Phuket Foreigners. Who Needs Them?

webfact

Don't see why TV made this an EDITOR'S PICK (Must Read) in the newsletter email, because it has nothing new then what has been said already so many times in so many topics.

Because it gets us to click on the link, which brings us to the site, which adds to the traffic, which adds to the ad revenue.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially with the completely irrelevant Ebay links in which a cooky will be placed on your computer and any time after that when you order something through Ebay ThaiVisa gets commission...

Very bad user experience this new "addition"...

Don't see why TV made this an EDITOR'S PICK (Must Read) in the newsletter email, because it has nothing new then what has been said already so many times in so many topics.

Because it gets us to click on the link, which brings us to the site, which adds to the traffic, which adds to the ad revenue.

Exactly..if anyone thinks this forum is just here for people to post thoughts and opinions on,you're way off track..this is a hugely successful money making site..End of story smile.png

Exactly..if anyone thinks this forum is just here for people to post thoughts and opinions on,you're way off track..this is a hugely successful money making site..End of story smile.png

Its a good read...

If they dont make money... no ThaiVisa.... simple!

As a Farang you are supposed to bring the money, in any way that's possible. Further there are no other interests in a farang, even he could teach a lot in any field to improve the quality of this country. I have to say that it is not everywhere like this, there are places in this country where things are really different. But Not in the tourist dependent places.

I am sorry if I offend somebody, it's an general thing.

I have heard tis whine on Thaivisa so many times that it has become laffable. Continur to think this way and you will miss out on the real Thailand

I went on a reef clean up today. More than 100 Thais and from the 14 Dive centers in Ao Nang owned by foreigners there was zero participation as usual.

My friend, a tourist on holiday for 3 weeks, and me where the only farangs who participated in this clean up session.

If you do not want to immigrate in a country, complain whole day about the lack of experience, how lazy the Thais are etc etc can you expect the Thais will treat you will all the respect and regards because you bring in

a pension or take their jobs illegally?

If you go on holiday and want to speak your language, eat the same food your mother cooked, have the same standards as your house hold what the f... you call a holiday?

Before you immigrate in another country you can find lots and lots of information about the country, the rules, the scams etc etc.

If you stupid enough to think you are better than the Thais and want to live here and/ or work illegal well for me the Thais are much more educated than you.

In the last 2 weeks I've met 2 persons loosing the land and houses they build all in name of a Thai girl friend. Both men are warned several times by many people

to not put all in girls name. But they did not want to listing. Now complaints and bashing the Thais.

Inform yourself before you move to another country, get known with their rules and regulations. If they suit you life by it.

Stop complaining and bashing if you just followed your d... who had a good time during your holiday and give you the feeling you can live and/or work in another country.

You understand that you were working illigally. The dive shops have a wp for teaching diving not for cleaning a reef. Before posting nonsense understand the rules.

• Like 2

In the last 2 weeks I've met 2 persons loosing the land and houses they build all in name of a Thai girl friend. Both men are warned several times by many people

to not put all in girls name. But they did not want to listing. Now complaints and bashing the Thais.

The thing is: they think with their little head, they are mighty stupid.giggle.gif

Edited by sonar6ca

Sounds to me like an article written by someone who wants to get a job in a restricted occupation, or the owner of the club referred to moaning...3 paragraphs about topless dancers and a threat that the arrested ones will be replaced by others by the weekend. "Russian" entertainers, absolutely vital to the Thai economy.

Regarding the reception the grandparents of the Chinese-Thais received here generations ago, that's irrelevant to todays Thailand.

And the reference to working foreigners not being a drain on the Thai welfare system is nonsense, How are foreigners ever going to be a drain on Thai welfare resources, working or not?

Surely if foreigners choose to go to a country for a holiday where they know that they don't speak the local, or the international language, and that the locals don't speak their language, then their decision to visit that country should bear that disadvantage in mind? They should not expect to be able to import their 'mates' to look after them illegally.

Harry, Your thinking is upside down - you have been in Thailand too long.

