Nikon D800 Or D7100

Have the D3100, and although performs pretty well, i hate its Dynamic Range ( remember the "good old" days shooting on velvia 50 - great cause loved the results, but working with film is just too time intensive )......

Anyway, getting back to the topic - if i go for :

- D7100, i can still use my DX lenses, and DX will give you more depth of field due to smaller chip ( which really does wonders when you shoot 2x macro for under water photography. down side is DR is slightly lower, but still in the "excellent" range.

- D800 - has better dynamic range according to DXOMark, but would have to sell the DX lenses and go back to the full 35mm format lenses again. Means coughing up more money for new lenses whilst selling old ones.

Any advice ?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/865|0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/834|0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/792|0/(brand3)/Nikon

Edited by skippybangkok

If you could afford the coughing, the choice is obvious.

Bit of a sore cough, but one that can be tolerated.... but..... on dxomark web, the dynamic range results are 13.7 (d7100) vs 14.4 (D800). the D3100 comes in at 11.3, and i know 11.3 is so-so.

point, only diff I see is low light / high speed object photography which the d800 wins hands down ( not DR )

I have both, 7100 is still a bit of an enigma to me though because as an aperture user there is still no raw convertor. I have processed a few images in LR but still don't have a definitive opinion. The D800 files have a "look" to them, a little bit something extra BUT this may just because I am used to processing in aperture and not LR.

The 7100 has got more reach, its smaller, lighter, etc but one major downer of the D7100 is the buffer - its just as bad as the 7000.

I think you have to decide what specifically you want to use it for. If it is macro then this may help...........

http://wildlifethailand.com/component/content/article/9-articles-a-news/general-photography/1-nikon-d800e-an-experiment

For macro both cameras give a great cropping ability, and if macro is your aim then you are using flash so the increased ISO capabilities of the D800 are not really important.

If I was buying for macro, all things considered incl cost, I would probably go with the 7100 BUT would love it be in a more rugged body and for it have a bigger buffer.

If I was buying for general photography - am not sure really.

If UW wide angle of course the D800 would be the choice.

Tough decision.

I have both, 7100 is still a bit of an enigma to me though because as an aperture user there is still no raw convertor. I have processed a few images in LR but still don't have a definitive opinion. The D800 files have a "look" to them, a little bit something extra BUT this may just because I am used to processing in aperture and not LR.

The 7100 has got more reach, its smaller, lighter, etc but one major downer of the D7100 is the buffer - its just as bad as the 7000.

I think you have to decide what specifically you want to use it for. If it is macro then this may help...........

http://wildlifethailand.com/component/content/article/9-articles-a-news/general-photography/1-nikon-d800e-an-experiment

For macro both cameras give a great cropping ability, and if macro is your aim then you are using flash so the increased ISO capabilities of the D800 are not really important.

If I was buying for macro, all things considered incl cost, I would probably go with the 7100 BUT would love it be in a more rugged body and for it have a bigger buffer.

If I was buying for general photography - am not sure really.

If UW wide angle of course the D800 would be the choice.

Tough decision.

Thanks ! Obviously an expert user !. Problem is its a bit of everything, UW wide angle and macro, and also landscape photography. Seems you would lean to d800 then ? agree, for pure macro, would use D7100 as the smaller chip gives better DOF

In all honesty, I think I would personally make the decision based on cost.

You can throw different scenarios at the FX and DX and get different answers, one wins sometimes, another at others.

For the D800 route, the body, non DX glass, housing, and ports (am an ex UW shooter myself) is going to be a major financial out lay. The D7100 a lot less. The D800 has its own quirks as well, its not very forgiving with sloppy technique (I did not realize I had "sloppy" technique till I used it - very unforgiving)

Personally I think I consider the D7100 seriously, as I would not expect to be able to see any difference between the pictures (web and print) produced by either in 90% of situations.

But take into account that my opinion is biased by my own situation. Someone else may disagree strongly with me ;+)

Edited by Whale

If you could afford the coughing, the choice is obvious.

