Songkhla International School

chrisoary

Hi,

I was hoping that someone on here could give me some information about SIS. I have had a look at their website but was hoping that someone with kids attending the school or someone that teaches at the school would be able to give me some feedback.

I always planned to take the family back to the UK for schooling as the cost of international schools here in thailand are a bit out of my financial range.

But i have recently been offered an opportunity to work in Songkla and noticed the school.

The fees are way cheaper than anything in Bangkok so I was interested in finding out more. Is it a case of you get what you pay for or is it a decent school comparable to a average school in the UK?

Thanks for in advance

Chris

According to the ads I've seen for their teachers, it's Filipinos, doing the teaching, based on the salaries they offer.

According to someone I used to know there's a fairly decent international school over the border in or near Kota Bharu, Malaysia. They even have kids coming from as far afield as Canada. Around 200,000 baht all in per year.

Thanks for the information,

The website boasts of being cambridge accredited, does this not mean that they must meet certain standard regarding teachers etc? Or is this something that is given fairly easily.

Sorry if this is a daft question, my eldest is 2 1/2 and i have only just started looking in to schooling in thailand as an option. i am learning as I go at the moment.

The malaysian international school isnt really an option for me. But I am sure that others may find this usefull.

Cheers

Hi! There

I hope this will be another choice for you, Sunshine International Homeschool. That is locate in Songkhla, The school bought the curriculum WES homeschool from UK. , I am the one of the Thai's mother that have my daughter 8 years old in this school.

Hi Chris,

I have my two children at the school. I work in the oil industry and was the same as yourself. I did a bit of research on the internet and came up with Songkhla International school. There are a few adds for Fillipino teachers but they are old now as all the teaching staff are now UK teachers. And all have taught in UK schools. I think they advertise with the Time Educational Supplement online now. There was this Fairview school before but they seemed only interested in money and not the kids education and that was just fillipino teachers. The wife says the school is the only great thing about Songkhla! Hahaha..! I tend to disagree! they have a few watering holes im partial to but thats a bit off topic. As for the Cambridge credentials I know they have the curriculum and login details with my kids names on the Cambridge system. They analyse results or something the wife knows all about that stuff. I know as well the school was inspected by Cambridge before they would give them the accreditation. It's basically like any quality international school you'll find around the world and better than a state school back home (im from the UK) more like a private school education. I was in Brunei before here and it comes across as the same school there. All the other oil guys send there kids there. Im here until June and then my contract is up and I'm off to Angola!! I recommend coming before the family to see about relocation options. especially housing...the company did there best but in the end i had to drive round and round with the wife! we found a nice place in the end. If you have any other questions just post em here ill be going offshore for a last trip in three weeks and then up and off again.

Carlo

• Like 1

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post. Firstly let me introduce myself, my name is Chris Pooley and I am the Headmaster at Songkhla International School (from Cornwall, UK). I do not normally reply on forums however I felt the need this time to clarify some of the incorrect information you may have had.

Firstly, we are a Cambridge School. We have been running for around 3 years now, hence the price being lower than other established international schools. This year we have seen pupil numbers rise from around 68 children at the start of the year to over 90 children at the present time. We are very proud of our children and all of their achievements.

In reply to the comments above

"According to the ads I've seen for their teachers, it's Filipinos, doing the teaching, based on the salaries they offer'

To teach a year group at SIS ALL teachers must either hold a degree in teaching or a PGCE/bED. This shows an excellent level of education and a passion (all teachers have studied for at least four years at a university). We currently have native speakers teaching from the UK, USA and South Africa. Next year we have new teachers arriving, all of whom have UK teaching degrees. This has been a key factor in the raising of pupil attainment this academic year.

Carlo - Thanks for your kind and well informed comments.

We do employ Phillipino and Thai support staff (cooks, cleaners, assistants) and they are a vital and valued part of our support team. Without them the school could not run as well.

As Carlos has said, we use APP to assess pupils performance as well as all of the other things you would find in a UK school.

Chris - I will private message you my email address and contact details so we can talk further.

Carlos - Thanks for your positive and well informed comments about the school.

I hope this helps,

Regards

Chris Pooley

PS Please take a look at the recent video we shot at SIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAvgxwH9QA

Edited by CP SIS
  • Like 2

I think some folk are confusing The International School of Hat Yai (ISH) and Songkhla International School (SIS).

ISH claims to be "recognised by the Cambridge Education Group" which, despite its name, has nothing to do with Cambridge International Examinations. It is the same school that regularly advertises on Ajarn.com for "non native speaking English speaking teachers". SIS is registered with the Department of Education in UK, delivers the UK curriculum and appears to recruit professional teachers directly from the UK.

Edited by rajyindee