If a foreigner is working, he or she is likely supplying work for many Thais. Thais who could never handle the job.

I am retired, but a goodly number of Thais make a living off me - a tailor, a washing lady, a father in law, a mother in law, a couple of cousins - houses have been built and land purchased for family - the list is endless... If I was working, it would be in a job no Thai can perform - I was working in the 21st century, while here it is still the 17th or maybe 16th century.

Sounds to me like an article written by someone who wants to get a job in a restricted occupation, or the owner of the club referred to moaning...3 paragraphs about topless dancers and a threat that the arrested ones will be replaced by others by the weekend. "Russian" entertainers, absolutely vital to the Thai economy.

Regarding the reception the grandparents of the Chinese-Thais received here generations ago, that's irrelevant to todays Thailand.

And the reference to working foreigners not being a drain on the Thai welfare system is nonsense, How are foreigners ever going to be a drain on Thai welfare resources, working or not?

Surely if foreigners choose to go to a country for a holiday where they know that they don't speak the local, or the international language, and that the locals don't speak their language, then their decision to visit that country should bear that disadvantage in mind? They should not expect to be able to import their 'mates' to look after them illegally.

Harry, Your thinking is upside down - you have been in Thailand too long.

If a foreigner is working, he or she is likely supplying work for many Thais. Thais who could never handle the job.

I am retired, but a goodly number of Thais make a living off me - a tailor, a washing lady, a father in law, a mother in law, a couple of cousins - houses have been built and land purchased for family - the list is endless... If I was working, it would be in a job no Thai can perform - I was working in the 21st century, while here it is still the 17th or maybe 16th century.

Total crap

I thank god every day I no longer live in a country whose educational system churns out skill-less, mind-less cogs by the millions; cogs who will inevitably develop class consciousness and wonder why it isn't they who can be seen driving four-year old Ferraris (that cost three times as much as it should as a result of extortionate 'luxury' taxes) down Sukhumvit, ultimately resorting to blind ignorance and xenophobic aggression to return comfort to the injured, perpetually adolescent egos that so perfectly reflect the state of Thailand today.

• Like 1

They only get ad revenue IF people click on the ads. It's not based on ad impressions.

This is a funny topic, because if you go to England, I believe it's the Asian Indians and the Polish that they say are steeling their jobs.

In America it's the Mexicans.

In Sweden or Norway, I think I heard a similar complaint.

In Australia, I believe they have a problem with the Philippinos and the Asian Indians, I believe like America the black issue separate.

So for me it's funny, but I agree the laws need to be more relaxed and more stable.

Also one poster said that the world is becoming more global, " I couldn't agree with him more. I think that we should be able to move and work freely

where ever we want and in any country we want with out restrictions.. But our countries act like they own us, that to me is a problem, not just here but everywhere, I think we should focus on that

instead of just Thailand.

• Like 1

I went on a reef clean up today. More than 100 Thais and from the 14 Dive centers in Ao Nang owned by foreigners there was zero participation as usual.

My friend, a tourist on holiday for 3 weeks, and me where the only farangs who participated in this clean up session.

Did you have a work permit to do this work?

If not, you and your tourist friend were breaking the law, liable to arrest a deportation, just as bad as the arrested Russians.

I'm guessing no other foreigners participated because they obey Thai law.

I'm' hoping you are being facetious. I doubt the Labor dept would harass foreigners for picking up trash,. Maybe they don't participate as they are sick of picking up Thai's trash. I've never seen a foreigner throwing his lunch wrappings out the car window or dumping a week worth of household garbage in a field by the road. And I pick up plenty of garbage on my own around my neighborhood.

But it brings up a question of mine about forbidden occupations. The list is extensive and includes the sentence, " ..And all other services.." So it seems that really all occupations are forbidden, if we are going by the law here.

Is it just another rule to be used as a stick ?

I have a question. Are we talking about sex again? Yea kow if one wants to work here in Thailand "legally" there are wys to do this. You need a work permit. It is the same in the USA you need a green card to work "legally". A work permit is NOT difficult to get. I know I have worked here for 20 years with one. Yes it may be a pain in the arse, but it is what is required. Just remember you expats you are not living in YOUR country. THIS IS THIALAND, so you are a guest here act like one.

