Record-Breaking Flyer Lands In Phuket

webfact

Record-breaking flyer lands in Phuket

1368501937_1.jpg
James Tan arrived in Phuket last night.

PHUKET: -- Malaysian James Tan landed in Phuket last night (May 13) on his last stop before the final leg of a solo round-the-world flight that will make him the youngest pilot ever to fly solo around the globe.

Mr Tan, who is the son of a Malaysian Chinese mother and a Welsh father, landed at Phuket yesterday afternoon and took off again today (May 14) at 9am for the final two-hour hop to Kuala Lumpur, where he started out on March 26.

At the age of 21, he is a year younger than the former record holder, Carlos Smith, who was 22 when he complete his global fly-round.

Flying a tiny single-engine Cessna 210 Eagle, Mr Tan covered 20,000 kilometres, touching down in Bangkok, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, Russia, Canada, the USA, various countries in Europe and the Middle East, India, Myanmar and then Phuket.

Meeting admirers at the Deva Resort at Nai Yang Beach last night, the little pilot with the movie star looks – who began flying just three years ago – said, “This is my first time in Phuket but it won’t be the last.”

He liked the Thai culture, he said, and certainly more than New York, where he found people “rude and aggressive”.

Were there times on his odyssey when he was afraid? “No,” he said, “There was nothing to be frightened of.”

And a question for the ladies: does he have a girlfriend? “No. I’m married to my work.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/record-breaking-flyer-lands-in-phuket-39326.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-14

I love how this can be news. First person to fly around the world... sure but who cares the size of the plane or how young he is... Im sure in a couple years someone a couple months younger will do it and it will be news all over again.

I love how this can be news. First person to fly around the world... sure but who cares the size of the plane or how young he is... Im sure in a couple years someone a couple months younger will do it and it will be news all over again.

Think you'll find it says 'youngest to fly solo round the globe' .... whistling.gif ...and whether anyone younger does it in a couple of years does not diminish the achievement

Malaysian James Tan landed in Phuket last night (May 13) on his last stop before the final leg of a solo round-the-world flight that will make him the youngest pilot ever to fly solo around the globe.

The fuel bill must be astronomical, but well done for him as quite a daring feat.

Agree re; fuel bill, but he was well sponsored and congratulations to him for succeeding but hardly 'daring'...in this day and age...multiple flight aids, nice little turbo prop reliability..more like a [long] walk in the park for any competent pilot.

Flight plan,take off, navigate,land, sleep,repeat day after day until you arrive at final planned destination.

The original pioneer aviators with not much of anything except 'a wing and a prayer''..yes they were the ones to qualify for your 'daring' comment.

Also kudos to the kid for the extra effort he made as he was born dyslexic and the fact that he has succeeded in gaining a pilots license in itself is an achievement.

Think you'll find it says 'youngest to fly solo round the globe' .... whistling.gif ...and whether anyone younger does it in a couple of years does not diminish the achievement

>Malaysian James Tan landed in Phuket last night (May 13) on his last stop before the final leg of a solo round-the-world flight that will make him the youngest pilot ever to fly solo around the globe.

Sorry... still not impressed. Im sure any pilot with the money for fuel could achieve something like this no matter the age.