Tourism Minister: International Licenses A Must For Phuket Car, Bike Rentals

webfact

Granted Phuket has some of the worst drivers in the country, but I think the focus should be on the crazy thai drivers. I dont know about europe but im guessing its similar to the states where we have a far superior Drivers Ed classes/instruction than any of the thais. I think they should make the rules stricter and/or provide good training before giving anyone a license.

I dont know how many near accidents I had because a thai driver was riding up my ass or tries to squeeze in front with barely any space on bypass road going 100km+

With tourism revenue estimates in Thailand for 2013 coming in at 1.1 trillion baht from foreigners and 5 billion from the domestic market, the importance of private and government organizations focusing on protecting tourists and their belongings was paramount, Mr Somsak said.

“We are well on our way to hitting our target figure for 2015, which is 2.2 trillion,” he said.

So the tourist revenue is set to grow by 100% and in only two years, guess the scams will have to increase.

"With tourism revenue estimates in Thailand for 2013 coming in at 1.1 trillion baht from foreigners and 5 billion from the domestic market..."

1.1 trillion from foreigners / 5 billion from domestic = 220. The revenue from foreigners is 220 times more than from locals?

Absolutly agree that you should have the international drivers license.

...but Thais should have a valid drivers license as well!

...and then you need to educate the brainless police guys what a international drivers license is! Last time I showed it to a police guy he asked what this is...???? When you show him 100bath he smiles, welcomes you! So is the international drivers license a 100bath note?

This problem could be largely solved - by addressing the root of the problem, rather than sticking band-aids all over the place.

Phuket is absolutely desperate for decent public transport. Period.

Many 'tourists' do not want to risk driving on Thai roads on sometimes unroadworthy motorcycles and cars - but when they can rent a motorcycle for 150 baht per day is weighed up against Somchai in his 'tuk-tuk' asking several hundred for a few minutes short one way trip, is it any wonder.

I appreciate that there will still be some who want to travel around independently by motorcycle - but I think the majority would prefer to sit on a relatively cheap and regular bus service.

While the local Phuket 'mobs' (and their leader) continue to dictate what Phuket can or cannot have - we the visitors to their Island continue to suffer, and in some cases die.

Everyone reading this thread knows that for all the laws and kicking and screaming about licences - in 6 weeks or 6 months time I could go to almost any motorcycle rental shop and hire a motorcycle with no licence/insurance or experience.

A rule, or law is only as good as the enforcement of it.

"With tourism revenue estimates in Thailand for 2013 coming in at 1.1 trillion baht from foreigners and 5 billion from the domestic market..."

1.1 trillion from foreigners / 5 billion from domestic = 220. The revenue from foreigners is 220 times more than from locals?

I find this very hard to believe, but it is common knowledge that TAT and other govt officials just throw out numbers with little or no real justification or even basis in reality. If you ask them they will say are based on surveys of foreign visitors, but I have never heard of similar surveys conducted among domestic visitors.

In fact, many people mistake the surveyors for timeshare touts and so on.

I find many of the Thai domestic visitors my family hosts to be much more free spending than my own foreign friends who arrive from abroad or who live in other parts of Thailand. One thing they all have in common is the view that Phuket has become more expensive than even Bangkok.

This problem could be largely solved - by addressing the root of the problem, rather than sticking band-aids all over the place.

Phuket is absolutely desperate for decent public transport. Period.

Many 'tourists' do not want to risk driving on Thai roads on sometimes unroadworthy motorcycles and cars - but when they can rent a motorcycle for 150 baht per day is weighed up against Somchai in his 'tuk-tuk' asking several hundred for a few minutes short one way trip, is it any wonder.

I appreciate that there will still be some who want to travel around independently by motorcycle - but I think the majority would prefer to sit on a relatively cheap and regular bus service.

While the local Phuket 'mobs' (and their leader) continue to dictate what Phuket can or cannot have - we the visitors to their Island continue to suffer, and in some cases die.

Everyone reading this thread knows that for all the laws and kicking and screaming about licences - in 6 weeks or 6 months time I could go to almost any motorcycle rental shop and hire a motorcycle with no licence/insurance or experience.

A rule, or law is only as good as the enforcement of it.

"Phuket is absolutely desperate for decent public transport." - it's gone beyond "desperate" to the point that it's "criminal" Phuket hasn't public transport options.

Many have died, and many more will continue to die, not to forget those injured, some seriously, until Phuket has the transport options that exist in the rest of Thailand.

Edited by NamKangMan