i found this interesting

http://voices.yahoo.com/olive-trees-grow-tropical-locations-5720322.html

and i found some seeds on ebay for Arbequina so i'm going to give them a try

i also have a tree growing in my garden right now that i brought from Italy (don't know the variety) and its growing really well but no fruit yet.

i may try propagate it by taking some cuttings through. if i can get the cutting to grows, i'll be happy to share them, just PM me if interested. i'd like to know how they do in different areas. i'm in phuket and i know they will probably not fruit here because it never gets cold, but up north, who knows?

post-6315-0-62818400-1367382739_thumb.jp

post-6315-0-34220800-1367383058_thumb.jp

post-6315-0-18013100-1367383176_thumb.jp

Edited by stevehaigh

I live in Chiang Mai, and I went to the local plant market to try to find olive trees, and they seem not to be available anywhere. If you do get the tree to grow, I would like to try to get it to grow in my garden as well.

I live in Chiang Mai, and I went to the local plant market to try to find olive trees, and they seem not to be available anywhere. If you do get the tree to grow, I would like to try to get it to grow in my garden as well.

sure, i just took a about 100 cuttings and put them in water

after about 1 month, i'll transfer to potting soil

i guess i'll know how many are going to make it in a couple of months so please p.m. me then. i don't make it up CM but can put in the post, probably only cost 100 baht or so

steve

• Like 1

sure, i just took a about 100 cuttings and put them in water

after about 1 month, i'll transfer to potting soil

i guess i'll know how many are going to make it in a couple of months so please p.m. me then. i don't make it up CM but can put in the post, probably only cost 100 baht or so

steve

Thanks Steve....let me know how they root and then we can arrange for shipping.

• 1 month later...

i thought olives can only be produced in mediterranean countries?

i think they might work in the mountains if it gets cool in the cold season. i don't think they need to freeze, just chill a bit

my cuttings don't look very impressive at the moment, i'm not sure if they are alive or dead, they need more time i guess

• 1 month later...

i took about 15 cuttings from my olive and they seem to be growing well. i'm happy to share them but don't think putting them in the post is a great idea.

anyhow, i'll be driving from phuket to phetchabun (north central) and then nong kai in mid october so if anyone wants an olive tree let me know and maybe you could catch up with me on my trip

• 2 months later...

California, USA has been growing good olives for a while(regarding non-mediterrannean growers). Anybody know about growing different varieties and the climates they thrive in? http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/ is just 1 farm. I wonder if growing olives in Thailand might be easier/better at higher elevations? Olives are grown in many regions in Italy and I believe the climate varies considerably. What do olives want??

• 4 months later...

I would like to try olive growing in Kalasin.

Sleeping outside over New Years I can confirm it was as cold as Tuscany.

If anyone has any updates on possibility of cuttings (I see the posts above are 6 months old) I would like to follow this up.

My girlfriend says there's a huge tree market held in Chachoengsao before Song Kran and believes ma gaawk trees can be brought there.

I will let you know.

Also on the hunt for FEIJOA and LOQUAT trees/seedlings

Any help much appreciated.

dry feet alkaline sandy rocky soil (whatever grapes like, they like) seasonal rain and they are super duper slow growers. my hous1e on kibbutz was built on a smaller area because of a olive tree. it is illegal to cut down or move the trees without a special liscense. most villagers both arab and jewish plant adult olive trees if they want to eat olives. if u want them for your son's son, then plant saplings.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...