Camera Recommendation, Buying In Bangkok, About 10,000 Baht

Great forum! I must have been in a cave to not see this for so long.

I'm tired of researching camera's online, then going to the store and not being able to find them, or anything like the prices that I hope for. Could somebody make a recommendation or two for what and where to buy?

I'm looking for a camera better than the cheap point and shoots, but not anything as big or as expensive as the really good SLR'ish cameras. I love photography, but have to acknowledge that I'm not that talented. I want a convenient camera that can take sharp focus shots and HD video, hopefully good enough to take a great shot if I accidentally point it in the right direction and push the button at the right time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you can stretch your budget a little I would suggest you pop along to AV camera in Bangrak and look at the Fuji X10. (X 20 for a little more)

Review here: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/fuji-x10/

AV link: http://avcamera.com/

I've just bought one for my 11 year old daughter and she's producing some real good stuff.

Edited by fimgirl

If you can stretch your budget a little I would suggest you pop along to AV camera in Bangrak and look at the Fuji X10. (X 20 for a little more)

Thank you for the feedback. Looks tempting, especially the X20. Twice what I was hoping to spend, but my last camera cost 6,000 baht and the best thing I can say about it was that it fit in my pocket.

Edited by Monkey Fish

What about a first time DSLR? we are expecting our first & am sure will need to take a millions of pics smile.png

I guess that would depend on both your budget and experience as a photographer. Perhaps you'd provide a little more information for the members.

If you're willing to put time and effort into learning photography, buy something more expensive that has a big sensor. Otherwise if you just want a 10,000 baht compact, you can't go far wrong with a Canon IMO. You're not going to see huge differences between the various small-sensor cameras - arguably a 5,000 baht one will be plenty. A compromise between the two might be the Nikon 1 series.

Thank you for the continuing feedback.

I'm not considering an SLR for a couple reasons. One is that I don't want to start collecting (and paying for) lenses, which I certainly would. Another is that I wouldn't be likely to carry it around as often, just as happened with the nice Nikon SLR film camera I have around here somewhere... (Not to hijack my own thread, but does anybody have ideas what might be done with an old film SLR? Maybe some kid at Silpakorn University would have a use for it...)

I've had a couple Canon point-and-shoot's, but this time I would like something with better lens/focus, and better color. The Canon's recorded the memories well enough, but I was always disappointed with the actual photographs.

In addition to the specific camera recommendations, I'm also wondering where the cheapest places to buy cameras are.

Thanks in advance.

We are expecting our first & am sure will need to take a millions of pics smile.png

Congratulations! It so happens that this camera purchase is motivated in part by my guilt that I'm not taking great photos of my kids.

Edited by Monkey Fish

Another is that I wouldn't be likely to carry it around as often, just as happened with the nice Nikon SLR film camera I have around here somewhere...

Why not just use your smartphone? I only carry around a slr for specific reasons - other than that I wouldn't bother with a dedicated camera at all nowadays.

I've had a couple Canon point-and-shoot's, but this time I would like something with better lens/focus,

For any camera with a small sensor there are going to be minimal differences between the quality of the lenses. The focus on any small sensor camera will always be contrast-detect, and hence slow and prone to misfocussing (though the large depth of field will minimise this issue somewhat). I don't believe buying a new small-sensor camera will give you any major improvement over whatever you have currently in these respects.

and better color.

You will see some difference in colour with different brands. Personally I think Canon colour is great. Whatever you do, avoid Panasonic if colour is a concern.

We are expecting our first & am sure will need to take a millions of pics smile.png

Congratulations! It so happens that this camera purchase is motivated in part by my guilt that I'm not taking great photos of my kids.

If I was having a baby I'd get an entry level dslr with a cheap 35mm 1.8 lens and not look back.

Thought this link below might be helpful might be helpful. This is a popular site for camera enthusiasts. Listed are many camera
reviews, from point and shoot to high end.

Just remember that most cameras have a host of adjustments. Rather than leave it on auto, it is worth playing around with these settings.

www.dpreview.com/camerareviews

I agree that a higher spec compact is the way to go, though 10k is a bit optimistic for one of the enthusiast models.

Maybe a Lumix TZ25 or on of it's successors if it will fit in budget, but it would would have a small sensor. Main advantage is its high quality lens.

Thank you all for the great contributions.

For better or worse I came home today with a Nikon D3100. It was clear to me that I was going to be tempted into a higher quality compact/enthusiast camera, but when I started comparing prices and saw what I could get for the same money in a beginner/budget SLR, I made the decision pretty easily. Talk about true colors.

The links provided above were quite useful. One site's review of the Fuji X10 took me back a few years to an old haunt in Seattle. Thank you for that. And dpreview is what led me to the camera I bought.

As for buying, it looks like avcamera in Bang Rak advertises some pretty good prices. But the last time I went to Bang Rak I got married, so...

I purchased at Mega. A number of camera shops, all with the same list price, but once you get talking they tell you they'll discount 10%. A little shopping around and I ended up at Big Camera with 13% "discount" which made it pretty close to the avcamera.com price. I suspect they would have matched avcamera if I had pushed the issue.

First shots taken, so much better than the old point and shoot. And it takes pictures so fast! Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Time will tell on the size/convenience factor.

Thanks again.

Edited by Monkey Fish

OK budget is not unlimited but not really a concern but i guess - 20k? I have very limited experience in photography, but as a chef have taken & lost thousand of food shots over the years & now really regret not having better pictures and or an organised data bank of them - which I dont want to do with my first child.

I currently use Canon Ixus for the follwing reasons - Size is great, easy to use, battery life is unbelieveable & i like the feel of it.

Thank you all for the great contributions.

For better or worse I came home today with a Nikon D3100...

First shots taken, so much better than the old point and shoot. And it takes pictures so fast! Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Time will tell on the size/convenience factor.

Thanks again.

Good choice! Now go out and spend a few thousand baht on a 35mm 1.8G AFS-DX lens and your journey will be complete. It will also make the camera a touch less bulky.

OK budget is not unlimited but not really a concern but i guess - 20k? I have very limited experience in photography, but as a chef have taken & lost thousand of food shots over the years & now really regret not having better pictures and or an organised data bank of them - which I dont want to do with my first child.

I currently use Canon Ixus for the follwing reasons - Size is great, easy to use, battery life is unbelieveable & i like the feel of it.

Probably just get a newer Ixus then. An s100 or other expensive compact probably won't feel as good in the hand, and the difference in your photos would be minimal anyway.

Just saw world camera sale - d3100 18500 with sigma lense, good deal?? good lense to start?

If you go this route, get the d3100 with either the standard lens (Nikkor 18-55vr) or another Nikkor such as 18-105vr or - my recommendation - the 35mm 1.8. The sigma is likely more trouble than it's worth - focus issues, yellow cast etc. - it's a reverse engineered lens...

Just saw world camera sale - d3100 18500 with sigma lense, good deal?? good lense to start?

If you go this route, get the d3100 with either the standard lens (Nikkor 18-55vr) or another Nikkor such as 18-105vr or - my recommendation - the 35mm 1.8. The sigma is likely more trouble than it's worth - focus issues, yellow cast etc. - it's a reverse engineered lens...

The avcamera.com link provided by the first reply shows that they list the camera for 16,000 (all in Thai, so I'm not sure that's including lens). I picked it up at Big Camera (with the AF-5 Nikkor 18-55 lens) for about 16,400. Also included: two 4gig flash cards, Nikkon camera bag, and lens cloth.

• Like 1