Chicken Fallout

Chicken fallout

UDON THANI: As 58-year-old village headman Boonchu Srisingha was leaving his home in tambon Chiang Yuen on the morning of 27 January, he noticed a white plastic bag hanging from the fence surrounding his home. Intrigued, he looked closer and spotted a note attached to it that read, “Please give the contents of this bag to Mongkol Singhamaw, aged 28, of 129 Moo 5.”

As the bag was tightly wrapped in electrical wire and appeared to have a fuse, K. Boonchu suspected it wasn’t a birthday present. Rather than contact K. Mongkol – a handsome construction worker recently returned from Israel and due to be married in a few days – he called the police.

When Muang district police arrived they were just as puzzled by the bag. They learned from K. Boonchu that K. Mongkol had already been the victim of numerous threats by a jilted ex-lover, and they had to suspect the worst – a time bomb. A bomb squad from Border Patrol Police Unit 24 was called in.

Word travels quickly in a Thai village, and by the time the experts arrived, a sizable crowd had already gathered to watch.

The team X-rayed the plastic bag, but the results were inconclusive. For safety’s sake they had to assume that it was a bomb. Thinking it would be too risky to move, they decided the best course of action was to detonate the bag in a “controlled explosion”.

An explosive charge was placed near the plastic bag and set off. The bag’s contents – putrefied chicken parts and human excrement – went flying in every direction, splattering the crowd of onlookers. Hopefully the incident will teach them to stand a bit farther back the next time the bomb squad pays a visit.

--Phuket Gazette 2004-02-16

That reminds me of the time when the Bomb squad were called to Paliament House in Adelaide because the then attornety general mr Duncans Brief case was "ticking".

I was working there at the time and you should have seen the carryon, it was like a Keystone cops episode.

They attached a string to the bag to pull it outside and didnt' cordon the area so I am knocking off and walked straight over the top of this bag with a bit of string on it. I get outside and the cops grab me and ask how I got there, told them working in the building and going home same as I do every night. They then posted a cop to cordon the area.

Next thing they attach these detonators to the bag and blow the ###### out of it, I mean destroyed it, it went about 20 feet in the air.

No bomb, it was his voice recorder, the tape had run off the end of the spool and hence the ticking.

Next day as I go into work I find three live detonators on the ground, picked them up and gave them to duty copper and cant say what his comments were or IT will remove my post, but they were derogatory.

I hope they have improved a lot since then. :o

Chicken fallout

Word travels quickly in a Thai village, and by the time the experts arrived, a sizable crowd had already gathered to watch.

now this is what never failed to amaze me about thailand. never mind what happened afterwards in the story, but if you suspect theres a bomb in the vicinity, WOULD YOU STAND AROUND AND WATCH????

detonators were left there by the bomb squad, some sort of oversight.

Peter should have learnt to swim

Is he dead Bronco ?

Sorry Doc wrong Duncan was thinking of the guy the cops gave a swimming lesson to in the Torrens. Saw something on TV the other day about Duncan but was pissed at the time, so cant remember.