Foreigner Beaten By Tuk-Tuk Drivers After Not Paying Extortionate Fee At Karaoke Bar

webfact

Used to have a neighbor living next to me here in CNX who didn't have a car. Every Monday at 10 a.m. a tuk tuk would show up - same driver each time - take him about 15 kilometers to Tesco/Big C to do his shopping, wait, then bring him home. 500 baht. So, no, not all of them are scum bags or try to rip you off.

As for the guy in this story, I find a a bit hard to accept the "long term expat" term (unless the guy is a complete idiot), as anyone who fits that description would know better than to go into a karaoke bar alone. But I will say that this is the first time I've heard of something like this happening here in Chiang Mai in the 5+ years I've been here. Maybe I don't read the CM City News as much as I should. lol.

Most of the news is not reported, I hear it all the time from the tourist police, and it's amazing how many guys who've lived here for years just get scammed.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck for the tuk-tuk driver who wants to best me. I always have weapons on me. Every foreigners should do the same for their safety. It is the far west here

With a weapon, even if you win - you ain't gonna win. Jail time unless you do a great disappearing act. Or maybe you end up dead or maimed. Bad idea.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai has a terrible reputation. I once stopped at a bar beer near the downtown night market. I had 3 drinks and purchased a single drink for a lady. The check bill was 4,300 baht. I asked the bar keep how could 3 drinks and 1 lady drink be so expensive? Her quote was "sorry wrong bill", here is your bill 1,800 Baht. I paid the over priced bill and never went back in. I did make sure I went to a place directly across the street from there. She saw me and asked why I did not come and see her. I told her I had 1800 Baht full of reasons.

Beware of Chiang Mai drinking holes.. They can be total rip offs and the tourist police are on there side.

I know of three fellas this scam has been used on here in Chiang mai. One guy called a couple of Tut-tut drivers we know to bail him out and the other two paid a reduced amount. In the end do not go to these places stay away from them. Believe it are not not all tut-tut drivers are bad guys.

What are you an expert are you telling people not to go? How many places have you actually been into?

How and why hotel will help?

How would they help? I suspect the hotel management would take a dim view of a foreigner getting beaten up on their premises.

Its true. I had to use this strategy last year in Yangon. I was being blackmailed by a former Burmese business partner and he showed up with 10 mafia types and 4 policeman! And I was already in the lobby of a 5 star hotel, as I had a group of businessmen in a conference room upstairs and I was getting ready to give a presentation. I was not staying at the hotel and the staff did not know me. They simply swarmed around me when these thugs showed up. They politely isolated the cops and robbers and their security walked them to the front door. I went upstairs, no questions asked. No large hotel wants blood on its floors under any circumstances. In this case the hotel was safer than the police station!

cheesy.gif Yeah, hotel security told police to go away clap2.gif

Whats next? pigs can flyrolleyes.gif

he is actually right. most, if not all reputable and self respecting hotel, the security would ask police to wait outside unless its some bigger mess with arrest warrant.

i had a accident and a dispute with a local, the local police cant even come up and the management informed me to go outside to look for them. they were literally just outside of the hotel premises.

• Like 1

It amazes me how uneducated long term expats are about the Karaoke scene in Chiang Mai and how it actually works. If you're a long term expat why you getting a tuk tuk driver to take you anywhere anyway? I've been to every single Karaoke there is in Chiang Mai never had a problem and i'm sorry but karaoke is not just for Thai's and japanese.

Here. I'll give you an example of why I occasionally use tuk tuks. I have eye problems. Once a year I need to get them checked out which requires dialation. Once my eye's are dialated, I can't see worth a hill of beans. So generally, I'll have a tuk tuk take me home. I don't want to deal with Songtawn and riding all over town. I just want to get from the hospital back to the front gate of my home as quickly as I can. Like I said before: I speak only Thai, negotiate the price up front, memorize the tuk tuk number, and I've never had a problem. I'll also use tuk tuk when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and don't want to drive.

Dont go with a tuk tuk, and double check prices before you go.

