Whats The Advantage Of Owning A Dog In Thailand?

Most of my life I've had big dogs. Sheps, Huskies, Goldens, etc. About two years ago my wife was talking about wanting to get something smaller, so we bought a Shih Poo. Mother is Shih Tzu, father is Poodle. This one has the Poodle face. You need some patience to train one of these properly. Not becuase they are stupid, but because they are just plan stubborn! Actually, he's one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen in many respects.

At first I wasn't wild about getting something small like this, but now I wouldn't trade him for anything. Anyone, or anything, comes even close to our front fence, we know about it. Sometimes he will bark at something I'm not aware of. I look outside, not see anything, then tell him: "Hey, Stupid! Get in here!" and he happily trots back into the house and lays on the floor.

Before you buy, do some research on the various breeds to see what their "requirements" are, and talk to owners of different types to get their opinion.

Its not a Shih Poo, its a Shpoodletongue.png or Shoodle

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my life I've had big dogs. Sheps, Huskies, Goldens, etc. About two years ago my wife was talking about wanting to get something smaller, so we bought a Shih Poo. Mother is Shih Tzu, father is Poodle. This one has the Poodle face. You need some patience to train one of these properly. Not becuase they are stupid, but because they are just plan stubborn! Actually, he's one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen in many respects.

At first I wasn't wild about getting something small like this, but now I wouldn't trade him for anything. Anyone, or anything, comes even close to our front fence, we know about it. Sometimes he will bark at something I'm not aware of. I look outside, not see anything, then tell him: "Hey, Stupid! Get in here!" and he happily trots back into the house and lays on the floor.

Before you buy, do some research on the various breeds to see what their "requirements" are, and talk to owners of different types to get their opinion.

You MIGHT want to do a little research before making yourself sound "as dumb as a dog" again whistling.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih-poo

The more appropriate 'shit-poo' name was no longer available?

• Like 2

You MIGHT want to do a little research before making yourself sound "as dumb as a dog" again whistling.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih-poo

Yes a very reliable source, let me log in to edit,it, so you rest easyblink.png

A dog never talks nonsense, never cheats you that bad, never asks for money or hangs on the phone talking complete nonsense with friends for hours and is not addicted to it's family and also not turns it's back at you after slightest disagreement.

A dog is loyal, enthusiastic, it's love is true and she is happy when you arrive back home.

Let's break it down this way:

1) Doesn't matter if you're gone 10 minutes, 10 hours, 10 weeks, 10 months, etc., a dog is always happy to see come home, and never asks where you've been.

2) A dog doesn't care if you come home with the smell of some other "bitch" on you.

3) A dog is ready to play any time you want.

4) A dog never talks back.

5) You can spank your dog for doing something wrong, and a minute later it's ready to snuggle up with you again.

6) A dog doesn't care about money. Only love and food.

7) A dog doesn't care about clothes or the latest "fashion".

8) A dog will listen to whatever you want to say, for as long as you want to say it, without interrupting you.

9) A dog give you love and loyality for life.

Why God, or Nature, didn't put all those qualities into women, I'll never understand. cheesy.gif

Probably just in fairness because he made us guys the bastards we are...

A dog never talks nonsense, never cheats you that bad, never asks for money or hangs on the phone talking complete nonsense with friends for hours and is not addicted to it's family and also not turns it's back at you after slightest disagreement.

A dog is loyal, enthusiastic, it's love is true and she is happy when you arrive back home.

+1

I got mine for security. My house is the only one down a long lane, none others in seeing or hearing distance, and I was having problems with a mentally disturbed man from a nearby village.

Since getting a dog, never a problem again. If anyone so much as pauses at the top of the lane, I already know about it. He's just a Chihuahua but they make great watchdogs.

He also doubles as a doorbell, with the added advantage of providing early warning .

That was why I got him, but now that I have him -- my first dog ever -- there are lots of other benefits. Increases the amount and friendliness of interactions with locals -- everyone wants to stop and discuss the dog, you get friendly with other dog owners, and so forth.

Running what used to be mundane errands becomes an adventure. Taking out the garbage, for example, is now the "Exciting walk to the top of the road!"

And he's great company on long car rides.

And yet your avatar is a picture of a cat. Does the dog know about this?

Oh yes. He knows the Cat is the Big Boss of the house. (She's certainly the boss of me...). That's the pecking order: first the cat, then me, then the dog. As God intended.

If you live in the countryside or a village you need dogs,( & Chickens) to keep the biting & stinging wildlife away, What the Dog won t handle a Rooster will & vice versa, + free dinner with the chickens & their eggs, (Dogs as well if you like that sort of thing...) wai2.gif

Now this is important news. What exactly do Roosters keep away? Are you saying they eat scorpions and the like?

If you live in the countryside or a village you need dogs,( & Chickens) to keep the biting & stinging wildlife away, What the Dog won t handle a Rooster will & vice versa, + free dinner with the chickens & their eggs, (Dogs as well if you like that sort of thing...) wai2.gif

Now this is important news. What exactly do Roosters keep away? Are you saying they eat scorpions and the like?

