dan Lydiate (Wales), 5-Geoff Parling (England), 4-Alun Wyn Jones (captain, Wales), 3-Adam Jones (Wales), 2-Richard Hibbard (Wales), 1-Alex Corbisiero (England)

Replacements - 16-Tom Youngs (England), Mako Vunipola (England), 18-Dan Cole (England), 19-Richie Gray (Scotland), 20-Justin Tipuric (Wales), 21-Conor Murray (Ireland), 22-Owen Farrell (England), 23-Manu Tuilagi (England)

Amongst the most astonishing decisions I have ever come across, and smacks entirely of trying to leave a legacy, If they lose, well they lose, but if they win, he is a genius, in his own mind.

Totally pathetic, and I mean pathetic decision, he hasn't made line breaks sure, but look at his defensive tackling, bar none.

Someone from outside the home countries should never be let near a Lions squad ever again, pure roulette, if he loses he walks away, the Lions haven't won in 16 odd years, but if he wins, a stroke of genius.

Gatland doesn't believe in the power of a Captain, crikey, never before have I seen such a pathetic decision.

Advance Australia Fair, personally, for the first time since I followed rugby and that is a long time have I not cared of the outcome of a Lions test.

This is about Gatland, not the Lions, and that is pathetic.

Mossfinn bugging out of this thread. I don't care of the outcome, <deleted>, it was davies who missed the tackle for the try, not the Grand Master.

It is about Gatland, not the Lions, and that is so wrong!!

• Like 2

Read the post again.

Where did I say I would sacrifice the Lions, I said I didn't care of the outcome, because it was about one man's ambition, not about the Lions.

My point about not being of the Home Countries is because he doesn't understand the Lions tradition, crickey he coached Ireland, I know him and yes I didn't quibble about his selection as coach, but this is all about Gatland not the Lions.

If you are going to post about Rugby, try and get your facts right!

• Like 2

key word for today's game i think is " intensity "

first off i don't rate this Wallabies side one bit ! a few good individuals, but a distance from past great Aussie sides and you'd probably get most Aussies who know a thing or to about Rugby to admit it to.

the LIons have to go out there today and be in their faces for the whole 80 mins. know what it means to pull on the jersey, fight for every ball, be first at the breakdown, turn the screw in the scrums, hassle at the line out, don't give them a second with the ball and most of all play with a passion the way the game is meant to be played, just like their fore fathers and compatriots have done before them.

on the issue of selections, i think Gatland has made the right call !, but that's just my personal opinion. you can't just pick someone because of their reputation, rely on form and go with a gut instinct and that is what he has done.

personally i feel for Justin Tipuric not getting a call up.

oh and one thing to bare in mind the ref is a frog.biggrin.png

Edited by tigerfish