Three Expats Found Dead In Phuket

webfact

I would think it is epidemic all over the world?

Are you suggesting that people die EVERYWHERE?

Some people...next thing you'll be telling me that we are all getting older every year.

One thing is for sure. "No one gets out alive"

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try and solve the issue with maths. Thailand had 22 million foreign visitors per year in 2012, who stayed 9.19 days on average. A human life is 29,200 days long, 80 years, 9.19 days are 0.0315% of this figure. 0.0315% of 22 million people is 6,924. There is the number of moribund foreigners in Thailand in 2012. 19 per day. coffee1.gif

Not bad but your numbers are skewed, most deaths are from older people but many foreigner deaths are much earlier.

So how many 20 somethings die on average in America or the EU. How many of the 22 million tourists are between 20-30, then what percentage of them die. Repeat for 30 somethings, 40 somethings....

I would like to make a hypothesis this would lead to a much higher death count in Thailand than in most western countries.

I know my count is imprecise. There are no 19 reports of deaths of foreigners every day, what means the average age of the holiday maker must be way lower than the average age of the world's population, a different age pyramid. If I had it, I could calculate more accurate.

Edited by Potosi

Something wrong with the report about the Frenchman as door frames are usually encased in the concrete wall & also generally not high enough to hang oneself.

Could easily have been one of those doorways with a window type frame over and high doors.

Hotel California: "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

Hotel Thailand: "You can check out anytime you like, but don't expect a professional investigation of your demise."

• Like 1

Or you could read the follow post by webfact: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-foreigners-found-dead-in-saiyuan-rd-phuket-39087.php And you could also do a Google search for Phuketwan and read the original article that was quoted in the OP.

I'm in a hurry so maybe I missed it - what in that article contradicts the Times of Malta and their claim that the authorities said it was not suspicious (a premature conclusion what might think)?

In a hurry to post? Yet too busy to read what you're posting about... The articles aren't very long! But here you go:

The first was a young Frenchman, named by police as Dieu Yoann, 26, who was found hanged in a rented house in Saiyuan Rd, Rawai, at 5.30pm yesterday evening.

His body was discovered by the owner of the house after she smelled something bad coming from within and went to check. Looking through a window she saw the corpse hanging from a door frame by a length of telephone cable.

Called to the scene, police estimated that Mr Yoann had been dead for about 10 days.

The owner of house told police that Mr Yoann had rented the house for a year. He had no job, instead living off family money.

The body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. Police said they would carry out an investigation to try to establish exactly how and why he died.

Ms Petillo, believed to be a freelance writer, editor and playwright from Brooklyn, is thought to have died not more than 12 hours before she was found, after having stayed just one day in the guesthouse. The cause of her death is being investigated.

Edited by Jimi007

If I am reading correct it as only been stated the times the body’s where found and an approximate amount of time they “think’ they have been dead for. So it is possible still that maybe ‘he’ could of killed ‘her’ and then gone back to his home and taken his own life. But this is all speculation, and waiting to see what comes from the autopsies and the investigation by Thailand’s answer to Clouseau and Kato, But in my “opinion” due to the close proximity to the two deaths and one unknown cause and the other looking like a suicide, it certainly looks as though they could be experience) they all have my condolences. R.I.P connected. No matter what! It is so sad that two young lives are forever gone and the pain the families will now and for a very long time have to go through (from

• Like 1

Soory it should say (could be connected)

How?

1. French man was dead for approximately 10 days. Hanged.

2. American woman dead for 12 hours. No apparent reason.

3. Different houses.

Edited by Jimi007

Let's try and solve the issue with maths. Thailand had 22 million foreign visitors per year in 2012, who stayed 9.19 days on average. A human life is 29,200 days long, 80 years, 9.19 days are 0.0315% of this figure. 0.0315% of 22 million people is 6,924. There is the number of moribund foreigners in Thailand in 2012. 19 per day. coffee1.gif

Meaningless numbers unless you can provide the ratio of deaths by natural causes and deaths by misadventure.

A statistical analysis of the percentage of deaths by misadventure in Phuket against deaths in the remainder of Thailand would be VERY interesting.

If those statistics are meaningless then why don't you post some meaningful numbers?

24 year old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway...not suspicious say police !!!!!!

>24 year old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway...not suspicious say police !!!!!!

If his hands were tied it would be suspicious. If they weren't it would almost definitely be suicide.

I know the police here are jokers but they're not completely stupid.

Well i think that police have found suiciders in Pattaya with both hands and feet tied. cheesy.gif

In a hurry to post? Yet too busy to read what you're posting about... The articles aren't very long! But here you go:

The first was a young Frenchman, named by police as Dieu Yoann, 26, who was found hanged in a rented house in Saiyuan Rd, Rawai, at 5.30pm yesterday evening.

His body was discovered by the owner of the house after she smelled something bad coming from within and went to check. Looking through a window she saw the corpse hanging from a door frame by a length of telephone cable.

Called to the scene, police estimated that Mr Yoann had been dead for about 10 days.

The owner of house told police that Mr Yoann had rented the house for a year. He had no job, instead living off family money.

The body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. Police said they would carry out an investigation to try to establish exactly how and why he died.

Ms Petillo, believed to be a freelance writer, editor and playwright from Brooklyn, is thought to have died not more than 12 hours before she was found, after having stayed just one day in the guesthouse. The cause of her death is being investigated.

