BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
cardholder

Fined 15,000 Baht For "smuggling"

Maybe you were 'marked' at the point of sale since you bought 5 times the permitted amount.

Let you keep 2 packs of ciggies because that was the allowance for you and wife. As to the beer, obviously they were whisky drinkers..

Do not know what the official fine rates for 'smuggling' are, but since the op himself bought 5 times the allowance, distributed them to other people and the collected them on the Thai side he, in my view, guilty of smuggling.

Next time better to let each adult buy there own allowance and, as suggested,, collect from them the next day.

Each person came in with their single pack. Who is smuggling?

Maybe you were 'marked' at the point of sale since you bought 5 times the permitted amount.

Let you keep 2 packs of ciggies because that was the allowance for you and wife. As to the beer, obviously they were whisky drinkers..

Do not know what the official fine rates for 'smuggling' are, but since the op himself bought 5 times the allowance, distributed them to other people and the collected them on the Thai side he, in my view, guilty of smuggling.

Next time better to let each adult buy there own allowance and, as suggested,, collect from them the next day.

I understand your point and it is well made.

However, at the pointg of sale the vendor asked me how many people the purchase was for - hence the individually packed cartons.

Did I break the law ? - I ask this as a genuine question.

Edited by cardholder

But the people carrying the goods did not buy them. They were carrying them for someone else. ergo

not sure how that is relevant, it is legal to purchase as much as you want in country, the limitation is how much any individual can carry across the border

• Like 2

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if

i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

ii) the quantity are reasonable; and

iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free
personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

• Like 1

not sure how that is relevant, it is legal to purchase as much as you want in country, the limitation is how much any individual can carry across the border

Not trying to start any arguments but I thought, maybe erroneously, that the duty free allowance had to belong to the person carrying it across the border, in this case it did not.

edit ..posted same time as PoorSucker above.

Edited by ThaidDown

Next time one should wear a Google Glasses and film those disgusting lowlife xxxxxxxx, then post it everywhere on the internet...

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

But the people carrying the goods did not buy them. They were carrying them for someone else. ergo
Why should it matter who bought them? Each person was carrying their allowed amount. ergo .....

Next time one should wear a Google Glasses and film those disgusting lowlife xxxxxxxx, then post it everywhere on the internet...

That's a clever idea.

Nothing bad could possibly happen for doing so.

Jeesh and you dont even smoke! So I guess you will not be doing it again?

But far fetched this story for me.

I was taken in but when customs followed op and his wife and then the mention of a Cambodian snitch.

Mmm..

Not for me this one

Good luck.

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if

i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

ii) the quantity are reasonable; and

iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free

personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses;

If for personal use,this can include smoking them, gifting them, or if so inclined, depostiting them where the sun don't shine!

Cardholder committed no criminal offence.

5 Adults passed through the border from Cambodia to Thailand, with their personal allowance of 1 carton of cigarettes each. It matters not who bought them on the Cambodian side.

Is there a lawyer in the house who will take this case on, and take the corrupt customs officials to court?

My brother in law, married to a Khmer went to Cambodia to visit the relatives and on his way back he did the same. Each adult of the group bought one carton of cigarettes. Back in Thailand the group split and he went on with his wife and the cigarettes. Shortly later police stopped him and fined him for smuggling. In his case it was 5000Thb, which is for him more than a month income. As you said before, Thais are targeted as well.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

In Europe the same. Customs can also stop you 40 clicks inland. If you have too much ciggies or booze in your car (exceeds the allowance for each person in the car), you get fined.

When you informed them you just dropped of 4 other familiesmembers, you still get fined. No any difference.