Illegal Taxi Drivers Beaten At Phuket Airport

webfact

Illegal taxi drivers beaten at Phuket Airport
Phuket Gazette

ta.jpg
Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut was brought up to speed about the recent spat of alleged violence at the airport. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Illegal taxi drivers still attempting to serve passengers at Phuket International Airport filed a complaint with the Phuket Governor today, alleging they have been threatened, beaten and unjustly denied a way to provide for their families.

The complaint comes just weeks after the protesting taxi drivers, operating under the Mook Andaman Cooperative, won a reprieve and were allowed to have 25 of their members join one of the two taxi companies granted a government concession to operate at the airport (story here).

“We are in trouble. We cannot pick up any customers at the airport even though we have signed the memorandum of understanding [MoU] to provide 50 taxis at the airport,” said Mook Andaman President Songtham Mekmanee.

The MoU, allowing Mook Andaman’s former “black plate” taxi drivers to continue to serve the airport, was signed in November last year when the Airports of Thailand (AOT) allowed 50 drivers to operate under the two legitimate concession holders as a temporary measure (story here).

However, the development came to a screeching halt after Phuket Mai Khao Company claimed that the Mook Andaman cars failed to meet legal standards.

The complaint filed to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut by Mr Songtham and Mook Andaman Vice President Itthipol Mekmanee claimed that five members of their cooperative had been attacked so far.

“Some have filed a complaint to the Tah Chat Chai Police, while others are too afraid of influential people to do anything,” said Mr Songtham.

“Phuket Mai Khao said they needed more time before accepting our 25 drivers,” Mr Songtham said. “But this is just an excuse to keep us from serving the airport.”

Muummagaree Jatae, a Mook Andaman driver who was allegedly attacked, spoke with the Phuket Gazette.

“On April 27, I was walking around the domestic departure gate waiting for customers when about five men came out of nowhere and attacked me. They hit me on the head and shoulders right in front of the airport security staff. The staff did nothing until other people tried to stop the men,” he said.

“I’ve never had a conflict with anyone. I believe I was attacked because the men didn’t want me to pick up customers from the airport,” he added.

Another driver allegedly attacked was Manote Tiamsaen.

“On Wednesday, I was walking near the airport metered taxi counter and a foreigner asked me where the counter was, so I pointed him in the right direction,” Mr Manote told the Gazette.

“At that moment, three men attacked me. I know two of them, but I didn’t file a complaint to police,” he said.

“I have been working as a taxi driver at the airport for years – if I can’t work here, I have nowhere else to go.”

Governor Maitri, brought up to date about the situation, explained that the issue would be raised with the AoT Phuket director Prathuang Sornkham and he assigned Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongtada to take charge of the situation.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Illegal-taxi-drivers-beaten-at-Phuket-Airport-21012.html

[pg]2013-05-11[/pg

Chalerm - how long ago - a corruption free Phuket and other holiday destinations within three months.

And meanwhile, Governor Maitri 'assigned Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongtada to take charge of the situation to waste even more money from the provincial budget by setting up yet another meaningless committee which will not resolve anything.'

• Like 2

This Phuket taxi mafia operated for more than 20 years with the help of the phuket governor , everything is just about MONEY ... nothing else. Another good reason to avoid going to Phuket.

I will never go there again and i never recommend someone to go there. I got my own xpirience about their scams. Let them enjoy phuket for them self. Sihanoukville is a much nicer place and easy to reach by car, by the way and it's not spoild ub yet.

• Like 1

ILLEGAL taxi driver make a complaint, as he receives a slap!

Slap him again for good measure!

Illegal business operater, complains about illegal activity to the govenor about his role in an illegal cartel - you cant make this sh!t up

• Like 2

This Phuket taxi mafia operated for more than 20 years with the help of the phuket governor , everything is just about MONEY ... nothing else. Another good reason to avoid going to Phuket.

I will never go there again and i never recommend someone to go there. I got my own xpirience about their scams. Let them enjoy phuket for them self. Sihanoukville is a much nicer place and easy to reach by car, by the way and it's not spoild ub yet.

My gf and I did a visa run there last year. Easily accessible by car from where? Thailand Not even close. The potholes in the long road from Koh Chang to Snooky actually broke our taxi's axle. The beaches are tidal flats with no surfing, no snorkeling and no diving. Beach touts are 10x worse than Phuket and relentless. There is a que of them waiting to approach you. (That's not a joke) There is a farang man carrying two Cambodian toddlers roaming the beach begging from the Cambodians. It's a dirty, smelly dust bowl of a town with anti child sex posters in your face on every wall, billboard, on the side of every tuk tuk, on stickers in every hotel room, and on shirts worn by locals. Electricity half the time and internet half of that. No thank you,never again.

• Like 1

"I have been ripping of poor unsuspecting tourists at the airport for years if I cant work here, I have nowhere else to go." This guy will never get a penny out of me, it is because of the bad reputation of these crooks that I will never set foot in places like Phukhet, Samui or Pattaya.

