After Five Months, Missing American Brett Bean Calls Home

webfact

After five months, missing American Brett Bean calls home
Phuket Gazette

bb.jpg
Brett Bean’s mother offered a 50,000 baht reward for the safe return of her 31-year-old son, and flew to Phuket to lead the search. Photo: Kritsada

PHUKET: -- Brett Bean, the American expat whose disappearance last November gained extensive press coverage, has contacted his family after 155 days of unnerving silence, the Phuket Gazette has confirmed.

“It was a very brief call,” his mother, Lynne Bean, said.

“We still do not know where he is, but it was very good to hear his voice,” she added.

“At least we know he is alive. There is still hope after 155 days,” his father, Wayne Bean, said.

His parents reported Brett missing after he failed to make a flight home to the United States last November, leading to an island-wide manhunt.

Karon Police inspector Chana Suttimard confirmed that police had not removed any of Mr Bean’s belongings from his rented bungalow.

“If Brett Bean contacted his parents, the case is closed,” Lt Col Chana said after being contacted by the Gazette.

“We tried every way we could to find him,” he said. “I would like to know why he disappeared.”

Mr Bean, 43, lived and surfed in Phuket for six months of the year and was a ski instructor in the United States for six months.

Phuket police investigating the case found nothing suspicious in his rented bungalow at the time of his disappearance. Mr Bean’s surfboard and passport were found inside, along with his driver’s license, motorbike registration book and his bankbook

His motorbike was missing, as were his helmet, laptop computer and cell phone.

“Everything looked like Mr Bean had just stepped out,” Maj Worapong Prom-in of the Chalong Police told the Gazette.

Mr Bean’s ATM card was used several times after his reported disappearance, always by a man wearing a motorbike helmet (story here). Police believed that it was Mr Bean making the withdrawals, arguing that anyone else would have removed all the money at once.

The last reported withdrawal was on December 17, after which the trail appeared to have gone cold.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/After-five-months-missing-American-Brett-Bean-calls-home-20943.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-04

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should seek treatment in a mental facility.

You wouldn't put the old parents through so much worry unless you're depressed or got something to hide from them.

Yes, he's either mental or extremely uncaring and inconsiderate.

• Like 1

You wouldn't put the old parents through so much worry unless you're depressed or got something to hide from them.

There is an off chance that he is being hunted by someone? Would be good reason to disappear quite quickly leaving everything behind.

• Like 1

There is an off chance that he is being hunted by someone? Would be good reason to disappear quite quickly leaving everything behind.

I hadn't thought of that - I live a quiet life! biggrin.png

If someone in the States is after him, they may be checking with his mum. Oh well, they know he's alive now. Watch this space!

People with depression don't need to be a mental facility. Depressed people just need a little help. Mental facilities make people worse not better. People should steer well clear of them. Go to one and you likely won't ever be the same again.

Maybe the guy just wants some peace and quiet. Maybe he wants to get away from his family. You can't just assume he is depressed or has something to hide. I know some people that need to get away from their families. This is due to their families, not them being depressed or having something to hide. He's been in touch, so leave the guy alone.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

I'd say it's you that's extremely uncaring and inconsiderate. Why else would you call someone mental when you don't even know them? Says a lot about you.

• Like 1

So far we have heard from his mother and many posters, but his story we don't know yet.

I'll reserve judgement until I really know why and how.

Is it possible he was in gaol?

There was a Swiss girl, I think, who was reported "missing" but actually was in a Thai gaol. Maybe this guy was in "the can."

I'd say it's you that's extremely uncaring and inconsiderate. Why else would you call someone mental when you don't even know them? Says a lot about you.

Ooh, goody! I've got my own private Thaivisa stalker. biggrin.png

So far we have heard from his mother and many posters, but his story we don't know yet.

Yep. People have the right to disappear if they want to. Perhaps there were events in his life outside of his control which necessitated it. There are members of my immediate family which I have not spoken to for a long time and have no intention to.

• Like 1

Tell the police, I would I was being hunted by a deranged expat or disgruntled local.

People with depression don't need to be a mental facility. Depressed people just need a little help. Mental facilities make people worse not better. People should steer well clear of them. Go to one and you likely won't ever be the same again.

Maybe the guy just wants some peace and quiet. Maybe he wants to get away from his family. You can't just assume he is depressed or has something to hide. I know some people that need to get away from their families. This is due to their families, not them being depressed or having something to hide. He's been in touch, so leave the guy alone.

If he wants quiet, why not call earlier and avoid the media storm it created.

He got the complete opposite if that's what he wanted.

He was feared dead, a body found floating in the sea was suspected to be him at one time.

Poor parents don't need to be put through that whatever the reasons. Heartless.

Its not hard to call and say leave me alone <deleted>.

Yep. People have the right to disappear if they want to. Perhaps there were events in his life outside of his control which necessitated it. There are members of my immediate family which I have not spoken to for a long time and have no intention to.

Yes, me too but if reports surfaced of me missing I would contact them and say I'm ok. Not hide and waste police and the media's time.

Could have been done through a friend even. Selfish.

ok we need the facts first. He might not be selfish, he may of not been able to contact until now. Have to wait and see what the reason is ! Why would the call be brief after 5 months????

We ARE talking about a 43 year man here, not a 16 year old. He can pretty much do whatever-the-frig he wants if it's not illegal.

Not debating that.

Debating the fact its heartless to put your old parents through that.

I mean, she flew here and was later joined by her husband in a desperate search for him. He would have known about the media attention.

He didn't even have to talk to them. Just tell the police or a friend to tell them you're not interested in talking to them right now.

Would have saved everyone's time, his friends, the police. That's what's selfish.

We ARE talking about a 43 year man here, not a 16 year old. He can pretty much do whatever-the-frig he wants if it's not illegal.

Not debating that.

I mean, she flew here and was later joined by her husband in a desperate search for him. He would have known about the media attention.

He didn't even have to talk to them. Just tell the police or a friend to tell them you're not interested in talking to them right now.

Would have saved everyone's time, his friends, the police. That's what's selfish.

Especially for a 43 year old man

Not debating that.

Acting like a 16 year old. That's where the mental health aspect comes in.

43 year old should understand the ramifications of his actions if he is mentally stable.

• Like 1

Not debating that.

Acting like a 16 year old. That's where the mental health aspect comes in.

43 year old should understand the ramifications of his actions if he is mentally stable.

Or simply doesnt give a sh!t