Russian Dies In Horrific Road Crash In Jomtien

webfact

horrific accident , I guess this guy was not "used" to drive such powerful motorcycle ..Maybe the rental could ask the people some proper driving license ... shoking one more time .

Yes, and, maybe the stories of the of the motorcycle taxi rider and the driver of the Honda City arte a total fabrication. Wouldn't be the first time would it they lies would be more advantageous

that being honest.

And of course it must have been the Russians fault because had he not been in the country it would not (could not) have happened.

You should hope that an intelligence test never becomes a visa requirement.

Imagine an intelligence test for the Thai Politicians, immigration staff and the BIB. There would be very few of them left.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big bike, high speed and another horrific accident.

Terrible for the emergency services to deal with and also shocking for those who witnessed this. A body sliced in two cannot be a pretty sight for anyone except the most gruesome.

Oh I think you will find plenty of Thais there with cameras ready for the facebook extravaganza.

I've always said that it makes no sense to rent a bike like that in Pattaya with the roads and all the traffic. There is no place to drive it how it is meant to be driven. Too much power in too small of an area. Back home in the States I have a Ninja ZX-7 such as the guy died on, but for Pattaya I bought a Suzuki Skydrive 125.

A 125cc motorbike is enough for anyone anywhere except the racetrack.

Russians are a breed unto themselves. Remember discover scuba Russian asking if he could take my diving knife on his dive ( Noooo ). Anyway, he slipped his instructor/ guide and disappeared for 60 mins, surfacing about a mile away.

RIP ( no pun intended )

horrific accident , I guess this guy was not "used" to drive such powerful motorcycle ..Maybe the rental could ask the people some proper driving license ... shoking one more time .

having a drivers license doesnt automatically mean you have a brain, we rent bikes and always advise the renters thailand roads are extremely dangerous and to drive slowly, i am sorry for the guys family but we always see this kind of reckless driving usually from thais that we all complain about that put our lives at risk

having a motorbike license from a country that actually has a motorbike test is at least some indication you might know what you are doing

Big bike, high speed and another horrific accident.

Terrible for the emergency services to deal with and also shocking for those who witnessed this. A body sliced in two cannot be a pretty sight for anyone except the most gruesome.

The emergency services personnel seemed to 'deal' with the gruesome sight rather well, going by the photographs.

Nice trophy pictures to show the grandkids.

having a drivers license doesnt automatically mean you have a brain, we rent bikes and always advise the renters thailand roads are extremely dangerous and to drive slowly, i am sorry for the guys family but we always see this kind of reckless driving usually from thais that we all complain about that put our lives at risk

If you rent bikes, do you rent BIG bikes to people who do not have a full bike licence ?? People who rent bikes on holiday

will have accidents from time to time but Thai cities and bikes over 250cc are unnecessary. I may be wrong but I would

suggest that experienced riders who have a full licence are unlikely to want a big bike.

license or no license - probably wouldn't make any difference.

Sorry about the death, but it's a good thing no one else was seriously injured or killed.

For sure ! Mostly those types (pretending "get out of the way, im here on my iron horse") have a pretty young half naked Thai gal on the back seat... coffee1.gif

Yes, and, maybe the stories of the of the motorcycle taxi rider and the driver of the Honda City arte a total fabrication. Wouldn't be the first time would it they lies would be more advantageous

that being honest.

And of course it must have been the Russians fault because had he not been in the country it would not (could not) have happened.

You should hope that an intelligence test never becomes a visa requirement.

Shouldn't matter much as it sure doesn't seem to be a nationality requirement.

Edited by atyclb

Last time I wanted to rent a big bike I realized I'd forgotten my drivers license (has motorcycle validation) No problem for rental, the only license required was red, purple, and or the color of 1000 baht notes. I didn't rent since I did not want to be extorted by police for no license.

If you rent bikes, do you rent BIG bikes to people who do not have a full bike licence ?? People who rent bikes on holiday

will have accidents from time to time but Thai cities and bikes over 250cc are unnecessary. I may be wrong but I would

suggest that experienced riders who have a full licence are unlikely to want a big bike.

It depends where you live, where you drive to. I have a 250 and it's much better for the roads I drive on than a scooter. A 650cc (don't know where the got the 750cc as Thailand doesn't make a kawa in a 750cc here) is fine IF the rider is sensible.

If you take trips out of Bangkok (or any city) a bigger bike is also easier and safer to rider.

Experienced riders are fine, it's the unexperienced ones with no license who think riding a bike is the same as riding a scooter.

I wonder what the statistics are for death and serious accidents on big bikes in Thailand. They are dangerous machines not amusement park rides.

All rentals should be limited to 125cc and a valid driving license.

I personally escaped a nanny state and if you need that type of regulation in your life I suggest leaving Thailand.

Personal choice, so a very small percentage die but 99% have fun safely. Ban this and that because a few die, might as well live in a prison ! lets ban cars they kill people too................

• Like 1

Shocking crash indeed.The guy must of been going some speed to of been cut in half.

