Russian Dies In Horrific Road Crash In Jomtien

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he have a drivers license? The hiring places are very lax in checking

Doesn't matter, as outside bangkok people pay 500 baht to get them without a test.

Doesn't matter as the driving test is a joke, as long as you drive around without falling off your bike you will get the licence, you get the licence but you have zero knowledge on how to do an emergency brake, dangers of driving a motorbike etc.. the test is designed for a honda dream not a big bike..

I just walked home from walking street and spotted a russian looking guy on a big red bike: no helmet, no protective gear but he was in a real hurry to go somewhere he was in full throttle mode :rolleyes:

Sad story, but driving in Thailand is a gamble no matter what or where you drive. It is the 6th most dangerous country to drive in of all countries around the world, and I assume it's not 100% because of the farang's driving habits...

Driving a car, elephant, boat, scooter, bike and also walking, drinking, sleeping and using public transportation is a gamble in the LOS especially if you are a Farang.
This ought to be interesting:

Why is it especially dangerous to be a Farang?

Because Farang aren't used to the Thai driving habits, we didn't grow up with the wreckless driving habits as the locals do. At least not where I'm from, we have penalties and repercussions to our bad actions. Might be different for others depending on where you're from (Russian dash cam videos are funny).

There's some very rough patches on that road which could cause a bike traveling at high speed to lose control.

This is true, but as a rather long straight road with relatively little traffic and hardly any buildings or pedestrians at the far end, I suspect that it does attract a lot of people on large bikes who are tempted to ride at high speed (or in cars too, for that matter).

And just this morning while riding down the same stretch of road at 60klm/h what do I see? What appeared to be a person of Arab extraction with no helmet, shorts, flip-flops, fanging what I think was a GSXR600 (single pipe) down the road towards me in what I'm sure was 2nd gear. The rev limiter was cutting in - so this dude is doing 200klm/h+. He probably couldn't find 3rd gear.

A baht bus casually rolls out of the Soi opposite the village called Baan Fah Rimhaad and the rider panics and hits the brakes - he was maybe 200mtrs from the intersection so plenty of space to slow to a reasonable speed or even stop in that distance. But obviously this idiot didn't know what the front brake is for because he only applied rear brakes. Tyre smoke everywhere and the bike hardly slowed at all - he sailed past the baht bus probably doing 80klm/h with the rear tyre still locked up. If you know sportsbikes then you'll know that rear brakes are basically for decoration only.

Not satisfied, he hardly slows for the Soi Wat Boon intersection and then rev-limits the bike again heading towards Jomtien?

Anybody else see or hear this?

Sad story, but driving in Thailand is a gamble no matter what or where you drive. It is the 6th most dangerous country to drive in of all countries around the world, and I assume it's not 100% because of the farang's driving habits...

Driving a car, elephant, boat, scooter, bike and also walking, drinking, sleeping and using public transportation is a gamble in the LOS especially if you are a Farang.
This ought to be interesting:

Why is it especially dangerous to be a Farang?

Because Farang aren't used to the Thai driving habits, we didn't grow up with the wreckless driving habits as the locals do. At least not where I'm from, we have penalties and repercussions to our bad actions. Might be different for others depending on where you're from (Russian dash cam videos are funny).

Ah, well I seem to have misunderstood what you were implying. Thanks.

horrific accident , I guess this guy was not "used" to drive such powerful motorcycle ..Maybe the rental could ask the people some proper driving license ... shoking one more time .

Yes, and, maybe the stories of the of the motorcycle taxi rider and the driver of the Honda City arte a total fabrication. Wouldn't be the first time would it they lies would be more advantageous

that being honest.

And of course it must have been the Russians fault because had he not been in the country it would not (could not) have happened.

Right. Even the police sometimes helps to 'arrange' this, sometimes for money but even without, just to solves everything fast and easy and without any face-loss for a local involved. They understand eachother very well.

It seems the Russian did not wear any protective bikeclothing so he asked for this to happen. Just bragging with a rental bike, stupid idiot.

There is no protective clothing that would have had any effect on the outcome of this accident - you hit something solid at high speed no matter what you are wearing and you are dead

Iron Man's suit perhaps!

And just this morning while riding down the same stretch of road at 60klm/h what do I see? What appeared to be a person of Arab extraction with no helmet, shorts, flip-flops, fanging what I think was a GSXR600 (single pipe) down the road towards me in what I'm sure was 2nd gear. The rev limiter was cutting in - so this dude is doing 200klm/h+. He probably couldn't find 3rd gear.

A GSXR600 can do over 200 km/h in 2nd gear?

Apologies, I might have over guessed the 2nd gear speed as I was comparing to my GSXR1000 with modified gearing/sprockets - does 220 true with a speedohealer on board in 2nd, but the modified gearing is a bit long so not practical for street riding.

Anyway, according to the web and the attached youtube link, it appears that a stock 600 will max out at around 180klm/h in 2nd. Still scary fast for any <deleted> that doesn't know how to make it stop properly - which was the point I was trying to make.

Apologies, I might have over guessed the 2nd gear speed as I was comparing to my GSXR1000 with modified gearing/sprockets - does 220 true with a speedohealer on board in 2nd, but the modified gearing is a bit long so not practical for street riding.

Anyway, according to the web and the attached youtube link, it appears that a stock 600 will max out at around 180klm/h in 2nd. Still scary fast for any <deleted> that doesn't know how to make it stop properly - which was the point I was trying to make.

I'm a bit out of touch as I gave up superbikes at age 23 (my last one was the Kawasaki GPz 1100), but 180 km/h in 2nd is still very impressive.

