Phuket Foreigners. Who Needs Them?

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Thailand will stand in 2015, with the establishment of the open-border Asean Economic Community, remains to be seen.

It'll never happen.

Well, maybe by 2020 if you're lucky.

• Like 1

Nice article. ...To be translated into Thai and published in a Thai newspaper, as many articles 'made by and for foreigners should be read by the locals !

Locals read newspapers? since when?

Either you don't actually live here, or you don't get out and about too much......i've observed many Thais [from security guards and taxi drivers through to management people ] reading the daily newspapers regularly..coffee1.gif

You right, i do not live hererolleyes.gif

What?? "Certain foreigners want to see Russian dancers"??!! In Thailand??!! There are hundreds of clubs in Moscow where those certain foreigners can oggle Russian flesh 24/7. But they should not be coming to THAILAND with that expectation. What next? Chinese dancers? Korean dancers? Indian? Polish? Ugandan? What Thailand needs is rich tourists from those countries, not the "camp followers" from the bowels of those societies.

• Like 1

Don't see why TV made this an EDITOR'S PICK (Must Read) in the newsletter email, because it has nothing new then what has been said already so many times in so many topics.

Edited by ronthai

I went on a reef clean up today. More than 100 Thais and from the 14 Dive centers in Ao Nang owned by foreigners there was zero participation as usual.

My friend, a tourist on holiday for 3 weeks, and me where the only farangs who participated in this clean up session.

If you do not want to immigrate in a country, complain whole day about the lack of experience, how lazy the Thais are etc etc can you expect the Thais will treat you will all the respect and regards because you bring in

a pension or take their jobs illegally?

If you go on holiday and want to speak your language, eat the same food your mother cooked, have the same standards as your house hold what the f... you call a holiday?

Before you immigrate in another country you can find lots and lots of information about the country, the rules, the scams etc etc.

If you stupid enough to think you are better than the Thais and want to live here and/ or work illegal well for me the Thais are much more educated than you.

In the last 2 weeks I've met 2 persons loosing the land and houses they build all in name of a Thai girl friend. Both men are warned several times by many people

to not put all in girls name. But they did not want to listing. Now complaints and bashing the Thais.

Inform yourself before you move to another country, get known with their rules and regulations. If they suit you life by it.

Stop complaining and bashing if you just followed your d... who had a good time during your holiday and give you the feeling you can live and/or work in another country.

Possibly they were scared of losing their work permits for doing something outside their jobs. I do not think cleaning the environment is mentioned on their work permits.

• Like 2

Nice article. ...To be translated into Thai and published in a Thai newspaper, as many articles 'made by and for foreigners should be read by the locals !

Locals read newspapers? since when?

Either you don't actually live here, or you don't get out and about too much......i've observed many Thais [from security guards and taxi drivers through to management people ] reading the daily newspapers regularly..coffee1.gif

I once read 'War and Peace'. It's about Russia.whistling.gif

• Like 1

If you go on holiday and want to speak your language, eat the same food your mother cooked, have the same standards as your house hold what the f... you call a holiday?

Under this logic, then no one would travel to countries other than those which speak their home language. Why shouldn't a Russian, Brazilian, Saudi, Italian, etc. not want to come on a holiday to the beaches of Phuket if they don't speak Thai or one of the languages that can be readily found in the Thai tourist industry?

Like it or not, if an area relies on tourism, and if they want to keep their customers happy, then they need people who speak their language. If Russians are coming, then there needs to be Russian-speaking guides to assist them. If Thais dont speak Russian, in this case, then they need to bring in Russian speakers to service those tourists.

I look to the tourist places in Europe and the USA where you can get guides who speak most of the languages that incoming tourists speak as an example.

These imported guides should apply for their work permit, of course, and be legal and above ground.

Really? You can't be serious or have traveled very extensively. The only language of international travel is English. Russian speaking tour guides readily available in the US? LOL.

If you travel, you learn English.

Sounds to me like an article written by someone who wants to get a job in a restricted occupation, or the owner of the club referred to moaning...3 paragraphs about topless dancers and a threat that the arrested ones will be replaced by others by the weekend. "Russian" entertainers, absolutely vital to the Thai economy.

Regarding the reception the grandparents of the Chinese-Thais received here generations ago, that's irrelevant to todays Thailand.

And the reference to working foreigners not being a drain on the Thai welfare system is nonsense, How are foreigners ever going to be a drain on Thai welfare resources, working or not?

Surely if foreigners choose to go to a country for a holiday where they know that they don't speak the local, or the international language, and that the locals don't speak their language, then their decision to visit that country should bear that disadvantage in mind? They should not expect to be able to import their 'mates' to look after them illegally.

And this sounds to me like some ignorant Thai person who would like to think that Thailand is middle of the world and everybody should speak Thai... Just to let you know most of the cities in the countries around the world where main income is generated from tourists got workers who can speak at least proper English if not some other languages... and if they can't they give job to foreigners.

I would like to see what Phuket would do if really all tourists who "choose to go to a country for a holiday where they know that they don't speak the local, or the international language, and that the locals don't speak their language, then their decision to visit that country should bear that disadvantage in mind" decided that they are not happy with this "disadvantage" and change their holiday destination...

Btw I'm not English and don't live in Phuket :)

I went on a reef clean up today. More than 100 Thais and from the 14 Dive centers in Ao Nang owned by foreigners there was zero participation as usual.

My friend, a tourist on holiday for 3 weeks, and me where the only farangs who participated in this clean up session.

Did you have a work permit to do this work?

If not, you and your tourist friend were breaking the law, liable to arrest a deportation, just as bad as the arrested Russians.

I'm guessing no other foreigners participated because they obey Thai law.

I think the word opportunities has been mentioned. The word opportunity is a word that your average Thai takes and drives so far into the ground that it loses all meaning and becomes useless to that Thai or any other Thai who comes along and sees its twisted, mutilated husk lying on the ground.

The gist I got out of this article is about opportunity, and that it is there in front of our faces every day, and what we do with it.

Nothing stops people from picking up a primer and learning to read. Nothing stops a person from listening to their teachers and learning. Nothing stops someone from getting off their ass and doing, instead of complaining about it or blaming someone else. Nothing stops a person from slowing down a bit, instead of speeding up and killing ones self and the 10 other passengers riding along. Nothing except a person who makes a choice.

Opportunity and choice people! That is what the article is about. It amazes me that so many foreigners do exist here with all the impediments placed constantly before them.

Maybe what the author is saying is that we have a better sense of making the right choices, instead of always going where there is least resistance and destroying everything in our path.