Fined 15,000 Baht For "smuggling"

cardholder

However if each of the 100 people each with their own money (yours if you give them in advance) buy 1 carton of ciggies, 4 cans of beer, and leave Cambodia individually, enter Thailand and then depart as they came, meeting up with you later away from the border and distributing their goodies I would not regard that as smuggling.

Correct.

However, if "you" gave them money for the purpose of buying 1 carton each, but to give to you once back in Thailand, the ciggies would not be theirs'. 

And if the intention was to evade customs duty, that is smuggling.

Edit: for longstebe - intention is exactly the point.

The ciggies weren't his.

To evade the customs he would have had to hide all the ciggies or done a runner thru the border.

We're going around an around here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be rather indiscreet of you to be seen to buy all the ciggies and beer, and then distribute them before exiting Cambodia.

Didn't Cardholder say " I did what I have done before - bought 20 cans of Angkor (packed 4 per bag) and 5 cartons of Marlborough lights - also packed in individual bags. When we left each adult took out their allotted allowance"

Sounds indiscreet to me blink.png

( sorry if I'm repeating things that have already been said but I did come into this debate later than others smile.png )

I think it would be rather indiscreet of you to be seen to buy all the ciggies and beer, and then distribute them before exiting Cambodia.

Didn't Cardholder say " I did what I have done before - bought 20 cans of Angkor (packed 4 per bag) and 5 cartons of Marlborough lights - also packed in individual bags. When we left each adult took out their allotted allowance"

( sorry if I'm repeating things that have already been said but I did come into this debate later than others )

I am sorry BOLOA, that I won't be able to invite you to share an Angkor beer with me, as I bought 8 cans and gave my wife 4 to cross the border with.

You would not want to be associated with a smuggler, I feel sure!smile.png

( sorry if I'm repeating things that have already been said but I did come into this debate later than others )

I am sorry BOLOA, that I won't be able to invite you to share an Angkor beer with me, as I bought 8 cans and gave my wife 4 to cross the border with.

You would not want to be associated with a smuggler, I feel sure!smile.png

I think you and a few others can't just face up to the fact that 'Cardholder 'has been fined for bending the rules.For some people its all about technicalities !!

If he had gone down the route of pleading 'Not Guilty' and going through with the whole legal process ,do you think the outcome would have been any different ?

And if so....... if you ever got caught doing the same thing as CH would you pay the fine or plead 'Not Guilty' ?

Yes we are all guilty of minor wrong doings every day.....I could make a whole list but I can't be bothered but I know you know where I'm coming from.

I sometimes pop to the Village shop on my Motorcy without a crash helmet,a 200 baht fine if I'm caught,I know the risks ......not only to my wallet but to my life as well.

We all make choices, when I make a choice that is wrong I hold my hands up !!!

BTW...And as you well know I would have a Free Beer with you at any time PN biggrin.png

Edited by boloa

Everyone make sure you're not caught holding someone else's duty free when you come in to the country. You'll get done for smuggling.

To the contrary - you probably won't.

But Cardholder did, and for the benefit of all of us, he posted his experience.

But if you do get caught, just recognise the fact you broke the law, and have suffered the consequences.

It ain't rocket science. smile.png

• Like 1

Sounds like a loose lips sinks ships case to me. You know lots of things happen in Thailand that no one ever talks about, It's a good policy.

Customs waiting for you to show up at your friends house. Someone has been talking to much, OP or otherwise.

To the Op if I were you I would assume that I am marked as an easy target now. I think I would just stop. Hope your friend paid the fine, since the cigs were his.

Forgot years ago it was the same thing at the Mexico border. One carton was it and no more. I paid my smuggling fine there, they asked me and I told them the truth four. Cost of doing businesscheesy.gif

Edited by ray23

What a pity we don't all live near Cardholder.

We could all meet up, and drink the 20 cans of Angkor beer he has stashed away, provide a few cans of Leo, Archa or whatever individuals preferred tipple is and have a good laugh about the rights and wrongs of customs and smuggling! thumbsup.gif

Chok -dee!

I'd prefer to drink Lao beer. Even a better laugh.........giggle.gif

What a pity we don't all live near Cardholder.

We could all meet up, and drink the 20 cans of Angkor beer he has stashed away, provide a few cans of Leo, Archa or whatever individuals preferred tipple is and have a good laugh about the rights and wrongs of customs and smuggling! :thumbsup:

Chok -dee!

PCN, you can bugger of! :-) After shelling out 14k there is only one place those Angkor beers are going :-)

• Like 1

Scum bags, nay, more like Smeg Heads

bth_red_dwarf.jpg

I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comatosed

Drinking fresh mango juice

Goldfish shoals, nibbling on my toes

Fun, Fun, Fun in the Sun, Sun, Sun

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

not sure how that is relevant, it is legal to purchase as much as you want in country, the limitation is how much any individual can carry across the border

Not trying to start any arguments but I thought, maybe erroneously, that the duty free allowance had to belong to the person carrying it across the border, in this case it did not.

edit ..posted same time as PoorSucker above.

But wouldn't that mean a traveler cannot buy a bottle of alcohol or carton of cigs as a gift for someone else at a duty free shop? After all, it would not be for the personal use of the person buying it.