What Do You Cook/nuke In Your Microwave?

jambco984

As it says in the title.

I live in a place where I cannot cook using gas so thought I would buy a microwave grill.

So far I have only made...

Omlettes - Micro

Cheese on toast - Grill

Steak - Grill

Rice burger - Micro

Spring rolls - Grill

Are there any great meals or snacks to be had?

Obviously I am not talking gourmet 5* meals just good honest food if possible.

Thanks folks :D

It goes without saying that a microwave is less than perfect for many things but there loads and loads of things that can be quite good with some practice. As it's a matter of taste...

Google.

So what sort of tastes does SteeleJoe go for in the easy peasy ping machine?

It goes without saying that a microwave is less than perfect for many things but there loads and loads of things that can be quite good with some practice. As it's a matter of taste...

Google.

I haven't cooked in years. But my wife - a widely admired talent in the kitchen - has learned to use the nuclear device for lots of stuff. Don't really know specifics and what I do know, I'm going to avoid mentioning because it will lead to people arguing about whether something is or isn't good etc based on assumptions and their own limitations and experiences and I find arguments about things that are subjective tiresome.

Google will do it, I should think. Sorry I'm not more helpful; probably shouldn't have posted at all.

• Like 1

Google.

I haven't cooked in years. But my wife - a widely admired talent in the kitchen - has learned to use the nuclear device for lots of stuff. Don't really know specifics and what I do know, I'm going to avoid mentioning because it will lead to people arguing about whether something is or isn't good etc based on assumptions and their own limitations and experiences and I find arguments about things that are subjective tiresome.

Google will do it, I should think. Sorry I'm not more helpful; probably shouldn't have posted at all.

Its quite ok SJ, Im sure your useful in other threads more worthy than a Nuke thread :D

I was just interested in getting the wife some new recipes, anyway...

Good use of the words 'subjective and 'tiresome'.

While I am proverbially blowing your trumpet good skills in not cooking for years my good man

:D

Edited by jambco984

Google.

correct

Google.

correct

How thoughtful of you to tell him that he is correct that he hasn't cooked for years and correct that his wife is a talent in the kitchen.

Somehow I dont think your use of the word correct is in that context????

Any microwave pearls of wisdom Sir?

• Like 1

The correct was in answer to his statement: Sorry I'm not more helpful; probably shouldn't have posted at all.

He says, about his sole contribution to the thread.

Irony. Classic.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Why not try one of those convection burners. They are stand alone and don't use gas. Or a toaster oven?

We've got one of these and use it a lot:

http://www.tarad.com/product/4595736

We tend to use the micro only for heating water/soups and reheating some leftover foods.

Make sure to use proper cookware. Using plastic releases all sorts of nasties into your food!

• Like 1

whistling.gif Go on the net and search for books and recipies .... there are cookbooks on what you can cook on and with a microwave.

With a little bit of imagination and some ingenuity you can even steam a fish in a microwave.

There is ceramic cooking trays and pots that allow you to fry food (they are ceramic and non metallic so they don't arc).

You can even bake in a microwave, but some meals do require you to use those special microwave trays or pans.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

a colleague at work showed me how to make tasty microwave curries when we were living in a hotel in Hanoi and then I went on google and found microwave recipes for just about anything...opened up a whole new world...

before if I didn't have a gas or electric cooker I lacked the confidence to attempt to cook anything...a microwave cooking device will set you free, and they're cheap!

an'...ye don't even need a kitchen!...in hotel rooms do yer washin' up inn the bathroom,, etc...

• Like 1

Microwave Cheesecake

Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

·
1 pie crust (graham cracker or shortbread)

·
1 (15 ounce) can pie filling

Directions:

Combine cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.

Stir in sour cream.

Put the prepared pie crust in a glass or ceramic (pie) dish.

Pour mixture into crust and place in microwave.

Cook on medium-high power for 8-10 minutes or until center is almost set.

Chill for at least 3 hours.

Top with your favorite (pie filling) topping.

post-72929-0-37375100-1368324061_thumb.j

• Like 1

The correct was in answer to his statement: Sorry I'm not more helpful; probably shouldn't have posted at all.

Irony. Classic.

Here for the Pompous Pontificating Pedant

how to microwave corn

Wrap damp paper towel around corn, husk and all

Number of ears.......... Time

1.......... 1 1/2 min

2.......... 3 - 4 min

3.......... 5 - 6 min

4.......... 7 - 8 min

Turn the ears half way through

Edited by Langsuan Man

Irony. Classic.

Here for the Pompous Pontificating Pedant

how to microwave corn

Rap damp paper towel around corn, leave and all.

Number of ears.......... Time

1 1 1/2 min

2 3 - 4 min

3 5 - 6 min

4 7 - 8 min

Turn the ears half way through

:)

Went right over your head, dinnit?

(I'll help: I made a post encouraging the OP but giving no specifics. You make a post with no response to the OP at all, but a criticism of mine being lacking in value. That's the irony. C&P now doesn't change the humorous aspect of the previous post).

Oh, you do realize I chose that title for myself? It'd be funny if you think that insulted me.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Some Veggies come out ok in the micro, my favourite is a Cauliflower cut into pieces put into a micro dish with a couple tablespoons of water thrown in, cover and steam in the micro for about 4 minutes, then smothered in a cheese sauce

• Like 1

OP - you mentioned omelet. I make omelets too. I use a low power 3 and cook for a long time 6 to 8 minutes depending on Microwave power 800 --- 1100 watt, etc. I sometime pre-cook any veggies I put into the omelet depending on what they are. Also - in my microwave omelet I use a table spoon or so of milk and a tea spoon of cooking oil - works and taste great. I make a 'Fried Egg" in a similar way --- small bowl, tea spoon oil, power 3 for up to 6 minutes or so depending on wattage of the microwave. Of course you can cook eggs faster - but I like the predictable results lower power and more time gives.

If you don't have a water boiling / heating kitchen gadget then you can cook pasta in the microwave. Get water to near boiling - add dry pasta - cover add heat if necessary - check after about 10 minutes

There used to be sold a type of 'foil-paper' that you could use to cover meat and it would brown the outer surface. This is not the same as regular aluminum foil. Some frozen dinners come packaged this way.

• Like 1

In a similar situation to the OP ,my apartment has a microwave and I added an electric induction plate and a couple of good quality stainless steel pans ,now can cook just about anything I fancy.

My only regret was in buying a single plate and not a double.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Only my personal opinion but surviving on microwave food long term is not good for you. I've no scientific evidence to back this assertion up, but I don't feel too good after a day or two of microwaved food.

Very small doses is okay with me.

I wont be having 3 meals a day using the microwave.

So far I use it for reheating and the few things I can cook but not using it a lot.

Cheers

:D

Edited by jambco984