• Like 2

As a Farang you are supposed to bring the money, in any way that's possible. Further there are no other interests in a farang, even he could teach a lot in any field to improve the quality of this country. I have to say that it is not everywhere like this, there are places in this country where things are really different. But Not in the tourist dependent places.

I am sorry if I offend somebody, it's an general thing.

thats the truth.the people who live here since long time can fell that.

Thailand has a serious labour deficit and without the thousands of foreign workers that are employed to do jobs that Thai's won't do, the place would rapidly grind to a halt! Construction workers, maids (both commercial and private), teachers, medical care, and GO's in various industries (fishing, farming, etc.), waiters and waitresses in restaurants, etc.

Thai's are glad of these workers, whether they realise it or not - but as soon as a handful of foreigners move in to what they see a good wage-paying positions, then its the end of the world.

Tour operaters in a lot of instances use their own tour guides/chaperones on organiseed tours from overseas...this is a fact of life as tourists from certain countries prefer to have someone to accompany them all the way from start to finish on an organised holiday...They feel safe and of course if anything does go wrong the tour guide is there to help immediately.Older groups especially prefer this and locals can then be used for the day trip attractions...nothing wrong with this so some people should really come up for air now and then and take a reality pill...this is the 21st century now and this is how it is!

I have a question. Are we talking about sex again? Yea kow if one wants to work here in Thailand "legally" there are wys to do this. You need a work permit. It is the same in the USA you need a green card to work "legally". A work permit is NOT difficult to get. I know I have worked here for 20 years with one. Yes it may be a pain in the arse, but it is what is required. Just remember you expats you are not living in YOUR country. THIS IS THIALAND, so you are a guest here act like one.

perhaps u are a lucky one.

in usa you need agreen card ,in europe a work permit etc...ok.....but never ,never those countries tells you how much you need to get a mounth to get a work permit.

in thailand they do so.! you need as a foreigner 50 000 baths a mounth...it is ridiculous!...thai people working in a bank get about 20 000 baths/mounth if they are lucky and it is a good wadges here .the law is stupid for us.

where i live in issan zone..... having a business running,depending where you are it is simply imposible to get that money per mounth(normal thai people get about 6 to 10 000 bath/mounth here).i live since 5 years with my wife with about 18 000 bath/mounth....!i am not rich but we can live and pay our taxes.

but how can i apply for a work permit ?

how many foreigners are in the same situation?

why thre law is diferent if you are indian,chinese or burma?

why they make it so dificult with people married with thais?

the immigration department open the door and close it at the same time.

i immigrate and worked in many places always legally, but here, i would say that it is not a good country to immigrate or to invest.

its not worth it!

• Like 1

Thailand is going to be under siege as the wealth of the west goes to the east. People from all distinctions will flock here for many reasons and will call this place their home! The locals are going to do what ever is possible to stop the invasion and not just exploit it as is now happening. Having kids with Thai blood will help and having a Thai wife even more, but the more farangs that arrive, the tougher on the early arrivals it will be. Maybe a plastic surgeon specializing in making farangs look asian.?

Nice article. ...To be translated into Thai and published in a Thai newspaper, as many articles 'made by and for foreigners should be read by the locals !

Yes I agree with Rubber Duck...its no point listening to your echo. It needs to be addressed subjectively in a Thai Newspaper and with the Thai Ministry of Trade and Ministry of Tourism.

Thais do not treat their visitors well.... arrive at the airport and you get this cold defense..... Greet them the office at passport control and you get a stare and your passport back.

