BANGKOK 23 May 2019 09:46
Sign in to follow this  
mogoso

Mosquito Trap

I did this and it works pretty good..

Option 7 for poster above is to try it and be surprised. Don't always be cynical.

I think on my trial that maybe I put too much sugar. I just remembered the old Holsten pils adverts. All the sugar turns to alcohol.

I will be trying different amounts of sugar and yeast etc but it had positive results. A substantial amount of dead mozzies.

• Like 2

this sounds like a good idea for mozzies - does anyone have a similar idea for ants? we are plagued with them, and they bite.

Stuff some cloves in cut in half limes / lemons.

For ants spray a mix of vinegar and water around the area.

Both preventatives.

Tried the ant one last night, did the trick.

Edited by DaamNaam

i did exactly the same , but it didn't work after 3 days still nothing in the jar?

When I was in Libya we were plagued with flies due to camels and the desert environment it seemed. The Thai workers used to make these traps which catch flies in copious numbers. I mean kilos of them in a few days. Very successful compared with the weekly fogging of the office complex with insect spray which did not seem to work.

Thanks for the post! I love internet DIY projects.

This looks like a perfect trap for FRUIT FLYS but not at all for mosquitos. While fruit flys cannot resist the sugar and yeast ... and can smell them from very large distances ... mosquitos are attracted to the smell of warm blooded animals and are not at all interested in sugar and yeast.

Edited by HerbalEd

We built 2 small fish ponds, one at the front of the house and one at the back. We put some small fish in them, not sure what type, however, it seems that they love to eat the mosquito larvae. The mosquitoes like to lay their eggs in water, no brainer really. It took a couple of weeks or so but we hardly ever see a mosquito now. My wife's family do the same at their house in Bangkok but they use one of those pedestal water features instead of a pond, seems to be just as effective.

I read in the advertising bumph for some expensive American mosquito exterminating machine that mosies can only travel a short distance so once you have eliminated them from your area it is hard for them to establish themselves again, which is probably why we only see the odd one now and again.

• Like 1

This looks like a perfect trap for FRUIT FLYS but not at all for mosquitos. While fruit flys cannot resist the sugar and yeast ... and can smell them from very large distances ... mosquitos are attracted to the smell of warm blooded animals and are not at all interested in sugar and yeast.

I hope most of us (particularly of the male persuation) don't smell like blood ;o) Mosquitos are, in fact, attracted to CO2 and moisture... which are both supplied by the trap while yeast is fermenting.

• Like 2

i did exactly the same , but it didn't work after 3 days still nothing in the jar?

I think you have the Beta version mossies in your area, they have figured out that they can leave the same way they came in, for them you use a different bait. Try Thai wiskey instead of the sugar, water and yeast. When they get inside the fumes make them drunk and they drown. I haven't tried this bait yet but atleast if it doesn't work you can still drink the bait.

At the end of two weeks, do you have beer? Strain out the mosquitoes and drink it down! Mmmmm!

• Like 1