Three Expats Found Dead In Phuket

webfact

Let's try and solve the issue with maths. Thailand had 22 million foreign visitors per year in 2012, who stayed 9.19 days on average. A human life is 29,200 days long, 80 years, 9.19 days are 0.0315% of this figure. 0.0315% of 22 million people is 6,924. There is the number of moribund foreigners in Thailand in 2012. 19 per day. coffee1.gif

Not bad but your numbers are skewed, most deaths are from older people but many foreigner deaths are much earlier.

So how many 20 somethings die on average in America or the EU. How many of the 22 million tourists are between 20-30, then what percentage of them die. Repeat for 30 somethings, 40 somethings....

I would like to make a hypothesis this would lead to a much higher death count in Thailand than in most western countries.

I know my count is imprecise. There are no 19 reports of deaths of foreigners every day, what means the average age of the holiday maker must be way lower than the average age of the world's population, a different age pyramid. If I had it, I could calculate more accurate.

Expat deaths in Thailand

Every one is a tragedy.

People dying a long way from home.

By no means definitive; from researching various govt websites this website estimates about 20-25% of expat deaths are reported in media.

Strange website if you ask me...and not always balcony murders...not for fragile souls !!!

Additional info/pictures of the 3 cases are included.

http://farangdeath.tumblr.com/

Edited by Thorgal

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two ways to look at this,

1. Michael Hutchince (INXS) found hanging from a doorway with a carrot/cucumber/massive dildo in his arse. Perhaps this was the same sort of high others like us are oblivious to????

2. I have always been told by expats that live in Rawai that it is the murder capital of Phuket. Before you all jump on your high horses, this is what I am told from expats that live here.

Either way, my view is why a young man would fly hrs on end to commit self harm? Would it not be easier to do this in the comfort of one's home?

My condolences to every family left behind. Yet again more negative international press to Thailand.

Well, well. I guess the editors of this online magazine discovered that Death sells well (and makes for a good laugh...) On the whole I don´t see more people dying, or of more suspicious reasons, than elsewhere in the world. What with all the hundreds of thousands of Tourists, quite a few drug addicts and alcoholics among them. Wealth and poverty, burglaries that turn out bad... of course there will be deaths.

When a Chap is found hanging in a doorway, it is usually caused by a failed unsuccessful attempt at suicide, frequently brought on by stress.

Not entirely true.. A certain farang going by the name of Michael Hutchins was found hanging in his hotel room - granted not in Thailand - caused by a failed attempt at auto-erotic asphyxiation...

Ahh, so this is what happened in Rawai. CASE CLOSED

• Like 1

When a Chap is found hanging in a doorway, it is usually caused by a failed unsuccessful attempt at suicide, frequently brought on by stress.

Not entirely true.. A certain farang going by the name of Michael Hutchins was found hanging in his hotel room - granted not in Thailand - caused by a failed attempt at auto-erotic asphyxiation...

Ahh, so this is what happened in Rawai. CASE CLOSED

Whether this is the name of what I was proscribing earlier or not I couldn't tell you. All I know is it involved some rope, cucumber/baseball bat, room, dynamite coke, good piss and a beautiful B list blond (no not Kylie). Hey to me it surely beats getting taken out at a T-section in Thailand?

• Like 1

"The owner of house told police that Mr Yoann had rented this house for a year. He had no job, instead living on family money and spending his time “hanging out”."

And this turn of phrase wasn't deliberate?

Why are people constantly shocked by stuff that happens in Phuket and Pattaya? Hardly your typical suburban locales with regular Mums and Dads going about their business.

a 24-year-old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway at a house in Moo 7, Saiyuan, Rawai, two hours earlier and a 29-year-old American woman found in a guesthouse in Rawai, southern Phuket, three hours later, This is not suspicious ?

There are about 4 days between their times of deaths. So he did not kill her.

Any more CSI?

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick holder.

(Please tell me what is unhelpful or off topic about this post that

justifies it's removal)

Just curious what you thought was helpful or on topic? Yes most of have played the game Clue when we were kids. But...

Like many other posts on this forum and specifically about this topic it adds to the banter and good humor of the forum. In any case it is up to the moderator to explain what was unhelpful or off topic about it if it is to be removed. That was the question and I asked it in a reasonable and polite way. Please try to stay on track if you're going to reply. Thanks.

a 24-year-old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway at a house in Moo 7, Saiyuan, Rawai, two hours earlier and a 29-year-old American woman found in a guesthouse in Rawai, southern Phuket, three hours later, This is not suspicious ?

There are about 4 days between their times of deaths. So he did not kill her.

Any more CSI?

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick holder.

(Please tell me what is unhelpful or off topic about this post that

justifies it's removal)

Maybe the fact that you're the second one coming to the same conclusion?

• Like 1

Two ways to look at this,

1. Michael Hutchince (INXS) found hanging from a doorway with a carrot/cucumber/massive dildo in his arse. Perhaps this was the same sort of high others like us are oblivious to????

2. I have always been told by expats that live in Rawai that it is the murder capital of Phuket. Before you all jump on your high horses, this is what I am told from expats that live here.

Either way, my view is why a young man would fly hrs on end to commit self harm? Would it not be easier to do this in the comfort of one's home?

My condolences to every family left behind. Yet again more negative international press to Thailand.

Phuket town has far more murders than Rawaii

No, the authorities did not say it was not suspicious, only the Maltese paper came to that conclusion.

The "Times of Malta" (not the Maltese Times) said,

"He was one of three expats found dead overnight. Although not suspicious, their deaths still have to be explained, authorities said."

As far as I can tell, they are reporting (accurately or not) that the authorities said rather than reporting their own conclusions. I can only go by the OP and according to that, the writer is only reporting what he was told - which was my point. If there is evidence that he was NOT told that, then obviously he is to blame for more than just his conclusion.

