Fined 15,000 Baht For "smuggling"

cardholder

Maybe you were 'marked' at the point of sale since you bought 5 times the permitted amount.

Let you keep 2 packs of ciggies because that was the allowance for you and wife. As to the beer, obviously they were whisky drinkers..

Do not know what the official fine rates for 'smuggling' are, but since the op himself bought 5 times the allowance, distributed them to other people and the collected them on the Thai side he, in my view, guilty of smuggling.

Next time better to let each adult buy there own allowance and, as suggested,, collect from them the next day.

I understand your point and it is well made.

However, at the pointg of sale the vendor asked me how many people the purchase was for - hence the individually packed cartons.

Did I break the law ? - I ask this as a genuine question.

I think you just 'bent' it a bit.

• Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Hat Lek they sell Cambo ciggies at Cambo prices. This is on the Thai side. The same deal at Ban Packard. Actually crossing into Cambo itself to get them is new to me.

Edited by Fullstop

Hmmmm, so if someone were to hypothetically occasionally send motorcycle Taxis into Laos for a couple boxes of Beer Lao would that be considered legal?

no it would not be legal as the intention is to avoid duty. and a minor point motor bikes are not allowed into or out of laos

[ and a minor point motor bikes are not allowed into or out of laos

I've ridden my Thai registered PCX to Vientiane twice. As long as you have the green book and the bikes in your name ... it's a painless 5 minute process at the border. (and free!)

Unless you're talking about motorbike taxis (not having books?) ... but if they had the correct paperwork, they could do it too.

Edited by Fullstop

I've ridden my Thai registered PCX to Vientiane twice. As long as you have the green book and the bikes in your name ... it's a painless 5 minute process at the border.

Unless you're talking about motorbike taxis (not having books?) ... but if they had the correct paperwork, they could do it to.

my mistake i have been misinformed then

The important lesson here for all the kids is, give up smoking.

It is a disgusting habit and costs you a fortune, both in health and the pocket.

Another important lesson to learn is that preaching the pros and cons of smoking to the addicted is a total waste of time. Don't do it anymore! You'll thank me on your death bed when you realise all extra hours of life you enjoyed by refraining. Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 1

is it possible it was your wife that took a % as she was the only one who knew where you and the contraband was at all times

nice guy hate to be your wife with that sort of stinking thinking.

He was stitched up and ripped off by greedy aholes.

• Like 2

I've ridden my Thai registered PCX to Vientiane twice. As long as you have the green book and the bikes in your name ... it's a painless 5 minute process at the border. (and free!)

Unless you're talking about motorbike taxis (not having books?) ... but if they had the correct paperwork, they could do it too.

And while in Laos does your existing motor bike insurance policy cover you?

Just a scam .theives whether it was fake or genuine customs officials the 14000 baht was pocketed by them . This is the LOS .AND IT AINT SMILES

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly you are allowed to illegally depart thailand to go shopping and then enter cambodia illegally and return to thailand illegally and get stitched up as well. sounds a great place to go shopping with everyone a winner except the poor sucker expat.

That hurt. sad.png

is it possible it was your wife that took a % as she was the only one who knew where you and the contraband was at all times

and have you never heard of thai ladies that will take every last baht from their boyfriend/husband and then move on to the next victim

I've ridden my Thai registered PCX to Vientiane twice. As long as you have the green book and the bikes in your name ... it's a painless 5 minute process at the border.

Unless you're talking about motorbike taxis (not having books?) ... but if they had the correct paperwork, they could do it to.

my mistake i have been misinformed then

Obviously. - about many things. :)

• Like 1

and have you never heard of thai ladies that will take every last baht from their boyfriend/husband and then move on to the next victim

Good point. I think she has systematically been reducing my wealth over the last 8 years - still, she has at least another 10m Baht to go before she even gets close to either of my two UK wives!

• Like 2

They exist in every country in the world, you have a point to make ? I'm sure there are no more scheming ladies per capita here than any other country in the free world.

You always here of the poor farang that got taken to the cleaners but the many more successful relationships are just not news worthy so those with limited IQ make the leap of turning myth into fact.

Of course farangs never mistreat their Thai ladies..........

And while in Laos does your existing motor bike insurance policy cover you?
Which one? Gov 3rd party? It's useless even in Thailand as far as I'm concerned. So it's a moot point.

..or private insurance? No idea. Don't use it. In the unlikely event my bike is totally written off ... I could handle the expense of buying another one. Presuming I'm still alive that is!

Edited by Fullstop

What you did do wrong was to believe some fools. Did you even see their ID's?

I've been stopped by these chaps and seen their ID, they are the real deal.

Could you let Harry know I might not be there on Tuesday - funds depleted ;(

About law being broken: You would be guilty if you were stopped at

the border with over the allowed amount, however you were stopped way

after that and at this point it is not relevant, only because you, wife,

sister etc can each bring certain amount and give it to whoever they

like, in your case they chose to give it to you-perfectly legal.

Rubbish, if you read the "customs laws" of most country's "duty free goods are for personal consumption/ use"

Bringing goods into a country, evading the taxes etc, for another person or sale is illegal.

Trapping people in the carpark, handing over Duty Free Good, at Changi airport Singapore, was not uncommon, they used the CCTV as evidence.

Just in case you failed to read the OP, it was for personal use NOT for salerolleyes.gif

OP chose to give "his" to his friends and there is no law against that. IF OP had a store selling it, then your post might actually be worth something

• Like 1

whats the topic again wife,bike or smuggling,i need a laydown now

The topic is "Did the OP smuggle 5 cartons of cigarettes from Cambodia into Thailand"?

The answer - based on his OP - is clearly Yes. smile.png

No it is not!

smug·gle
/ˈsməgəl/
Verb
  1. Move (goods) illegally into or out of a country:
  2. Convey (someone or something) somewhere secretly and illicitly.

No goods were illegally conveyed into Thailand.! The goods brought in were within each persons duty free quota! Each person (as they always are) was vetted on leaving Cambodia by Cambodian immigration to ensure they had not more than their allowance

Just slightly off topic,but where can I buy packs of 200 cigs international brand,or loose tobacco in Bkk?

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Bangkok, you should be looking for some fresh air, and not some more poisoning....