There are a few local places around me that every now and then pop into. The one girl remembers me quite well and has taken a liking to me as a customer. i have never taken her home or anything, just have a few drinks and talk. i find it a good way to practice my Thai and relax with a beer at the same time. A few times the bill has been larger than what it should and i calmly ask for a breakdown. the few times i was overcharged i was able to negotiate it down to a reasonable price. you pay for a girl by the hour (100 baht normally) but the beer is cheap compared to the western places and usually you dont need to buy them a drink but they will share a large bottle of beer with you.

one night i went and the bill came to a bit more than i expected. they had put a plate of fruit down in front of me and were eating it. i was talking with the girl i normally chat with but her friend was sitting there too. when the bill came they had charged em 150 for the fruit and two hours for both girls. i calmly explained that i never asked for the fruit or the second girl. i would be happy to pay for the fruit my companion ate but would not pay for the second girl as we never exchanged words and i had not agreed to anything with her. the owner took the deal and i went to the atm next door to get some cash for the bill, paid and left. about 5 minutes later my phone started ringing and i just silenced the call, then it rang again and again i silenced the call. the third time it rang i picked up and the girl from the bar is on the phone "__________ you need to come back, you left your ATM card in the machine and i have it for you" i had completely forgot when i gave her my number, but i checked my wallet and sure enough my ATM card was not there. walked back, picked it up and gave her a bit extra as a tip.

moral of the story: local places can be ok for westerners but you need to be careful which you go to and with whom. always double check prices and keep a smile.

I have three rules which have kept me out of somuch traoble.

1. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

2. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

3. Never take a tuk tuk anywhere ever.

any questions?

If you had to list 4 reasons what would number 4 be ?

Since I've been in Thailand I have never taken a tuk tuk anywhere. Not because I think the drivers are all scum (I hate generalizations like that), but because tuk tuks are noisy, jerk around (don't know how many times I've seen necks snapping back and forth lol) and from what I can tell they are not cheaper (based on getting a quote from a few drivers which I turned down). Also, they get stuck in traffic just like taxis so speed isn't a benefit either. I think motorbikes are the best in terms of getting around quickly through the downtown BKK traffic... they go between cars on the sidewalks... and fairly cheap.

Edited by bluecheesefan

Long term Chiang Mai expat - falls for the very well known karaoke massive overpricing scam?

Long term Chiang Mai expat - falls for the very well known tuk tuk rip offs involved with places like this?

It amazes me how uneducated long term expats are about the Karaoke scene in Chiang Mai and how it actually works. If you're a long term expat why you getting a tuk tuk driver to take you anywhere anyway? I've been to every single Karaoke there is in Chiang Mai never had a problem and i'm sorry but karaoke is not just for Thai's and japanese.

Here. I'll give you an example of why I occasionally use tuk tuks. I have eye problems. Once a year I need to get them checked out which requires dialation. Once my eye's are dialated, I can't see worth a hill of beans. So generally, I'll have a tuk tuk take me home. I don't want to deal with Songtawn and riding all over town. I just want to get from the hospital back to the front gate of my home as quickly as I can. Like I said before: I speak only Thai, negotiate the price up front, memorize the tuk tuk number, and I've never had a problem. I'll also use tuk tuk when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and don't want to drive.

Fair enough, i didn't think of that point

Good luck for the tuk-tuk driver who wants to best me. I always have weapons on me. Every foreigners should do the same for their safety. It is the far west here

Yes, and if you use it you will end up in a Thai jail for a long time, even if it was self defence. Just keep yourself to yourself, mind your own business, and be courteous to everyone, and 99% of the time you should have no problem.

• Like 2

The more I get these stories in my inbox, the more positive I am that I made the correct move getting the hell out of Thailand.

Disagree, Aaron: I've lived/worked here a bit over 20 years and I've never ran into any trouble of this kind. Of course I don't take tuk-tuks to Kareoke Bars, not to mention another 75 odd "No-No's" in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Canada, USA, OZ, and a score of other 'civilized' countries.

Oh; and before any of you start; none of this has happened to 99% of my friends here in Thailand. I guess the old adage "Prevention is better than Cure" still applies. Of course it also helps if one speaks the local language . . . a bit.

• Like 1

The only problem is if the tuk tuk driver picked you put at one hotel why would they fall for the 5 star hotel story unless they are stupid.

