Over Stay Penalties

Hi wondering if anyone can help,

Ive done it again , gone and overstayed my visa..opps

Today herd it through the grapevine that they have increased the overstay fine up to 500 baht from 200 a day. This seems like a rather drastic increase to me can anyone confirm this to be true or false?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

help much apriciated,

cheers

Today herd it through the grapevine that they have increased the overstay fine up to 500 baht from 200 a day. This seems like a rather drastic increase to me can anyone confirm this to be true or false?

help much apriciated,

cheers

yes, that is true. Drastic? Just don't overstay!!!! :o

help much apriciated,

cheers

yes, that is true. Drastic? Just don't overstay!!!! :o

Yeah thanks for confirming, wont be overstaying anymore!

We had a case of a client who overstayed 11( Eleven) years on Monday. He was fined 20,000 Baht and it took 3 hours of convincing from one of our lawyers to keep him out of jail. They said this was the longest overstay they had ever seen. He flew to the USA this morning a very happy man.

Don't overstay!

www.lawyer.th.com

We had a case of a client who overstayed 11( Eleven) years on Monday. He was fined 20,000 Baht and it took 3 hours of convincing from one of our lawyers to keep him out of jail. They said this was the longest overstay they had ever seen. He flew to the USA this morning a very happy man.

Don't overstay!

www.lawyer.th.com

jesus.. he was lucky.. if he hadn't had a lawyer he'd been in trouble ?

Look the best advice is .. you can see in your passport when your entry expires.. get out before then !

totster :o

Guess he is persona non grata for the next 99 years.

He was able to avoid the "persona non grata" The main reason was, he was a minor for part of the 11 year overstay. That was the lawyer’s main argument, why not to put him on the blacklist and jail.

I bet the USA will look different to him after all these years!

www.lawyer.th.com

He was able to avoid the "persona non grata" The main reason was, he was a minor for part of the 11 year overstay. That was the lawyer’s main argument, why not to put him on the blacklist and jail.

Wow, he was in Thailand since he was a minor. He should have been granted residency , if he stayed that long? What is his story? How old is he now?

Edited by britainmal

Thought the normal procedure is like as follows.

1.If you get to the Airport you just pay the TH 20,0000.- and leave the country , no problem with Blacklist.

2.In case you want to clear your overstay at the Immigration.

Buy a ticket leaving in the evening of the same day.

You pay the penalty and Immigration stamp your passport that you must leave the country within the same day.

In these cases no jail or blacklist.

If I'm wrong pls correct me.

May be Sunbelt can give us a bit more background info.

Thank you.

Since a US passport expires in ten years how did he manage that part of it?

As long as you stay in LOS and don't contact immigration you do not need a valid p/port.

If cought, with or without p/port same/same but different.

Wow, he was in Thailand since he was a minor. He should have been granted residency , if he stayed that long? What is his story? How old is he now?

Thailand does not grant residency simply because someone is here for 11 years. He is 24 years old now.

Since a US passport expires in ten years how did he manage that part of it?

He was issue a new passport. You cannot leave Thailand until you obtain a transfer of your entry stamp from the old passport to the new one at Immigration. It is not possible to do this at the airport.

2.In case you want to clear your overstay at the Immigration.

Buy a ticket leaving in the evening of the same day.

You pay the penalty and Immigration stamp your passport that you must leave the country within the same day.

Correct. We have had clients with overstays of up to 4 years prior to this with no problem except they had to pay the penalty. The reason the detective was talking jail was because of the length of this overstay.

www.lawyer.th.com

He was issue a new passport. You cannot leave Thailand until you obtain a transfer of your entry stamp from the old passport to the new one at Immigration. It is not possible to do this at the airport.

Can anyone please confirm or clarify this

I have just got a new passport. I will be leaving very soon and intend to pay overstay 20,000 Baht at the airport. I will have my old passport with old entry stamp and out of date visa.

Are you saying I cannot do this at the airport?

If I do this at immigration - what are the chances of being arrested or jailed until time for my flight out?

You don't get Residency in Thailand simply based on how long you have lived here - particularly if you have been here illegally for most of the time!

I suspect the Immigration people were just really ticked off at the chaps record - I mean overstaying for a week or two can be excused in a way, overstaying for 11 years demonstrates total contempt for the Country's Immigration Regulations. They would also be curious to know how he had been living in Thailand - what sort of income he had and from where for example.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

have just got a new passport. I will be leaving very soon and intend to pay overstay 20,000 Baht at the airport. I will have my old passport with old entry stamp and out of date visa.

Are you saying I cannot do this at the airport?

Correct. It must be done at the Immigration office before you go to the airport. When you picked up the new passport, your Embassy should of told you that you need to go to Immigration.

If I do this at immigration - what are the chances of being arrested or jailed until time for my flight out?

Must have your airplane ticket with less than 72 hours before you leave Thailand. It depends on how long you have overstayed, if you have a lawyer, etc. on the odds at Immigration being arrested. If you like, one of our Thai Lawyers will be speak on your behalf while you are there for 3,900 Baht.

www.lawyer.th.com