The really sad thing about this is that the next victim is just around the corner.They'll go out on their rented bike thinking they're invincible and with an attitude like " it'll never happen to me" . sad.png

A proper driving licence doesn't count for much without experience on these humungus motorcycles.

It is basically ridiculous having them on urban streets. blink.png

So we have had the full spectrum of comments from " he got what he deserved" I would love to know why he deserved it and then we have the parade of blame the rental guys. The fact is nobody deserves to die this way but accidents do happen even to the most experienced riders so the one blessing nobody else lost their life and again another tragic accident and a family somewhere in grief.

that being honest.

He was cut in half!!!! It probably was his fault...haven't seen any autobahn in jomtien lately!

A case of too much bike for someone who was most likely under skilled in riding and possibly intoxicated. Sad to see young lads...including many military serviceman come here with a big wad in their wallet and an ego of "I'm invincible"....only to get in over their head in hurry on one of these large engine bikes.

In this case....even the helmet did not help. Yeeeeck bah.gif

Big bikes are not the problem, like guns , it's the people who use them. Yes, they are fast and the roads here (and the drivers) are dangerous. Speed is governed by visibility and road conditions. I had bikes when i was young, these days they are much more powerful, but i started here again on small bikes and gradually went up in cc and performance. It's like anything else, it's an apprenticeship. Even Valentino Rossi started on 125 cc !!!

People die here on scooters and big bikes all the time. Couple years back I saw an article about a Canadian killed on a Harley on the same day I was told a friend of mine (also Canadian) had been in an accident on his Harley. Turns out it was 2 different people on the same day, both Canadians, both on Harleys (mine friend was touch and go for awhile, the other guy wasn't so lucky. That's what happens when you decide to whip around a braking baht bus, only to find that he was braking because a pedestrian was crossing the road and you swerve head-on into a parked baht bus on the other side of the road.)

But there are also numerous stories of people getting killed on scooters, like the guy flying along Sukhumvit that decided to pass a (car/truck/something) on the right-side, only to run straight into a concrete barrier. Or the guy driving his scooter in the rain and going face-first into a storm drain that was missing the cover. Not to mention all the stories of all the Thais that get wiped out while riding scooters around the city. Barely a day goes by without seeing an accident somewhere.

No license ? No problem. Get a 200 baht fine and you're good for a week (if you get caught). Happened to me twice recently. First time I was waiting for my replacement International Driving Permit to arrive in the mail. Thought I was screwed and called my friend to come get the bike (as I assumed they wouldn't let me drive it after I paid the fine). But, showed my receipt to the guy with the keys and off I went. The next time, I had my IDP but had left it with Harley while I was out on the scooter. Same thing, paid 200 baht and was allowed to carry on.

Too many people come here and jump onto bikes they have no business riding, and think they are god's gift to driving, and don't have a clue what it's really like driving here. I've been riding big and small bikes here for what, 8 years now, and pretty much everyday I see something that makes me shake my head and wonder "why".

• Like 1

Wise words but we are talking about a 750cc motorbike. There is no need for more than a twist and go for getting around.
Not everyone like to sit on a ladybike. I myself prefere Enduro Style bikes, because the bad roads and potholes. But no ladybike, thanks. Then it's better to sit in a song tew taxi.

I wonder what the statistics are for death and serious accidents on big bikes in Thailand. They are dangerous machines not amusement park rides.

That sounds like good advice to me. Does anybody really think that a young guy would hire a powerful machine and then observe the speed limits and practice safe and courteous riding? Testosterone wins again. Som nam nah. Commiseration for friends and family.

Even riding a 125cc machine is fraught with peril. The road accident figures show that this is so.

I personally escaped a nanny state and if you need that type of regulation in your life I suggest leaving Thailand.

Personal choice, so a very small percentage die but 99% have fun safely. Ban this and that because a few die, might as well live in a prison ! lets ban cars they kill people too................

This is not about being a nanny state, it's about protecting others. What if this guy was speeding down the road and ran into you, or someone you knew, or lost control and hit you coming the other way on your scooter. It's about protection of OTHER people. Rentals should be limited to 125cc only, UNLESS you have a full valid motorbike license, which most of the renters do not.

A proper driving licence doesn't count for much without experience on these humungus motorcycles.

It is basically ridiculous having them on urban streets. blink.png

The same is said for a car. It's the people using them not the machines themselves as other's have said. But having a license increase the probability that you have the experience. It reduces the chance that they are inexperienced.

...maybe the stories of the of the motorcycle taxi rider and the driver of the Honda City arte a total fabrication. Wouldn't be the first time would it they lies would be more advantageous

that being honest.

From this and a few other posts it's frankly rather clear - you've got issues. I'm sorry for whatever trauma you experienced that contributed to the state you are in but you make yourself look really foolish...

that being honest.

In some cases I might agree with you, but it's rather obvious that this idiot was definitely traveling at a high rate of speed in order for his body to be cut in half. Nope, this time it's a clear case of stupid falang driving stupid.

Expect the unexpected should be the rule to live by. Reason to drive less than top speed is so that there is time to react to those missing man hole covers, pedestrians, song taews, etc, and avoid becoming grist for TVFs like this. haste makes wasted....