Korean Tourist Threatens To Sue Pattaya City Over Boat Crash

webfact

Korean tourist threatens to sue Pattaya city over boat crash

PATTAYA, 30 April 2013 (NNT) - One of the eighteen South Korean tourists injured during a boat collision in Pattaya is threatening to file a lawsuit against the city’s municipality for lack of efficiency in rescue operations.

Deputy Mayor of Pattaya Ronakit Ekasing told the press that the wife of a passenger whose leg was completely severed in the boat crash is considering taking legal action against the city. She cited the delay in rescue operations as the main reason for the lawsuit.

The now disabled South Korean national was a taxi driver in his native country. His wife is demanding compensation from city officials for loss of livelihoods due to the injury.

Mr Ronakit said the legal action stems from a misunderstanding as the victim’s wife believed that her husband’s leg could have been saved if he had been given medical treatment earlier. He made known that additional clarification of the incident would be given to the South Korean family in a bid to clear up the misunderstanding.

Eighteen South Korean tourists were injured, two seriously, in a two-boat crash off Pattaya’s Koh Larn over a week ago. One of the tourist-speedboat drivers who fled the scene has since surrendered himself to the police.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-01 footer_n.gif

It would be very interesting if these Koreans could get together and file a lawsuit against all those involved in the accident, including the boat operator, tour company, and the relevant city and provincials involved in regulating these boats. I'm no expert on thai law but I know nothing changes until it starts costing someone money!

I don't hold out much hope, however.

In all fairness, the boat operator should be paying for loss of leg, pain and suffering as well as loss of income.

Sadly though i doubt they had any insurance, in which case perhaps the boat can be sold off and money from sale given to the injured

The issue here is that even if they sued and won, went through all appeals and supreme court the final amount of compensation would be minimal after 15 years of dealing with the courts. I sued someone for breach of contract here and ended up with 200k when I won, lawyers cost me 700k... no point, just take other measures seems to be the Thai way, courts are a waste of time and money, I saw one comment that embarrass the hell out of them on social media in Korea and destroy the involved parties and their industry is the best way to go to get revenge, maybe sue the Korean tour operator and then they can take action because, compensation will never happen. Remember the famous very large shopping mall that opened and a little girl fell down the atrium, the shopping mall graciously paid her medical bills and expected everyone to applaud them. Opening without protective railings to protect the public should have resulted in criminal charges against the owners but that never happens when they are connected. If that had happened in the USA the little girl and her family would own that mall by now...

I agree that the most practical way to at least maybe get some improvement is to name and shame pattaya and these tour operators and the irresponsible way these boats operate in the Korean news media and on social media sites. Similar to what people try to do with the jet ski scammers, if enough people hear about these scams and negligent safety practices viv-a-vis Thailand/pattaya AND go elsewhere, to the extent it starts t affect the bottom lines of influential people here, then things might change.

• Like 2

The Deputy Mayor thinks he can make an excuse to "clear up the misunderstanding". blink.png

Hey fool, the man lost his leg, that is pretty clear so what about doing something positive about it and seek compensation for him, check out the legality of the boat, its operators and the license of the driver, after which, assist the Korean woman. I thought also it was mandatory for 3rd party liability insurance now for operators?

• Like 1

The Deputy Mayor thinks he can make an excuse to "clear up the misunderstanding". blink.png

Hey fool, the man lost his leg, that is pretty clear so what about doing something positive about it and seek compensation for him, check out the legality of the boat, its operators and the license of the driver, after which, assist the Korean woman. I thought also it was mandatory for 3rd party liability insurance now for operators?

There are many many things in Thailand which are mandatory.........the laws exist, the enforcement does not.

• Like 1

How much money does Korea invest in Thailand?

No idea but S Korea is an industrialised nation probably not stupid enough to invest much in Thailand, USA and Europe is more their preference.

I worked there for a year and would put their standards on a par with Japan.

This accident claim, if arbitrarily dismissed by Thai authorities will cost dearly.

You can't drive a motor bike without insurance. I'm sure you can't drive a tour bus without insurance, so I'm fairly certain that there must be a law requiring speed boats carrying 18 tourists to have insurance.

Most of the speed boats launch from the same place down at Bali Hai every morning. It wouldn't take a big effort to send a team of council officials and police down there one morning to check for insurance. No insurance cert., no work. If they can check motorbikes they can check speedboats.

• Like 1

How much money does Korea invest in Thailand?

No idea but S Korea is an industrialised nation probably not stupid enough to invest much in Thailand, USA and Europe is more their preference.

I worked there for a year and would put their standards on a par with Japan.

This accident claim, if arbitrarily dismissed by Thai authorities will cost dearly.

Nobody dismisses a claim quite like the Thais

I would be curious to find out what exactly was the chain of events leading from the original accident to the loss of the leg. Clearly the Korean family feels that the post accident care was so poor that a lawsuit is justified. Was a body snatcher pickup truck waiting on the dock with nothing inside in terms of medical support ? Guess we will know later.

Goodbye Korean Tourism...

If the tourists dont get fair and legal compensation, I hope it gets publicity in Korea and damages the tourism business with Korea.

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app