Most of them are stupid, that's why they are driving tuk tuks.

I thirty years in Thailand I would trust a Cobra more than I would trust a Tuk-Tuk driver as they are opertunistic carrion andprey on percieved weakness. In the early 90's I was with a group on a rugby tour from Ireland and 2 of the group had become seperated when we left the Asokee area for another bar and they got in a Tuk -Tuk to meet up with us no more tan a 10 minute ride and the driver asked for 250 Baht and a dispue arose and lasted about 15 minutes with more and more Tuk- Tuk drivers and some locals getting involved and it was becoming very aggresive with about 7 or 8 protagonists. One of our group went to the door of the bar to see what was going on and he realized that it was our mates that were in trouble. 14 quite large lads walked out on to the street and asked what the problem was. One of our group walked up to the Tuk -Tuk driver and gave him 100 baht and told him to take his xxxx else where. They left rather quickly with a a lot of Thai profanity with their tails between their legs. needless to say we hade one drink and went to another location. They really are scum and a blight on on the landscape. Had my friends been on their own there would have been blood on the streets.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

Except for one minor detail you left out. The guys who thwarted the jet ski scam attempt were paying guests at the Hilton Hotel. I wouldn't be so sure they'd help out any old drifter who walked in.

This is the third or fourth time I've heard of an incident such as this in the past six months in Chiang Mai. The Karaoke bars on Chiang Klan Rd are definitely worth avoiding. I have to say that in 7 years living here and 20 years coming and going I have regularly taken tuk-tuks and never had any kind of trouble with them. And i like a drink and, until I got married which put an end to that kind of life, I used to go to bars well into the night.

Chiang Mai is not a dangerous city nor is it a rip off city. scams can happen anywhere if you let your guard down.

• Like 2

The only problem is if the tuk tuk driver picked you put at one hotel why would they fall for the 5 star hotel story unless they are stupid.

But not as stupid as some passengers it would seem ?

• Like 2

I think during the day and at night are quite different beasts. I take the tuk tuk all the time during the day with my daughter (she loves it). In fact, the drivers have actually come to know my routine and the same drivers are often available near her school...though maybe its just their routine. The guys at Tops are also first rate and a huge help with my bags and daughter. Just depends where you are and what time of day/night it is.

• Like 1

Would you share your knowledge? It sounds like it would be possible to go and not get into trouble if I know how things worked.

I've got the basics from the other posts. You pay for every minute a girl sits with you. Pay for every drink as it comes. Have lot's of money on hand. What else?

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

Except for one minor detail you left out. The guys who thwarted the jet ski scam attempt were paying guests at the Hilton Hotel. I wouldn't be so sure they'd help out any old drifter who walked in.

In that instance, walk up to reception and tell them you'd like a room.

But not as stupid as some passengers it would seem ?

Well most visitors to Thailand seem to leave their brains at the airport.

Things like this happen in Soho London (and I suppose in all big cities in

Western countries) every day, and they no longer make headline news.

Serves this punter right !

He probably expected to get a honey pot for a fistful of twenty Baht notes !!

Yes, and if you use it you will end up in a Thai jail for a long time, even if it was self defence. Just keep yourself to yourself, mind your own business, and be courteous to everyone, and 99% of the time you should have no problem.

I do am courteous with everybody, even speaking with them in Thai. I don't start the conversation telling them I am armed. However, I prefere to be able to defend myself in case of problems and take a chance facing a judge instead of ending up in a body bag on my way back home for cremation. This country is full of crazy people ready to kill us for a few baht.

Happen to thais also : http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?32123-Crackdown-on-Karaoke-Scam

What i think this may be a new business model, you charge a lot for customers who sit with girls in the karaoke, maybe like 200 baht per minute. But customers don't know until the bill come.

Happened to my guest just last night. This is what occurred according to him.

He went into Karaoke bar where he was greeted by a sexy girl, who sat with him, he ordered drink for her and himself.

Girl then asked him to pick his favourite song, he picked 5.

He did not know or was made aware that each song cost money.

In the end it cost him 850 baht for 2 beers and 5 songs