Mosquito Trap

mogoso

I did this and it works pretty good..

Option 7 for poster above is to try it and be surprised. Don't always be cynical.

I think on my trial that maybe I put too much sugar. I just remembered the old Holsten pils adverts. All the sugar turns to alcohol.

I will be trying different amounts of sugar and yeast etc but it had positive results. A substantial amount of dead mozzies.

• Like 2

Stuff some cloves in cut in half limes / lemons.

For ants spray a mix of vinegar and water around the area.

Both preventatives.

Tried the ant one last night, did the trick.

Edited by DaamNaam

When I was in Libya we were plagued with flies due to camels and the desert environment it seemed. The Thai workers used to make these traps which catch flies in copious numbers. I mean kilos of them in a few days. Very successful compared with the weekly fogging of the office complex with insect spray which did not seem to work.

This looks like a perfect trap for FRUIT FLYS but not at all for mosquitos. While fruit flys cannot resist the sugar and yeast ... and can smell them from very large distances ... mosquitos are attracted to the smell of warm blooded animals and are not at all interested in sugar and yeast.

Edited by HerbalEd

We built 2 small fish ponds, one at the front of the house and one at the back. We put some small fish in them, not sure what type, however, it seems that they love to eat the mosquito larvae. The mosquitoes like to lay their eggs in water, no brainer really. It took a couple of weeks or so but we hardly ever see a mosquito now. My wife's family do the same at their house in Bangkok but they use one of those pedestal water features instead of a pond, seems to be just as effective.

I read in the advertising bumph for some expensive American mosquito exterminating machine that mosies can only travel a short distance so once you have eliminated them from your area it is hard for them to establish themselves again, which is probably why we only see the odd one now and again.

• Like 1

This looks like a perfect trap for FRUIT FLYS but not at all for mosquitos. While fruit flys cannot resist the sugar and yeast ... and can smell them from very large distances ... mosquitos are attracted to the smell of warm blooded animals and are not at all interested in sugar and yeast.

I hope most of us (particularly of the male persuation) don't smell like blood ;o) Mosquitos are, in fact, attracted to CO2 and moisture... which are both supplied by the trap while yeast is fermenting.

• Like 2

i did exactly the same , but it didn't work after 3 days still nothing in the jar?

I think you have the Beta version mossies in your area, they have figured out that they can leave the same way they came in, for them you use a different bait. Try Thai wiskey instead of the sugar, water and yeast. When they get inside the fumes make them drunk and they drown. I haven't tried this bait yet but atleast if it doesn't work you can still drink the bait.

I find my electric tennis racket better.........I .just love to hear them crackle and burn,its so satisfying......and the big ones that get stuck, burn and smoulder and really smell like dead bodies.

option 2, the small electric blue light lamp, clears any stray annoying mossies from the bedroom. great to see them stuck and limb-less in the morning.

option 3 good old traditional spray, though not good in confined spaces, can get in your throat and not good.

option 4 the smoking coils, absolute crap, do they really work, I doubt it.

option 5; I have a couple of frogs and several small jingjoks, frogs good outside and the lizards good for indoors, but as i found out the other night, the spray that kills mossies and cockroaches also kills the lizards....unless they were poisoned after eating dead mossies.

option 6 make sure you have plenty of garlic and spicy food in your diet, mossies keep away from burning pheromones.

Option 4 works. Option 6 is mumbo-jumbo. My dad used to use the coils a lot. They work. I used it myself just recently when I had a little 'sleep out' in a tent -- put a coil at each entrance and the mosquitoes never came close.

• Like 1

I refitted my black cloud fly remover with the base full of a sugar and yeast attractant and a black light that further entices them. The big fan chops them on the way down and the funnel prevents any escape attempts. Only bummer is the constant emptying of the masses of mosquitos in the filter bag. I give the lazy geckos a heap of snacks and that ain't bad.

Ummm... That mixture produces carbon dioxide, which is what attracts the mossies. What did you think it was about the "smell of warm blooded animals" that attracted them?

I find my electric tennis racket better.........I .just love to hear them crackle and burn,its so satisfying......and the big ones that get stuck, burn and smoulder and really smell like dead bodies.

option 2, the small electric blue light lamp, clears any stray annoying mossies from the bedroom. great to see them stuck and limb-less in the morning.

option 3 good old traditional spray, though not good in confined spaces, can get in your throat and not good.

option 4 the smoking coils, absolute crap, do they really work, I doubt it.

option 5; I have a couple of frogs and several small jingjoks, frogs good outside and the lizards good for indoors, but as i found out the other night, the spray that kills mossies and cockroaches also kills the lizards....unless they were poisoned after eating dead mossies.

option 6 make sure you have plenty of garlic and spicy food in your diet, mossies keep away from burning pheromones.

Option 4 works. Option 6 is mumbo-jumbo. My dad used to use the coils a lot. They work. I used it myself just recently when I had a little 'sleep out' in a tent -- put a coil at each entrance and the mosquitoes never came close.

Agreed! Option 4 works FANTASTIC! Smells terrible but its better than getting eaten alive in Isaan.

this sounds like a good idea for mozzies - does anyone have a similar idea for ants? we are plagued with them, and they bite.

Isaan girls are GREAT at catching and eating those ants! biggrin.png

Shouldn't cost you a dime, just ask one of them for help with your ant infestation and they will send someone over for dinner - i mean to catch them.

As mentioned above this has to be way to much sugar. I make bread so I know what it takes to activate yeast. You just want to activate the yeast that produces the CO2. To do use 2 teaspoons of sugar, that's plenty. I'll follow up with results from my recipe.My suggestions: Start with Off-it's the best and easier to put on than lotion. Electric tennis racket. Mosky spray when necessary. I live in the jungle with no screens. I'm looking forward to giving this trap a try. Saw a trap in Robinson's that emits a sound that attracts them and a fan to pull them in...1300 baht. I passed. I find the little thing that plugs into the wall with replaceable reservoirs are useless.

Edited by Pinot

http://reap-eastafrica.org/blogs.info/reap/pdf/FlyTrap.pdf

Tried this, I've seen better diagrams, but can't find it.

The main difference is that the tube you see going up into the top bottle is taped to the bottom neck. And to prevent the flies from just going back down, the top of the cylinder is pinched to a very small opening, just enough for the fly to get through.

The bottom bottle should be dark all the way up, so the flies are only attracted to the light in the top for escape. They can't, and buzz themselves to death in the top.

Sometimes you'll get hundreds of flies in an hour, sometimes nada. Maybe depends on the bait.

Just push something you think they like through the fly entry flaps in the bottom bottle and hope.