Foreigner Beaten By Tuk-Tuk Drivers After Not Paying Extortionate Fee At Karaoke Bar

webfact

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are out after midnight in Thailand expect to be scammed. Though I have to say that in 15 years of traveling and living here I have never had this type of problem. Most of the tuk tuk's and motocy's I've taken have been quite friendly. Maybe I got lucky and picked the non-mafia ones LOL. Doubtful considering my points of origin at 3am. Just keep in the back of your mind at all times that the possibility exists for extortion and/or violence and always have a plan B.

• Like 1

I had the <deleted> beat out of me by a drunk tuk tuk driver the first year here in CM. Scams happen and you pay them off and learn. Don't have the money????? Then maybe you get beat up. If you can not remember anything else -- remember the number on the tuk tuk. They all have one.

Second thing -- Don't go to Thai Karoke bars. Massive rip offs and primarily for Thais. If you do go, go with a group of Thai family members or real Thai friends that you trust. If fact, don't go to Karoke bars, expensive 'massage' establishments, or any other questionable night-life spots with a tuk tuk driver. These guys are on the payroll and will expect compensation by you sport.

And considering the 'Run to a safe 5 star hotel' idea. Temporary fix and probably not a bad one, especially if you have remembered that tuk tuk number. The cops will get involved. But even if the guy gets caught, don't think it's over! It's not! My dear pasty white Farang fellow traveler, you might not be able to recognize them on sight, but I guarantee they will recognize you, and that they will eventually find you. And when they do my friend, it ain't gonna be a simple beating you get -- if you get my drift. My best friend's brother got his eye taken out by some not-so-nice people that tend to be involved in a lot of these scams. Got a good international hospital insurance policy?

Are you hurt bad my friend? I truly hope not. You learned a lesson. Wipe the blood off and consider yourself a wiser person. And never let things that should stay a minor incident escalate into something that can become life-threatening.

Enjoy the remainder of your stay.

Oh, and Queensberry Rules -- Ha Ha Ha ;)

Criminals you have everywhere in the world, and you should be carefull where to go. Even In ChiangMai or Dusseldorf. But that tuk-tuk drivers have to be feared, I did not knew. I know they like to overcharge tourist for 100 or 200 baht a drive (it's almost a tourist attraction), but robbery with excesive force. Even in Europe you can count on 8 years of jail.

So we have a long time expat who suddenly gets a bill of 17.000 THB and he has no clue why the bill is so high? Very unlikely were the girls a bit too young perhaps? Did the driver wait for many hours? The story is weird. How many long time expats would bring themselves in such a situation? 1 in 100?

• Like 2

A long term expat got into a tuk tuk and let him take him to a bar he didnt know? That's a pretty nube thing to do. Never follow a tout or a tuktuk driver ANYWHERE !

I didn't catch that at first. Long-term doesn't mean being here longer than the first visa run on your 6 month tourist visa. I'd have to question this guy's perception of 'long term'.

Edited by connda

“It was all captured on a CCTV camera and I have got the option to press charges,” he says, “but retribution does not thrill me. I just want to warn others.”

I wouldn't worry about retribution, but spending several days in a police station pressing charges, knowing all the time that at best the attackers will get a 500 baht fine, would deter me too.

Since the tuk tuk mafia is running that town, and other towns, the only thing to do is stay away from them at all times. Just like one would stay away from any organised crime gang. And no, it is not just a few bad apples, virtually every tuk tuk driver in the country is a scumbag!

“It was all captured on a CCTV camera and I have got the option to press charges,” he says, “but retribution does not thrill me. I just want to warn others.”

I wouldn't worry about retribution, but spending several days in a police station pressing charges, knowing all the time that at best the attackers will get a 500 baht fine, would deter me too.

Since the tuk tuk mafia is running that town, and other towns, the only thing to do is stay away from them at all times. Just like one would stay away from any organised crime gang. And no, it is not just a few bad apples, virtually every tuk tuk driver in the country is a scumbag!

"virtually every tuk tuk driver in the country is a scumbag!" That's a load of BS.

And then when a victim goes to complain the Thai Police ask local jurnos to take images of you passport and publish them all over the internet.

Disgusting pricks.

Ya, you noticed that the name and address of the Karaoke Bar wasn't published.

I know of three fellas this scam has been used on here in Chiang mai. One guy called a couple of Tut-tut drivers we know to bail him out and the other two paid a reduced amount. In the end do not go to these places stay away from them. Believe it are not not all tut-tut drivers are bad guys.

Who in their right mind, would order a Tuk Tuk to go to a Thai Karaoke bar of all places WITHOUT agreeing on the price in advance?? I feel no sympathy and I hope the lesson has been learnt! (Even if the hard way)

I have three rules which have kept me out of somuch traoble.

1. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

2. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

3. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

any questions?

• Like 1

Steps to minimize the probability of getting into trouble with Thai people:

- Stay away from dodgy places too late at night

- Stay away from hookers too late at night

- Learn the language

- Make a positive attitude, make jokes and stuff often but be humble

- Get some Thai friends

... if you plan or you already live in Thailand, adjust.

You can still be beaten, probably, but this will minimize the chance of it happening, since it's not happening at a regular basis anyway.

I've been here for a year, never had ANY problems(and i'm walking around dodgy places alone quite often).. not to say that I won't have, but in every situation... kind words, humble and positive attitude and common sense helped a lot. Don't be an <deleted> to anybody, including tuk tuk driver.

Too many farangs behave as <deleted>, and show no respect for anything, then wonder why they're treated differently, beaten, cheated, ripped off .. or whatever.