Just read the post by NamadJoe regarding Sihanoukville and agree with him 100%, although I thought he was being kind to the place. I went there in 2007 and found the place to be a scam back then, and crawling with seedy characters perving at young boys. Would not go back there again or Cambodia in general for that matter. Wish all the clowns who run Thailand down on TV would move to Sihanoukville tomorrow.

• Like 1

I predicted this outcome of the taxis and tuk tuk drivers turning on themselves months ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/611549-the-end-of-the-phuket-tuk-tuk/

"And, under the stark light of falling demand, the oversupply of tuk tuks
will be manifestly obvious, and the drivers, already having violently
culled all the legal transportation competitors on the island, will
start to feed on themselves."

Let the feeding continue...

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

Chalerm - how long ago - a corruption free Phuket and other holiday destinations within three months.

And meanwhile, Governor Maitri 'assigned Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tippayapongtada to take charge of the situation to waste even more money from the provincial budget by setting up yet another meaningless committee which will not resolve anything.'

"Chalerm will rid the Tourism Industry of the mafia in 90 days." June 22, 2012

Time was up Sept. 22, 2012. I guess he was too busy with his many other commitments rolleyes.gif

Edited to chng Sept. 22, 2013 to 2012

Edited by Dap

Time was up Sept. 22, 2013. I guess he was too busy with his many other commitments rolleyes.gif

Think you have your timeline wrong.

The main culprit for the airport taxi situation is AOT BTW, milking the last setang out of the contracts.

• Like 1

Time was up Sept. 22, 2013. I guess he was too busy with his many other commitments rolleyes.gif

Think you have your timeline wrong.

The main culprit for the airport taxi situation is AOT BTW, milking the last setang out of the contracts.

I stand corrected and will edit shortly. Mis-typed and should read Sept. 22, 2012.

Thanks for that mate.

• Like 2

Its horrible landing in Phuket.
We where scammed before and so decided to book a rental car in advance. However we where followed to the hire car
company and 3 dangerous looking scruffs wouldn't let me leave. They surrounded and threatened me for not saying "No thank
you" in a polite enough manner, apparently I had made one of these taxi boys lose face.
They went on and on inside the airport. stood in my way wouldn't let me get away, hows that polite!?!. Mai Al Khrap, Mai Al Khrap.

If my wife hadn't been there to neutralize the situation I was sure I would have got a bad kicking. Nasty pieces of work.

I wonder how long before we see an "airport blockade?" smile.pngsmile.png

If they ever roll out the new airport buses which are currently gathering dust due to threats by competition, you may see a blockade at each end of the line. The Phuket Mai Khao Co. at one end, the Kata/Karon Transport Co-op at the other.

The taxi cartel, which the Phuket government and police indirectly support and nurture, maintains prices at such a high level that it's hardly surprising that anyone who owns a car in the province wants to nuzzle up to the trough. If you saw your neighbour work 3 hours a day in an unskilled job and earn more than you do in a week, Hell, you'd want some, too! Of course, a cartel wouldn't be a cartel if they let just anyone join. Windfall profits from artificial monopolies have to protected by erecting barriers to entry --- in this case, the threat of violence. The only answer in the long term is to dismantle the cartel but there is no one in any position of authority in Phuket with an interest in killing the goose that lays so many golden eggs.

A cartel?? the Arabs have a cartel....you want oil you pay...supply and demand...when the demand goes away...the prices drop ( see the real world.. US shale oil)......taxis are the same...don't like the service...don't use them.

Want to go from the airport to Patong? pre book a bus or hire car...not that hard. The taxis are there for the tourists trade who generally have bucketloads of cash relatively speaking and don't care about the 2 or 3 hundred Baht extra on the fare.

"I have been ripping of poor unsuspecting tourists at the airport for years if I cant work here, I have nowhere else to go." This guy will never get a penny out of me, it is because of the bad reputation of these crooks that I will never set foot in places like Phukhet, Samui or Pattaya.

And this is the rub. Or it should be - MM is not the only one to swear off Phuket - I just won't go somewhere with this kind of reputation. So come on TAT. What are you going to do about it? What are you going to do a about the fact that I will go to Malaysisia or maybe even Burma (there's an idea) next time I want to feel a sea breeze?

Obvs they don't care about me, why would they? There's plenty more from where I'm from. Or is there? Oh, that's OK, we don't want to concentrate on that kind of tourist, East Europeaans, bigger spenders.

So now the drivers of Phuket are starting to reap what they had previously planted, and have feasted very well off in the last few years. The old fashioned type of tourist who have kept them in work for decades are not bothering to come back now, so apart from an occasional random tourist, all they're getting is the left-overs.

The tourists that are coming in are coming in from India, China and Russia and unlike those Farang-types who were a little bit on the independent side, these new ones are not such an adventurous lot. Either that or they've heard horror stories and are coming on prepaid, pre-arranged,pre-conditioned, pre-everythinged packages.

I doubt they'll be happy with what they'll get. It's their own fault; it was all totally avoidable. I used to to like Phuket. I miss going there. Maybe in a few years I'll be a able to go again.

• Like 1

Quite obviously, the only reason anybody works at all is for MONEY. Surely that was (is) your reason as well?