Bit of a sore cough, but one that can be tolerated.... but..... on dxomark web, the dynamic range results are 13.7 (d7100) vs 14.4 (D800). the D3100 comes in at 11.3, and i know 11.3 is so-so.

point, only diff I see is low light / high speed object photography which the d800 wins hands down ( not DR )

If I had the money, the low light / digital noise factor, in itself, would be the clincher.

you can actually have your cake and eat it at the same time! With the D800 you can still use your DX lenses and it will automatically go in to DX lens mode and you'll get a picture like what you'd get from a D7100 albeit at 16 megapixels and alternatively you can turn the DX mode off and get a full frame image at 36 megapixels with some vignetting (darkening) at the corners of the image which you can crop out in post processing or keep it there if you like the look...

If you had the funds, I'd say you can go for a D800 and get the best of both worlds....

On the other hand, the D7100 is lighter, smaller and easier to handle that the D800 - you could use the cash saved for more lenses...

http://robertgiordano.blogspot.com/2012/05/nikon-d800-vs-nikon-d7000-with-dx-lens.html

Edited by einstein640

I sold my D300s and my DX lenses. Bought a D800e at Fotofile and have been very happy. I have my doubts about the future of APS-C cameras. As mentioned the D800 has a DX crop AND a 1.2 crop mode.

I sold my D300s and my DX lenses. Bought a D800e at Fotofile and have been very happy. I have my doubts about the future of APS-C cameras. As mentioned the D800 has a DX crop AND a 1.2 crop mode.

Thanks guys.... Seems a few happy campers with D800, and a recommendation for 7100. I am sure I can squeeze the max out of both ( see below pic - Pygmy sea horse) having done about 200 dives w a SLR / DSLR.

Thinking about it, buying a new UW housing for the camera is also a big cost, and choosing the wrong camera would cost more than the diff in body prices. Although I believe the 7100 will win with 2x macro ( that's the only reason I moved from full frame to DX format ), then 800 would win with UW wide angle and landscape photography with better Dynamic range.

Am I wrong in the above assumption ?

post-25605-13679303258728_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.... Seems a few happy campers with D800, and a recommendation for 7100. I am sure I can squeeze the max out of both ( see below pic - Pygmy sea horse) having done about 200 dives w a SLR / DSLR.

Thinking about it, buying a new UW housing for the camera is also a big cost, and choosing the wrong camera would cost more than the diff in body prices. Although I believe the 7100 will win with 2x macro ( that's the only reason I moved from full frame to DX format ), then 800 would win with UW wide angle and landscape photography with better Dynamic range.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1367930320.936791.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1367930320.936791.jpg

Why don't you take your 2x macro lens to a Nikon shop and do some testing on both these cameras?

Q. Why don't you take your 2x macro lens to a Nikon shop and do some testing on both these cameras?

A. Will see if they let me. Usually a bit shy to ask believe it or not.

Don't be shy. At Fotofile they will discount the D800 to about 92000. Bring your lens and some memory cards and do your testing. Nice to hear what you decided and why.

Q. Why don't you take your 2x macro lens to a Nikon shop and do some testing on both these cameras?

Don't be shy. At Fotofile they will discount the D800 to about 92000. Bring your lens and some memory cards and do your testing. Nice to hear what you decided and why.

World Camera lists the D800 @ 93,000THB. In Person, they will probably go lower.

World Camera lists the D800 @ 93,000THB. In Person, they will probably go lower.

Yes, World has good prices too but I had some equipment to trade and they were not interested. Could not find a sales clerk with good English skills. Fotofile took some stuff of mine and the sales price on the D800e was 98000.

Yes, World has good prices too but I had some equipment to trade and they were not interested. Could not find a sales clerk with good English skills. Fotofile took some stuff of mine and the sales price on the D800e was 98000.

Camera World doesn't deal with second hand. So, the aren't into trade-ins.

But, at both the Fortunetown and Ladphrao stores, I've never had a communication problem.

Personally, I wouldn't trade in any equipment. Sure, it's easy. But, the offers are usually insulting.

Camera World doesn't deal with second hand. So, the aren't into trade-ins.

But, at both the Fortunetown and Ladphrao stores, I've never had a communication problem.

Personally, I wouldn't trade in any equipment. Sure, it's easy. But, the offers are usually insulting.

Well I didn't feel insulted, 12000 for D300 seemed fair. I am always amazed how seller's think their old obsolete electronics has value. For me, time is money and attempting to get a higher price on Craigslist or the Internet just isn't worth it.