BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Foreigner Beaten By Tuk-Tuk Drivers After Not Paying Extortionate Fee At Karaoke Bar

Good luck for the tuk-tuk driver who wants to best me. I always have weapons on me. Every foreigners should do the same for their safety. It is the far west here

Yes, and if you use it you will end up in a Thai jail for a long time, even if it was self defence. Just keep yourself to yourself, mind your own business, and be courteous to everyone, and 99% of the time you should have no problem.

• Like 2

The more I get these stories in my inbox, the more positive I am that I made the correct move getting the hell out of Thailand.

Disagree, Aaron: I've lived/worked here a bit over 20 years and I've never ran into any trouble of this kind. Of course I don't take tuk-tuks to Kareoke Bars, not to mention another 75 odd "No-No's" in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Canada, USA, OZ, and a score of other 'civilized' countries.

Oh; and before any of you start; none of this has happened to 99% of my friends here in Thailand. I guess the old adage "Prevention is better than Cure" still applies. Of course it also helps if one speaks the local language . . . a bit.

• Like 1

The only problem is if the tuk tuk driver picked you put at one hotel why would they fall for the 5 star hotel story unless they are stupid.

Most of them are stupid, that's why they are driving tuk tuks.

I thirty years in Thailand I would trust a Cobra more than I would trust a Tuk-Tuk driver as they are opertunistic carrion andprey on percieved weakness. In the early 90's I was with a group on a rugby tour from Ireland and 2 of the group had become seperated when we left the Asokee area for another bar and they got in a Tuk -Tuk to meet up with us no more tan a 10 minute ride and the driver asked for 250 Baht and a dispue arose and lasted about 15 minutes with more and more Tuk- Tuk drivers and some locals getting involved and it was becoming very aggresive with about 7 or 8 protagonists. One of our group went to the door of the bar to see what was going on and he realized that it was our mates that were in trouble. 14 quite large lads walked out on to the street and asked what the problem was. One of our group walked up to the Tuk -Tuk driver and gave him 100 baht and told him to take his xxxx else where. They left rather quickly with a a lot of Thai profanity with their tails between their legs. needless to say we hade one drink and went to another location. They really are scum and a blight on on the landscape. Had my friends been on their own there would have been blood on the streets.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

Except for one minor detail you left out. The guys who thwarted the jet ski scam attempt were paying guests at the Hilton Hotel. I wouldn't be so sure they'd help out any old drifter who walked in.

This is the third or fourth time I've heard of an incident such as this in the past six months in Chiang Mai. The Karaoke bars on Chiang Klan Rd are definitely worth avoiding. I have to say that in 7 years living here and 20 years coming and going I have regularly taken tuk-tuks and never had any kind of trouble with them. And i like a drink and, until I got married which put an end to that kind of life, I used to go to bars well into the night.

Chiang Mai is not a dangerous city nor is it a rip off city. scams can happen anywhere if you let your guard down.

• Like 2

The only problem is if the tuk tuk driver picked you put at one hotel why would they fall for the 5 star hotel story unless they are stupid.

But not as stupid as some passengers it would seem ?

• Like 2

It amazes me how uneducated long term expats are about the Karaoke scene in Chiang Mai and how it actually works. If you're a long term expat why you getting a tuk tuk driver to take you anywhere anyway? I've been to every single Karaoke there is in Chiang Mai never had a problem and i'm sorry but karaoke is not just for Thai's and japanese.

Here. I'll give you an example of why I occasionally use tuk tuks. I have eye problems. Once a year I need to get them checked out which requires dialation. Once my eye's are dialated, I can't see worth a hill of beans. So generally, I'll have a tuk tuk take me home. I don't want to deal with Songtawn and riding all over town. I just want to get from the hospital back to the front gate of my home as quickly as I can. Like I said before: I speak only Thai, negotiate the price up front, memorize the tuk tuk number, and I've never had a problem. I'll also use tuk tuk when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and don't want to drive.

I think during the day and at night are quite different beasts. I take the tuk tuk all the time during the day with my daughter (she loves it). In fact, the drivers have actually come to know my routine and the same drivers are often available near her school...though maybe its just their routine. The guys at Tops are also first rate and a huge help with my bags and daughter. Just depends where you are and what time of day/night it is.

• Like 1

It amazes me how uneducated long term expats are about the Karaoke scene in Chiang Mai and how it actually works. If you're a long term expat why you getting a tuk tuk driver to take you anywhere anyway? I've been to every single Karaoke there is in Chiang Mai never had a problem and i'm sorry but karaoke is not just for Thai's and japanese.

Would you share your knowledge? It sounds like it would be possible to go and not get into trouble if I know how things worked.

I've got the basics from the other posts. You pay for every minute a girl sits with you. Pay for every drink as it comes. Have lot's of money on hand. What else?

Tell them the cash is in your hotel room at any 5 star hotel. Once safely inside, the hotel will help. Happened to a thwarted jet ski scam attempt in Pattaya.

Except for one minor detail you left out. The guys who thwarted the jet ski scam attempt were paying guests at the Hilton Hotel. I wouldn't be so sure they'd help out any old drifter who walked in.

In that instance, walk up to reception and tell them you'd like a room.

But not as stupid as some passengers it would seem ?

Well most visitors to Thailand seem to leave their brains at the airport.

the tuk tuk mafia he should know better if he lives there .also he should know about the karoki bars.they are not that many in town to avoid

Things like this happen in Soho London (and I suppose in all big cities in

Western countries) every day, and they no longer make headline news.

Serves this punter right !

He probably expected to get a honey pot for a fistful of twenty Baht notes !!

Good luck for the tuk-tuk driver who wants to best me. I always have weapons on me. Every foreigners should do the same for their safety. It is the far west here

Yes, and if you use it you will end up in a Thai jail for a long time, even if it was self defence. Just keep yourself to yourself, mind your own business, and be courteous to everyone, and 99% of the time you should have no problem.

I do am courteous with everybody, even speaking with them in Thai. I don't start the conversation telling them I am armed. However, I prefere to be able to defend myself in case of problems and take a chance facing a judge instead of ending up in a body bag on my way back home for cremation. This country is full of crazy people ready to kill us for a few baht.

Happen to thais also : http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?32123-Crackdown-on-Karaoke-Scam

What i think this may be a new business model, you charge a lot for customers who sit with girls in the karaoke, maybe like 200 baht per minute. But customers don't know until the bill come.

Happened to my guest just last night. This is what occurred according to him.

He went into Karaoke bar where he was greeted by a sexy girl, who sat with him, he ordered drink for her and himself.

Girl then asked him to pick his favourite song, he picked 5.

He did not know or was made aware that each song cost money.

In the end it cost him 850 baht for 2 beers and 5 songs