Whats The Advantage Of Owning A Dog In Thailand?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the opposite school. I love dogs and have 3 back home with the GF, but would hesitate to buy one in Thailand because of all the soi dogs. Living in an apartment, we are schnauzer people and I don't think a schnauzer would last very long walking with me in my neighborhood. Those soi dogs seem to attack everything, including one that would have castrated me had I not been wearing my fanny pack backwards. Not sure I could defend my small dogs if a bunch of them came at us at once.

But they are excellent alarm systems, barking at everyone that they don't think belongs in our home. True, if a burglar is intent on robbing us, they can. But they'd be more likely to go to the neighbor's door if there are barking dogs on the other side of ours.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

owning a dog is not only popular in Thailand for many reasons one of them is company especially for older people who live alone.I n Germany there are a few milions.I suppose you have no dogs.I have four they guard our house.

No I do not have a dog, but I was considering owning a mini dachshund or basset hound, however not convenient at the time being.

owning a dog is not only popular in Thailand.In Germany they number a few millions well fed and looked after.An important economic factor.Some old people who live alone keep them for company.I have 3 they guard our house.I suppose you never had a dog.Otherwise you would not ask.

owning a dog is not only popular in Thailand.In Germany they number a few millions well fed and looked after.An important economic factor.Some old people who live alone keep them for company.I have 3 they guard our house.I suppose you never had a dog.Otherwise you would not ask.

Correct, I have never owned one and I am still deciding whether or not. But I have read both positive and negative comments. Some people saying dogs are wonderful others saying they are tired of dogs and will never own one again.

Correct, I have never owned one and I am still deciding whether or not. But I have read both positive and negative comments. Some people saying dogs are wonderful others saying they are tired of dogs and will never own one again.

One of the big disadvantages of dogs is that you always need to find someone to take care of them.. you loose a bit of freedom when you own one. You cant just pack up and leave.

• Like 1

Why makes dog owning so popular here?

It keeps the fleas busy.

and if you have no money at least you have something to eat provided its not one of those little "rat dogs"...not much meat on them..

• Like 2

owning a dog is not only popular in Thailand for many reasons one of them is company especially for older people who live alone.I n Germany there are a few milions.I suppose you have no dogs.I have four they guard our house.

No I do not have a dog, but I was considering owning a mini dachshund or basset hound, however not convenient at the time being.

think b4 you buy a basset hound ( i had 2 in the u.k ) beautiful dogs , but take some looking after and they are,nt small dogs they,re big dogs with small legs they weigh a ton . ( and as stupid as a thai teenager , i,ve never met 1 with half a brain )

Many advantages in large dogs but I can't see any in those silly little toy dogs. I have 2 of the bas*****ds and they kept me awake last night with all their yapping. I am constantly falling over them.

My real dog gets hassled by them all the time too.

reminds me of that story. sorry for my poor english,

If you ever hesitate who loves you the most. Your wife or your dog.

Just throw them both in you luggage department back of your car.

Wait 3 hours, than return to your car, and opened up the door

and THAN you can see who seems to be happiest.....

Glegolo

• Like 2

I got mine for security. My house is the only one down a long lane, none others in seeing or hearing distance, and I was having problems with a mentally disturbed man from a nearby village.

Since getting a dog, never a problem again. If anyone so much as pauses at the top of the lane, I already know about it. He's just a Chihuahua but they make great watchdogs.

He also doubles as a doorbell, with the added advantage of providing early warning .

That was why I got him, but now that I have him -- my first dog ever -- there are lots of other benefits. Increases the amount and friendliness of interactions with locals -- everyone wants to stop and discuss the dog, you get friendly with other dog owners, and so forth.

Running what used to be mundane errands becomes an adventure. Taking out the garbage, for example, is now the "Exciting walk to the top of the road!"

And he's great company on long car rides.

And yet your avatar is a picture of a cat. Does the dog know about this?

• Like 1

If you live in the countryside or a village you need dogs,( & Chickens) to keep the biting & stinging wildlife away, What the Dog won t handle a Rooster will & vice versa, + free dinner with the chickens & their eggs, (Dogs as well if you like that sort of thing...) wai2.gif

A dog never talks nonsense, never cheats you that bad, never asks for money or hangs on the phone talking complete nonsense with friends for hours and is not addicted to it's family and also not turns it's back at you after slightest disagreement.

A dog is loyal, enthusiastic, it's love is true and she is happy when you arrive back home.

You still talk about the animal, right?

Most of my life I've had big dogs. Sheps, Huskies, Goldens, etc. About two years ago my wife was talking about wanting to get something smaller, so we bought a Shih Poo. Mother is Shih Tzu, father is Poodle. This one has the Poodle face. You need some patience to train one of these properly. Not becuase they are stupid, but because they are just plan stubborn! Actually, he's one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen in many respects.

At first I wasn't wild about getting something small like this, but now I wouldn't trade him for anything. Anyone, or anything, comes even close to our front fence, we know about it. Sometimes he will bark at something I'm not aware of. I look outside, not see anything, then tell him: "Hey, Stupid! Get in here!" and he happily trots back into the house and lays on the floor.

Before you buy, do some research on the various breeds to see what their "requirements" are, and talk to owners of different types to get their opinion.