They might be good in smiling out of nervousness....but in service, they are miles from what it takes to initiate it. Hence, Foreigners are comfortable with people who speak their language, treat them as guests and are willing to pay for good service. Instead of having to hassle with people, Taxis or tuk tuk who cheat, Once I was in a shopping mall.... A Foreigner asks do you have this T-Shirt in my size....the Thai ladies replies in Thai....no we do not have elephant size!, Everyone around who understood did not reprimand the woman they simply looked the other way. If that happened in the UK or in Germany... the public would have responded to her and said "thats not nice or thats impolite or would have reported her to management" Does not exist in Thailand. Reporting is a farce!!!! whether it be to the police or to any authority..... A BIG FARCE - So in the light of this Foreigners will go where they are welcomed.... Thailand does not need foreigners.....they got their own sort to serve...without loosing face! Phuket will be history in the light of whats going to take place in Burma and cambodia.... Bye bye Thailand.

• Like 2

perhaps u are a lucky one.

in usa you need agreen card ,in europe a work permit etc...ok.....but never ,never those countries tells you how much you need to get a mounth to get a work permit.

in thailand they do so.! you need as a foreigner 50 000 baths a mounth...it is ridiculous!...thai people working in a bank get about 20 000 baths/mounth if they are lucky and it is a good wadges here .the law is stupid for us.

where i live in issan zone..... having a business running,depending where you are it is simply imposible to get that money per mounth(normal thai people get about 6 to 10 000 bath/mounth here).i live since 5 years with my wife with about 18 000 bath/mounth....!i am not rich but we can live and pay our taxes.

but how can i apply for a work permit ?

how many foreigners are in the same situation?

why thre law is diferent if you are indian,chinese or burma?

why they make it so dificult with people married with thais?

the immigration department open the door and close it at the same time.

i immigrate and worked in many places always legally, but here, i would say that it is not a good country to immigrate or to invest.

its not worth it!

The 50,000 limit is for a business man, working as MD in his own company, that employs at least 4 Thai workers. If you start a business, invest 2 million Baht, and you can't afford paying the MD 50,000 Baht a month, doesn't sound like plausible business idea that needs a foreigner to run. For a normal (big) Thai company, hiring a foreigner, I never heard of such a limit, as I have met several foreigners witht a WP, working as eg. clerks or teacher, earning less than 50,000 Baht.

As far as I know

A US green card entitles the possessor to work in any occupation and at any place in America for any wage.

A Thai work permit entitles the possessor to work at a specified (and limited list) occupation and at one specified geographical address in Thailand with a minimum income.

Not things which are directly comparable me thinks.

I am also sure that 'garbage collection' would be restricted to Thais only.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The 50,000 limit is for a business man, working as MD in his own company, that employs at least 4 Thai workers. If you start a business, invest 2 million Baht, and you can't afford paying the MD 50,000 Baht a month, doesn't sound like plausible business idea that needs a foreigner to run. For a normal (big) Thai company, hiring a foreigner, I never heard of such a limit, as I have met several foreigners witht a WP, working as eg. clerks or teacher, earning less than 50,000 Baht.

There is indeed a minimum wage for a work permit of 50kbht per month.

Schoolteachers are excluded from this minimum.

Many companies issue two contracts, one for the employee with their real wage (below minimum), one for the WP with a fake (above minimum wage). The employees have to pay tax on the fake inflated wage.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

If you go on holiday and want to speak your language, eat the same food your mother cooked, have the same standards as your house hold what the f... you call a holiday?

Under this logic, then no one would travel to countries other than those which speak their home language. Why shouldn't a Russian, Brazilian, Saudi, Italian, etc. not want to come on a holiday to the beaches of Phuket if they don't speak Thai or one of the languages that can be readily found in the Thai tourist industry?

Like it or not, if an area relies on tourism, and if they want to keep their customers happy, then they need people who speak their language. If Russians are coming, then there needs to be Russian-speaking guides to assist them. If Thais dont speak Russian, in this case, then they need to bring in Russian speakers to service those tourists.

I look to the tourist places in Europe and the USA where you can get guides who speak most of the languages that incoming tourists speak as an example.

These imported guides should apply for their work permit, of course, and be legal and above ground.

Ask one English or Great Britten to speak a second language and you would be surprised. The answer would be: NONE.

Please tell me one tourist site In Europe or USA where the speak Dutch except the Netherlands and northern Belgium?