Mosquito Trap

mogoso

• 9 months later...

Has anyone built one of these traps and had it be successful? Seems everyone that has tried it hasn't had good results.

I am about to move into a new house and the yard is an absolute mosquito festival. I assume this is because the house is a couple blocks from the canal road.

I already tried the water garden/guppies (fish) thing. No help.

• Like 1

This looks like a perfect trap for FRUIT FLYS but not at all for mosquitos. While fruit flys cannot resist the sugar and yeast ... and can smell them from very large distances ... mosquitos are attracted to the smell of warm blooded animals and are not at all interested in sugar and yeast.

mosquitoes are drawn to carbon dioxide from breathing mammals.

the sugar and yeast creates that.

• 5 years later...
On 5/9/2013 at 6:46 AM, bobl said:

Ummm... That mixture produces carbon dioxide, which is what attracts the mossies. What did you think it was about the "smell of warm blooded animals" that attracted them?

Most of the articles I've read on the subject recently, indicate that carbon dioxide is only part of the equation. 

Here's an extract from one such article with a link to the full article below it.

Mosquitoes are stimulated by a number of factors when seeking out a blood meal. Initially, they’re attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale. Body heat is probably important too, but once the mosquito gets closer, she will respond to the smell of a potential blood source’s skin.

http://theconversation.com/health-check-why-mosquitoes-seem-to-bite-some-people-more-36425

On 5/7/2013 at 9:48 PM, eyecatcher said:

I find my electric tennis racket better.........I .just love to hear them crackle and burn,its so satisfying......and the big ones that get stuck, burn and smoulder and really smell like dead bodies.

option 2, the small electric blue light lamp, clears any stray annoying mossies from the bedroom. great to see them stuck and limb-less in the morning.

option 3 good old traditional spray, though not good in confined spaces, can get in your throat and not good.

option 4 the smoking coils, absolute crap, do they really work, I doubt it.

option 5; I have a couple of frogs and several small jingjoks, frogs good outside and the lizards good for indoors, but as i found out the other night, the spray that kills mossies and cockroaches also kills the lizards....unless they were poisoned after eating dead mossies.

option 6 make sure you have plenty of garlic and spicy food in your diet, mossies keep away from burning pheromones.

As i read this  .. i can actually hear the pleasure in your voice and had to laugh out loud   .. thanks 

3 hours ago, ifmu said:

As i read this  .. i can actually hear the pleasure in your voice and had to laugh out loud   .. thanks 

I have waited 6 years for someone to appreciate it. It was worth the effort commenting

The best Spa Massage in Chiang Mai At Kiyora Spa

If you are looking for a spa in Chiang Mai, I recommend " Kiyora Spa "

Spa Packages

Soothe 'N' Bliss  2 hours (120 minutes)  2,200 Baht

Lanna Traditions 2 hours (120 minutes) 1,900 Baht

Thai Inspired 2.5 hours (150 minutes) 2,450 Baht

One for the Fellows 2.5 hours (150 minutes) 2,750 Baht

The Miracle of Kiyora 2.5 hours (150 minutes) 3,450 Baht

Kiyora Delight 2.5 hours (150 minutes) 3,250 Baht

Hot Stone Healing 2.5 hours (150 minutes) 3,350 Baht

Escape from the City 3 hours (180 minutes) 4,150 Baht

Firm 'N' Tone 3.5 hours (210 minutes) 4,350 Baht