In a hurry to read the article which that link you so kindly pointed out to me showed - as I was being called to drive the family to the supermarket - so I may have missed something; what's your issue with that?

I read the article and now I have read it again in the form of your C&P and my question remains: how does that article contradict the assertion of the Times of Malta that the authorities said it was not suspicious?

24 year old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway...not suspicious say police !!!!!!

That is not what police said, but what Times of Malta said. Maybe time to read the original report?

"Although not suspicious, their deaths still have to be explained, authorities said."

The Malta also said three expats found dead.

It did not say the police said it. So with your logic we should just disregard the whole article.

You might have a point there it is a well known fact that newspapers put articles in them that are not always right but do sell news papers. I choose to believe that three expats were found dead. The rest of the article well they might have dressed it up.

Ms. Petillo has several articles posted on the WWW. Her death is a great tragedy, and this may turn into a much bigger story. R.I.P. indeed. It seems much too soon to speculate about causes.

• Like 1

In a hurry to read the article which that link you so kindly pointed out to me showed - as I was being called to drive the family to the supermarket - so I may have missed something; what's your issue with that?

I read the article and now I have read it again in the form of your C&P and my question remains: how does that article contradict the assertion of the Times of Malta that the authorities said it was not suspicious?

LOL! Sorry. Yes we do have lives outside of TV! At least they are investigating. If I had written the article I would have said: authorities don't suspect foul play. A 29 year old woman dying 12 hours after she checked in to a guest house is a bit of a suspicious and should be investigated, IMO as well as the police according to this article.

Edited by Jimi007

LOL! Sorry. Yes we do have lives outside of TV! At least they are investigating. If I had written the article I would have said: authorities don't suspect foul play. A 29 year old woman dying 12 hours after she checked in to a guest house is a bit of a suspicious and should be investigated, IMO as well as the police according to this article.

S'okay!

The Times of Malta also said the authorities acknowledged that the deaths needed to be investigated (how did I wind up seeming to be defending the freakin' Times of Malta?!) and again, my point was always that the author apparently didn't say it wasn't suspicious but rather he reported (accurately or not) that that was what the authorities said.

Not sure how that differs in meaning from "authorities don't suspect foul play" but your phrase seems appropriate as well.

Of course it should be investigated. That seems an obvious and indisputable fact to me and I certainly never in any way suggested or implied otherwise.

When a Chap is found hanging in a doorway, it is usually caused by a failed unsuccessful attempt at suicide, frequently brought on by stress.

Not entirely true.. A certain farang going by the name of Michael Hutchins was found hanging in his hotel room - granted not in Thailand - caused by a failed attempt at auto-erotic asphyxiation...

isn't that how David Carradine died in Bangkok

as to suicides, there aren't any in Thailand

all death certificates state

heart stopped

Got to protect the tourist$$$

Edited by phuketrichard

a 24-year-old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway at a house in Moo 7, Saiyuan, Rawai, two hours earlier and a 29-year-old American woman found in a guesthouse in Rawai, southern Phuket, three hours later, This is not suspicious ?

There are about 4 days between their times of deaths. So he did not kill her.

Any more CSI?

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick holder.

(Please tell me what is unhelpful or off topic about this post that

justifies it's removal)

Remember Goldie Hawn doing this to her husband at the start of 'Private Benjamin'!!..sh***ed him to death!!!

Don't think this poor chaps spouse/ girlfriend will be running off to join the army, though, once she gets any bahts he happens to have left behind!!

wai.gif

a 24-year-old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway at a house in Moo 7, Saiyuan, Rawai, two hours earlier and a 29-year-old American woman found in a guesthouse in Rawai, southern Phuket, three hours later, This is not suspicious ?

There are about 4 days between their times of deaths. So he did not kill her.

Any more CSI?

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick holder.

(Please tell me what is unhelpful or off topic about this post that

justifies it's removal)

Just curious what you thought was helpful or on topic? Yes most of have played the game Clue when we were kids. But...

very unusual for people to die, doesn't happen in my country. we're above all of that

I won't believe that until you tell me how every door frame in your country is constructed (I've recently learned that this is the key to everything...)

Remember Goldie Hawn doing this to her husband at the start of 'Private Benjamin'!!..sh***ed him to death!!!

Don't think this poor chaps spouse/ girlfriend will be running off to join the army, though, once she gets any bahts he happens to have left behind!!

wai.gif

Pretty sure repeating it over and over doesn't make it any funnier....

People die, its the circle of life.

The "circle of life" seems to revolve faster for some on Phuket.

RIP.

22,000 children die every day in the world from hunger

Don't worry, once Bill and Melinda Gates have finished, that figure will be far higher.

Re; the woman, 29: Thai authorities, if true to form, will do all they can to hush it up and hope it blows over.

However, there are some glaring drawbacks to doing that: If it was foul play, let's say murder or drugs or toxic chemicals, (assuming Thai investigators can scientifically assess that, and that's a big assumption) then it's doubtful the public will hear about it. Then it could be just a matter of time until it happens again. That's just one, of several reasons why good investigations are important, and why the results should be made public knowledge. The public deserves to know what sorts of possible dangers are lurking in Phuket region or wherever.

Of course not !

People commit suicides all the time, and "not suspicious" is the term used in police forces

in most countries.