Not sure about chickens, but Guinea Fowl eat bugs and particularly like ticks, great if you have a doggie who picks up the beasties at the drop of a hat. Guineas are also great intruder alarms, they make loads of noise which alerts the geese (or your dog).

And they lay eggs, very nice eggs :P

2 house next to each other. 1 with dogs 1 without. which one would you try to rob?

The one were the owner doesnt have a gun....wink.png

That's if no-one is already busy killing his or her siblings in the house with the gun at that time, of course... bah.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22386105

Back on topic now. Where I live in Thailand, a dog is not just only a great asset against burglars, but as already mentioned by CharlieH, it is brilliant at detecting snakes, scorpions, etc. And as others already said, dogs are also marvelous companions, but, of course, they need to be taken care of properly and it's not always easy to find someone who can do that when you are away.

• Like 1

today did not like my lunch at all, but not wasted as all my 6 dogs love and eat anything I give them..

Very good food tasters, if your not sure if something is on the turn, give a bit to the dog, if off they do not eat...

bit of a problem this time of the year, they do cuddle up, always sleep on me, makes it even hotter

only down side need so much grooming, long hair Shih Tzu, must make a start shower time, try to do 2 today, near on 2 hours each

• Like 1

You're not the smelliest one in the house.

Sadly, not true for many of us...

In fact it is indeed very true for most Westerners, as it is a known fact that they have more apocrine sweat glands, and Thais very little or none at all.

I am one of those people in the minority who thinks that dogs are working animals and shouldn't be kept solely as pets. If you want a companion and someone to pet, a cat is a better choice and much easier to care for.

Most dogs are specifically bred for a purpose and if they don't get to do what they're bred for, they get sad or agressive. I would only get a dog if living in the countryside with plenty of air and room to roam around.

Also, contrary to belief, most dogs even german shepherds are not good guard dogs. They will most likely run and hide if an intruder comes along. There is a huge difference in their bravery when they're alone or with their family. To get a working guard dog, you need to train it intensively and then it won't be a good family dog.

Personally, the short lifespan of dogs also put me off. I can't imagine having a dog for only 8 years or so and growing attached to it, only to see it die, maybe with your kids along. In contrast, my parents cat is now going on 20 years and probably has a couple of years more in it.

I am one of those people in the minority who thinks that dogs are working animals and shouldn't be kept solely as pets. If you want a companion and someone to pet, a cat is a better choice and much easier to care for.

Most dogs are specifically bred for a purpose and if they don't get to do what they're bred for, they get sad or agressive. I would only get a dog if living in the countryside with plenty of air and room to roam around.

Also, contrary to belief, most dogs even german shepherds are not good guard dogs. They will most likely run and hide if an intruder comes along. There is a huge difference in their bravery when they're alone or with their family. To get a working guard dog, you need to train it intensively and then it won't be a good family dog.

Personally, the short lifespan of dogs also put me off. I can't imagine having a dog for only 8 years or so and growing attached to it, only to see it die, maybe with your kids along. In contrast, my parents cat is now going on 20 years and probably has a couple of years more in it.

Great Danes are bred to look great, so you can always get a dog who is bred just to look great.

Dog does not need to be GREAT guard dog, dog just needs to be there, and most with brain would not want to test how GREAT

that dog is at being a guard dog.

Edited by lemoncake

I was the same re the big dogs. then my , now ex, decided to get a dog. Jack Russell. best dog ever.

• Like 1

I got mine for security. My house is the only one down a long lane, none others in seeing or hearing distance, and I was having problems with a mentally disturbed man from a nearby village.

Since getting a dog, never a problem again. If anyone so much as pauses at the top of the lane, I already know about it. He's just a Chihuahua but they make great watchdogs.

He also doubles as a doorbell, with the added advantage of providing early warning .

That was why I got him, but now that I have him -- my first dog ever -- there are lots of other benefits. Increases the amount and friendliness of interactions with locals -- everyone wants to stop and discuss the dog, you get friendly with other dog owners, and so forth.

Running what used to be mundane errands becomes an adventure. Taking out the garbage, for example, is now the "Exciting walk to the top of the road!"

And he's great company on long car rides.

And yet your avatar is a picture of a cat. Does the dog know about this?

Oh yes. He knows the Cat is the Big Boss of the house. (She's certainly the boss of me...). That's the pecking order: first the cat, then me, then the dog. As God intended.

as they say...dogs have masters... cats have Staff

• Like 1

I wasn't a dog owner in my home country but my girlfriend wanted one here so I figured I would give it a shot. It was a low risk move because she comes from a family of animal lovers and she already worked it out with her mom that if I decided I didn't want the dog for any reason she could send it home.

At first I was being greedy about it by thinking the dog would keep her company (occupied) while I was out doing other things. To my surprise it's the other way around.

I do have to say it took a little getting used to at first because we had to train her and get used to having her around but it's been a pleasurable experience overall.

• Like 1