• Like 2

tey have some pretty ass girls ther. Northern girls are by far the best, Chiang Rai tops all.

What a catch you would be. They would really like you ther

And their asses have what to do with being ripped off & beaten up ?

Edited by axact

When I lived on Onnut in Bangkok, I would try little places around the area as opposed to going to the tourist areas. I found one karaoke bar down the street and went there two or three times and would just sit there and drink and listen to everyone masacre songs and watch them get drunk. I was by myself and those times never had a girl sit with me. The DJ at the bar would sometimes come over and I'd give her a glass of my beer from my bottle, but that was it. At the end of the night the tab would be brought over and it was reasonable.

One night I was low on cash and took very little with me to the bar. By that time, I felt pretty comfortable at the bar and felt like there was no issues with me going there. For some reason, I decided to buy one of the worker girls a drink that night. I did the rest of the night like usual. When I got the tab, it was way way higher than before and I did not have enough to cover it. When I asked about the bill out of astonishment I found out that you not only pay for the drink, but for the time the girl sits with you. Literally the amount of time spent is tracked and billed to you (at least to me as a farang). I appealed to the DJ friend that I was short on the cash for paying the bill. No one got angry, but I was told I had to pay it. I said I would need to go to the ATM. Mind you, I was not exactly sure i had enough money even from the ATM to cover the bill.

I left alone and walked up the street to the closest ATM. As I turned out of the bar out of the corner of my eye I caught two guys leaving on a motorbike at the same time. They stared me down. I got to the ATM only to see the same guys standing around there... I was sick to my stomach at the impending beatdown if the ATM didn't pay off. Luckily, it pumped out just enough to cover the bill with a couple hundred to spare.

I walked back to the bar. Paid the bill and left to go home. No one followed me, but I know I was very lucky that night. I have never been back since and will never do a thai karaoke bar again... especially alone.... especially when I am low on funds. There were plenty of other small places around that were normal bars with TVs to watch sports in the area.

I think the other thing that helped me out was that I had really never learned how the bar costs worked before that night. Like I said the pricing of time spent with one of the girls was not something I was aware of and the bar knew I never had done that before. But had I not paid, I know it would not have mattered.

cheesy.gifYeah, hotel security told police to go away clap2.gif

Whats next? pigs can flyrolleyes.gif

Probably didn't tell them to go away but just explained to the police how much the hotel pays their boss for protection every month..........coffee1.gif

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

How and why hotel will help?

How would they help? I suspect the hotel management would take a dim view of a foreigner getting beaten up on their premises.

Well, they could at least call the police for him.

Always a bad idea to go to these bars. especially by tuk tuks who are on the bars pay roll

My motto is NEVER ride in a tuk tuk if you are a farang. PERIOD.

I know both men and women tuk tuk drivers. They are not all bad. Most are just trying to make a living. They all know the kickback schemes, but the more honest day time drivers are looking to take Farang to jewery and silk factories and the such. The Sh*tbirds come out at night. There are just good and bad. It just is. If you live here long enough and get to know the working Thais, you can find plenty of good people.

I stay away from the more obvious scammers ("you want lady?), trust my instincts, negotiate prices up front, and keep my conversation to using Thai. Memorize the tuk tuk number and the name on the license and see if the photo matches the dude driving the tuk tuk. Just stay aware. You don't have to be afraid.

When I lived on Onnut in Bangkok, I would try little places around the area as opposed to going to the tourist areas. I found one karaoke bar down the street and went there two or three times and would just sit there and drink and listen to everyone masacre songs and watch them get drunk. I was by myself and those times never had a girl sit with me. The DJ at the bar would sometimes come over and I'd give her a glass of my beer from my bottle, but that was it. At the end of the night the tab would be brought over and it was reasonable.

When I asked about the bill out of astonishment I found out that you not only pay for the drink, but for the time the girl sits with you. Literally the amount of time spent is tracked and billed to you (at least to me as a farang).

I heard about this, wondering if the Thais get the same treatment. Doubtful.

In any case... I still don't get why people go to karaoke bars or lady bars, cuz if you want a lady.. you can find with a little bit of effort.. part timer/freelancer girl .. many of them are quite nice, and take her out.. drink a couple, then go home with her. What's so interesting in karaoke bars ?

It amazes me how uneducated long term expats are about the Karaoke scene in Chiang Mai and how it actually works. If you're a long term expat why you getting a tuk tuk driver to take you anywhere anyway? I've been to every single Karaoke there is in Chiang Mai never had a problem and i'm sorry but karaoke is not just for Thai's and japanese.

• Like 1

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

How and why hotel will help?

I've done this many times. From Rio to Zanzibar to Vietnam, etc. Works very well. Especially if you are their guest or about to be.

They know the scams and will help their customers.

You have had to do it "many times" in many different places? You must have mark written all over you.

Oooh another armchair critic suggesting things about a person he has no knowledge of, Thaivisa experts, shoot one today

• Like 2

Used to have a neighbor living next to me here in CNX who didn't have a car. Every Monday at 10 a.m. a tuk tuk would show up - same driver each time - take him about 15 kilometers to Tesco/Big C to do his shopping, wait, then bring him home. 500 baht. So, no, not all of them are scum bags or try to rip you off.

As for the guy in this story, I find a a bit hard to accept the "long term expat" term (unless the guy is a complete idiot), as anyone who fits that description would know better than to go into a karaoke bar alone. But I will say that this is the first time I've heard of something like this happening here in Chiang Mai in the 5+ years I've been here. Maybe I don't read the CM City News as much as I should. lol.