What's your best guess of the Russian's speed - in order to cleave his body in two on a round pole?

I'm a bit out of touch as I gave up superbikes at age 23 (my last one was the Kawasaki GPz 1100), but 180 km/h in 2nd is still very impressive.

What's your best guess of the Russian's speed - in order to cleave his body in two on a round pole?

It's anybody's guess, had to be more than 160klm/h and beyond that speed anything can happen. A very experienced riding/racing friend of mine was killed a few weeks ago back home. Was commuting to work on an SV650 and a woman in a 4-wheel drive pulled out in front of him - he moved around her but she kept coming and he hit the front corner of the truck, severing his leg completely off. He died 3 days later of internal complications. RIP my Friend. And that was at 60klm/h in the city.

The Russian chap - that's a long piece of road, haven't measured it but I'd say well over 2klm between intersections (assuming he even slowed for the intersections). A good racer could wind a stock 1,000cc up to 275klm/h on a 1.2 klm backstraight and still have time to brake to 60klm for the left hander from 200m out from the apex - a pro Moto GP rider would reach 330klm/h on the same straight. I'd say the Russian was doing close to maximum speed, just because he could and the road is more than long enough, and the bike would get there in a matter of seconds. Top speed is about 265klm/h.

Edited by Gsxrnz

It's anybody's guess, had to be more than 160klm/h and beyond that speed anything can happen. A very experienced riding/racing friend of mine was killed a few weeks ago back home. Was commuting to work on an SV650 and a woman in a 4-wheel drive pulled out in front of him - he moved around her but she kept coming and he hit the front corner of the truck, severing his leg completely off. He died 3 days later of internal complications. RIP my Friend. And that was at 60klm/h in the city.

That's nearly identical to what happened to me back at age 23. An old lady pulled in front of me and I hit the front part of the car going over it and landing somewhere down the road a bit. Fortunately I didn't severe a leg but broke it and my arm. I was probably going in the range of 80 - 100 kph but most of the momentum went into flight. I don't have full recollection as I woke up in hospital after surgery wondering <deleted> I was doing there.

That's nearly identical to what happened to me back at age 23. An old lady pulled in front of me and I hit the front part of the car going over it and landing somewhere down the road a bit. Fortunately I didn't severe a leg but broke it and my arm. I was probably going in the range of 80 - 100 kph but most of the momentum went into flight. I don't have full recollection as I woke up in hospital after surgery wondering <deleted> I was doing there.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I've been lucky in comparison. Had over 30 spills on the track and never got more than bruises/sprains and expensive fairing rebuilds, but gaffer tape and zip-ties do wonders!.

Had as many spills on the road or in the dirt and nothing more than grazes. The difference is that I was fortunate enough never to hit an immovable object. As one of my first instructors told me, if you're going to hit a car, pole, or tree, aim for the soft part....which of course there isn't.

Next thing he taught me was spend your throttle and spend your brakes as though you would spend money - always keep 10% in reserve for emergencies. Those ideas weren't his, but they're basic rider training for the track. On the road, the same applies, as well as thinking and riding 10 seconds ahead of where you and everything else on the road is - anticipation.

Those same things apply to riding a scooter at 50klm/h in Thailand. The Russian chap had no idea of physics, unfortunately for him. And let's not forget the others that were involved in this incident, I'm sure they will have sad recollections of this day also.

Guy at work was out last night with a friend of the deceased who was following him on another bike.

Story goes he went from the right hand land to the left to overtake a small car then went back into the right hand lane to be met by a 3 wheel scooter food thing just starting to do a U-Turn, Apparently he gunned it to pass the scooter before the U-Turn but was too late and hit it which threw him off the bike and into the pole.

Speed was north of 170km/h but not known accurately as he was accelerating to sneak past the scooter.

Edited by Spoonman

Guy at work was out last night with a friend of the deceased who was following him on another bike.

Story goes he went from the right hand land to the left to overtake a small car then went back into the right hand lane to be met by a 3 wheel scooter food thing just starting to do a U-Turn, Apparently he gunned it to pass the scooter before the U-Turn but was too late and hit it which threw him off the bike and into the pole.

Speed was north of 170km/h but not known accurately as he was accelerating to sneak past the scooter.

Any idea if he was an experienced rider or not? Or been drinking?

Video of after accident

WARNING - DISTURBING VIDEO

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521608351230079

RIP.Really horrible.

Nice to see the Thai finger pointing at half part of the body

I hate that pointing finger on video at dead body every time when someone dies.. He's probably lucky that Russian parents aren't there.Pointing finger like that would make every parent or even a friend furious.

Saw a young foreigner yesterday on a big bike approaching three lanes of virtually stationary traffic at the lights on Central Road with lots of pedestrians weaving between the cars to cross over the road.

But this guy with his big powerful motorbike decided to accelerate (and I mean really accelerate) and duck in an out of the stationary cars. I couldn't think of a more inappropriate place to start speeding up.

What is wrong with these people?

I wonder if he was killed on the spot or not, what a tragic accident

RIP

I would say his health and well being dramatically worsened when his body was torn in 2.

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/09/man-cut-in-half-by-vehicle-accident.html The guy was also cut in two but survived for a while, so I wonder what caused the death in this case.. excessive blood loss, trauma at impact ?

Edited by yoslim

The russian was still alive after accident,torn apart,he was begging to somebody help him.Thai women who have drive near him falled unconsious on road when she saw that.It was really sad to look at that.Just when paramedics arrived he died. Lesson the all who will come/who stay here,don't drive fast in city,its pointless,to much danger.If you really have to drive faster,at least go to sukhumvit or highway.