So if you go by the OP, read the paper the OP is refering to, Phuket Wan, where the 'not suspicious' reference is only made to the older Maltese guy's death.

So if you go by the OP, read the paper the OP is refering to, Phuket Wan, where the 'not suspicious' reference is only made to the older Maltese guy's death.

The OP qoutes the Malta Times. The OP links The Malta Times. The Malta Times did NOT say it was only a reference to the older Maltese guy's death.

"A 70-year-old Maltese man was found dead in a Phuket guest house last night.

The Phuket Wan Tourism News said this morning that the man, a heavy smoker and an asthmatic, was found by his girlfriend naked on a bed at the Maximum Guesthouse in Nanai Road, Patong.

He was one of three expats found dead overnight. Although not suspicious, their deaths still have to be explained, authorities said."

The Phuket Wan - which is mentioned in the OP but not linked or quoted says,

"Three expats have been found dead overnight on Phuket with the causes not suspicious but yet to be explained."

Nowhere that I have seen is it reported as you describe. What exactly is your issue?

It seems that Phuket is to foreigners what Varanasi (India) is to Hindus; they go there to die!!

Paangjang (post # 126), not all that important, but it was Michael Hutchence, then lead singer of INXS.

I think if I was about to embark on an act of auto eroticism I would want a medical team standing by to resuscitate me if it turned to $hit!! Maybe I should have used the nurse?

Edited by F4UCorsair

Lets see you could be 90 years old have terminal cancer, suffer a heart attack and die it would be considered as suspicious in certain circles. I often wonder were the suspicious here this suspicious before they left their home country.

• Like 1

24 year old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway...not suspicious say police !!!!!!

That is not what police said, but what Times of Malta said. Maybe time to read the original report?
Maybe time for both of you to read the OP. The comment was in regards to the older asthmatic dying, not the young people.
I think it is you who should go back and read again. The article says "their deaths". i.e. plural deaths not singular as you seem to incorrectly think.
  • Like 1

I was curious about the 29 year old American so I googled her name (Faetra Petillo) and found her Facebook page. From there I found her uncle commenting on one of her profile photos, clicked on his profile and his posts are set to public so I saw him post about her. From his word choice it appears they think it was suicide. He said she "decided to leave the world today." So sad.

It appears also her family is raising money to get her body back and for all the arrangements as he posted a link to an online fundraiser page for Faetra.

I know too many are conspiracy theorists here but still I just hope there are no questions that she did taker her own life and they are not just believing a line given to them.

In any case, so sad to see young people go far before their time...

Edited by Jimjim

The OP qoutes the Malta Times. The OP links The Malta Times. The Malta Times did NOT say it was only a reference to the older Maltese guy's death.

"A 70-year-old Maltese man was found dead in a Phuket guest house last night.

The Phuket Wan Tourism News said this morning that the man, a heavy smoker and an asthmatic, was found by his girlfriend naked on a bed at the Maximum Guesthouse in Nanai Road, Patong.

He was one of three expats found dead overnight. Although not suspicious, their deaths still have to be explained, authorities said."

The Phuket Wan - which is mentioned in the OP but not linked or quoted says,

"Three expats have been found dead overnight on Phuket with the causes not suspicious but yet to be explained."

Nowhere that I have seen is it reported as you describe. What exactly is your issue?

True, that is PW's first sentence. But if you look further in the article you will see it states that the death of the Maltese guy is deemed not suspicious, but the other 2 are being investigated.

24 year old Frenchman found hanging from a doorway...not suspicious say police !!!!!!

That is not what police said, but what Times of Malta said. Maybe time to read the original report?
Maybe time for both of you to read the OP. The comment was in regards to the older asthmatic dying, not the young people.
I think it is you who should go back and read again. The article says "their deaths". i.e. plural deaths not singular as you seem to incorrectly think.

I give up with you lot.

True, that is PW's first sentence. But if you look further in the article you will see it states that the death of the Maltese guy is deemed not suspicious, but the other 2 are being investigated.

Jeez...it refers to all of them being not suspicious and never contradicts that. Moreover, it doesn't say what you have just posted.

Why does this issue matter to you so much?

I was not wrong. You were. Big deal. Get over it.

Jeez...it refers to all of them being not suspicious and never contradicts that. Moreover, it doesn't say what you have just posted.

Why does this issue matter to you so much?

I was not wrong. You were. Big deal. Get over it.

The issue doesn't matter at all to me, your reactions though do. Why does it matter so much to you?

The issue doesn't matter at all to me, your reactions though do. Why does it matter so much to you?

One more tit for your tat (I thought you gave up? I didn't even bother checking back til now...)

My reactions matter to you? How very odd.

It doesn't matter so much to me but if someone keeps telling me - somewhat condescendingly - I've got something wrong, when in fact it is verifiable that I have not, and repeatedly asserts something in contradiction of the facts in his effort to avoid admitting that I wasn't wrong...I'm inclined to reply. After all, it amuses me and that's what I'm here for. Having said that, there's not much sport in it anymore - once the other guy resorts to that playground standard, "Am not, you are!" it sinks too low for even me...

Edited by SteeleJoe

"One, two, Freddy's coming for you.
Three, four, better lock your door.
Five, six, grab your crucifix.
Seven, eight, gonna stay up late.
Nine, ten, never sleep again.
One, two Freddy's coming for you
three, four better lock your door
five, six grab your crucifix
seven, eight gonna stay up late
nine, ten he's back again."

• Like 1

People die, its the circle of life.

People die, its the circle of life.

What! at 24 years and 29 years of age respectively. There have been many high expat body count anomilies in Phuket down the years. Phuket is a dangerous place to holiday or live.